3rd Party Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
3rd Party Warranty

The warranty on my 2006 RL will be up very soon. Since Acura Care will only offer extended coverage for 2007 and later models, my only option is to go with a 3rd party.

Are there any reputable companies out there that offer an extended warranty at a decent price? The RL has about 60K miles and I will probably trade it in when it reaches 100K. Maybe worth the gamble the next 49K miles will be trouble free and just forget about any warranty?

BTW I love this forum but the search engine is a hurting unit. Tried doing a search on "warranty" and what came back had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by robarsan; 09-22-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
I sat down with my dealer and talked to them about their 3rd party warranty, my service writer had a long list of places that he hates dealing with.
I dont recall the name of the one I got but when my rear went out I only had to pay for fluids they covered all 4500 dollars of the parts, labor, and loaner.

You can shop around by the key is to make sure the company uses new parts not salvage and make sure that your dealer recognizes them.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
In 2002 I bought a warranty from a bonded company - one of th best in the business - Warranty Gold. $950 cost for a 1998 Acura CL for my son. They went bust before I could use the warranty - underwriters mismanaged the funds. I ended up getting $36 back after class action court settlement. I will never buy an extended warranty from another after-market company.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
The search here definitely sucks. I can usually find what I need here through Google without even typing in AZine. The trick is to use the advanced search. That lets you narrow down which forum you want to look in, time periods, poster, etc. It us definitely more helpful than the regular search.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had warranty gold on a Cadillac I once had, got my money back on 2 repairs then they went belly up.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Ask your dealership how much a warranty is. Leave and immediately RUN to the nearest credit union and deposit the money into a savings account. IF you need a repair, it is there. However, you are 90% assured that it will be the down payment on your next ride.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robarsan
The warranty on my 2006 RL will be up very soon. Since Acura Care will only offer extended coverage for 2007 and later models, my only option is to go with a 3rd party.

You said your already at 60,000 miles but if you werent I would tell you to call Acura of Westchester here in NY. Not sure what they could do over the phone but when I went there last November I had about 59,000 miles on my 05 RL. My CPO warranty was due to run out BUT because I was still under 60,000 Acura of Westchester was able to give me the extended warranty through Acura Care. I paid $1,970 for a four year/48,000 mile warranty. That covers me through November 2014 or 107,000 miles. Only thing is a $100 deductibe.

I LOVE my RL but I realize how important this warranty is. I bought in 2009 CPO at the Open Acura in NJ. In the year from 11/09 to 11/10 I had a few things (ie door handles) malfunction so when Acura offered me the extended warranty in 11/10 I snatched it.

Since I purchased the extended warranty my only major issue (knock on wood) was the rear sunshade motor died. Without the warranty it would have been a $800 fix. I figured fixing that I almost paid for half the warranty and I'm still covered for a while.

I have 3 years left on the warranty and I'm only at 67,000 miles. This is an amazing car and I dont see myself selling it but it's nice to know if I do sell before Acura Care runs out I have that leverage as a seller.

Sorry for the long story just wanted to give my
Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I sat down with my dealer and talked to them about their 3rd party warranty, my service writer had a long list of places that he hates dealing with.
I dont recall the name of the one I got but when my rear went out I only had to pay for fluids they covered all 4500 dollars of the parts, labor, and loaner.

You can shop around by the key is to make sure the company uses new parts not salvage and make sure that your dealer recognizes them.
Glad it worked out for you. I called my dealer's finance dept and told them my situation (voicemail) and never received a return call.

Originally Posted by miner
In 2002 I bought a warranty from a bonded company - one of th best in the business - Warranty Gold. $950 cost for a 1998 Acura CL for my son. They went bust before I could use the warranty - underwriters mismanaged the funds. I ended up getting $36 back after class action court settlement. I will never buy an extended warranty from another after-market company.
Ouch! Your story sums up my hesitation to deal with any of these businesses. Received mail from a company in the midwest offering coverage but when I did a search on them they had too many complaints to count so the mail went into the round file.

Originally Posted by gogogoldrl
I had warranty gold on a Cadillac I once had, got my money back on 2 repairs then they went belly up.
on getting your money back!

Originally Posted by TampaJim
Ask your dealership how much a warranty is. Leave and immediately RUN to the nearest credit union and deposit the money into a savings account. IF you need a repair, it is there. However, you are 90% assured that it will be the down payment on your next ride.
Sage advice. Paid the car off 2 years ago so I have already saved for the next down payment and for any costly repairs that may come up.

Originally Posted by allblckevrythin
You said your already at 60,000 miles but if you werent I would tell you to call Acura of Westchester here in NY. Not sure what they could do over the phone but when I went there last November I had about 59,000 miles on my 05 RL. My CPO warranty was due to run out BUT because I was still under 60,000 Acura of Westchester was able to give me the extended warranty through Acura Care. I paid $1,970 for a four year/48,000 mile warranty. That covers me through November 2014 or 107,000 miles. Only thing is a $100 deductibe.

I LOVE my RL but I realize how important this warranty is. I bought in 2009 CPO at the Open Acura in NJ. In the year from 11/09 to 11/10 I had a few things (ie door handles) malfunction so when Acura offered me the extended warranty in 11/10 I snatched it.

Since I purchased the extended warranty my only major issue (knock on wood) was the rear sunshade motor died. Without the warranty it would have been a $800 fix. I figured fixing that I almost paid for half the warranty and I'm still covered for a while.

I have 3 years left on the warranty and I'm only at 67,000 miles. This is an amazing car and I dont see myself selling it but it's nice to know if I do sell before Acura Care runs out I have that leverage as a seller.
Agree on the amazing car.
That's good information. Will try again to see if there is still a chance to get an Acura Care warranty, if not then I'll probably go without the insurance and see what happens.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I found 3 party is better you don't have to argue with the dealer about fixing things and it doesn't cost much!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a '97 RL and a 3rd party warranty. When the tranny went out I was out more time and money than if I had no warranty. Save your money, 3rd party warranty is wourse than no warranty.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
I disagree that 3rd party warranty is no good but at the same time have to admit: I have never had one before current one...
When I got my RL I was offered GE 4 star plus warranty for 4yrs/48k miles and did research about their warranty online before making a call on the purchase. This 3rd party warranty is not available to public unless you purchase a car from a dealer: I guess they are something like authorized dealer for sales or something like it... anyhow, few hundred miles after it happened my calipers needed replacement. Dealer said it is the right front one that needs replacement, but they also said they will recommend replacing both since it is part of the breaking system and it kind of should be fixed in pairs... no question asked, my warranty covered it all including my 4 day loaner...

That is my experience and only advice I can give: if you are out on the market to get one DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND RESEARCH... I believe above example that if company is out of business you do loose your money... many people recommend warrantydirect.com but it may be pricey!!!

Note: GE 4 star Plus does cover Navigation and Audio system where no other 3rd party warranties will cover that (no matter how comprehensive they claim to be)!!!

Note2: If there is no warranty to your taste take a gamble and plan to replace your RL before 100k miles... once something goes bad - fix it, sell it and get another RL