Hesitation on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 12:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hesitation on acceleration

Love my 2017 RDX Elite, but occasional serious hesitation when accelerating from a stop or slow speeds. I'm thinking either MAF or electronic throttle controller.
anyone have a similar problem?
Don't like my local dealer
Anyone try a Pedal Commander throttle controller?
Old 01-23-2024, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My 2018 does that. It's occasional (two or three times a month), but seems especially prevalent if I am rolling up to a stop and then accelerate. The car just pauses. RPM's don't really drop and the engine doesn't choke down, but the accelerator is simply non-responsive for a few seconds and then it decides to go again.

My dealer kept the car a week on this, but it wouldn't perform. Apparently no codes, and no one knows what to do without them. I feel certain it is electronic and somehow connected to the accelerator. I don't think mine is engine/mechanical related. I hadn't thought of MAF, but I doubt it, at least for mine.

I keep it in mind while driving, particularly when I know I'm going to have to accelerate, like merging into traffic.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Are you flooring the gas pedal immediately? That might overwhelm the computer and it takes a second to figure out what to do as it thinks you're still slowing down.

Try punching it a little, then press down harder and see if the behavior improves or goes away completely.

Also, can try disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes and let the computer re-learn your driving style from scratch.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:10 PM
alexmed2002

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam_68
Are you flooring the gas pedal immediately? That might overwhelm the computer and it takes a second to figure out what to do as it thinks you're still slowing down.
My RDX would do that especially on the highway when merging and hitting the gas pedal all the way down. It felt like the car needed a second to realize I was going full throttle.
Old 07-01-2024, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Sideen
Love my 2017 RDX Elite, but occasional serious hesitation when accelerating from a stop or slow speeds. I'm thinking either MAF or electronic throttle controller.
anyone have a similar problem?
Don't like my local dealer
Anyone try a Pedal Commander throttle controller?

I'd avoid a simple in-line pedal controller like Pedal Commander, Sprint Booster, etc. All of those pull their power current from the 5V reference signal used on the pedal assembly itself, which isn't a safe way to go about it.

You've prob never thought about them, but Banks Power is about to launch a version of their PedalMonster for a whole range of Honda and Acura vehicles. I've been pushing them to expand into this market for years since their device is just way better thoughtout, designed, and just feels better to drive with on the daily.
PedalMonster pulls 12V power from the OBD-II port, so it can't overload the pedal circuit or cause weird fault codes. This dedicated 12V power also charges active bypass relays in the module, so if anything were to cause a fault or short out, the device reverts back to stock, keeping your pedal functional at all times.

Plugging into the OBD-II port also means the module knows how fast you're going and what gear you are in. Because of this, its throttle contours are not just straight linear modifications to a stock signal like the other box's but feel natural and ramp in from a stop. They feel like a throttle curve you can modulate instead of an on-off switch that has a sharp cut-off somewhere in the middle of pedal travel.

It'll also automatically revert to a stock pedal when you're in reverse, so you won't have a twitchy throttle backing out of a parking space or garage.

They are working to get these kits out in the market in the next month or two and are looking for testers in the field for feedback.

Last edited by Thmanx; 07-01-2024 at 11:31 AM.