1month / 1000 miles experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1month / 1000 miles experience

One month has gone by since the 06 RL/Tech purchase, having put in a little over 1000 miles. The overall experience has been nothing short of superlastive and the RL is proving to be more of a "driving car" then I had anticipated.

Overall, The ride comfort is excellent. The passengers only beef has been their seat can not be raised. The Pax tires make the ride a bit harder then regular tires but they grip well. SH-AWD has improved AWD handling a few notches, (RL is better handling then my Audi A6 Quattro). I am not disappointed by the V-6 power production. I don't do too many 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds, nor do I know any people that need to. The engine hauls its weight nicely and then some. Enough said. The technology in this car is just awesome. If you are not intimidated or overwhealmed by technology, this is your car.

No serious issues but a few other things to share. DVD player not functioning on delivery. It was replaced the week after with new unit without a glich. (Got to drive the surprisingly peppy TL loaner for a day). The sound system is pretty good but DVD-Audio just blew me away. The best car audio I have heard to date. ('Frampton Comes Alive' almost litterally does).
I haven't had a chance to learn and use all the voice commands but the ones I use often (about 15-20 of them) have worked perfectly. When in doubt, asking for "help" as a voice command will get you the entire list of commands if needed.
Traffic incidents display is very useful if you navigate the highways as often as I do. Nav System has worked flawlessly and it's among the best I have used. It would probably be the best if it could only automatically zoom in and out on the basis of your speed. Voice recognition Blue-Tooth is very, very useful since I move around daily between my offices and saves lots of time with calls while in transit. My next mission will be to see if I can link my Palm T/X and dial directly from the device's phone book. (has anyone linked their Palm or other hand-helds to their their RL?)

Lastly, anyone who has done his/her homework before purchasing a car will undoubtly agree on the value of these vehicles. It also seems that generally people are becoming more aware of the understated class and value of this car. To this point, in the last 4 weeks I have had three people approach me at a gas station asking me more details about the RL. (An audi owner, one BMW owner and I think a Jaguar owner). What do you all make of them apples?

Thanks to everyone in the RL community for putting the time for all the great threads. Best regards to all.

CTMAN
Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice review, thank you! Enjoying mine more after two months and 3k miles.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Agree. I now have over 5,000 miles, now that my recent trip is completed. No problems aof any kind and a really enjoyable vehicle overall.

When I go out to my garage, I tend more and more to choose the RL over the TL.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CTMAN,

Congrats on your 06 RL Tech Package! I too... bought a 2006 RL, but I got the Non-Tech Package. I have about 900 miles on mine and I have had it for about month too. This is my first Acura and I am totally satisfied with my purchase. I looked at Infiniti M35, Lexus ES350/GS300, and Acura TL/ RL, but went for the RL when I saw all the gadgets and technology in the car.... and I got a deal I could not pass up! The RL gives you the best bang for the buck! Everytime I get in for a drive... short or long distance, I am so impressived and content with my decision to buy the RL. It's everything and more for the money! I don't understand the slow sales for the RL, but for me... it allowed me to buy the car for the great value. Love me RL!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTMAN
One month has gone by since the 06 RL/Tech purchase, having put in a little over 1000 miles. The overall experience has been nothing short of superlastive and the RL is proving to be more of a "driving car" then I had anticipated.

Overall, The ride comfort is excellent. The passengers only beef has been their seat can not be raised. The Pax tires make the ride a bit harder then regular tires but they grip well. SH-AWD has improved AWD handling a few notches, (RL is better handling then my Audi A6 Quattro). I am not disappointed by the V-6 power production. I don't do too many 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds, nor do I know any people that need to. The engine hauls its weight nicely and then some. Enough said. The technology in this car is just awesome. If you are not intimidated or overwhealmed by technology, this is your car.

No serious issues but a few other things to share. DVD player not functioning on delivery. It was replaced the week after with new unit without a glich. (Got to drive the surprisingly peppy TL loaner for a day). The sound system is pretty good but DVD-Audio just blew me away. The best car audio I have heard to date. ('Frampton Comes Alive' almost litterally does).
I haven't had a chance to learn and use all the voice commands but the ones I use often (about 15-20 of them) have worked perfectly. When in doubt, asking for "help" as a voice command will get you the entire list of commands if needed.
Traffic incidents display is very useful if you navigate the highways as often as I do. Nav System has worked flawlessly and it's among the best I have used. It would probably be the best if it could only automatically zoom in and out on the basis of your speed. Voice recognition Blue-Tooth is very, very useful since I move around daily between my offices and saves lots of time with calls while in transit. My next mission will be to see if I can link my Palm T/X and dial directly from the device's phone book. (has anyone linked their Palm or other hand-helds to their their RL?)

Lastly, anyone who has done his/her homework before purchasing a car will undoubtly agree on the value of these vehicles. It also seems that generally people are becoming more aware of the understated class and value of this car. To this point, in the last 4 weeks I have had three people approach me at a gas station asking me more details about the RL. (An audi owner, one BMW owner and I think a Jaguar owner). What do you all make of them apples?

Thanks to everyone in the RL community for putting the time for all the great threads. Best regards to all.

CTMAN
CTMAN, HONDA/ACURA truly makes great vehicle , I just recently bought a new TL-S, you get a return investment well above other make's whether it be vehicle longevity/ reliablity or resale value , and yes sincerely understated!!..... I've owned 5 HONDA /ACURA'S in the last 12 year's ..I'm definitely a believer!....Iv'e put on over 1K miles in the last 23 day's and not a single problem! I wish I had answer to your palm computer question!....well take care, and now that your'e once bitten , WELCOME!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Palm linking

CTMAN,

I doubt that linking the Palm will work. Not sure whether I have tried to link mine or not, needless to say I don't have it working. The RL is basically a "handsfree" setup (think headphone) for your cell phone.

You might be able to parlay the Palm linked to the cell phone (to dial) and then the cell linked to the RL to talk, but I kind of doubt that because most of the bluetooth stuff I've had contact with is one thing at a time (cell phone bluetooth busy with Palm, it won't deal with the RL). As always, YMMV.

If you DO accomplish this, I'd be interested in hearing how you did it and the results (can't live without it or exercise in frustration for not much gain).

Tom