2009 Acura RL is here

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the seats are ventilated, not cooled as in direct ac.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by White92
Promise me this though: Go to the dealership with an open mind about the front end. Park next to the 09 with your car if you can. That's all I needed. Be sure to post back after you go.
Indeed. I do owe that much to the vehicle. But I will won't promise not to have a sledgehammer in the trunk.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
crap.

I ventilate my seats by myself all the time. I need a cool caboose.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Copied from Honda News
INTERIOR FEATURES
SEATING and TRIM

Perforated leather-trimmed seats

10-way power front seats with power adjustable lumbar support and driver recognition

6-level heated/cooled front seats (Technology Package)

It says cooled, I think that means direct ac.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was so into the differences in the engines, etc... that I totally fogot to try the cooled seats out!

From the Acura brochure, "heated and ventilated front seats"
Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was so into the differences in the engines, etc... that I totally fogot to try the cooled seats out!

From the Acura brochure, "heated and ventilated front seats"
If the car air is already cooled, wouldn't ventilating the seats with that cooled air be enough to get the job done? Unless you're in heat and you really need some serious chilling down there
Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Pro

Yes, but not quite the same as cooled seats.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
White92, you get a big for your initial driving impression. I wonder if they made A-Spec suspension tuning standard on the new RL given your description?

I can't wait to test drive one.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Some ventilated seats pull air down & some push it out. depends on which way the fan blows. GM pull the air in while most push out.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
White92, you get a big for your initial driving impression. I wonder if they made A-Spec suspension tuning standard on the new RL given your description?

I can't wait to test drive one.
Sorry, but doesn't White92 work at a dealership?

I'd like to hear an unbiased review.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lumpulus

I do. But I am first and foremost a fan of the cars. In all the jobs I've ever had, I've never sold anything other than Acura vehicles. I love them all and would never sell anything else.

I grew up in a big Honda/Acura family. I'm not in it just for the "sales". I get a bigger kick out of connecting Acura fans with the cars they love or even better, introducing a new fan to the Acura club.

I don't think my opinion is any more unbiased than any other fan of Acura. I'm not posting here trying to sell a car. I've never met anyone on this board and probably never will.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

Went to my local dealer today. They had two 09's. IMHO, the front end isn't as bad as we were led to believe, but frankly, I think the rear end is much uglier than the 05/08 RL's.

I would have turned in my 05' today and driven off in an 09', but the dealer isn't ready to deal yet. I still have 3 months on my lease and I''m in no hurry, so I'll check back with them in a couple of months.

DaveGee
05' RL
04' V6 Accord
07' AM Vantage
91' NSX (sold)
99' NSX (sold)
Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Go Big Blue!

Isn't it odd that these cars are on the lots but the website is still showing 08's ? I don't think I've ever seen that.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Alpha Geek

I do. But I am first and foremost a fan of the cars. In all the jobs I've ever had, I've never sold anything other than Acura vehicles. I love them all and would never sell anything else.

I grew up in a big Honda/Acura family. I'm not in it just for the "sales". I get a bigger kick out of connecting Acura fans with the cars they love or even better, introducing a new fan to the Acura club.

I don't think my opinion is any more unbiased than any other fan of Acura. I'm not posting here trying to sell a car. I've never met anyone on this board and probably never will.
That's nice, but I'll still wait for a review from someone who will not benefit by talking up the car.

No 09's at my local dealer yet.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Racer

Looks like we only have 1 left now. A guy just turned in his 05 off lease for the 09.

As far as the accessories go, I'm looking at the accessory brochure right now. No suspension or A-spec things of any kind. Not even wheels. We've got:

back up sensors
rear bumper applique'
deck lid spoiler
door visors
door edge film
color-matched splash guards
moonroof visor
door visors
full nose mask
car cover
all season floor mats
cargo net
trunk tray
first aid kit
Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Pro

The sway bars are larger on the 09, the suspension is stiffer as I read somewhere, my guess is it is A-Spec suspension or very close to it.

You could always put the 09 bars on your 05-08 and reduce some body lean if you wish.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

True, he does, but until I or someone else (you? Can't wait for your opinion, either ) drives one, that's all we've got.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Racer

One of the features that you guys will like is one found on the 09 TSX and now the 09 RL. It's a directional microphone for voice recognition and HFL. Meaning, it will only listen to stuff from the driver's seat.

