09 RL CMBS vs 12 Genesis 3.8 tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
driver foot rest...I thought it was horrible in the RL, in the Genesis my foot is not even close to fitting it causing me to drive with the leg at 90 degrees sometime. The winner? Honda Civic!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Genesis is a nice ride. They really stepped it up after they hired the Europeans engineers, well at least they no longer are trying to "replicate" other Japanese and Europeans cars. Why not get the equus?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kamakaro
Genesis is a nice ride. They really stepped it up after they hired the Europeans engineers, well at least they no longer are trying to "replicate" other Japanese and Europeans cars. Why not get the equus?
more weight, more money, no personal driver.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

so...it rained today and the wipers only have 3 modes: automatic, intermittent, and super quick intermittent.

With auto you get like 5 selections like any normal wiper, except it overrides what you ask for with whatever it feels at the time.

I almost went outside to rip those things off as I couldn't come up with a setting I wanted.

I felt a little better when a BMW in front of me was wiping at hyper speeds
Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
037, i am reading all of your Pros/Cons feedback on the Genesis and i have to admit that all the little things that you listed so far as "negatives" will drive me crazy! I am seeing less and less reason to replace my RL with a Genesis.

Please keep in mind, I am a huge Hyundai fan (multiple Sonatas and Elantras in the family) and i admire the progress they are making, the great value, reliability, looks, etc ..... BUT all the little annoying things you've mentioned so far, for me, are not acceptable in a $40K+ car. I guess i am too spoiled by the attention to detail in the RL. I simply love the interior and all the functionality that comes with it. Maybe the RL is not sporty and "fast", but i love the soft, rich materials, solid feel, and i enjoy the amazing stereo and reliable bluetooth, comfy seats, and the AWD system. I've driven the RL in some really nasty weather in the mountains and it felt like a luxurious tank, better than my old Audi quattro. This is impressive!

Before i bought the RL i test drove multiple luxury cars in the same class - BMW 5-series, MB E-class, A6, Jaguar S-type, Volvo S60R, Lexus GS/older LS ...you name it and i have to admit that the RL "won" because of the nice interior, cool features, and the AWD system. There was no Genesis at the time.

I was seriously thinking about replacing the RL with a Genesis in a couple of years and the only issue i had with the idea was the lack of AWD. Now i read about poor wiper performance, so-so seats, so-so transmission, average interior materials, average electronics, and i am starting to wonder if i will be really happy in a Genesis?? How well will this car age??
Maybe i should just go test drive one for an hour.

I would be really curious to hear your HONEST feedback after a year or two of ownership. I am sure you can also list a lot of positives, after all - you did buy the car for a reason. I am also aware that there is no perfect car.

Last edited by danmm7; 07-08-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

well, a lot of things I'm listing are mainly due to the fact that I've had the car for barely 2 and a half weeks and drove the RL for 2.5 years. I guess some stuff I would get used to or figure out with time.

As far as transmission, it's starting to get used to me and I enjoy effortless acceleration which RL could never do due to it's weight and AWD power loss. The handling is definitely improved and the brakes are excellent.

The leather seats seem of good quality, but I have not yet got used to them, my back hurts less now after sitting 3 hours in the car but thigh support...well, I can't tell what's wrong with it yet but the legs do hurt sitting in traffic. Never noticed that in the RL.

I will definitely post updates here and I'm about to move up to 20" wheels and wider tires to improve wet traction and back sliding in the rain if driven beyond grandma speeds.

OE tires are Michelin Saver A/S which means good on gas, not so good on sport. These tires are better than the MXM4 that came on the RL btw.

The only reason I'm missing the RL at this point is because I already "fixed" everything I didn't like with it, Genesis wins hands down for 1 to 1 comparison when bought new.

the AWD system is technically isn't necessary for over 80% of driving and I'm going to see how the wider 255 Continental DWS will fare when the winter hits. I'll still have my stock wheels as backup in case I gotta put winter rubber on them.

Either way, both cars got their pro's and cons and I think I'm gonna warm up more to the Genesis after driving it a bit longer
Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

well, I think I bashed the Genesis long enough, let me get some positives out there

