NAV - Entering an uncharted area

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
NAV - Entering an uncharted area

The Nav system on my 2013 RDX is outdated. The road I live on was built 10 years ago, but not on the map. I have seen it on some newer gps units.

But, the odd thing is that when driving on several roads I receive a messages that I am entering an uncharted area - even though the road is on the nav map, and has been there for the past 25+ years.

I just don't get it. This is a 2013, right?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I know...the "entring unverified area" is annoying as hell, but at least it goes away on its own. Its the other warning (I can't recall the exact wording) that pretty much says I am about to enter a off roading area that I really dislike because it forces me to push the middle dial to remove the warning message. This is on a road that I drive on a regular basis....I wish Acura would update its NAV system/maps automatically via a satellite link or something...you know, they update the maps and its transparent to the user except for the fact the new maps would be there. Here is to hoping...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Sometimes if you want something done you have to do it yourself. The problems you both describe have to do with database errors. The best way to get it fixed is to report the specific problem locations to the data supplier Navteq or TeleAtlas whichever the Acura navigation uses. You can report errors directly on their websites. The problems will not be corrected unless someone reports them. Then it can take six months to a year for it to be corrected and end up in a future map update so it wont help immediately but can in the future and not just for your particular NAV unit but all NAV units that use the particular suppliers database.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I never thought about doing that but I guess it makes sense. I guess if we all participate and do our part in enhancing the nav system, we'll all benefit from it in the long run.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRDX
Sometimes if you want something done you have to do it yourself. The problems you both describe have to do with database errors. The best way to get it fixed is to report the specific problem locations to the data supplier Navteq or TeleAtlas whichever the Acura navigation uses. You can report errors directly on their websites. The problems will not be corrected unless someone reports them. Then it can take six months to a year for it to be corrected and end up in a future map update so it wont help immediately but can in the future and not just for your particular NAV unit but all NAV units that use the particular suppliers database.
How are updates applied to the NAV unit? Using DVDs or USB drives purchased from Acura? My current TL doesn't have NAV so not sure how this is done. I'm planning to get an AWD RDX with the tech package.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Dvd
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
Dvd
How much for each new map update?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
MSRP $149...on sale $99...or try and find it on ebay.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a 2012 MDX Tech and a 2012 TL Advance both with what you would think would be the same 2012 model Navigation.

Our MDX does not display the "entering unverified area" box at the top of the screen, but our TL does with the annoying lady voice. I was able to disable the pop-up OK button for the TL, but I'm still trying to find what setting on the MDX is making the unverified area on the MDX not come up.

I get the warning in the TL when I pull into work, when I leave my neighborhood, when I'm driving around downtown. It makes no sense!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cagilber
We have a 2012 MDX Tech and a 2012 TL Advance both with what you would think would be the same 2012 model Navigation.

Our MDX does not display the "entering unverified area" box at the top of the screen, but our TL does with the annoying lady voice. I was able to disable the pop-up OK button for the TL, but I'm still trying to find what setting on the MDX is making the unverified area on the MDX not come up.

I get the warning in the TL when I pull into work, when I leave my neighborhood, when I'm driving around downtown. It makes no sense!
I forgot to mention that my 2011 RDX Tech that I just got rid of never gave these warnings.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Unverified Areas

"...when driving on several roads I receive a messages that I am entering an uncharted area - even though the road is on the nav map, and has been there for the past 25+ years." --Ukalum

"The problems you both describe have to do with database errors." -- GRDX

I learned several years ago, on a 2005 MDX with NAV, that "unverified" does not indicate a non-existent or unknown road; only that the company which supplies the map data has not taken ADDITIONAL steps to "verify" that particular road (or several roads in a specific area) actually exists in the location shown on the map, with correct GPS coordinates, etc. They do take action to verify most streets and highways in the U.S., but maybe not in rural areas or in subdivisions. Some of this is covered in the NAV manual for the 2013 RDX (starting on p. 232, but also on other pages), although I believe the 2005 manual was more informative about this topic.

So, "you are entering an unverified area" does not necessarily mean there is a database error or that the road is not really there. The intent of the warning is so you won't be surprised if the road turns out to be permanently blocked or a one-way street, or if you drive the vehicle over a cliff at night while following the indicated route (you may have heard the phrase "death by GPS," right?).

It is still annoying to get that warning when it's a road that you drive every day.