Installed my splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Installed my splash guards

Simple, 30 minute job. Follow the instructions with this advice:

The instructions for the front say to use a push pin to pierce a plug. The plug has a dimple in it where you are instructed to push with the pin. The dimple is a piece of plastic you are breaking and pushing inward so that you can thread a screw into the hole created. I found it easier to use a very small phillips screwdriver and give it a slight rap with the palm of your hand. Just make sure the diameter of the screwdriver is less than that of the dimple.

You are removing two plastic push rivets for each rear guard. Pry up on the middle of the rivet with a flathead screwdriver and pull it out and you can wiggle the entire rivet out. When you replace them with the rivets that come with the guards, reach around behind the underbody and make sure they are fully seating in the plastic behind the felt fender liner. The plastic they are securing into is fairly flimsy and there is a good chance of seating the rivet without catching the plastic. Once you feel that they are all the way through the felt and the plastic, keep pressure on the plastic from behind while you seat the inner part of the rivet into the outer part.

On all four guards, don't fully tighten the screws until all are part way in and the rivets (on the back) are seated. Then keep pressure on the outside of the guard pushing gently towards the body while you tighten all the screws (start with the middle screw on the front guards). This will keep the guards flush to the body without gaps.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dorsey:
BlackDogRDX (06-04-2012), GrIn (11-27-2013), Kapadiab (10-15-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information - I was considering adding these on myself and it's always good to know I'm not getting into an Ikea-type DYI nightmare!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
4g

Where did you get your guards... trying to get a set myself...

Mugz
Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mugszy
Where did you get your guards... trying to get a set myself...

Mugz
I got them at Park Acura OEM Parts internet site. They don't have 2013 parts as a category on their site so I searched using
Part#: 08P00-TX4-200 They were a bit less than $100 plus shipping.

They come with the screws and clips but not the install instructions. Go here for the install instructions: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII13464.pdf

Last edited by Dorsey; 06-05-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the splash guards over the weekend myself. Was really easy and I think they improve the look of the RDX. Hopefully they function pretty well too. Got mine off eBay can't remember the exact Acura dealer.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
10th Gear

please post a picture once you guys are done installing it. I want to see how it looks like. I see lots of 2013 RDX OEM parts from eBay and I want to get one too.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxJP
please post a picture once you guys are done installing it. I want to see how it looks like. I see lots of 2013 RDX OEM parts from eBay and I want to get one too.
Hey...if you look at my photo thread (photo discussion....RDX Tech White Diamond Pearl), you will see that my RDX has them on. Its very subtle but do make the look nicer. In Canada, these are standard...as with the HID and fog lights.
The following users liked this post:
diamondcut (09-03-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsey

The instructions for the front say to use a push pin to pierce a plug. The plug has a dimple in it where you are instructed to push with the pin. The dimple is a piece of plastic you are breaking and pushing inward so that you can thread a screw into the hole created. I found it easier to use a very small phillips screwdriver and give it a slight rap with the palm of your hand. Just make sure the diameter of the screwdriver is less than that of the dimple.

You are removing two plastic push rivets for each rear guard. Pry up on the middle of the rivet with a flathead screwdriver and pull it out and you can wiggle the entire rivet out. When you replace them with the rivets that come with the guards, reach around behind the underbody and make sure they are fully seating in the plastic behind the felt fender liner. The plastic they are securing into is fairly flimsy and there is a good chance of seating the rivet without catching the plastic. Once you feel that they are all the way through the felt and the plastic, keep pressure on the plastic from behind while you seat the inner part of the rivet into the outer part.

On all four guards, don't fully tighten the screws until all are part way in and the rivets (on the back) are seated. Then keep pressure on the outside of the guard pushing gently towards the body while you tighten all the screws (start with the middle screw on the front guards). This will keep the guards flush to the body without gaps.
Hi Dorsey,

I installed mine earlier today. Following your instructions (thanks BTW), It was simple enough but I was unable to fully eliminate the gaps between guards and body after numerous tries.

Were you able to have the guards flush to the body without any gaps at all? Any additional tips on how to eliminate the gaps?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Cousin Vinny
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 AM
7th Gear

Can someone please post some close-up pictures of their installed splash guards?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Cuz - I did not have a problem with gaps but it is an individual judgement call. Mine are not perfect but they are pretty good and look fine. Will try to post some pics in the next few days. Are the gaps on all 4 or just front or just rear? If rear only make sure the rivet is fully seated and grabbing the plastic attachment point. Sounds like you have tried to loosen and tighten them to get a better fit. The only other thing I can suggest is to play with the temperature during reinstallation. Try to realign them with the vehicle in the hot sun or try putting one of the guards in the freezer for a few hours and then reinstall. That may create enough expansion or shrinkage to help.

Originally Posted by CousinVinny
Hi Dorsey,

I installed mine earlier today. Following your instructions (thanks BTW), It was simple enough but I was unable to fully eliminate the gaps between guards and body after numerous tries.

Were you able to have the guards flush to the body without any gaps at all? Any additional tips on how to eliminate the gaps?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Cousin Vinny
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
7th Gear

Cuz - I did not have a problem with gaps but it is an individual judgement call. Mine are not perfect but they are pretty good and look fine. Will try to post some pics in the next few days. Are the gaps on all 4 or just front or just rear? If rear only make sure the rivet is fully seated and grabbing the plastic attachment point. Sounds like you have tried to loosen and tighten them to get a better fit. The only other thing I can suggest is to play with the temperature during reinstallation. Try to realign them with the vehicle in the hot sun or try putting one of the guards in the freezer for a few hours and then reinstall. That may create enough expansion or shrinkage to help.
Thanks, Dorsey. Pics would be much appreciated. There are gaps on all for but the ones on the rear are a little lager than those on the front.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Thanks, Dorsey. Pics would be much appreciated. There are gaps on all for but the ones on the rear are a little lager than those on the front.
Here you go Cuz - http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...X%20mudguards/

Please excuse the dirt. I wash it every Saturday and today is Friday. I took a picture of each corner from behind and from directly above as the shadows make it difficult to see where the body and guard meet. Other than a small gap on the right front they are all pretty tight. I will work on the right front and see if I can close it up.

Let me know if yours are better, worse or the same.

Last edited by Dorsey; 07-27-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
7th Gear

Here you go Cuz - http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...X%20mudguards/

Please excuse the dirt. I wash it every Saturday and today is Friday. I took a picture of each corner from behind and from directly above as the shadows make it difficult to see where the body and guard meet. Other than a small gap on the right front they are all pretty tight. I will work on the right front and see if I can close it up.

Let me know if yours are better, worse or the same.
Thanks, Dorsey.

I think my are a little worst.

Here are the pictures that I took of them.

http://flic.kr/p/cFKhfJ
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhtj
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhFC
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhVd

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

CousinVinny...I went to check mine and they are perfectly flush with the vehicle, no gap whatsoever. In fact, I can't recall seeing something so tight.

That being said, mind were factory installed (or dealer) as they are standard feature on the Canadian models. The only reason I chimed in was to let you know that they are not suppose to have any spaces or gaps as I have evidence that its not the way they are suppose to be.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

If you don't have these during winter, do your paint get messed up from kicking up sand and salt?

I agree the above fitment doesn't look very good.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Well, unlike other splash guards, these aren't overly tall and will not have the full splash protection that a full sized splash guard would. Esthetically, they are very pleasing but come at the expense of the protection they provide.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Anyone got a full side view of the car with them?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I hope this helps....As you can see, they are very subtle.

Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 3718
Size:  194.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1609_20.jpg
Views: 2903
Size:  100.5 KB
RDXAWD (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks, Dorsey.

I think my are a little worst.

Here are the pictures that I took of them.

http://flic.kr/p/cFKhfJ
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhtj
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhFC
http://flic.kr/p/cFKhVd

Thoughts?
I think yours are worse - I am happy with all mine except the right front. Go back and look at the mounting instructions on the Acura estore. Note that there is a specific sequence for tightening the screws - here is an excerpt for the left rear:
Install the left rear splash guard to the rear bumper with one long clip, one short clip and the self-tapping screw removed in step 6. Install in the order:

THERE IS A GRAPHIC HERE THAT WOULD NOT COPY THAT SHOWS THE ORDER

If there is a gap, loosen the self-tapping screw, hold the splash guard against the body, and retighten the screw.

Try again and see if that helps. Let us know.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Attached are the full instructions for installing the splash guards which includes the proper fastener attachment sequence.
Attached Files
5 Acuras (08-27-2013)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
I installed my own...and did see that there was a gap developing. I then readjusted the mounting hardware as described....and when finished I still noticed a slight gap on I think 2 or 3 of them. I left them alone...and guess what???......after some time mounted they "conformed" I guess and the gaps went away and they were snug against the body.

Now, I don't know if that is the answer....but, it's what happened with mine. They probably "stretched/relaxed in to the correct conformity required to be snug fitting.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Here are some photos I took of my dealer installed splash guards. Notice the front guard, the guard conforms exactly to the contour of the body panel.

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1010385.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1010383.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1010382.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1010378.jpg

Regards, Jim
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Great photos Jim...yours allow our members to describe what mine are like as well. BTW, you RDX seems very clean in those pics...Good job my friend
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^^ Great photos Jim...yours allow our members to describe what mine are like as well. BTW, you RDX seems very clean in those pics...Good job my friend
Thanks for the kind words weather.

And, if you think my car looks very clean, that is the ultimate compliment.
Your meticulous attention to your cars has inspired me to new efforts.

Regards, Jim
Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Do the splash guards for the 2012 CRV fit? They are about $30 cheaper on ebay.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
CR-V Splash guards won't fit.
musty hustla (08-07-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Trouble with rear splash guards

My rear fender (inner well) has this felt liner with no clips or holes in the bottom - on both sides. Where are the holes for the pins? Do I need to make holes?

Thanks a bunch
Kapadiab (10-15-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aks1972
My rear fender (inner well) has this felt liner with no clips or holes in the bottom - on both sides. Where are the holes for the pins? Do I need to make holes?

Thanks a bunch
On the rear you are replacing two existing rivets with the longer ones supplied with the splash guards. Are you saying that there are no existing plastic push rivets or holes for them in the rear fender lip or just in the felt? If that is true then the felt fender liner should be flapping around at the bottom rear. In any event, you should not have to make holes in the felt inner liner. I suggest you hold the splash guard in the correct position and make sure there are no black plastic rivets aligned with the holes in the splash guard. If not, take it to the dealer for advice because something is not right.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Thanks for the kind words weather.

And, if you think my car looks very clean, that is the ultimate compliment.
Your meticulous attention to your cars has inspired me to new efforts.

Regards, Jim
*laughing* I must have missed your post earlier....Thanks for the kind words as well. I am aware that I am super anal about the state of my vehicles and maybe a bit too much. Glad to see that my compulsion has served as a motivation for you
Old 08-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
*laughing* I must have missed your post earlier....Thanks for the kind words as well. I am aware that I am super anal about the state of my vehicles and maybe a bit too much. Glad to see that my compulsion has served as a motivation for you
If you are truly super anal you would remove the splash guards once or twice a year to clean and apply a protective coating of wax to the areas of the body panels covered by the guards.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

GRDX....Thanks for giving me yet another thing to obsess about *lol* In all seriousness, if I drove it in any wet road conditions, I likely would by the RDX is now becoming like my TL and only my little Accent takes the brunt of the abuse when it comes to the weather. So I think I will not need to remove the guards to clean underneath for now anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM
10th Gear

Cool Oh Canada...

Hey...if you look at my photo thread (photo discussion....RDX Tech White Diamond Pearl), you will see that my RDX has them on. Its very subtle but do make the look nicer. In Canada, these are standard...as with the HID and fog lights.
Gotta love Canada
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I installed a set today...it was relatively easy. I thought the rear would be a nightmare due to clearance but there was plenty of room. I was surprised that the rear fender seemed to be made of sound deadening material.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Hi Aks1972,

On my Rdx also, there are clips on rear fender inner well in the bottom. If you have installed guard, would you let me know how you installed.

thanks
bk
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kapadiab
Hi Aks1972,

On my Rdx also, there are clips on rear fender inner well in the bottom. If you have installed guard, would you let me know how you installed.

thanks
bk
This is the most "challenging" part of the install if one or more of the pins puts up a fight.

You have two options: reach under and push out the center portion the pin from underneath the liner or use a thin flat head to pop out the center portion.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

Hi evryone

Thanks for your help/guidance to install splash guard. Today I installed splash guards and it took me about 30 minutes.
The dealer in california asked $203+ tax, I Purchased splash guards from Curry Acura for $105 including shipping and tax. All 4 splash guards snug with the body very well.
See attached pics
Attached Thumbnails Installed my splash guards-009.jpg   Installed my splash guards-010.jpg   Installed my splash guards-011.jpg   Installed my splash guards-012.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Looks good! Great job with extra money in your pocket
Kapadiab (10-23-2012)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Just finished installing. Spent about 1.5 hours. Thanks for the guidance.

The real tricky is the rear two, don't press in the inner part, first push the outside of rivet in, then push the inside. I bought from the acura dealer since they sent me a 15% off coupon. No gaps except the left rear has a very small gap, I pressed the inner part in first, maybe the gap caused by this mistake. The plastic quality is great.
Attached Thumbnails Installed my splash guards-_13a1582.jpg   Installed my splash guards-_13a1586.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
They look good on white. Look factory molded.

I hope this helps....As you can see, they are very subtle.

weather (02-04-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

The splash guards I bought didnt come with the screws/rivets. Do you know if I can buy them separately?

Quick Reply: Installed my splash guards