2006 RL vs. Infiniti M35

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 RL vs. Infiniti M35

I'm within a month of making a new vehicle purchase, and have narrowed the list down to the Acura RL or the Infinity M35. I'm looking for feedback from others who have thoroughly compared these two cars.

My thoughts, to start the discussion:
- Generally I'm a strong believer in buying ONLY Hondas or Toyotas (and their luxury variants) because of their legendary reliability and quality.
- I've always thought of Nissan and Infinity as having fairly good quality as well, but not to the same level as Honda/Toyota. But I am not really current on the quality history of recent Nissan/Infiniti's.
- I've heard great things about the new M35, but of course it's a brand-new model so there's little info on it's longer term reliability. I WOULD NOT want to experience all the bugs that the 05 RL apparently had (which are now worked out in the 06)
- I've test driven both. The M35 has snappier performance. The RL is smooth as silk.
- The M Navi system seems more advanced. Better screen, better graphics, 3d view, much snappier performance (moving through menus is INSTANT)
- The RL voice recognition seems more advanced. You can complete commands in one phrase, ie. "Display Chinese Restaraunts" while the M requires you to do it in several steps. Not sure if there's a shorter way on the M... my salesman may not have known how.
- The RL does not lock out Navi functions while driving, which the M does.
- I much prefer the exterior styling of the M over the RL.
- I somewhat prefer the interior styling of the RL over the M, particularly quality of controls and materials
- The M AWD is not as advanced as the RL's, and is harder to get. However, in my area we never have snow/ice, so I'm not sure how badly I need AWD.

These cars end up being very close in my book, and it may come down to price. My Acura salesman has been clear from the get-go that he's got a lot of room to negotiate. They also have a lot of inventory. Doesn't look that way with the M. I could end up saving $8k on the RL compared to a comperably equipped M.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I moved to an M45 sport from a 2001 CL-S, so i'll chime in with my opinions.

but to clarify, you are looking at the M35x I'm assuming.

Quality: Being on Freshalloy and also here, I would give the edge to the M. It has fewer "bugs" than the RL, but they have been reported. The only thing is the RL bugs seem to be the same bugs popping up on many cars...the M seems to be different bugs popping up on a few cars.

AWD: DRAW - For bad conditions, I would not put one above the other. But for performance, the M35x AWD system is less sophisticated but adapts to RWD when awd isn't needed. The RL's SH-AWD system makes the front-heavy RL behave like a rwd car. Whether one is better than the other for handling, i'll leave it up to you. The rest of the handling difference I attribute to tires and wheels.

Performance: Again, i attribute it to tires and rims. but the nature of the m35x I would say is sportier, but you pay for it in gas mileage also.

Navi: I give it to the RL - the learning curve for the M's is steeper than Acura's I'm sure, but I havne't used the RL's extensively enough to have an opinion. After 6 months with the M's, I have no problem using it...it just took me awhile to get used to it. It may be the nature of the navi systems (going from Acura to Infiniti navi), but it's probably that the Acura's IS easier to use.

The M's navi you have full voice functions while driving, and also have limited options like address book and previous destinations. But a hack is also available to make it fully functional while driving.

Voice Recog: Probably RL...although I don't use it much on the M so I don't know.

Ext. Styling: i'll give the edge to the M - but I have the sport model with the 19" rims which I think really make the car. The RL looks great in person, but looks horrible in pictures. I think the style and size of the 17" rims make it look cheap which is why it looks so bad in pictures.

Int. styling: I much prefer the RL's. The blue in the RL is better than the orange in the M, and the layout of the RL is much nicer.

fit/Finish: I have to give this to the M. The RL I test drove had a constant rattle over SMOOTH roads (probably from the rear sunshade). I've had the M in 80 degree weather and in 15 degree weather...no problems. Materials quality i'll give to the M, but I much prefer the aluminum in the M (alum > RL wood > M wood).

Value: RL for sure. The m35x/35 seem to be the big sellers in my area due to snow, so thye may be harder to find and get a really good deal on. The way the RL's are selling, I'm sure you can get a great deal on it.

In conclusions, if i was to make the decision between the M35x and RL, I would take the RL.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well pointed out by mrdeeno on the M vs. RL.

I chose the RL over the M35x. The price point did help in the choice. In addition, I liked the interior layout of the RL over the M35x. Also, the RL looks stunning in Black with Tan interior. Could use better wheels, but you can always get the ASpec wheels.

The ride was louder in the M35x than in the RL. Also, if you decide on the RL, get the dealer to switch out the tires to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. That way, the ride is even more quieter.

I didn't like the wood in the M35x. Didn't like the matte finish.

