Remote not in range displayed while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote not in range displayed while driving

Some really weird thing is going on in the last week. While driving, the remote not in range pops up on the dash display along with the warning that a door is open. Can't get the door open warning to go away and the doors won't lock while the warning is up. I turned it off once with remote 2, but, it came back a day later. Was able to turn it off with remote 1, as I was using 2. I have some bizarre poltergeist in my car. Both batteries have been changed twice, we were not driving for two weeks and now we have all this weird stuff happening. Ideas from anyone?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Replace the car battery. It's likely low
Old 07-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
thanks for the suggestion. I am still under warranty and will go back to the dealer. I can't lock the car in the meantime, by any methods. Even the key won't keep it locked. Will let you know what it is, in case it happens to someone else. Cheers 🍻
Old 07-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Wonder if the battery in your key fob is dying?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Wonder if the battery in your key fob is dying?
I don't think so, I changed the batteries in both fobs twice. I don't think that the key fob battery would make the rear door sensor report as open all the time and keep the lights on. I can only lock the doors manually with the door rocker button. This is either a short or as an earlier suggestion, the car battery. Thank you for replying, appreciate any and all input
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think I heard once folks were having problems with push button starts with other brands if they kept the key fob too close to their smartphones with wifi/bluetooth enable.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think that is the problem, I can turn off the warning sometimes by using the door locks multiple times. Then it comes back within 5min of driving. I didn't have my cell phone with me and have driven with each fobs separately to rule out being the key fob
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Like thoiboi suggested it could be your battery. How old is the battery in your RDX? Dying batteries or ones with dead cells have been know to create all sorts of bizarre electrical issues. We have had fairly good luck with Honda/Acura OEM batteries, but others complain they are junk and need replacing within 2-3 years.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Like thoiboi suggested it could be your battery. How old is the battery in your RDX? Dying batteries or ones with dead cells have been know to create all sorts of bizarre electrical issues. We have had fairly good luck with Honda/Acura OEM batteries, but others complain they are junk and need replacing within 2-3 years.
That's what I'm thinking, we were away for two weeks and this all started when we came back. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 28th and requested a battery test. The RDX will be 3 yrs old in September
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM

28th is a ways off. Hopefully this is based on your schedule/availability and not your dealers................ Many auto part stores will test your battery for free - if that helps you. Good luck and report back with your findings.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to have a battery charger/tender in the garage. You can double-check the battery and top it off with power to see if that would help. My battery charger has a volts and battery % reading. My OEM batteries were sometimes below 11.6 volts and 35% charge if the vehicle sat for a while. My OEM batteries died after 3 years on my TSX and RDX. MDX OEM started having problems after 3 years and I finally replaced at the 4 year mark. Replaced all the batteries with Interstate and got full normal +5 years of usage from them. Very hot +9 months out of the year in the southwest and I think that is shortening the OEM battery life. So far, Interstate seems to handle the heat a lot better long term.

Battery charger came in handy when the alternator died on the TSX and drained the battery when the kid was driving home from H.S. I just removed and re-charged the battery at home, re-installed, and drove it to the shop instead of calling a tow truck.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
28th is a ways off. Hopefully this is based on your schedule/availability and not your dealers................ Many auto part stores will test your battery for free - if that helps you. Good luck and report back with your findings.
I live rural and that is the only time I can get in to the city. I have other appointments, so they will give me a loaner car. Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 07-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

I managed to get a friend to take my RDX in on Tuesday for the electrical gremlin. I will pick it up tomorrow, Saturday. They needed to order some kind of electronic console that failed. I will let you know which one after I pick up the car.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

They ended up replacing the interior fuse box and the issue hasn't returned. The dealer did a voltage check on each fuse location and it showed a lowered voltage for the rear passenger door and the push button start. Go figure
Old 08-30-2017, 12:11 PM

Hopefully that solves your issue and thanks for coming back and letting us know!