Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Rosen,

I have had spotty results with various Blizzaks as well - from way too mushy to way too stiff depending on the model and tire size. Since I'll have a 65 wall height, I definitely don't want anything too mushy.

Jerry
Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you guys run separate rims? 17"?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Usually when I buy snows mounted on rims, I will go minus-1" on the rim size if the stock rim has a low profile tire. You can price out winter wheel/tire packages at Tirerack.com and they have stock 18" rim sizes and 17" rim sizes. I'll be ordering the 17" package this year on my 2013 RDX.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rosen39
Usually when I buy snows mounted on rims, I will go minus-1" on the rim size if the stock rim has a low profile tire. You can price out winter wheel/tire packages at Tirerack.com and they have stock 18" rim sizes and 17" rim sizes. I'll be ordering the 17" package this year on my 2013 RDX.
Thank about a taller winter tire/wheel combo, rather than lower profile. Ideally, if snow/ice traction is the primary goal, you'd want a slightly narrower tire (which provides a higher ground pressure) and a taller setup (which provides higher ground/snow clearance).

Guess I'd recommend sticking with the 18" rims, and going with a taller tire - 70 or 75 profile, rather than 60 or 65.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Pro

By keeping the 18" wheels, and going to a 70 or 75 profile tire, the overall height of the wheel and tire will be increased. This could have the potential for clearance problems. The larger circumference will also throw your speedometer off. Now if you are also thinking about doing this by using a "narrower" tire (thereby keeping the height of the wheel & tire the same as stock), check to see if that is safe with the width of the stock rim.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like the Michelin Xi3's are only available for us in 225/60/18 as opposed to the OEM 235/60/R18.

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any problem on our OEM wheels with going with the slightly narrower 225s? Do they fit OK?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Pro

On The Tire Rack website, they recommend the narrower "225" on the 18" rim. What is the difference between the X-Ice2 and the X-Ice3?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Xi3 is there latest and greatest, nice tire, I bought these last season. Would need to check, but believe these are the same size as the OEM tires. On top of the overall Michelin pluses, this tire has a 40,000 warranty - pretty rare for a snow tire. Reality is most roads I'll be on will generally be plowed - won't routinely be going through 6" of powder. But winter tires still provide improvements as the temps drop - well worth it!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Advanced

By keeping the 18" wheels, and going to a 70 or 75 profile tire, the overall height of the wheel and tire will be increased. This could have the potential for clearance problems. The larger circumference will also throw your speedometer off. Now if you are also thinking about doing this by using a "narrower" tire (thereby keeping the height of the wheel & tire the same as stock), check to see if that is safe with the width of the stock rim.
Rosen, you're correct that keeping 18" wheels and mounting a 70 or 75 profile tire results in more ground clearance, because of the taller tire. That's exactly what's desired, for folks who drive in deep snow from time to time. Speedometer - only marginally affected. I use a 65 profile tire on the 18" rims (because 65s are the tallest winter tire I can find in 18"), and the speedo difference is only 1mph at 30, and 2mph at 60. IMO, not enough to worry about.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by backwoody
Thank about a taller winter tire/wheel combo, rather than lower profile. Ideally, if snow/ice traction is the primary goal, you'd want a slightly narrower tire (which provides a higher ground pressure) and a taller setup (which provides higher ground/snow clearance).

Guess I'd recommend sticking with the 18" rims, and going with a taller tire - 70 or 75 profile, rather than 60 or 65.
Incorrect.

The goal with a winter tire is to get a more flexible sidewall. That is generally accomplished by a taller sidewall - but - you must always keep the outside rolling diamer as close as possible to stock (there are multiple tire size calculators available - some more accurate than others.)

By changing the rolling diameter you are also changing the odometer reading. This is one of the few things that may cause the manufacturer to void your entire warranty. Additionally, you may need to resell your car as "correct odometer reading cannot be determined" which will cause you no end of sorrow - and it doesn't matter if you are over or under reporting.

Generally, a variance of under 1 to 1.5% is acceptable (about 1mph off at 60mph) but more can cause issues. Once reported, the car is branded and it is your baby.

To answer the original question - minus sizing and using a narrower tread is desireable for winter use.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone getting steelies? Thinking it may look quite good with a grey, black and white RDX.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just ordered a set of Blizzak 235/60/18 DM-V1s from Tire Rack, which I'll get mounted on the OEM 18" aluminum rims..

That will give me 5-6 months to sort out the other 3 seasons rims/tires options.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Incorrect.