The only fit-n-finish complaint on the RL is the rattle of the sunshade and the glove box. That will be taken care of soon. Other than that, its been flawless.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I chose an RL over an M35 (non-x). As I've posted before, if it was truly apples-vs-apples, I would have gone M35.

However, the Infiniti dealerships in Atlanta are CRAP. I couldn't pay them to sell me a car (literally). I had simple requests (total monthly payment and SIRIUS), and it became issue after issue with person after person.

I also received a complete buyout on my leased 2004 TL. Had I traded it with Infiniti I probably could have gotten a little more for my car, but the beauty of no hassles (and little paperwork on the trade) was terrific.

M35 = better driver's car.
RL = better luxury cruiser.

-josh
Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lindros2
However, the Infiniti dealerships in Atlanta are CRAP. I couldn't pay them to sell me a car (literally). I had simple requests (total monthly payment and SIRIUS), and it became issue after issue with person after person.
That's like the experience I had when i bought my cl-s.

They lost my business over a matter of $100.

Before the RL came out, I told myself I would consider it only if it "blew me away" in what it offered. when it came out, I wasn't too impressed mainly because of a lack of v8.

I still gave it a chance and went to the same dealership (nearest one). The dealer who showed me the car was a nice guy, but just came out of a jeep dealership or something a few weeks ago, so that may tell you something about how "experienced" Acura dealers need to be to sell $50k luxury cars.

During the test drive, I told him I was also shopping the M45 sport. He told me that I did not NEED a v8 and a v6 is enough for me. He also told me that in our region, I don't want RWD with 19" rims. I tested him by asking why SH-AWD is better than other systems, and he tells me that it's electronic and Acura engineers made a 'better' system than everyone elses, but he couldn't explain the details.

That turned me off pretty much instantly. Since it's MY money, I'm not going to be told by a dealer what I need or don't need and what I want or don't want. And just blindly telling me that the AWD system is "better" doesn't inspire confidence in the dealer if he can't explain why.

the infiniti dealer told me I probably know more about the M than he did, but we went through the whole 9 yards anyway. He even asked me to correct him if he said anything that wasn't accurate. We did the same thing when I bought the car. We spent an hour going over every feature and he asked me to correct him if anything wasn't accurate so he could explain things better with other buyers.

but then again, this acura dealership used to be part of a suzuki dealership (selling suzuki suv's or whatever, not motorcycles) before they moved. the infiniti dealership is part of a jag dealership so that may explain why infiniti had more "experience" in selling $50k cars.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
I'm within a month of making a new vehicle purchase, and have narrowed the list down to the Acura RL or the Infinity M35. I'm looking for feedback from others who have thoroughly compared these two cars.

My thoughts, to start the discussion:
- Generally I'm a strong believer in buying ONLY Hondas or Toyotas (and their luxury variants) because of their legendary reliability and quality.
- I've always thought of Nissan and Infinity as having fairly good quality as well, but not to the same level as Honda/Toyota. But I am not really current on the quality history of recent Nissan/Infiniti's.
- I've heard great things about the new M35, but of course it's a brand-new model so there's little info on it's longer term reliability. I WOULD NOT want to experience all the bugs that the 05 RL apparently had (which are now worked out in the 06)
- I've test driven both. The M35 has snappier performance. The RL is smooth as silk.
- The M Navi system seems more advanced. Better screen, better graphics, 3d view, much snappier performance (moving through menus is INSTANT)
- The RL voice recognition seems more advanced. You can complete commands in one phrase, ie. "Display Chinese Restaraunts" while the M requires you to do it in several steps. Not sure if there's a shorter way on the M... my salesman may not have known how.
- The RL does not lock out Navi functions while driving, which the M does.
- I much prefer the exterior styling of the M over the RL.
- I somewhat prefer the interior styling of the RL over the M, particularly quality of controls and materials
- The M AWD is not as advanced as the RL's, and is harder to get. However, in my area we never have snow/ice, so I'm not sure how badly I need AWD.

These cars end up being very close in my book, and it may come down to price. My Acura salesman has been clear from the get-go that he's got a lot of room to negotiate. They also have a lot of inventory. Doesn't look that way with the M. I could end up saving $8k on the RL compared to a comperably equipped M.
Never mind the feedback from others because it will be useless in the end. It is your decision based on your criteria and your subjective feelings about the car. I for one, think that the M is just plain ugly - but you prefer it. You should be able to get a new '06 RL for around $45 or a bit less depending on where you live. I have no idea on M prices besides those published. Whatever you decide, make it your decision and don't consider anyone's advice because in the end the selection of a car is such a personal thing that the decision should be yours and yours only.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Instructor

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and look forward to hearing more. 1HOT NSX, I totally agree, the final decision needs to be mine, and believe me it will. Well, okay, actually it will be my wife's decision too. But anyway, for this kinda money, I need to be thrilled with my choice.

