2006 Rl CMBS light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012 | 04:00 PM
Instructor

2006 Rl CMBS light on

The CMBS light came on the system is still working, but I cant get light off. I have tried disconnecting the battery,checked battery its good, still no reset. Is there a way to reset the CMBS system? Thank you
Old 09-26-2012 | 05:07 PM
Pro

How do you know the system is still working? Normally when CMBS is on, it means that the system is disabled because of some fault and the codes need to be read by a Honda HDS system to determine the problem.
Old 09-27-2012 | 08:10 AM
Instructor

I was traveling on highway and there was a car ahead going say 65mph I set at cruise at 70mph and the car caught up and the started slowing down when I got to close
Old 09-27-2012 | 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by backfire
I was traveling on highway and there was a car ahead going say 65mph I set at cruise at 70mph and the car caught up and the started slowing down when I got to close
That's the adaptive cruise control, not CMBS. CMBS gives you "BRAKE" warnings in the MID if you're too close and/or accerating toward a slowing car in front of you (Stage 1), gives "BRAKE" warning and tugs on the drivers shoulder belt rapidly (Stage 2), and then starts to pump the brakes to slow the car down if it senses an accident is imminent. The ACC and CMBS both use the millimeter wave radar behind the front grill, and the two systems do work together when ACC is engaged, but they are separate systems. It's likely the CMBS is NOT working if the light is on.
Old 09-27-2012 | 10:43 PM
Instructor

Thanks now how do i get the CMBS light off. Tried disconnecting battery still stays on when restart car
Old 09-28-2012 | 12:23 AM
Pro

You need someone with an HDS system to read the CMBS code that your car is throwing.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (09-28-2012)
Old 09-29-2012 | 03:31 PM
Intermediate

I agree this is a pain. It occasionally happens to me and used to worry me a lot thinking that major expensive components were failing, but now I understand how it all works I'm more chilled.

There are two sensors that have caused my CMBS light to come on. The first was the battery voltage sensor and a new battery solved the problem. The second was the brake pressure sensor and bleeding the brakes/new rotors was the answer. Also, on occasion when it is very hot and the Aircon is on max and/or the ventilated seats are on and I am also stationary, say at a toll booth or at lights, then the CMBS light comes on due to the heavy loading on the battery but this usually clears itself within a day or two. However, when the adaptive cruise kicks in with a more serious attempt involving more braking effort, like pulling in behind a car slowing for a red light that also clears the CMBS warning light instantly.

I hope this helps. CMBS is a fantastic addition to these cars. I understand that in Europe they are actively considering making collision avoidance/adaptive cruise a requirement for all new cars as the safety advantages are so well proven now.
Old 09-30-2012 | 09:49 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all your ideas I have had the battery checked and just got through bleeding the brakes. Light still on. Since I am 5 hours to nearest dealer or big city I will try looking for a honda or acura code reader, unless any more ideas.
Old 09-30-2012 | 12:27 PM
Pro

Thanks for all your ideas I have had the battery checked and just got through bleeding the brakes. Light still on. Since I am 5 hours to nearest dealer or big city I will try looking for a honda or acura code reader, unless any more ideas.
Just FYI... whatever you do, DO NOT fall for those stupid Chinese readers on E-Bay that claim to be the real HDS. They look authentic but the innards are not all there and they come with some hacked version of the HDS software that don't work with every car (even though they say they do) and messes things up.

I know because I tried one before... Not a good experience... lit up my dash like a christmas tree when I plugged it in. Thankfully, everything reset to normal after I yanked the battery for a few minutes. Then it took me over 6 months to get them to give me a refund... and I only got partial! NOT WORTH IT!
Old 10-01-2012 | 08:02 AM
Instructor

I try not to buy crap from China Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-02-2012 | 08:46 AM
Instructor

Looking at scanner to help me find problem is the Actron CP9185 good unit for my cmbs issue
Old 10-02-2012 | 10:22 AM
Pro

Looking at scanner to help me find problem is the Actron CP9185 good unit for my cmbs issue
I doubt any unit that is NOT the Honda HDS will be able to read the Honda specific codes.
Old 10-05-2012 | 11:52 PM
Racer

you could probably try one of those HDS/HIM on EBay (from $130 to $200), and when you're done you sell it back here a little lower than what you paid.

i know you said you have a mac, but i'm sure you can find a friend/neighbor/co-worker with a Windows laptop that is willing to help you out. HDS software is not big and doesn't require a powerful hardware.

absolutely no generic scanner is going to show you CMBS codes
Old 10-13-2012 | 10:45 AM
Instructor

This is my 5th acura. This car drives nice, but with all the crap like the pax tires and now this I will NOT buy another Acura, this 2006 rl is their bastard child(my opinion)
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

You know, I went to California once an met a real asshole. I'll never go back there again.
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

This is my 5th acura. This car drives nice, but with all the crap like the pax tires and now this I will NOT buy another Acura, this 2006 rl is their bastard child(my opinion)
I've got the same car - 2006 CMBS/PAX RL. Did you not know about the PAX tires before you bought the car? They are expensive, but they are really good tires and pretty durable. The only two issues I've had with my car are the driveshaft bearing whistle and the stroke sensor. Not the cheapest fixes (Acura covered half the cost of the new driveshaft), but not bad for a 7 year old car with 91,000 miles on it. No car is perfect. If you think the comparable brands are better in terms of reliability, you're in for an unpleasant surprise.
Old 10-13-2012 | 06:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I hear your frustration....

But when you decide to buy a vehicle with many 'first in class' or 'first in brand' with <fill in the blank> you accept some level of risk knowing it has not been market proven.

That said, the slow selling, very under appreciated RL / LEGEND has all but forged and defined Acura's product language as well as trickled down to Honda (which it served as the Honda flagship as well).

That is an impressive impact for such an unrecognized vehicle. Even considering the complexities of features and engineering in this car it has been the most bullet proof vehicle I have owned.

If you are unwilling to accept the risks of leading edge technology in your vehicle, I suggest you consider an Accord with a manual transmission and a stripped model withthe least technology features.

Old 11-15-2012 | 09:41 AM
Instructor

Cmbs

So the warning light has been on for over a month. I tried everything you guys offered up. We just drove with it since its 5 hours to a dealer. My wife had to drive to Denver with the dog. State trooper wrote her a warning for no front license plate (DH). I guess he was bored. Anyway when she returned I found the front plate and installed it. Then I noticed when I drove her car the light was off. So either it just got enough fresh air, the plate in front redirected something, or it didnt like the fact that I bought a jeep for her to drive.
Old 11-16-2012 | 12:08 AM
Racer

I think that it was plate related thing....
Thats why front plate is mandatory here in Finland, to prevent those odd electrical problems.

Btw, maybe that long trip charged the battery good and it is now ok for a while.