2006 Rl Is Tech Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Rl Is Tech Worth It?

Is it worth the extra cost to get the TECH package. I am considering a leftover 06 RL. I am also buying in the US and importing to Canada. Any others had a bad experience doing this???
Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Another member mentioned doing the same thing. Make sure you look at warranty. This Canadian mentioned that Canada Acura would not honor any warranty work for a US RL. Talk to your local dealers or Acura Canda FIRST. I didn't think the tech package was worth it. Run Flats actually made me NOT want to buy it simply for the expensive replacements. I'd rather get some nice aftermaket quiet tires.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I have the 06 tech package, and I think its worth it.
First off, if you do any kind of highway driving longer than 15 minutes, the ACC is very pleasing.
Secondly-the collision mitigation system is a life saver. If you only have to use it once, its more than paid for itself.
as for the runflats, it depends on your lifestyle.
If you are single- you probably wont care about it.
If you have a wife and family-the peace of mind you have knowing that a sudden blowout wont put you and your family at risk is worth the extra money it will take to replace them. Not to mention that you dont have to worry about replacing a flat in snow or rain or otherwise unsafe conditions; just drive until you reach safety.
So far I have 25K on them, and they are holding up pretty well.
It looks like I will be getting 50K out of these tires.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced

New, it's a lot of money, but used, I think it's worth it as the package is only worth $500 used according to kbb.com.

The runflats come with a roadhazard warranty which I would consider a necessity on these tires.

I like the safety aspect. A severe blowout at high speed can cause quite a wreck on normal tires, but would be much less of a problem on a PAX runflat. Otherwise, all the unsprung weight is definitely a bad thing.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Talking another vote for tech pack

I have a 2006 rl with tech and agree with sotiri. I love all the gadgets in the car but feel they are distracting. I'm able to more safely talk on the cell phone while on the highway using the acc. I've had the CMBS go off once or twice while driving on city streets. For me the tech pack was one of the reasons I purchased the RL over the M35, GS or BMW 5 series.

Originally Posted by sotiri
Well I have the 06 tech package, and I think its worth it.
First off, if you do any kind of highway driving longer than 15 minutes, the ACC is very pleasing.
Secondly-the collision mitigation system is a life saver. If you only have to use it once, its more than paid for itself.
as for the runflats, it depends on your lifestyle.
If you are single- you probably wont care about it.
If you have a wife and family-the peace of mind you have knowing that a sudden blowout wont put you and your family at risk is worth the extra money it will take to replace them. Not to mention that you dont have to worry about replacing a flat in snow or rain or otherwise unsafe conditions; just drive until you reach safety.
So far I have 25K on them, and they are holding up pretty well.
It looks like I will be getting 50K out of these tires.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Greedy Capitalist Pig

THe ACC makes the Tech package. The CBMS is okay, I guess its a good feature. I could live without the run flats - but they're actually very good tires. So I have no complaints.

The ACC is awesome. I drive between Seattle and Portland a lot. And I can set the ACC while I leave Portland and not touch the gas until I get to Olympia (about 2 hours). Its great.

I wouldn't have my RL any other way.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Its also keen to keep in mind that if they sell 20,000 RL's, only 2000 will be with the tech package.
Now that doesnt mean it helps in your resale, but it does mean you have a limited edition car in an otherwise limited sales lineup.
To me, the resale doesnt show up in 2 years, it shows up after 4-5 years.