But everyone's feedback DOES help. It highlights things I may not have thought of, and might also give me insight into issues I didn't otherwise know about. And frankly it's just fun to discuss the pros and cons. There are so many, and right now for me it's NOT a clear cut choice. They are both excellent cars. It will be a very tough decision.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
Never mind the feedback from others because it will be useless in the end. It is your decision based on your criteria and your subjective feelings about the car. I for one, think that the M is just plain ugly - but you prefer it. You should be able to get a new '06 RL for around $45 or a bit less depending on where you live. I have no idea on M prices besides those published. Whatever you decide, make it your decision and don't consider anyone's advice because in the end the selection of a car is such a personal thing that the decision should be yours and yours only.
I agree that the decision is yours and yours alone, but not considering opinions and views of others, especially those that own and/or have more familiarity with these cars, is simply VERY BAD ADVICE!!!

The reason these forums exist is so that the uninformed can get informed, whether it be by facts and/or opinions and experiences with whatever cars they are considering.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I take many people's opinions on many decisions in my life and find it FAR from useless. "That restaurant you were at last week, I'm may go there, how did you like the food?", "I'm thinking of moving into this neighborhood, how do you like living here?", "You work for XYZ, do you like it 'cuz I'm thinking of putting my resume in?", "I'm applying to ABC University, how was your experience there?"

Blindly making a decision based on opinions of others is ignorant, but at the same time not considering the opinions of others is also ignorant.

And a post telling someone, who asked for feedback, to never mind the feedback received definitely IS useless.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lindros2
I chose an RL over an M35 (non-x). As I've posted before, if it was truly apples-vs-apples, I would have gone M35.

I also received a complete buyout on my leased 2004 TL. Had I traded it with Infiniti I probably could have gotten a little more for my car, but the beauty of no hassles (and little paperwork on the trade) was terrific.

M35 = better driver's car.
RL = better luxury cruiser.

-josh
In my case I'm also seeing a big difference in the quality of the dealerships. Our Acura dealer is SO MUCH BETTER than Lexus or Infinity. I'm not going to let this one issue make the choice for us, but it certainly earns the Acura a few points in my book anyway. Our Acura salesman is extremely helpful, patient, and attentive. He also came right out and said he can be quite flexible on the price, and we are no where near sitting down to go over numbers yet.

The impression I have right now is I can get the RL for around $44k, while I'd be lucky to get a comperably equipped, NON-AWD M35 for $49k. We're already stretching our budget for the new car, so this may swing me to the RL. Plus, while I definitely value performance, a smooth luxury ride is the top criteria.

Now off to FreshAlloy.com (an Infiniti forum) to see what those folks have to say about this question. I posted the same thread there. Should be interesting...
Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 PM
office monkey

My biggest issue with the RL is the crappy OEM tires. Oh and I wish it was a bit quieter while under way but other than that the car is great.

I havent driven the M so can't comment on it other than I prefer the RL's exterior and interior look over it. The RL exterior looks classy while the M looks...meh.

Material quality of the RL is top notch. I have sat in basically all of its main competitors and IMO the RL's material quality is best. However, they did cut a few corners with some things like the sun shade which is a flimsy piece of crap and the sound deadening materials in lke the doors are low because of the ANC. I do not like this.

Oh and the RL mileage isnt that great.

I feel the RL is a great overall car worth its price and could recommend it to anyone. However, I would guess the M is a great overall car as well so it really will coem down to what matters the most for you and which car is better i those areas.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
That's like the experience I had when i bought my cl-s.

They lost my business over a matter of $100.

Before the RL came out, I told myself I would consider it only if it "blew me away" in what it offered. when it came out, I wasn't too impressed mainly because of a lack of v8.

I still gave it a chance and went to the same dealership (nearest one). The dealer who showed me the car was a nice guy, but just came out of a jeep dealership or something a few weeks ago, so that may tell you something about how "experienced" Acura dealers need to be to sell $50k luxury cars.

During the test drive, I told him I was also shopping the M45 sport. He told me that I did not NEED a v8 and a v6 is enough for me. He also told me that in our region, I don't want RWD with 19" rims. I tested him by asking why SH-AWD is better than other systems, and he tells me that it's electronic and Acura engineers made a 'better' system than everyone elses, but he couldn't explain the details.

That turned me off pretty much instantly. Since it's MY money, I'm not going to be told by a dealer what I need or don't need and what I want or don't want. And just blindly telling me that the AWD system is "better" doesn't inspire confidence in the dealer if he can't explain why.

the infiniti dealer told me I probably know more about the M than he did, but we went through the whole 9 yards anyway. He even asked me to correct him if he said anything that wasn't accurate. We did the same thing when I bought the car. We spent an hour going over every feature and he asked me to correct him if anything wasn't accurate so he could explain things better with other buyers.

but then again, this acura dealership used to be part of a suzuki dealership (selling suzuki suv's or whatever, not motorcycles) before they moved. the infiniti dealership is part of a jag dealership so that may explain why infiniti had more "experience" in selling $50k cars.
Unfortunately, it seems like this RL buying experience is all too common.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

i think acura should have yearly seminars how to treat a customer right and make it mandatory for dealers who haven't attended it yet to attend, and charge the dealerships for it also, thereby making sure that the dealers are more likely to try to hold onto their experienced people.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think that would be necessary if Acura wants to sell ANY vehicle over $45K, whether the RL or an SUV. Otherwise, Acura will stay in the minor leagues, where it seems to excel.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I felt the interior materials of the M were nicer than the RL, namely the leather and the plastics (door handles, center console).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by psteng19
Personally, I felt the interior materials of the M were nicer than the RL, namely the leather and the plastics (door handles, center console).
I have a 2005 RL and have researched intensely the M35. With the new features of the 2006 RL, I think that the RL is the better car. The only thing that you might want to consider is if you have kids, the M is available with a DVD player.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. E in TN
I have a 2005 RL and have researched intensely the M35. With the new features of the 2006 RL, I think that the RL is the better car.
What new features? Do you mean the outrageously priced Tech Package and Back-up Camera option?? Those make the RL MSRP above $53
Old 03-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Good pros and cons for both cars. I went with the RL based on its interior and ergonomics. I figure I'm getting the car for myself (and not others). Considerig 99% of the time I'm with the car I'm looking from the inside, out (and not the outside, in), the ergonomics and general interior of the RL is what won me over vs the M35, GS 300 and Cadillac STS
Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tully44
Good pros and cons for both cars. I went with the RL based on its interior and ergonomics. I figure I'm getting the car for myself (and not others). Considerig 99% of the time I'm with the car I'm looking from the inside, out (and not the outside, in), the ergonomics and general interior of the RL is what won me over vs the M35, GS 300 and Cadillac STS
I was a little different...I figured that 90% of the time I'm in the car, I would be driving it so I wanted the better driving/feeling car.

had it not been for the M45's V8, I would've gotten the RL. DAMN YOU...VEEE-ATE! YOU RUINED IT FOR THE RL!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I was a little different...I figured that 90% of the time I'm in the car, I would be driving it so I wanted the better driving/feeling car.

had it not been for the M45's V8, I would've gotten the RL. DAMN YOU...VEEE-ATE! YOU RUINED IT FOR THE RL!!!
Exactly.
Some people prefer driving, others prefer riding.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

I've tried both

I had an M35 and the RL each for a week of use for reviewing for a local newspaper. I was also interested in trying each because my lease on my 2003 Saab 9-5 was coming up and I needed to replace it or buy it. Prior to trying each I was seriously considering buying the M. It was getting rave reviews, had a nice interior and my wife's Infiniti QX4 has been extremely reliable. After driving both I changed my mine and bought an RL for the following reasons:

1. The RL's seat was much more comfortable, comparable to the Saab which has some of the best seats of any car.
2. The M's GPS was more difficult to use, and, unlike the many GPS's I used, would not take me to home correctly, trying to take a roundabout route on a non-existent road. I suppose I could live with that, but there would be that constant reminder...... The RL's GPS and technology was terrific, although no bird's eye view. But it has traffic reports. Great sound, XM radio, better user interface. Consumers Report got it all wrong when they complained that there's many ways to do the same thing on the RL's interface. That what makes it so easy to learn and use. I love the big dial and the ease at inputting text. One complaint? Searching for business name gives you a list with no preference for one in the next town or across the country.
3. The RL seemed like a much better buy. Nothing extra and excellent discounts.
4. Interior fit and finish was better than BMW and Lexus, and at least as good as the M. An example: the display at the bottom of the speedometer is of such high resolution and so clear that it looks like printing. On the Lexus the display is low res and the text is pixelated or jaggy. A small detail, but very noticable. The RL has a great blue light as you get in and a great looking instrument panel. I prefer the wood on the RL.

What about reliability? I read the C&D and if you look at the number of unique problems there are about 3 or 4. I had the GPS reset and got an email on the car screen apologizing and saying it was caused by the traffic updates from XM and has been corrected. As to the key issue (they don't like the key-like switch), I think that's a nit. I don't see any difference with a puch button switch. I've left the car on in my son's Prius.

My conclusion is they are both excellent choices, but the RL seems to provide a better value and has the most high tech of anything available.