The goal with a winter tire is to get a more flexible sidewall. That is generally accomplished by a taller sidewall - but - you must always keep the outside rolling diamer as close as possible to stock (there are multiple tire size calculators available - some more accurate than others.)

By changing the rolling diameter you are also changing the odometer reading. This is one of the few things that may cause the manufacturer to void your entire warranty. Additionally, you may need to resell your car as "correct odometer reading cannot be determined" which will cause you no end of sorrow - and it doesn't matter if you are over or under reporting.

Generally, a variance of under 1 to 1.5% is acceptable (about 1mph off at 60mph) but more can cause issues. Once reported, the car is branded and it is your baby.

To answer the original question - minus sizing and using a narrower tread is desireable for winter use.
Hi ceb, thanks for the input. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. My experience favors a taller, narrower winter tire, with higher ground clearance. Wide tires hydroplane more easily, and skid on ice and snow and slush more easily. Narrower tires perform better on ice, snow, slush, for the same tread composition and tire brand.

Glad you've found a system that works for you.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by backwoody
Hi ceb, thanks for the input. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. My experience favors a taller, narrower winter tire, with higher ground clearance. Wide tires hydroplane more easily, and skid on ice and snow and slush more easily. Narrower tires perform better on ice, snow, slush, for the same tread composition and tire brand.

Glad you've found a system that works for you.
Please re-read the "odometer fraud" warning I provided. Changing the outside rolling diameter of a tire is not to be taken lightly.

We both agree that a narrower tire, with a taller, more compliant sidewall is better but you can accomplish that by using the smallest wheel size that will clear your brakes and other bits and sizing the tire to match the original rolling diameter.

Using a tire with a larger outside diameter also increases the probability of damaging your car or tire upon suspension compression.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Okay, ordered these on Sunday, came today

Get them mounted on Sunday!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Enjoy. Snow is no longer a curse.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Enjoy. Snow is no longer a curse.
This is so true, however its not so much the snow here, rather the rutted and polished ice the packed snow becomes, add to that how hard rubber gets at -40C
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ViperZ
This is so true, however its not so much the snow here, rather the rutted and polished ice the packed snow becomes, add to that how hard rubber gets at -40C
BINGO.

All Season tires are a trade off in all conditions but are optimized towards 3 season driving. The silica in the winter tire compound will improve grip on slippery surfaces but on ice there isn't much one can do apart from studs or ice chains.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Instructor

I would like to try studs, but remember how noisy they where back in the day. These studless ice tires are the next best thing with out the disadvantages.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Pro

Mounted my snows from The Tire Rack. I went with the 17's for winter tires. The TPMS valves were recognized by the Acura after driving less than a mile.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Tires-dscn3154.jpg   Winter Tires-dscn3155.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Instructor

^^^ Looks Good!

just got back form getting my DM-V1's mounted and road force balanced... A family member did them for me at his shop. I'll post pictures in the daylight once they have been cleaned.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Took the new Blizzak DM-V1's for a drive today... Not too bad, only slightly nosier than the OEM Michelins, not even perceivable really.... They do seem to have a stiffer side wall, I only assume that as the ride is slightly harsher than the Michelins, not much, but on first impressions this is how it felt. Time will tell. Makes me rethink the whole 19-20" wheel plan for the RDX summers. I have 19" wheels on my M3, and it rides nice but certainly harsher than my 18" wheels for it. Good thing I have the winter to think about this.

Snow grip is okay and I have yet to test them out on real ice... However they are not as velcro like as I would have thought, again first impressions with limited use.

Here are photos in the day light.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Hi ViperZ, I've had good luck with DM-V1s, even testing them very aggressively in an icy parking lot, with hard maneuvers that go far beyond normal driving to and from mountain destinations. Nothing provides the 'velcro' feel of a good tire on dry pavement, but these tires are quite good. Post your impressions as the winter develops!
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Thanks backwoody, I'm sure they'll be very good one the winter gets going. I have a set of Nokian Hakapeliitta R on my X-Trail and 325i which is nearly Velcro like on ice.

I'm really looking forward to see how the DM-V1s are on the bullet proof ice we get here.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Pro

Hi Viperz. I had the DM-V's on my RX-350. They do ride firmer than the WS-70's. I think the DM-V's are geared more for "light truck / SUV" so they have a stiffer sidewall. The first impression I have of the WS-70's is a smoother ride around town and on the highway. I think our stock all season Michelin's are a "V-Rated" tire, so they will ride a little firmer than an "H-rated" tire.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Anyone with the michelin x-ice 3? How so you find them? Costco up here in Canada has a pretty good deal on them.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

All tires (including winter tires) require a break-in period of about 500 miles before the tires are really in their element. Up until then you can't evaluate wet or snow traction - they are just too slippery from new.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OTown
Anyone with the michelin x-ice 3? How so you find them? Costco up here in Canada has a pretty good deal on them.
Used them last season, will mount them again this week. Great tire, quiet, comfortable ride. Limited snow last year, so limited feedback there. However, Consumer reports also ranked the xi3's as their top winter tire in the latest car issue. Xi2's came in second, blizzacks in the top 5 I think.
The following users liked this post:
OTown (12-03-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Hi Viperz. I had the DM-V's on my RX-350. They do ride firmer than the WS-70's. I think the DM-V's are geared more for "light truck / SUV" so they have a stiffer sidewall. The first impression I have of the WS-70's is a smoother ride around town and on the highway. I think our stock all season Michelin's are a "V-Rated" tire, so they will ride a little firmer than an "H-rated" tire.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing due to the XL load rating of the tires... In general they are very quiet and smooth. Its the small sharp hits and bumps where you notice they are firmer.

Originally Posted by ceb
All tires (including winter tires) require a break-in period of about 500 miles before the tires are really in their element. Up until then you can't evaluate wet or snow traction - they are just too slippery from new.
This is very true, the mold release agent needs to be scrubbed off. I have noticed they are getting better the more kms I put on them.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered a complete wheel and tire package from Tire Rack with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3
In 225/60R18.

If you order a complete package don’t forget to order a set of wheel locks.
FYI you have to ask for them because they are not on their website.
Fast service they will be delivered tomorrow complete with TPMS mounted and balanced.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pingsandbagger
I just ordered a complete wheel and tire package from Tire Rack with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3
In 225/60R18.

If you order a complete package don’t forget to order a set of wheel locks.
FYI you have to ask for them because they are not on their website.
Fast service they will be delivered tomorrow complete with TPMS mounted and balanced.
Who needs wheel locks? Oh, yeah, you're in Jersey...
The following users liked this post:
stuhFAN (12-12-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM
10th Gear

Just put on a set of Good Year Ultra Grip Ice WRT. Really impressed how quiet and smooth they handle. Had a set of Good Year Ultra Grip Winters on for a week when the dealer put on the wrong tire. They were much louder and did not handle nearly as well. The Ultra Grip Ice WRT are a whole different animal. Very highly rated on Tirerack.com. Looking forward to some winter weather again to try them out.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a set of Good Year Ultra Grip ICE WRTs on steelies as well.

235 / 60 / R18s..

Great tires so far and relatively quiet vs others i recall in the past. May just be the fact that it's on the RDX which is quieter than other cars I've driven but great tires so far nonetheless.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Lets see some pictures of the RDX with steelies
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Finally will have the following on the RDX on Tuesday
1. 4 x RDX rims from the US picked up at the border this past week
2. 2 extra TPMS (2 were already on the above) arrive tomorrow from Curry Acura
3. Michelin Xi3 225/60/18 cheaper from Costco Canada than Tire Rack

A bit of a pull together but looking forward to getting them on as we've been lucky so far with barely any snow so far here.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by OTown
I have them on my Hyundai Accent and they are fantastic tires.....I ran the Blizzak's DMV1 on the former RAV4 and they were fantastic as well I was going to mount the rim/winters on the RDX but the damn Acura curse of mine (in that I don't drive them over wet roads even less snowy roads) means I'll never know how the Blizzak are on the RDX.

I should really sell them....4 new tires, rims and TPMS sensors just sitting there

OTown...where are you from? I am on the East Coast....

ViperZ...I think that you will get to appreciate these tires. They are very similar to the Michelin X-Ice as far as quality and reliability so just give it a little bit of time for the tire to get worn in, and then you will see their effectiveness....

Last edited by weather; 12-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Glad the xice are working for you! I'm in Ottawa, originally from England. I've heard lots of good things about E coast and my better half went to STFX so I'm sure we will be visiting out there soon. Summer preferably lol!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ *lol* Yes...please make sure you do visit in the summer to enjoy what the region has to offer
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Costco wouldn't install anything other than OEM size and said the load is too much for 225's so got stuck with Latitude X-Ice 2 for SUV/Crossover
Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Just chiming in to say that I will be mounting Blizzak WS-70's on my wife's RDX. I had a set mounted on my Odyssey van, and I am impressed by the improvement on snow, but also on cold, icy, or part-frozen/slushy roads. Hope to be as satisfied with the tires on the RDX.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires