2010 RL rear differential questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RL rear differential questions

Ok first off, Honda/Acura is a big fuck up with these fluids, trans and differential. atf-z1,ATF dw1, and dspf whatever if I'd misspelled it. Ok if the z1 is not compatible to dpsf or to the dw1 then why from the factory did it come with either of the two transmission fluids? I'm asking is how is safe to put in the all-wheel drive fluid when the back of the dspf bottle says that not to put transmission fluid the rear differential? Umm ok did it not come filled with ATF z1 or ATF dw1 from the factory. Ain't that the dumbest shit I ever heard or saw. So I'm takin that as they had the wrong fluid in to begin with. Seeing that dpsf should came in the sh-awd models, from factory regardless of year and/or model trim, as long as it's a sh-awd. Sounds to me like that's a recall issue, but maybe they aren't pushing that cuz no one and been injured or killed cuz the wrong trans or rear diff fluid was not the right one. ( Dont know if that's true people hurt/killed). I think it's an issue when u have so many different kinds of fluids that are being used for just one part, I understand differentt types of trannies and differentials but for the same model. Crazy dumb. Also if this system, the sh-awd,...has to do with suspension and or steering ( I'd think so, more than a transmission partnership) wouldn't it take steering fluid or that dpsf fluid instead of transmission fluid. When I hear sh-awd I hear/think steering/suspension, again not transmission. I'm confused, then about the front differential, what fluid does that take. Videos and posts say that takes trans fluid, which one do we use here? The z1, d1, or the dpsf!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we should just em
Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

[QUOTE=Benjamin Alexander;16080276]Ok first off, Honda/Acura is a big fuck up with these fluids, trans and differential. atf-z1,ATF dw1, and dspf whatever if I'd misspelled it. Ok if the z1 is not compatible to dpsf or to the dw1 then why from the factory did it come with either of the two transmission fluids? I'm asking is how is safe to put in the all-wheel drive fluid when the back of the dspf bottle says that not to put transmission fluid the rear differential? Umm ok did it not come filled with ATF z1 or ATF dw1 from the factory. Ain't that the dumbest shit I ever heard or saw. So I'm takin that as they had the wrong fluid in to begin with. Seeing that dpsf should came in the sh-awd models, from factory regardless of year and/or model trim, as long as it's a sh-awd. Sounds to me like that's a recall issue, but maybe they aren't pushing that cuz no one and been injured or killed cuz the wrong trans or rear diff fluid was not the right one. ( Dont know if that's true people hurt/killed). I think it's an issue when u have so many different kinds of fluids that are being used for just one part, I understand differentt types of trannies and differentials but for the same model. Crazy dumb. Also if this system, the sh-awd,...has to do with suspension and or steering ( I'd think so, more than a transmission partnership) wouldn't it take steering fluid or that dpsf fluid instead of transmission fluid. When I hear sh-awd I hear/think steering/suspension, again not transmission. I'm confused, then about the front differential, what fluid does that take. Videos and posts say that takes trans fluid, which one do we use here? The z1, d1, or the dpsf!!!!!!!!!!! Well last question is when I did the drain it was hard only cuz of the bolts being so tight, but the fluid was a real dark red almost like oil, but no shavings on any of the drain plugs. I'm guessing that's good, or this service has been done before. Not sure got used with 61,000, so I did it to be on thesafeside. Member over 50,000 price tag. Well before I did the drain and fill it was driving and riding perfectly, after the dpsf fluid went in it's driving rough seems the sh-awd doesn't engage or does the wrong time, almost feels like the tranny is slipping. Is this normal, I'ma say no. But if it is does it need time to get itself right? Please anyone get back to me. If u don't wanna do this forum u can txt or call 254-245-1561 thanks
Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I went rogue about 45k miles ago in the rear diff and decided just to match the fluid I use in my tranny, which has been Valvoline Max Life ATF the past few years now. My tranny started shifting better when I switched, so one I decided - F it, I'll try it for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Well, I just did my third diff fluid change yesterday. (Both chambers). I change at 15k. Some say 30k. I could go either way. I was under there anyway. I haven't noticed anything bad about using MaxLife ATF. Nothing really positive either, other than maybe it's less expensive than my local stealers prices. I have 168k on my 05 RL.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

So does the dpsf really need to be use in the rear diff? I have a2010 RL
Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I think most owners stick with DPSF. if you're still under warranty, definitely.
I took a calculated risk when I tried MaxLife. I already had experience with it and I had some DPSF ready to go if I noticed even the slightest oddity.
For me, I reasoned getting to a dealer is out of way and in my area prices tend to be 40-50% higher. I can swing in to an Autozone on the way home and pick up a jug of MaxLife for $20.
Its your call. Where's your comfort zone? Is the dealer doing this work?

I think read in some other Honda Pilot forums some owners doing the same. That's where I read about MaxLife for the tranny.

In the end, it's your call. Safe answer is follow the manufacturer guidelines.