Rear fender liner won't stay in place

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Rear fender liner won't stay in place

I was checking the tire pressure on my 6 month old RDX with ~5100 miles and noticed the left rear fender liner was popped out at the top. This leaves a gap of about one half inch about 18 inches long where the top of the liner and the inner edge of the fender meet. Thought I could just pop it back in (it is rigid felt and a friction fit) but no luck - it won't stay in place. Anyone else have this problem? Will have the dealer fix at first oil change (I am at 40% oil life remaining).
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Mine is the same. I am not sure if the dealer can fix other than by replacing and placing a new piece all together. I never took mine in as I live too far from my dealership.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor

I agree that it will have to be replaced. It is almost like it has deformed or canted inward. I suspect we will see more of this from other owners. The main reason I want it fixed is to keep road dirt from accumulating on the inner lip at the top of the fender.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I'd be more concerned if I was driving my RDX in the rain or wet the roads are dirty but considering the RDX is given the royal treatment, I am not as overly concerned for the time being. It is mostly an esthetic problem for me at this point but I will eventuallt get it fixed once I am at the dealer with the RDX. Glad to see mine was not the only one with this issue.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I will likely get mine looked at ahead of you and will let you know what they say. I looked at the exploded parts diagram on-line and I think we may have been shorted a couple of grommets at the top middle of the liner. I don't see how the liner could move that much if the grommets are there. No concern over road salt here in central Florida but we have alot of rain so dirt accumulates.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Keep me posted. I'll be curious to see what are the findings and the best measure to fix this problem. After the last few weeks here, I could use some Florida weather *sigh* Care to take on a "room and board"? I am clean and will wash my own underwear
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Service 1A done this morning at 6330 miles and 15% oil life remaining. Dealer confirmed the only fix for the left rear fender liner is replacement and they have ordered the part.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same issue with my front bumper...just recently noticed it.....after 7 months of driving around....maybe it has to do something with the cold weather.....will have to check with the dealer....its annoying .....
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dorsey
Service 1A done this morning at 6330 miles and 15% oil life remaining. Dealer confirmed the only fix for the left rear fender liner is replacement and they have ordered the part.
Thanks for the update and confirms what I thought they would have to do in order to fix....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Weather - Not sure how long it will take to get the liner but it is definitley not a normally stocked part. You mentioned you have to drive several hours to your dealer and it sounds like you have a good relationship with them. Perhaps they would order the liner prospectively for you so you do not have to make two trips. It is not an expensive item for them - less than $40 on the OEM discounters web sites.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Dorsey...I suspect that they would gladly do that for me if I asked given the great rapport I have with the folks at the dealership. In fact, I may just take a photo as well and e-mail it to them prior to go down for documentation. But good point and great advice....

Hope yours get fixed properly
Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

My liners are pulling away as well, more so on the driver's side. My mechanic took a picture of the problem today to send to Acura. There does not appear to be any mechanical fastening of the liner around the top of the fender lip.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Instructor

I had mine fixed about a month ago. It is about an hour job for the tech. You are correct - the outside of the liner is a friction fit to the fender lip with no retaining screws. Given the design I figured there would be more than the three of us with this problem by now. On the other hand, it is not the type of thing most people look for.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Mine also has it. Both sides. Will get it fixed next service.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious -- once it's "fixed" what prevents it from happening again?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by saxman48
Yes, I was thinking the same thing?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Nothing that I can see - it is the same part installed in the same manner. To me the question is why does it occur? It is not just popping out of the top inner fender lip, it is actually deforming or twisting to the point that it will not stay in place if it is reseated. The rear liner is made of a ridgid felt like material and I can't see any reason (water, rock impact, etc) why it would deform on some vehicles and not others.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmm, I'll need to inspect mine. Wouldn't this part also contribute to sound deadening properties?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

From what I see on mine, its almost as if the piece of "carpet" is cut just a bit too short or poorly positioned so that its far enough toward the outward of the vehicle and able to fit properly. I would hope the replacement part fits better. I will ask my dealer as I need to be there next week...not with the RDX but I can still ask
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Stopped by a dealer in Seattle yesterday to look at these wheel well liners. (My car doesn't deliver until next week in SLC). Wonder what caused them to use such a different approach to these liners? That material looks as if it would absorb, salt along with any other number of road chemicals? Looks like a poor substitute for the old fashion hard liners of the past. Anyone have an idea about this? I must be missing something.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by TBC787
Stopped by a dealer in Seattle yesterday to look at these wheel well liners. (My car doesn't deliver until next week in SLC). Wonder what caused them to use such a different approach to these liners? That material looks as if it would absorb, salt along with any other number of road chemicals? Looks like a poor substitute for the old fashion hard liners of the past. Anyone have an idea about this? I must be missing something.
Sound deadening.
The following users liked this post:
TBC787 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Sound deadening.
And it's lighter. Other manufacturers are going to this too. Noticed it on the 2013 Mazda CX-5 and asked the same questions. From what I've read it does not collect dirt and salt much and rain splatter and car washes rinse it out pretty well.
The following users liked this post:
TBC787 (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TBC787
What others said: sound deadening. The MDX also has this style of liner.

Mine will be replaced as well. I asked my dealer if the design had changed but he doesn't think so. I can see them having to be replaced frequently if no improvements are made.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

I was checking the tire pressure on my 6 month old RDX with ~5100 miles and noticed the left rear fender liner was popped out at the top. This leaves a gap of about one half inch about 18 inches long where the top of the liner and the inner edge of the fender meet. Thought I could just pop it back in (it is rigid felt and a friction fit) but no luck - it won't stay in place. Anyone else have this problem? Will have the dealer fix at first oil change (I am at 40% oil life remaining).
I think i might have the same issue and just wondering if things are good after the replacement? I will post a picture later just to make sure we are talking about the samething.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Four months after having my left rear fender liner replaced it is still in place with no problems. However, I should note that my original liner did not deform until I had the car about 6 months. Still, based on the fact that the right rear has not had a problem and the rather small number of people who have reported this problem, I suspect the fix is permanent. I can't come up with a good theory as to why some would deform and some wouldn't.

It should be easy to identify whether you have the problem. On mine, you could stick your figure under the fender lip at the top of the fender opening and it would fit between the metal edge of the fender and the edge of the liner. Without the problem there is no gap for your finger to fit through and instead your finger will hit the felt liner.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Four months after having my left rear fender liner replaced it is still in place with no problems. However, I should note that my original liner did not deform until I had the car about 6 months. Still, based on the fact that the right rear has not had a problem and the rather small number of people who have reported this problem, I suspect the fix is permanent. I can't come up with a good theory as to why some would deform and some wouldn't.

It should be easy to identify whether you have the problem. On mine, you could stick your figure under the fender lip at the top of the fender opening and it would fit between the metal edge of the fender and the edge of the liner. Without the problem there is no gap for your finger to fit through and instead your finger will hit the felt liner.
i don't think we are talking about the same thing in this case then. The difference I am seeing (comparing right and left fenders) is the weatherstripping at the end of the edge of the fender. It appears that the weatherstripping around the right dender is much "attached" as compared to the left fender. I am not sure if I am making sense and it is not too big of a deal as long as the weatherstripping stays put. I will post picture when I get the chance. Thanks.