'03 TLS owner considering '06 RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 TLS owner considering '06 RL

I need some info from you guys. My '03 TLS (35K miles) has been one of the worst cars in terms of reliability I have ever owned (and my first new car purchase BTW). I am looking to dump it, and I have been considering an RL as the replacement. Since my purchase in Oct '03 I have had the following issues:
  1. Replaced CD changer. Would no longer switch between CD's and they got stuck.
  2. Replaced left front caliper
  3. Warped rotors. Resurfaced at 16K miles.
  4. Fixed steering wheel audio controls. Not responding.
  5. Replaced transmission and torque converter at 16K miles.
  6. Sunroof rattle repaired.
  7. Rotors warped. Replaced rotors and right caliper at 33K miles.
  8. Replaced transmission @ 34K miles.

The car has also been in for various rattles in the dash area and drivers seat buckle area, but the dealer either claimed they couldn't hear anything or that they repaired it, only for the rattle to appear a very short time later. I have been dealing with a dash rattle now for over a year that cannot be located by the dealer. It occurs over almost every sharp bump in the road. The car does not feel solid when it rattles on every bump.

After the 2nd tranny replacement, I have a hard idle which the dealer claims is normal, but I can tell the difference from before.

Anyway, I thought I recently swore off Honda products (coming from someone who has owned a '92 Prelude, '95 Legend, '99 TL and an '03 TL). However, I am now convinced that the TL being assembled in the good ole USA has a lot to do with the build quality (Flame on if you want, but now the 3rd gen TL forum is busting at the seams with rattle issues. And we could spend days talking about the MB ML and the BMW X5).

Can you guys give me some general feedback about the '05-'06 RL? Mainly build quality? I have searched the posts, but only came up with scattered rattle issues. I would hope the car being built in Japan has made this a non-factor, but build quality is a deal/Acura killer for me. If anyone has gone from a 2nd gen TL to a 2nd gen RL, let me know what you think.

Acura is running some great deals right now on the RL. May hold out for the ES350 also. I dunno.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I know people out there will disagree with me on this, but I think there is a difference between a Honda/Acura built in the US vs Japan. The earliest 2005 RL's had their issues, but I believe they have since been corrected. Although it is too early to tell, I'm sure the new RL will offer years of reliability. Also, the new RL and the 2003 TL are closer in size and style, in my opinion, while the new TL is noticably shorter than its predecessor.

By the way, I've had my 2005 RL for 13 months now. No problems yet.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I had 2 Legend Coupes, 88 and a 95, pretty solid. I've had 2 2003 CLS's, both pretty solid too, but they were both 6 speeds, not automatics. The auto trannies on the CL and TL were definitely not bullet proof.

I sure would be hesitant to give a car co. (even Honda) more money after having that many problems with one of their models though. Did you come out okay or take a beating on the sale of the TL if you sold it already. I would definitely use the TL and it's problems as a bargaining tool at the dealer you bought it from if you shop an RL.
THe RL is a fine car, seems pretty reliable.
good luck.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Did you come out okay or take a beating on the sale of the TL if you sold it already. I would definitely use the TL and it's problems as a bargaining tool at the dealer you bought it from if you shop an RL.
THe RL is a fine car, seems pretty reliable.
good luck.
I still have the TL. I owe about 15K, and it's spotless. Trade-in per KBB should be about 17.5K.

Acura Client Services has been in contact with me since the 2nd tranny making sure I'm happy and if I'm experiencing any more problems. I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow and seeing if they can maybe even get me a better deal on an RL or maybe top trade $$ for the TL.

Other than the deaf service tech's, I have had no problems with my dealership.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 AM
1st Gear

Although I didn't have all of your problems, I had my share. I think the rattling was the worst. anyways, I went from a lowered 03TLS to a 05RL and never looked back. the RL is much better in almost all aspects. The interior is much nicer. the seats are very comfortable. the leather is softer. very quiet interior. excellent stereo system. interior space is actually about the same as the TL.
I did notice that on some of the buttons (mirrior adjust, trunk/gas cap release, memory seat), the top coating is starting to come off. other than that, no problems.
If you haven't test drove a RL yet, go check it out and you will notice the differences right a way.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by rfrys
Anyway, I thought I recently swore off Honda products (coming from someone who has owned a '92 Prelude, '95 Legend, '99 TL and an '03 TL). However, I am now convinced that the TL being assembled in the good ole USA has a lot to do with the build quality (Flame on if you want, but now the 3rd gen TL forum is busting at the seams with rattle issues. And we could spend days talking about the MB ML and the BMW X5).
Part of the rattle issue is the movement towards more "eco friendly" materials that can be recycled more easily. You end up with harder plastics and inferior build quality.

Go from a Legend, 1st gen TL or 1st gen RL and compare it to the more recent Acura vehicles and you'll see what I mean.

You've owned a '95 Legend and I'm sure the dash doesnt squeek or rattle.

I have over 140,000 miles on my '97 TL and have had one rattle. Just one. It was a wiring harness in the passenger door. I put some some foam and elastics around it. Quiet as a tomb now.

My '05 TL has had the rear shelf rattle ( I fixed it ) The dealerships werent terribly helpful.

As for the 2nd generation RL, I'm overall impressed with the materials and didnt experience any rattles when I took a 35 mile test drive. Now, that might not sound much, but I drove it on I-5 and here in Oregon, its a rough road that is badly in need of repair (thats a whole 'nother thread!)

Hopefully my little rant helps keep things in perspective.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Also, bear in mind that the 1997 TL was built in Japan, while all TL's from 1999 onward are built in the USA. The Legends were always built in Japan. That might be a factor.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Also, bear in mind that the 1997 TL was built in Japan, while all TL's from 1999 onward are built in the USA. The Legends were always built in Japan. That might be a factor.
True, but I've had several US built Accords and a Canadian built Civic.. they were all top notch build quality and had soft, high quality plastics.

Another thing.. the price difference between the 1st and 2nd gen TL was dramatic, nearly 8000 dollars. While this sold quite a few 2nd gen TL's, the price cutting is obvious on the interior materials. Hard, dark plastics all around.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Very good point. The TL is all about cost cutting, in my opinion, which is why I appreciate the TL. I have had several TL owners tell me that they don't think the RL justifies the price increase. I just think they need to pay a closer attention to details such as the interior materials.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2003 TLS and it was not only the worst car I ever owned, but the worst consumer product I ever purchased. I had similar issues. It was terrible. I finally won a buy-back decision through the BBB Autoline Program, which everyone told me was impossible to do. Client services are totally unhelpful and were actually some of the worst "customer service" types I have ever dealt with. They were completely useless.

I was very anti-Acura after their completely unhelpful attitude, but I was intrigued by the 2004 TL and got a very good deal, so I went for it. It was a great decision. The car has been outstanding. No problems at all, 2 years and 35k miles later.

I'm currently considering the RL, although if they made an AWD TL, I'd buy that in an instant.