06 RL Back Up Fuse #7 Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017 | 01:27 AM
3rd Gear

06 RL Back Up Fuse #7 Story

So I very recently got my 06 Acura RL and I love it, very comfy and a nice highway car. The car came from florida so this was its first winter, I had it at school with me and one night we had a very bad winter storm and it got very cold, I go out to go the store and it wont unlock with the fob when I get up to it, so I pull out the manual key and unlock it. This story is probably sounding very familiar to many of you, but anyways, I try to turn the knob, and nothing. I've only had the car for a few months so I had no idea at the time what was wrong. After messing around for a very long time I finally figure out how to take the knob off and put the physical key in to start it, I go to do this and as soon as it starts, the alarm goes off. I try messing around with it again to at least get the alarm to stop. I am very lucky and do have a second key fob so I was able to start it and hop out with the other key and unlock the door twice which thank god turned it off. So I then lived like that for the longest time. I continued to research and eventually found this forum and found other people talking about the problem, I bought more fuses once and they all blew when I would put them in, so that confirmed what the problem was.

So I drove with the manual key for a few months, as well as no nav screen, no fob unlock functions, had to manually open gas lid and trunk, had to manually unlock and lock each door, and a fun little warming light that would pop up every time I drove it. At first when I discovered what it was I was freaking out, I saw people saying how it cost them like 750 dollars per side to get fixed, I am in college and simply don't have that kind of money, eventually found people talking about just unplugging them and thought that might work but I have been waiting for nicer weather to take the door panel off as I don't have a garage. Finally did it today and it was the easiest thing in the world, took about 30 minutes, popped a new fuse in and bingo. I remember one thread I saw someone did one side and then a while later the other side started smoking so he did that one too, so I just went ahead and did both. Nav screen back and no need to use the manual key to start it anymore, i'm beyond happy I was able to fix it, I never used that feature anyway so no loss.
Old 03-23-2017 | 08:04 AM

Glad you got it all sorted out, would drive me nuts using the key for so long, RL spoils us

I've only experienced the keyless entry feature once & that was when I met up with a local RL When I purchased the car the previous owner had just dealt with the door handle issue and had them unplugged. Have new handles waiting to go on but just haven't gotten around to it, the joys of hoarding parts..
Old 03-23-2017 | 09:07 AM

^ If it makes you feel any better, I found a half stripped RL in a local yard and I salvaged every electronic component I could find that was still attached to the car, so I have a box of RL electronics just hanging out
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017 | 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator