Navigation Flaws

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Navigation Flaws

I am beginning to hate the oem navigation.

1. This is the obvious complaint by many, screen lockout and cannot enter anything while driving

2. After entering an address, you are given 3 routes. You cannot view the directions of the chosen route (step by step). Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot see where each route will take me. i only see the map. It would be nice if the thing would tell the roads I will be going on for each route before I decide the route to take

3. This one is probably the dumbest thing ever. I live in the DC Metro area and I put in an address and the damn thing wanted me to go about 5 miles out of my way to get on the highway when I was literally 1 mile away from being able to get on the highway. That piece of shit

I have max highways, max ferrys, and max tolls selected. Why the hell did that stupid bitch want me to take back roads and go out of my way when I could literally see the highway down the road to get on
Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree! I have used the nav about 10 times and half of those times there have been problems. Most of the problems have been that it can't locate the address or sends me to the wrong place. I am embarrassed by how much I paid to get it. Luckily, my iPhone is always correct.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I know, you can view the step by step direction of the chosen route and modify it by pressing the guide/map button. If you want to choose a different route, you have to exit your current route and go to previous destination to select a different route.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed. I also live in DC area and took a trip to Columbia, MD. Instead of going the faster route and staying on the highway, the dumb thing kept trying to divert me to the back roads. This was my first time actually using the in-car nav, as I almost always rely on my phone with google maps instead.

Also.. try telling it to select the letter "E." I swear, it was more dangerous for me to be yelling at the damn thing to get it to select "E" instead of D, P, V while driving 60mph down the road then just letting me manually select it.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
We drove from Phoenix to San Diego and LA & back in our shiny new RDX a couple weeks ago. We drove all over using the nav and didn't have any problems. Not being able to make changes when moving is a bit of a PITA, tho. As always, YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
RenoTL (07-23-2015)
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said in a previous thread, the answer is a Garmin Nuvi 2595, Costco, $200, on special at times for $180 .... a real deal.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Wanax
Agreed. I also live in DC area and took a trip to Columbia, MD. Instead of going the faster route and staying on the highway, the dumb thing kept trying to divert me to the back roads. This was my first time actually using the in-car nav, as I almost always rely on my phone with google maps instead.

Also.. try telling it to select the letter "E." I swear, it was more dangerous for me to be yelling at the damn thing to get it to select "E" instead of D, P, V while driving 60mph down the road then just letting me manually select it.
YES!!

Its been a few times where the nav has diverted me to back roads instead of going straight to the highway. I thought it might be due to the traffic congestion but then I remembered that my XM nav/traffic trial ran out a long time ago

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
You only should use the nav when you don't know where you're going.

Also want to add that you don't have to do what it says.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Racer

true but you cant use the navigation while you are driving. So the way its designed is to start your route before you start driving because you cant mess with it when you are going 60mph.

If the nav is diverting me away from familiar roads locally which I know is the quicker route to a highway, it makes me question the quality and system over all if I was going somewhere I didnt know
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX2013
As I said in a previous thread, the answer is a Garmin Nuvi 2595, Costco, $200, on special at times for $180 .... a real deal.
I have had that Nuvi 2595 for 2 years and it is much better than any onboard nav I have seen. Lifetime updates as many times as you want.

George
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 PM
8th Gear

old thread, but I tried to use my navigation on my new 2015 "technology" package RDX. I tried to input the address to the cell phone waiting area at SFO. This address is located in the city of South San Francisco. The Navigation couldn't find the street when I put South San Francisco as the city. I tried the street without the city, but it showed me Airport blvd, not South Airport blvd. I ended up using my phone and got there. I took the car to the dealer last week as they were hosting a "get to know your new car / dealership" night. I showed the issue to the service tech. He found the same problem, but used San Francisco as the city instead of South San Francisco and it brought up the right location. I told the tech that it's not intuitive to use a different city than the one in the address no matter how close they may be in spelling or location. I told him that the navigation in my wife's 10 year old TL was better than this. He didn't disagree and told me that Acura has more focus on engines and transmissions than the navigation these days.
I have no plans to take this RDX to the Dakotas. The map may not be able to tell the difference between North and South Dakota...
Old 07-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is, if you have Sirius Traffic on and it's live, then it may suggest routes that you typically won't take - due to traffic conditions.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

You only have two choices: max freeways and min freeways. If you choose max, it will take you way out of your way to get you on a freeway. If you choose min it will take you on back roads even if there is close by freeway. Crazy!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can still control the NAV while you are driving using the voice commands if I remember correctly.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If I'm on a trip here is what I do. I put my Garmin in the window and let it do the guiding. I then have the Navi shown but zoomed out to about 5 miles. I must say this is nice because I get a "raw locator" from the Navi and a close up turn by turn w/speed limit view on the Garmin.

Try it.. you might like it.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a Pro Clip mount for my Garmin and it is hilarious to set both before heading to any destination...

The mount puts the Garmin just to the right of the GPS controls and it & the Garmin with Lifetime Maps & Traffic were the same price as ONE Acura map update...lol AND the Garmin has red light camers, POIs and more importantly you can easily set the Garmin stopped or driving./
Old 10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

I like the Maps okay, but know the traffic is nothing like "REAL TIME". LOL. So I use Waze on my phone, and I prop it up in front of my navi screen. When I have an especially challenging traffic commute, I've gotten used to using both together. I still haven't figured out how to bypass the phone audio silencer in the car, that's aggravating.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
How distracting is voice command?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newlybird17
I like the Maps okay, but know the traffic is nothing like "REAL TIME". LOL. So I use Waze on my phone, and I prop it up in front of my navi screen. When I have an especially challenging traffic commute, I've gotten used to using both together. I still haven't figured out how to bypass the phone audio silencer in the car, that's aggravating.
Damn straight. The Nav itself is fine (other than the "lockout while moving" bullshit) but traffic info is crap. After watching it fail miserably a few times, I think I've deduced how it actually works:

1. Totally minor local side streets: Untracked.

2. Some slightly more used local streets: Untracked BUT Acuralink will show "green" 100% of the time, even though it's making no actual effort to track it. Don't be fooled.

3. Commonly used local streets, major local arteries, freeways: Tracked. HOWEVER, Acuralink seems to draw from historical data (think "Typical Traffic" on Google Maps) in most cases. Only when a major abnormal situation occurs and greatly obstructs traffic (major accidents, road or lane closures etc) does it actually start tracking it in "real time". However, the "real time" is still slow as hell and it takes a while for the system to find out that there is something abnormal going on. Usually by then, I've already walked right into that traffic jam when I could've taken a detour. Thanks Acura.

This and the moving screen lockout are my only real irritating points about the '16 RDX. But they sure are irritating. GooglePlay should be in full swing by the time I buy my next car, and I won't have to deal with this mediocre "real time" bullcrap.

Last edited by aerospike16; 10-28-2015 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
newlybird17 (10-30-2015)