Significant LKAS, CAS, and ACC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Significant LKAS, CAS, and ACC Problem

2017 RDX AWD ADV. 33k miles. In service 2/17

Hello All, I have some very unusual malfunctions occurring. Conditions have been anywhere from sunny day mid 70º's to rainy, dreary, mid 50º's. I have not been able to find anything similar to this on lline.

--First occurrence about a month ago, 70MPH on an interstate the LKAS system suddenly starts inputting steering corrections. I was not using the cruise control and the "Main" was not engaged. The system should have been completely off. The LKAS motors continued to fight my inputs as I exited the interstate and turned into a parking lot. I turned the vehicle off to let the system clear. Drove another 20 miles and it re-occurred. LKAS, ACC, and CAS indicators all light up, as well as error messages on the monitor. Drove a few hundred miles on my return trip home the next day with no incident. Had dealer investigate and was told a dirty sensor was the likely culprit.

--Several additional occurences over the next few weeks. The indicators and error messages will light up, then go away, then repeat. All the systems involved with the LKAS are turned off. The LKAS motors will constantly input movements into the steering wheel. The movement are very sudden and very un-nerving. During these times I was able to easily over ride the inputs and steer the vehicle. Scheduled another visit to dealer.

--One day before visit scheduled, after sitting at a red light, proceeded to turn left on green. Had accelerated to around 20-25mph. The LKAS motor suddenly engage wanting to steer the car to the right. This time, the malfunction nearly pulled the steering wheel out of my hands, and I had to use a very strong force to over ride the system. Immediately drove the vehicle to the dealer and informed them it was undrivable and unsafe, and advised they warn the tech before he took the car out and attempted to replicate.

Has anyone seen anything this severe happen with thier LKAS? If so, was it remedied and how so?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds serious. I assume your dealer provides loaner vehicles. I would insist on not accepting the car back until they fully diagnose and fix the problem.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
4th Gear

Update

Will continue to update for anyone else who may be having this problem.

Vehicle spent 3 weeks at the dealership. It took a few days before the anomaly finally occurred with a tech behind the wheel. Ultimately, the only issue identified was that the camera was out of calibration. A static/dynamic calibration was performed. Dealer test drove the car a few times over the next few days with no issue.

One day after picking up the vehicle it threw a Lane Departure malfunction warning message.

So, I'm not totally convinced the issue is resolved, or perhaps there are multiple concurrent problems happening. Back to the dealer I go.

Note, the dealership has been very supportive and provided a loaner for the entire time my vehicle has been in.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fritchit58
Will continue to update for anyone else who may be having this problem.

Vehicle spent 3 weeks at the dealership. It took a few days before the anomaly finally occurred with a tech behind the wheel. Ultimately, the only issue identified was that the camera was out of calibration. A static/dynamic calibration was performed. Dealer test drove the car a few times over the next few days with no issue.

One day after picking up the vehicle it threw a Lane Departure malfunction warning message.

So, I'm not totally convinced the issue is resolved, or perhaps there are multiple concurrent problems happening. Back to the dealer I go.

Note, the dealership has been very supportive and provided a loaner for the entire time my vehicle has been in.
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. These are the malfunctions that worry me.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM
4th Gear

Additional update. The vehicle spent another 4 days in the shop. This time, the tech was directed to Acura Service Bulletin 18-004 published on 2/8/18 (attached), and directed to properly torque a contact screw in the alternator. So I'm guessing a loose screw is inducing voltage spikes and drops causing some faulty signalling. I had an electrical issue in my 2007 MDX which resulted from a corroded ground point, and was completely fixed once addressed. So hoping for the same result this time. Again, I will continue to update if further problems occur.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Fritchit58:
dave08902 (06-18-2019), DUCRDX (06-18-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM
4th Gear

Final update

Last update before I file this thread, hopefully for good. I have not experienced any additional problems since the last servicing for his issue nearly 4 months ago. I think it's safe to say it was definitely a loose screw, literally, that was causing this issue. I hope this thread is useful for others who might be having this problem.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good news is that the Stealer Ship did not say your camera need replacing.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
i don't understand the e-brake part. did you really feel the brake was on or it's just because of the "Electronic emergency brake problem!" message? Acura somehow always displays the parking brake message (and icon) with any other error. It doesn't really mean there's problem with the parking brake. like others said, battery is the most common issue, or when there's other ODB code it can also sppear.