05 Rl Vs 05 Q45.....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Rl Vs 05 Q45.....?

OK....
I'm in a quandry.
My best east coast offer on an 05 RL is about 45.3k, which is OK but not great considering end of year for the run.
I now see 05 Infiniti Q45's being discounted 8 to 9k, putting them at 49k or so.

So, a 4k difference between the 2 of them...that's not much considering everything.
So, which would you choose....... & why?
Steve C.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
The Q is a pure luxury car in the vein of the LS430. The RL is a luxury car with a sporty side. My belief is that the RL is a lot more FUN to drive whereas the Q is intended for more sedate luxury cruising. My bias toward the RL is well documented, but I believe that it is an awful lot of car for $45K. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve C
I'm in a quandry.
My best east coast offer on an 05 RL is about 45.3k, which is OK but not great considering end of year for the run.
I now see 05 Infiniti Q45's being discounted 8 to 9k, putting them at 49k or so.

So, a 4k difference between the 2 of them...that's not much considering everything.
So, which would you choose....... & why?
As hondamore said they are very different cars. I would prefer the RL over the Q45 in a heartbeat. However I do agree that the RL can be had much cheaper than your $45.3 quote (just check the recent prices paid link).

Also consider that due to the new M35/45 the Q45 is selling very poorly and more than likely will be redesigned which may hurt an '05 Q's resale value.

NOTE TO hondamore: the above mention of the M was in context to a question. Hope you do not mind my mentioning it?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:11 PM
9th Gear

Different Class

Just took delivery of my RL and an MDX for my wife.

I agree, I drove the Infiniti M35 & 45 but the Q45 was too big for me. Also, amazingly no Bluetooth - a major feature for me. In my opinion the RL wins hands down....no comparison on a technology level and the SH-AWD is spectacular in my opinion. Can you tell I'm an enthusiast?

Price? $45K including 18" rims.....not bad - I think.

Gauntlet
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gauntlet
Just took delivery of my RL and an MDX for my wife.

I agree, I drove the Infiniti M35 & 45 but the Q45 was too big for me. Also, amazingly no Bluetooth - a major feature for me. In my opinion the RL wins hands down....no comparison on a technology level and the SH-AWD is spectacular in my opinion. Can you tell I'm an enthusiast?

Price? $45K including 18" rims.....not bad - I think.

Gauntlet

Congrats. It is a good price - considering the rims alone cost roughly $1400 plus maybe 700 for tires? Hopefully they gave you your old rims and tires back (so you can keep for the winter or sell on ebay for a few hundred)

Congrats
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 AM
DCD
Advanced

The Q, historically, has terrible resale. If you plan on driving the wheels off it, then that's a good deal. But if you turn in after 3 years, you are in for a less-than-favorable awakening.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 AM
office monkey

I'd take the RL any day over the Q45. I am willing to bet the RL has a more luxurious interior and obviously better handling so all you get with the Q is a smoother ride and better acceleration and i guess more rear seat room.

Have you loooked at the new M? I'd think it would be better than the Q.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
Have you loooked at the new M?
Don't let hondamore hear you say stuff like that

Just kidding
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

The new M is much closer to the style of driving of the RL than the Q but unfortunately is selling well enough that you won't get anywhere near the type of discount that you can get off a Q. They will probably be redesigning the Q in a couple of years but it will still be a big luxury cruiser without the sportiness of the RL or the M. I get the feeling, Steve C, that you like the RL and are only considering the Q because of the huge discount available. If you enjoy driving, then the RL is going to be a lot more fun to drive and is still 4K cheaper than the Q. As RobL suggested, drive the RL and the M (they are the closest in driving style and price) and buy the one you like better. RobL and I both say that because we are confident that when you drive both, you'll buy the RL just as we did.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hondamore
As RobL suggested, drive the RL and the M (they are the closest in driving style and price) and buy the one you like better. RobL and I both say that because we are confident that when you drive both, you'll buy the RL just as we did.
Guys...
Just as you said, the Q is a totally different beast. I did not realize that!

The Infiniti salesperson inquired what other vehicle I am looking at, and told them I am close to final deal on an RL.

Sooo......happy to hear that, I was nudged into an M35x, with an appointment to test drive it on Saturday.

Until then, I am curious as to what made the RL a better driving experience over the M35x. I am expecting them to be real similar....considering how alike they are.
The wife & I are going to drive an RL again later that Saturday to refresh our feel for it.

Steve c
Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't discount the SH-AWD - it is for real!! I have driven my RL for 3 or 4 months now and every single day I am still amazed at how well the SH-AWD makes this car handle. To be brutally honest, though, I bought the RL because I preferred the interior, I preferred the exterior styling and (as my forum name would suggest) I love Honda products because of the outstanding reliability I have had with them in the past.
When you make your decision, you should consider that the stock 17 inch tires are much noisier and rougher riding than the Pirelli PZeroNero M&S 18's I put on the OEM 18 inch wheels. If you can get a deal on the 18's (they can be had on ebay for about $1350), the upgrade makes a huge difference in the ride quality and handling (I say that even though I couldn't find the limit of the crappy OEM 17" tires either due to the wonders of SH-AWD). Alternatively, you could get the dealer to upgrade the 17's to Michelin Pilot A/S which will also improve the ride quality and handling. There are detailed discussions of tires and wheels for the RL in this forum.
My two cents is to drive them both, have your wife drive them both and then buy the one that "feels" right for the both of you.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve C
Until then, I am curious as to what made the RL a better driving experience over the M35x. I am expecting them to be real similar....considering how alike they are.
I admire hondamore's enthusiasm for his ride, but as he admits he does bring a biased opinion to the table. He does offer a very pro-Acura slant that I find helpful, as I too am undecided about the cars. While not claiming to be un-biased (who is really), I have owned three Acura's (an '01 MDX; '02 TL-S; and '04 MDX) as well as an Infiniti FX35 and am currently in the market for a sedan and after much research and test-drives have narrowed the list to the RL or the M35.

To answer your question I have not been able to claim EITHER one offers a "better driving experience over the" other. Each is an outstanding ride, with many similarities and some significant differences. I wil say that the RL's SH-AWD is receiving kudo's for handling, however it is a new and unproven (for the long haul) system. Infiniti's ATTESA E-TS has also received its share of kudo's and has been around long enough to have a proven track record.

Bottom line (to me): both are great cars that I find very similar and thus it comes down to the little things to make the final decision (e.g. styling preferences, Navi, cameras, noise levels, seats, etc.) Unfortuneately I find no clear cut winner here either. I however am in no hurry so more reading, looking, driving, etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Anyone who equates the Attesa E-TS system with SH-AWD is an Infiniti troll. The Infiniti system can change from 100% RWD to a 50/50 split between front and rear. Whooptidooo!! The SH-AWD can shift torque distribution front to rear AND from side to side including sending a disproportionate amount of torque to the outside rear wheel in cornering which makes the car "want to turn". The "Super Handling" part of the SH-AWD is what sets the Honda system apart from all others. It is cutting edge, STATE-OF-THE-ART technology. The Attesa E-TS system is ancient technology with a catchy name attempting to make it sound high-tech. Meanwhile, msu79gt82, while you were typing that garbage, you missed out on an opportunity to sell another Infiniti. Keep that up and you'll be selling Hyundai's soon. We'll know when you start comparing the RL to the Sonata for months on end.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Racer

Anyone who equates the Attesa E-TS system with SH-AWD is an Infiniti troll. ... Meanwhile, msu79gt82, while you were typing that garbage, you missed out on an opportunity to sell another Infiniti. Keep that up and you'll be selling Hyundai's soon. We'll know when you start comparing the RL to the Sonata for months on end.
Dude you got issues
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
Dude you got issues
Classic response from someone who cannot refute what was said. Similar to the response that I got when I challenged you to produce 0-60 times for the M35x (remember your outburst when I mentioned that you are making comparisons to a car that you know little about). Similar to the response that I got when I mentioned some of your other troll posts. What is really sad is that when your boss catches you wasting all of this time trolling on internet forums, you won't be able to afford the Sonata. I suggest you practice the phrase, "would you like fries with that?".
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Racer

Classic response from someone who cannot refute what was said. Similar to the response that I got when I challenged you to produce 0-60 times for the M35x (remember your outburst when I mentioned that you are making comparisons to a car that you know little about). Similar to the response that I got when I mentioned some of your other troll posts. What is really sad is that when your boss catches you wasting all of this time trolling on internet forums, you won't be able to afford the Sonata. I suggest you practice the phrase, "would you like fries with that?".
I'm about ready to report your abuse and personal attacks to a moderator! I resent being called a troll and you are doing nothing to "promte" this great forum with your blatant fear and dread of any competition to your beloved RL - dude its just a car, not a member of the family.

Give me one good reason to know the 0-60 times for any car I freely admit that I'm not in the market for a race car and could care less how fast they go. Dude I can't tell you the 0-60 times for the RL But I do know that various publications have given DIFFERENT times - so WHICH one is correct Mr. RL?

I am through with you - good luck with your RL. I may or may not buy one, buy if I do will be in spite of your rants and not due to anything useful you have contributed. Your outrageous bias and negativity have disqualified your opinions.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, no offense, but please take this to PMs. We all have our opinions and we all have some knowledge on cars. Some people know more than others, but this isn't a BMW forum where attacks are made on each other. Acurazine is known as a decent place to talk about the cars and the problems.

Now let's get back on topic and answer Steve C's question. As far as I am concenred, I didn't even look at the Q (or the M seeing as how it is the comprable one) because of my experience with my local Infiniti dealer -and the fact that my last Infiniti was repurchased under the lemon law due to a leaky sunroof.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
office monkey

I think the reason I got the RL instead of waiting for the new M and GS is that I wanted a car with AWD at that time (before the winter) and I liked the look of the RL's interior over that of the M and GS. Oh and the exterior of the RL is IMO much nicer than thsoe two sedans although I have yet to see a GS in person so I can't make a final conclusion on tis exterior. I have seen the new M and I think the car looks weird.

As far as the M35x is concerned, I highly doubt it will have superior performance to the RL so I dont see why someone would take it over the RL unless they prefered the look of the M and wanted AWD. No way the 35x's awd system will be superior to the RL's system so IMO, the AWD vrsion of the M is not a good all around alternative.

I will say I am delighted with how the car handles and am glad they put this type of AWD system in the car. I will also say that apparently more auto manufacturers are looking to use torque vectoring systems in their AWD cars so it would appear Honda hit the nail on the head with this type of system.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

I apologize to the honorable members of this forum. The characterization of the M35x's AWD system being the equal of the the SH-AWD system was not true and I wished to clarify this fact.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Racer

I apologize to the honorable members of this forum. The characterization of the M35x's AWD system being the equal of the the SH-AWD system was not true and I wished to clarify this fact.
Please, read my posts carefully. I was responding to Steve C by the way!

First I PRAISED the SH-AWD performance, acknowledging it was receiving media kudos!!! Then I truthfully said it was a new system w/o a reliability track record. Then I said the Infiniti AWD (the same performance based AWD in the Skyline GT-R) had also received media kudos - which it has!!!!!!!! Finally I stated that the Attesa system had a proven track record for reliabilty - which it does!!!!!!!!

And I stated the above facts (nothing more and nothing less than these facts) in the context of Steve C's question regarding perceived driving experiences. In MY limited tests drives here in flat Houton, TX I was impressed by the performance and handling of both vehicles.

I have publically asked for a truce, but I guess its just not coming
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Steve C, I like the Q45. It fits all of my criteria as a luxury sedan. It is powerful, has a pleasant ride and is comfortable for driver and passengers. The Q45 is fitted with rich and visually appealing appointments. In my opinion, it is a very fine automobile. At the price the Q45 is presently being discounted, I find it to be a very good deal.

As others have stated, the Q45 and the RL are vastly different automobiles. Each has wonderful characteristics. However, I chose the RL and not the Q45, M45 or any other of the luxury sedans that I checked out because the RL gives me everything I want in a car. Unlike many who criticize the style of the RL, I think the 2005 RL is visually sleek and beautiful. Besides, it drives like a dream providing me with tactile feel of control that no other car I have driven has given me.

Of equal importance to me is that I am convenienced the RL is the most technically advanced car out there. Yes, I like the Q45; but, compared to the RL, it is just another traditional luxury sedan. Now, if I could afford a DB89, I would give you a completely different answer.

Good Luck Steve C in your choice.