Intermittent Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Intermittent Ticking Noise

Hey everyone,

Wondering if any of you have experienced this problem. My dad recently got a 2013 rdx and has been intermittently hearing a ticking noise for the first few minutes of his drive. I've driven it quite a few times and was only able to hear it once. It went away on it's own after a few minutes of driving. I can't really localize where it's coming from but it doesn't seem like it's from the interior. I've checked the engine bay and fenders for anything loose but can't spot what may be the issue. Ideas?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 443 Likes on 303 Posts
These can be hard to find. But, I've had a rock in just the right place in a tire that caused this kind of issue. Just a thought.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
When I back out of my driveway, then stop, switch to drive and start moving I hear a tick coming from below the car. I'm thinking it's part of the AWD system, something engaging. My 07 RDX also did the same exact thing so I think that's normal.

If that's not it, I also hear a tick when I'm accelerating aggressively and the engine is cold, like freezing. It ticks everytime the tranny shifts up. I dont know if that's normal or not. My old one didnt do it, and it doesnt do it when the car warms up.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
These can be hard to find. But, I've had a rock in just the right place in a tire that caused this kind of issue. Just a thought.
I could give the tires a check when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by ottoman101
When I back out of my driveway, then stop, switch to drive and start moving I hear a tick coming from below the car. I'm thinking it's part of the AWD system, something engaging. My 07 RDX also did the same exact thing so I think that's normal.

If that's not it, I also hear a tick when I'm accelerating aggressively and the engine is cold, like freezing. It ticks everytime the tranny shifts up. I dont know if that's normal or not. My old one didnt do it, and it doesnt do it when the car warms up.
Interesting.. Maybe I'll just book the car in for an appointment at the dealer.