Low Speed Lurch

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Speed Lurch

Wife has a 13 RDX AWD non-tech. At neighborhood speeds (20-25mph) it seems unable to smoothly stay at one speed. It seems to want to go faster or slower, rather than maintain a set speed. It's clearly a tuning issue...nothing mechanically wrong with the car. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I've considered running it by the dealer to see if Acura has revised the ECM load since we purchased it in the spring.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I have experienced the same in mine. It seems it hesitates a bit in moving to a lower gear, in that situation. I will talk to the dealer when I go in for the first service. Oil is still at 70%.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting observation. I will keep an eye on this. Have you noticed the same issue if you cruise in S mode?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
i think the issue is still there in s mode, but less prominent as it holds the same gear for longer time.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same problem. I think it's a transmission issue. It downshifts to 1st gear too early, so when you're cruising at 20mph the car keeps switching back and forth between 1st and 2nd gear. Not smooth at all, very disappointing. The dealer better be able to solve this, or (and I hate to say this) I'll get rid of the car.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

I am experiencing a similar issue, and recently had the dealer look at it during the first oil change. They couldn't find any problems. The downshifts at low/city speeds are terrible...lurching is a good way to describe it. A few times I have been lightly braking toward a stoplight, downshift occurs, and it lurches so bad that I accidentally press the brake harder, causing an abrupt slow down. Also, it seems like if you catch the timing just right, it can result in a clunky shift up to the next gear. I love the RDX, but its almost undrivable round town. Regular acceleration and cruising at highway speeds are great.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
7th Gear

@Craiggers - what was the outcome for you? Did the dealer identify the issue?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Experiencing same issue

I'll just say I'm experiencing all the same issues posted on this thread.
Interesting that none of them started until the RDX had 8,000+ miles on it.

I took it to the dealer in Tulsa, OK in mid-April 2013. They spent all day with it, driving it, hooking to computer, etc. They advised they have had a few people mention the same issues.

They said nothing was available to fix it now and that all the concerns (all the "lunging", etc) would be passed along to Acura. Now we just wait I guess. But agree with the comment above, it is not enjoyable at all driving within cities/40MPH or under
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM
6th Gear

I am having the same issue, my RDX has 6k miles. I really hope they find a solution to this soon.

nyse_19, what did the dealership do/say exactly? I am taking my car to the dealership at the beginning of June.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
exactly same situation with my RDX

Please, add me to the list of unhappy campers. This issue is "killing" me; All the fun when driving my RDX goes away when I experience this stupid thing. I spoke with Acura corporate customer service and told them that sometimes it feels as if I am riding a wild horse that does not know what pace to keep or that either goes too fast or too slow, being "unride-able" in between.

It pains me to admit it but between this issue and the VCM vibration (rumble) I am starting to hate my RDX; (Yeah! Hate being the word), and I am starting to picture myself trading it by a Q5 or X3 (have even considered a Hyundai Santa Fe) no matter how much extra money I need to pay [life is short and we need the life every moment to the fullest]

ps: I am not sure that it will be feasible but I am considering the idea of doing my next service in a Audi or BMW dealer to talk them into giving me a loaner (Q5 or X3, even if I have to pay for that) so that I can test drive them properly for a whole day before making a decision

ps1: I am coming from a 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ. Truth be told that thing can be thirsty (12mpg in city) but the ride is so smooth and comfortable that I wish I could go back
Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better check the message boards for Hyundai & BMW.

I looked into the Santa Fe Sport but apparently there's a major issue with STEERING on it. Hyundai has gone so far as to add 3 levels of adjustment, but many people complain it still just doesn't steer "normally."

I forget what the issue(s) are on the X3 but crossed that off the list, too.

Even though most of us would laugh at the latest "Motor Trend" SUV of the Year result, you can get some good info from the article:

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...#ixzz2jmkoLKhO

Last edited by BobBass; 11-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Come on, you can't judge by what you read on these forums (this one or any other). They're only a tiny minority of the owners of the car. And most people come to forums to complain. You have, what?, a dozen people complaining and you write off the car altogether. That's crazy. If you based your decision on what you read on forums you'd never buy any car.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark,

IMO, you have to take all posts with a "grain of salt."

However, if there's a particular problem mentioned numerous times by different individuals, seems to me it's a factor to be considered seriously. If it's something minor that won't bother you, who cares? Everyone has to make their own decision on how important it is to their enjoyment of the vehicle.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesnt bother me all the time but is noticeable. dont know if this is a tuning issue, but i wish that low gear transition was a bit smoother...
Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

I have been having the same issue from the beginning. It only has 3800K miles on it and I thought its because of the low mileage and the fact that it has not been driven much. But seems a lot of people are having this issue.

Although, around 3500K mile mark, this issue started to diminish and its feeling lot smoother but still not completely smooth. I will drive it this weekend and let you know the outcome.

@Bob Bass - X3 is an amazing vehicle but the rear seating space is an issue, if you are not looking to use this space then its a fantastic vehicle to go for. X3 aint for me.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
does it do it when you are in sport mode? On the TL/CL the A/C engaging/disengaging can cause the car to lurch when at a stop and low speeds
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe this is what they are investigating? http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b357373/
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 AM
5th Gear

I experience the same issue, but I can tolerate it.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear

My RDX has only 50 miles on it (got it today). Wish I checked this forum before getting the car as the lurching takes the enjoyment out of driving the car. Did notice it during the test drive, but didn't give much into it until started driving home and to my friends' house. Wonder if the constant up and down shift at lower speeds will cause transmission issues in the future. Also, when the third gear downshifts into second, the RPMs rev up. This could cause the gas efficiency to suffer, too. I will be talking to the dealer on Monday about it. If other cars on the lot have the same issue, will be calling Acura customer service requesting to return the car.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I kind of felt this issue when I first got the RDX. But over time it went away. And now I have 15k miles on this baby. Maybe it's because I tend to haul ass though. I enjoy dropping in to S mode, using the paddles, and having too much fun! So if you guys drive a little harder, it might just go away. Good luck and have FUN!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by KPACABA
...If other cars on the lot have the same issue, will be calling Acura customer service requesting to return the car.
Are you seriously going to return the car to Acura? You acknowledged that you did notice the condition when you took it for a test drive. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that sometime, there are characteristics of a vehicle we don't like...for me, its the USB integration. Unless your RDX exhibits a condition that is more serious than ours, then that's different but I have an RDX and I wouldn't be able to make an argument that Acura must take back my vehicle.

In any event...best of luck if you are pursuing that route....will be interested to read what they said. Keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KPACABA
My RDX has only 50 miles on it (got it today). Wish I checked this forum before getting the car as the lurching takes the enjoyment out of driving the car. Did notice it during the test drive, but didn't give much into it until started driving home and to my friends' house. Wonder if the constant up and down shift at lower speeds will cause transmission issues in the future. Also, when the third gear downshifts into second, the RPMs rev up. This could cause the gas efficiency to suffer, too. I will be talking to the dealer on Monday about it. If other cars on the lot have the same issue, will be calling Acura customer service requesting to return the car.
Mine used to lurch, but it went away after a while. I guess the tranny needed to be broken in.

I do however believe these cars will have transmission problems in the future. On mine the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is NOT smooth while accelerating, like it jams into gear too early. All other shifts are smooth. Luckily I have the 8 year warrantee plan, but after that it's "sayonara".