2005 RL key fob gremlins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL key fob gremlins?

My 2005 RL seems to have contracted electronic demons. For lack of a better explanation, it does not seem to be recognzing either remote. Keyless entry stopped working as well as using the buttons on either remote. When locked, I have to use the key to enter. Caar starts and the "Driver 1" indicator shows, but I have a feeling this is a default. XM is not working and the nav system has gone back to a "default" not recognizing any pre-sets. Car does start like "normal", without having to use a real key. I did replace the batteries in the remote and Paired/unpaired to no avail.

Being a 2005, the battery is 5-years old, but does not give any indication of being dead.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
While not necessarily related to your key fob issue, a number of electrical gremlins occur as a result of a weak battery. Since the battery is 5 years old, you should load test it and see what the results are. You will probably need a new battery regardless of what you do to the fobs...

With regard to both remotes not working at all, there may be a control module issue. I would take the car to the dealer for a diagnosis...but I really would check the battery, because if it is below spec, they will want to change that at the dealership.

I recall there was a service news that addressed weak batteries. You will find the service news bulletins in the 2G RL garage. I would try 2006 and 2007 first. If it is not in one of those 24 bulletins, then 2005 and 2008. It is probably most convenient to download bulletins from 2005 to current, so you can search more easily in the future. These things have nice nuggets in them that you can occasionally bring to the dealers to help your case.

In an unrelated case to key fobs, I was sent a wrong part, and I sent an email about it with a note about an article in the service news on how it was easy to confuse the part numbers for particular vehicles. The vendor indignantly wrote back that they know what they are doing, and then 20 minutes later, apparently after reading the link, sent me an email apologizing, saying the correct part was coming in a new fedex, and for me to return the original one.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
5 years on OEM battery is long!
The telltale sign of weak battery is the wheel not fully telescoping forward when you start the car (if you have it set to retract when you turn it off).
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, after a few hours with my great Acura dealer, we have a new battery and they also "erased" and re-booted the system. The only thing I had to do was re-do my Blackberry hook-up. Very wierd experience, especially since I was able to start and drive the car without it recognizing a key fob. Repair was reasoably price and my Acura dealer was above and beyond as they always are.

Happy ending