Hesitation during cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:11 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation during cold startup

Hi,

I have a 2014 RDX with 19k miles (mostly non-highway) Recently during a cold start in my garage the car has a hesitation when starting up and it turns over. The hesitation isn't present when the engine is warm. Only on total cold startups. I still have month or two on the warranty but thought I would ask around. The battery was replaced last spring due to a low charge while in for an oil change but could something be draining the battery?

I have always heard a "gurgling" sound behind the dash on cold starts from the time I bought the car but not sure what the heck that is. Doing a 1000 drive soon and don't want an issue. The car is like brand new. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
That almost certainly sounds like a battery. It could be a defective battery, or as you said, something is draining the battery overnight.

The test is very simple if you happen to own a voltmeter. Simply connect the voltmeter leads to the battery posts, and place the meter where you can see it when you crank the engine. The meter should initially read 12 volts after the car sat overnight, and should not drop lower than 10 volts when cranking the engine.

Loose connections of the cables to the battery post is also a common cause for this type of problem, Try and rotate each of the cables on the posts. If they move at all, then they are not tight enough.