1. There is a little LCD screen on Tech models between tach and speedometer that shows anything from gas economy to radio to GPS directions
2. The gas mileage is excellent and I was sad to realize that using 93 wasn't improving that or the acceleration...now I use 87 even though it still disgusts me a bit
3. 31.4MPG on the highway with A/C full blast...that's a serious improvement over 22mpg best on the RL (this was driving around 70mph)
4. Stock tires are much better than RL MXM4's
5. I tell people it's a Bentley and they just nod their heads
6. the GPS is very detailed and all exits show food and gas information before you actually reach the place, POIs are actually up to date and useful!
7. The audio system seems to be more clear than the 10 speaker Bose in the RL even though the woofer is not as strong (17 Lexicon speakers in the Genesis)
8. The know controls are easy to use and all options are very straight forward, almost no learning curve at all (they call it the DIS)
9. Cooled seats actually cool the back too (driver only)
10.Heated seats in back...several people accidentally pushed the button and confirmed immediate fire down under
11.The acceleration is effortless in ECO mode and boy racer when you turn that mode off. Either way the engine produces almost no noise at all even though people start flying by.
12.Parking sensors front and back! They show up on the center LCD display in green, yellow, red in 3 zones front and back. Now you don't have to wonder how much room you got in front of you
13.Turning radius is much smaller than the RL, even my wife noticed
14.The steering wheel is all leather...I hated the top wooden part of the RL, hands would slip, just not my thing
15.you can see what radio station you listen to on the liddle LCD up front so you can have the GPS up on the big screen
16.mirrors fold when you get close twice on remote, or hit a button inside car. They auto open if you hit open twice on remote or button in car.
17.windshield wipers...are great but what's really unique is that when you spray the washer fluid, it comes out foamy and doesn't fly straight over the car, it kinda sticks to the window and then the wiper drags it across which makes for a better clean and you don't have to slow down to properly spray it.
18.front and rear reading lights are white led's STOCK!
19.4 piston front BBK are standard even if you buy the base 2012 model on 13" platters!!
20.HD radio!
21.Huge trunk

and now some of the things that annoy me, and I might repeat my self

1. When you hit the lock button, you hear a clack...that's unprofessional
2. Ceiling liner as well as sun blocking visors...they feel nasty to the touch and my wife agrees
3. There is a weird thing about retained power...once you turn the engine off it's hard to guess when you can close the mirrors, windows or when you just have 0 power, I can't seem to find the pattern
4. The foot rest is still the biggest POS
5. I still can't figure out how to use my phone through the speakers vs the phone it self, and the manual has some nice steps on how to fix it ... and they don't work.

so far, not regretting my purchase
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
... Genesis wins hands down for 1 to 1 comparison when bought new.
The Genesis WINS hands down, or is hands down a BETTER VALUE?

I have to agree with danmm7 that there are things listed here that are almost a must for me, as far as features go, missing on the Genesis. I think it is also an unfair comparison in some respects that you are comparing a 2012 car to your 2009 car. In order to make a statement as bold as that with the tables completely level, I think you would have to compare at the very least a 2011 RL if not a 2012. For example, I expect an improvement in the RL transmission now that it has 6 speeds compared to your 2009 5 speed.

I can't disagree that it is a better value due to better specs in some areas and being cheaper. However, "wins hands down" is a little hard to believe from this thread.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

well, the only difference for the 11 on the RL side is the folding mirrors, quiet wheels and something else that currently escapes me.

Otherwise 2011 RL has only one advantage, SH-AWD, which also eats up all the gas and makes car slow...so it's double edged.

Value wise, there is no comparison. Is it the same quality? probably not, but it's close enough for me to keep it. The roof and the wisors really do feel like sh!t but...you can't get anything else like it in the price range anyway. If I wanted top of the line I would have gotten the Equus.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

6-speed tranny and back-up sensors standard. Still, there also has to be some electronic quirks that have changed even a little bit. And who knows about 2012...?

All I'm sayin is it doesn't seem like a fair comparison to say "wins hands down", but you are intitled to your opinion.

Last edited by oo7spy; 07-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
037, can you post some pictures of the interior? Would love to see some good pics of everything you are talking about (headliner, dash, audio controls, gauges, seats, door panels, etc)

Chris
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CFoote
037, can you post some pictures of the interior? Would love to see some good pics of everything you are talking about (headliner, dash, audio controls, gauges, seats, door panels, etc)

Chris
I will give it a shot over the weekend
Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
6-speed tranny and back-up sensors standard. Still, there also has to be some electronic quirks that have changed even a little bit. And who knows about 2012...?

All I'm sayin is it doesn't seem like a fair comparison to say "wins hands down", but you are intitled to your opinion.
well, I think the comparison is as fair as it's going to get since I was driving the RL, top of the line, since it was practically brand new for 2.5 years, if nothing else, I'm spoiled by it when I nit pick with the Genesis.

as far as 2012, don't hold your breath as Acura is in slow motion. Either way, the only way for them is up up the price ladder, top of the Line Genesis is still in the range of base RL either way you slice it.

Back up sensors on the RL, wonderful, but does it give you a 3 point front and back visual indication or just the annoying beeps? my money is on the beeps.

RL is a very fancy looking and feeling car, but as far as technology, it's mostly 7 years old and needs a very thorough update.

P.S. I wouldn't mind the SH-AWD bolted on to the 5.0 r-spec Genesis while keeping the 19/29 mpg of the V6...maybe in another 5 years we can get that.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
I will give it a shot over the weekend
Thanks man
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Interesting stats on Hyundai and Acura owners. One of my very successful clients who owns a family company that is more than 110 years old, and one of Virginia's largest privately held corporations, owns and drives one of the original Genesis sedans.

Also looks like the Genesis will finally get AWD

037, nice looking Genesis.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...i/?mod=WSJBlog
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Does it have anything like CMBS on RL?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pint
Does it have anything like CMBS on RL?
yes and no. It has the active cruise control that can speed the car up or down based on traffic ahead.

It can also flash a red warning light if you're passing someone too close or approaching someone too fast but it does not have a feature to grab the seat belt or heat the brake.

So essentially it's useless on that front...

as far as cruise control comparison, the RL drops cruise control at about 30mph give or take, Genesis will stay on cruise control until the car stops, even at 5mph assuming you started out over 30.

The good thing about the RL is that even though you select a short following distance it still looks at maximum distance when judging when to apply CMBS while the Genesis is pretty stupid and looks at the short distance you selected so if you ever hit traffic while on cruise control it won't have enough room to stop the car as it will be "surprised" and will have no room (pretty dangerous if you ask me).
The following users liked this post:
Pint (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
yes and no. It has the active cruise control that can speed the car up or down based on traffic ahead.

It can also flash a red warning light if you're passing someone too close or approaching someone too fast but it does not have a feature to grab the seat belt or heat the brake.

So essentially it's useless on that front...

as far as cruise control comparison, the RL drops cruise control at about 30mph give or take, Genesis will stay on cruise control until the car stops, even at 5mph assuming you started out over 30.

The good thing about the RL is that even though you select a short following distance it still looks at maximum distance when judging when to apply CMBS while the Genesis is pretty stupid and looks at the short distance you selected so if you ever hit traffic while on cruise control it won't have enough room to stop the car as it will be "surprised" and will have no room (pretty dangerous if you ask me).
Ok. Thanks for comprehensive reply. Looks that koreans are going right direction and they are doing very well, but they are still few miles behind of japanese.

p.s. Any regrets yet for letting RL to go?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Safety Car

Ok. Thanks for comprehensive reply. Looks that koreans are going right direction and they are doing very well, but they are still few miles behind of japanese.

p.s. Any regrets yet for letting RL to go?
none what so ever. I never could fully appreciate the luxury of the RL because I never cared for it. The wooden paneling, the wooden steering wheel, that annoyed me. I prefer plain aluminum/leather look.

Only time i appreciated the ceiling/visor liner was if I have to touch them, which isn't that much, but the one's in the Genesis definitely feel like crap to the touch.

The extra power of the Genesis is definitely welcome and the added fuel economy is great as well.

Did I mention heated rear seats? more than a few people already put their elbows on the armrest in the back and lit their behinds on fire
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
Did I mention heated rear seats? more than a few people already put their elbows on the armrest in the back and lit their behinds on fire
Yes, you have had it mentioned in one of previous posts.

Just looked on eBay. There are only two RLs in "new" shape, yours and another one, brand new in white for $48k in South Dakota. But that one doesn't have CMBS as I can see.
I wish Honda reconsider their silly decision to withdraw this model from UK market.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Safety Car

want me to ship you mine? I bet it would be a pain...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
want me to ship you mine? I bet it would be a pain...
Yes, it would. Yours is left-hand drive. Aslo servicing this car here will be pain in... And finally insurance for imported
vehicle will be huge. So... thank you for the offer, but it is easier for me to relocate my self to the States.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Safety Car

haha, nice. We're not even going to mention the premium gas it requires and it eats a lot.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
haha, nice. We're not even going to mention the premium gas it requires and it eats a lot.
Our normal "non-premium" is 95 called "Unleaded". Nothing lower than that. The premium here is 98 called "Super Unleaded" it also not available on all petrol stations, only on some. I do not think it needs this kind of petrol anyway.
This car's apetite isn't hihger than on my previous e65 735.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

briefly got the drive the RL today, what a difference...the gas pedal is much more sensitive as in I get power right away. The brake pedal felt much more firm and had less empty travel.

Cooled seats only work on the butt, not on back, point for Genesis.

A taxi was inching towards the light, I was making fun of him by inching more (he was in a prius) eventually we inched practically into the traffic...then green light and I ended up with a pedestrian in front of me...let em pass and caught up, the guy still didn't want to let me through.

Paddled my way to 1st gear, gave it a little gas and prius jumped out the way, +1 for angry intake

I took some pics of the two cars side by side while swapping the summer tires off the RL so I'll post some tomorrows.

Genesis brake calipers definitely look bigger than the one's on the RL.

RL looks slammed next to the Genesis...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Chris
I still remember...should get more pics later today.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Yours is left-hand drive.
And I thought all these years I was right handed!

037, when you say the RL drops CC at 30, do you mean the ACC quits slowing down at 30? Does it shut CC off? The reason I ask is Legend #1 wouldnt do CC under 35ish. Period. I could have sworn I checked the RL CC w/out ACC and it went lower than 30.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

yes, somewhere around 30 ACC drops off and blinks a warning light for the driver to wake up and start pushing pedals again...I never had regular CC on the RL for obvious reason...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

what's a comparison without some photos...I'll be uploading more as soon as I'm done playing with them

Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

I'm too lazy to do any sort of photo editing so what you see is what you get...and then I go sleep.

Camera used: Canon T2i with EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS lens.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Those nighttime shots look terrific!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Chris
sorry it took me so long, here's a few I snapped today:

Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Nice outfit.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Nice outfit.
that's in the middle of times Square, there's mice everywhere...that is not me

I thought it was just a silly joke from a guy in Washington (on the Genesis forum) but I guess it's spreading to UK as well

P.S. It only cost 2 bux to have em stand there for me
Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

some on the Genesis forums complained that the mouse was blocking the car...here's one with a dog

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Instructor

nice

Nice pictures, 037. I see some really cool details and touches. If all this technology in the car lasts well over the years, or at least keeps up with the durability of Lexus/Acura, Hyundai has a winner.

I wonder how this brand new Genesis will compare against a 1-2yrs old Lexus LS460. Have you looked at a newer LS460? For some reason i think that they will make a great used luxury car (if i don't want AWD) and age well.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by danmm7
Nice pictures, 037. I see some really cool details and touches. If all this technology in the car lasts well over the years, or at least keeps up with the durability of Lexus/Acura, Hyundai has a winner.

I wonder how this brand new Genesis will compare against a 1-2yrs old Lexus LS460. Have you looked at a newer LS460? For some reason i think that they will make a great used luxury car (if i don't want AWD) and age well.
I'm not sure if Lexus would drop to the same price levels in 1-2 years and I doubt financing rates would be anywhere near what Hyundai is offering. Plus...the fuel economy on the Lex cannot compare to this one at 19/29.

I got a little tired of the fuel consumption on the SH-AWD and RWD Lex is still 16/24.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
Plus...the fuel economy on the Lex cannot compare to this one at 19/29.

I got a little tired of the fuel consumption on the SH-AWD and RWD Lex is still 16/24.
Well, lets be fair.... the Lexus has a very nice V8 and the 19/29 Genesis has only a V6. I am sure the LS460 is faster and smoother at any speed.

I've driven a GS430 and older LS430 and the 4.3L engine was a lot of fun, yet super smooth. I can only imagine that the newer Lexus 4.6L 380hp with 8-speed AT will be even better.

I was referring to a brand new Genesis 4.6 (V8) vs. 1-2y/o Lexus LS460 (V8). That will be a good comparison - now and 5 years later.

Interest rates are not that bad for pre-owned cars these days. My "used" RL was financed @ 3.25% for 60mo when i got it. Pretty good, i think.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

to be fair, Genesis is pushing 333hp and C&D guesstimates 0-60 around 5.5s

either way, the Lex is way more money.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 037
to be fair, Genesis is pushing 333hp and C&D guesstimates 0-60 around 5.5s

either way, the Lex is way more money.
Car & Driver can guesstimate 0-60mph all day long but a stock V6 Genesis will not be faster than a 4.6L V8 Lexus. Plus, it is not all about 0-60 ... there is more to driving & speed than that. A nice V8's torque curve is a lot more attractive.

If we're going to look at magazine reviews - There are some reviews of the V6 Genesis Coupe (it weights only 3,500pds) and the best it did was 5.9-6.1 seconds in real life - stock. Check Edmunds and a few other sources. Does this make it a slow car? Not really, but it all comes down to which magazine you want to read and believe.

The 3.8 Hyundai V6 is a very nice engine but it is not a V8 killer.

I have hard time believing that the V6 Genesis Sedan will do much better than that, stock. Your own numbers confirm it. When you get multiple 0-60 in the 5.5 - 5.6 sec range, show us pictures & video.

As far as Lexus' high cost, i disagree ... here in the SF Bay Area a 2008 LS460 with less than 50k miles, still under full warranty, can be easily found for $40-45k. How much more is this than a brand new Genesis V8?? Maybe on the East coast things are different.

Quick Reply: 09 RL CMBS vs 12 Genesis 3.8 tech