I've tried this on the 09 TSX. I'll sit in the passenger seat and try the voice commands or pair a phone. It won't listen to anything I say. I have to be sitting in the driver's seat. I think it will help with alot of the background noise or if there are people in your car having a conversation, they have to immediately shut up when you're using the voice commands.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Pro

The only time a non-directional mic comes in handy is when you want you passengers to chime in on your HFL conversation. Other than that, I think directional is the way to go. Having said that, however, I prefer a switch so that I can tell the mic what I want it to do .
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Got the brochure for the '09 RL in the mail today. From the pics in the brochure the front is not that bad looking, but will have to see one in person to make a final judgment. Also, the '09's cockpit looks sweet. I wish they would have dumped the Bose 225 watt system for the Acura/ELS 410 in the RDX or 415 watt system in the TSX. The 410 watt system in my '08 RDX blows the Bose away IMHO, which I didn't think was possible. The key is the Dolby Pro Logic II. So much more center channel ouput that you have to turn it down to "0", and the woofer aka subwoofer is awesome, if you like strong bass. The Acura/ELS is not perfect, but it is awful close. BTW, I am not sorry I traded my RL for the RDX. It's no RL, but the RDX is very, very nice for the money.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Got the brochure for the '09 RL in the mail today. From the pics in the brochure the front is not that bad looking, but will have to see one in person to make a final judgment. Also, the '09's cockpit looks sweet. I wish they would have dumped the Bose 225 watt system for the Acura/ELS 410 in the RDX or 415 watt system in the TSX. The 410 watt system in my '08 RDX blows the Bose away IMHO, which I didn't think was possible. The key is the Dolby Pro Logic II. So much more center channel ouput that you have to turn it down to "0", and the woofer aka subwoofer is awesome, if you like strong bass. The Acura/ELS is not perfect, but it is awful close. BTW, I am not sorry I traded my RL for the RDX. It's no RL, but the RDX is very, very nice for the money.
I agree. I like the RDX Tech system the best out of any system we have. Although the 09 TSX is really close. I think the TL system is the poorest out of all of them. Hopefully they fix that and give the 09 TL the 09 TSX system.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

You might as well save the keys on your computer, you're never going to convince Lumpy that your here for any reason other than "cultivating prospects." You'll find he's more fun to
Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Argh! I called my dealer this morning and they don't have any '09s yet. Bummer. I was hoping for a test drive.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM
has been here awhile

Just called Acura of Portland--they've got two of them. They're in the shop getting prepped for the lot. They said they could take me back to check them out. I might drive down and check them out this week.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 06-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by black label
You might as well save the keys on your computer, you're never going to convince Lumpy that your here for any reason other than "cultivating prospects." You'll find he's more fun to
Truth hurts, doesn't it?

You know, last time I was in an Acura dealer to buy a car I spent over $70k, and I've given Acura\Honda over $200k(rough estimate) since I bought my first Honda in 1984.(CRX)...who knows, I may be walking in your dealership in Peabody next to see what you can do for me.

Bob, I won't be driving an '09 RL because I won't be buying one with that ugly snout, so it's irrelevant to me if I drive it or now...I'll be looking at the new TL or the NSX replacement.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Bob, I won't be driving an '09 RL because I won't be buying one with that ugly snout, so it's irrelevant to me if I drive it or now...I'll be looking at the new TL or the NSX replacement.
LOL, I understand! I'm going to hold my nose (no pun intended) so I can get at the updated goodies inside for evaluation. I doubt I'm going to buy either, but want to see what tech I'm going to miss as I keep my RL.

I'll also be looking closely at the 4G TL. So far it looks like a Lexus GS, whose look I happen to like.

Originally Posted by kssod
my friend, sorry! I've been Googling for more reviews daily, but none have come up. Is there that little interest in the automotive press for this car?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am with you nb, maybe the new TL or next GS. we should get together and trade both our silver 06 RL at the same time. Most certainly need AWD in Cleveland. Too bad the new XF SC doesn't come AWD. I can't see why anyone would buy an XF that isn't SC, since every option is included. At around 60k it appears to be a "bargain" compared to the Germans.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Truth hurts, doesn't it?
I never met him, you should ask Kobe
Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Alpha Geek

OT, but KG is the reason the Celts went all the way this year. Whatever they play now isn't real ball anyway....give me Russell, Cousy, Hondo, Cowens(who I met and played ball with back in the 80's after he retired), and Bird, McHale, and the Chief compared to the"showtime" crap they do now. Your boy Ray all but disaapeared in the post season.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
I am with you nb, maybe the new TL or next GS. we should get together and trade both our silver 06 RL at the same time. Most certainly need AWD in Cleveland. Too bad the new XF SC doesn't come AWD. I can't see why anyone would buy an XF that isn't SC, since every option is included. At around 60k it appears to be a "bargain" compared to the Germans.

