Voice Prompts & Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Voice Prompts & Navigation

Disabling Voice Prompts
I finally got to try voice commands.
Is there a way to turn off the prompts, because if I have to listen to them, I can manually perform the task in one-tenth the time.
Don't see much point to this feature other than maybe phone calls.

Navigation
I tried to use the voice feature to enter an address for the GPS. My neighbor can on his GM, so I would expect my Acura to be able to.
Was not able to.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
The voice prompts can be turned off by following the instructions in the owners manual. Here is the pertinent section.

With regards to entering a destination using voice, it seems that your profile says that you are in Canada. Here is what the owners manual says about entering a destination by voice. Notice that the note says U.S. models.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks again Rick. I'll try that tomorrow.

Cripes, the aircraft I taught in didn't have manuals with that many pages. Way too much high-tech crap in these cars these days.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
357 freak'in pages.... and nothing is intuitive to this "older generation" brain. Maybe the younger generation grasp the concepts and flow of system, because the system was probably developed by bright 24 year old "kids".
This old fart was able to get the basics of a garmin nuvi gps in a very short time, and that's why I have one in the lower left corner of the windshield.
Now they're talking about "Carplay" as the next big thing for navigation and some strange voice telling you what to do and how to do it all the time. Jeez, am I getting to be an old fuddy?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by charlie65
357 freak'in pages.... and nothing is intuitive to this "older generation" brain.
Well I took early retirement from running a government electrical standards lab (after I spent years as a fight instructor) and I am sharp when it comes to math and physics, so I am a techie, but truly great design should be intuitive.

The PDF downloads I have are:
Owner's Guide: 79 pages.
Owner;s Manual: 453 pages.
Navigation Manual: 355 pages. (never needed any of my Garmin manuals)

Anyway, like anything, there is a learning curve and some are steeper than others. I know and breath Porsche 911s and BMW motorcycles; Rick knows his RDXes.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
With regards to entering a destination using voice, it seems that your profile says that you are in Canada. Here is what the owners manual says about entering a destination by voice. Notice that the note says U.S. models.
Since you are also in Canada (we both have the top of the line Elite), can you enter a full address using voice command?

After calling up Navigation, the following screen options pop up.
1) Find Nearest POI Category
2) Go Home
3) Previous Destination
4) Address Book
5) Place phone Number

No Address option. Obviously, I can enter it manually.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
In Canada you can only give voice commands that match the options shown on the screen.

For example when you press the "Menu" button on the dashboard, one of the options on the screen is "Address". You can say "Address" and the screen will change to show "City" "Street" etc. You can say the word "City" and the screen will change to show a keyboard (I think your current city will already be filled in). Once the keyboard is displayed, the same rules apply, you can only say one of the options displayed on the screen. In this case the letters of the alphabet are the options available. So you could say "T", and after the "T" appeared you could say "O", and when that is confirmed you can say "R", etc, etc,. It is a very slow and painful procedure. It is almost always preferable to pull off the road and use the keyboard by hand.

As the section from the owners manual said "U.S. Models" have the ability to simply say "6000 Yonge St Toronto, Ontario" in a single phrase. Kind of like how my Garmin GPS works.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Hud
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2016 RDX navigation drives me nuts. Voice commands are useless, it jumps all over the place instead of staying on focus. I can direct it to Duluth MN, it agrees with Duluth, then ask for McDonalds and it will give me Andrews AFB in Maryland. Totally off the wall answers to simple input.

If I give it a city, state, then wait until it finds it, then give it an address it seems to work OK. If I try to get it to find anything by name or business type, it goes off the wall.

Can this thing be 'reset' or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix what seem like continuous voice recognition problems.
The following users liked this post:
fherbert (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got an rdx- the voice commands are pretty bad, mine seems to always want to go somewhere in Florida. Hoping a software update is made, but thinking I will normally have to pull off the road and use manual entry to keep from going nuts...