In VA, the XF is not selling to0 well. The balloons have come down and the tents have gone up. 599 lease for 24 months. I was told if I come in, they can do even better. My Acura dealer told me he will have the new RL in Monday. I will check it out first.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Looks Better Than I thought

I just went by the dealer and they had one CMBS on the lot but I didn't check in the showroom to see if they had another. It actually looked pretty nice. It was silver so that probably toned down the grille a bit. I think the back looks pretty sweet. The new trunk lines do make the car look bigger. The interior looked identical to me except for the console/shifter area and the black plastic bowling ball stuff instead of brown wood.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I have an appointment to drive one on Thursday. Even as critical of the styling I am,,,,and stick to it, I do want to see other items that have been changed.

If anyone else checks out / compare the 09 RL to the current style, aside from driving observations (we all have different takes on the feel of the ride), I am curious about a few interior details, if minor.

Is the split center armrest any thicker? I had read somewhere the padding was thicker. Also, there should be hand grip cups in both door armrests. I expect either can be retrofitted to our RLs and I am on a mission!

When my tech gets back from vacation he said he would investigate the psooibility that XM Weather could be flashed into our NAVIs (with or without a new DVD?) I will also ask about the possibility to retrofit cooled seats.

I'd be a VERY happy camper if any of all of these could be retrfitted onto my CURRET RL.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I have an appointment to drive one on Thursday. Even as critical of the styling I am,,,,and stick to it, I do want to see other items that have been changed.

If anyone else checks out / compare the 09 RL to the current style, aside from driving observations (we all have different takes on the feel of the ride), I am curious about a few interior details, if minor.

Is the split center armrest any thicker? I had read somewhere the padding was thicker. Also, there should be hand grip cups in both door armrests. I expect either can be retrofitted to our RLs and I am on a mission!

When my tech gets back from vacation he said he would investigate the psooibility that XM Weather could be flashed into our NAVIs (with or without a new DVD?) I will also ask about the possibility to retrofit cooled seats.

I'd be a VERY happy camper if any of all of these could be retrfitted onto my CURRET RL.
The hand grips in the door armrest is a good change. It's a bit uncomfortable reaching that pull bar at the front of the door When you are already seated and the door is fully opened, it's a stretch to get it. I would imagine small women can't reach it very easily. For me, as pathetic as this sounds, it's hard to stretch forward to reach it. I just don't bend like I used too
Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Race Director

I just saw an 09 RL commerical. It was using the Navi system to find steak and showing how it got the car around traffic. They also do a big shot of the front grille. This was on fox news around 1:42.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I just saw an 09 RL commerical. It was using the Navi system to find steak and showing how it got the car around traffic. They also do a big shot of the front grille. This was on fox news around 1:42.
That sounds like the TSX commercial.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
This further indicates that Acura's marketing department still doesn't get it.

Navtraffic and rerouting is not exclusive to the RL any more, so this commercial does NOTHING to differentiate the RL from the lesser Acura models.

All it tells me is that Acura has cool navigation systems. It fails miserably in convincing me that I should spend the extra cash for an RL, especially when the TSX has the same navigation system.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro

No one should be surprised that sales stay about the same as before, to the public it is the same car they never knew about.

But still one of the best for a sport luxo sedan, fantastic car.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
This further indicates that Acura's marketing department still doesn't get it.

Navtraffic and rerouting is not exclusive to the RL any more, so this commercial does NOTHING to differentiate the RL from the lesser Acura models.

All it tells me is that Acura has cool navigation systems. It fails miserably in convincing me that I should spend the extra cash for an RL, especially when the TSX has the same navigation system.
I think he really saw the TSX commercial. That description fits the TSX commercial perfectly.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Go Big Blue!

I guess it's official then. You just saw a tv commercial and the website got updated sometime today. I checked it at lunchtime and it still showed the 08. I checked it just now and it's updated for 09

Doesn't look like they are offering many exterior accessories. No wheel options. No underbody kit

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura RL is here