Hack to allow Nav input while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
RayNA - while I agree with the safety premise ... you don't address the core problem we're talking about here - when a passenger can't use the nav while we're driving, it's a total fail... they get out their iPhone, and then I have to look at their phone for mapping info. How safe is that???!!??
I agree not safe, so my solution is simple, just pull-over, stop and input whatever you want to input to the NAV, even better, do that before you start your trip. I've been doing this since the day I realized the NAV input is disabled while in motion, and that voice control leaves much to be desired.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RayNA
...my solution is simple, just pull-over, stop and input whatever you want to input to the NAV, even better, do that before you start your trip.
That's an interesting solution.

Hey, why not go one better? Since pulling over on the freeway might not be safe, before you leave on your trip, you could pick up a map at a gas station and put a dot on it wherever you want to make a stop.

Last edited by davisinla; 08-30-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davisinla
That's an interesting solution.

Hey, why not go one better? Since pulling over on the freeway might not be safe, before you leave on your trip, you could pick up a map at a gas station and put a dot on it wherever you want to make a stop.
Ehem!, If I have to pull-over on a freeway I usually do it after taking the next exit and stop where it is safe, but I normally input my destination way before I start the trip and since I normally have only 1 destination/trip that isn't really inconvenient :wink:
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayNA
Ehem!, If I have to pull-over on a freeway I usually do it after taking the next exit and stop where it is safe, but I normally input my destination way before I start the trip and since I normally have only 1 destination/trip that isn't really inconvenient :wink:
Because we take frequent road trips, perhaps I expect more from my GPS than you do. Having to pull over whenever I want to use it to find something that I hadn't pre-programmed (restaurants, coffee, etc.) would be like having to find a phone booth whenever I wanted to call someone who wasn't in my cell phone's address book.

I'll agree that the RDX's GPS is great if you can enter all destinations ahead of time. But for use "on the fly" it positively sucks to the point of being useless. Potential buyers should try it and judge for themselves. But my eight year old Garmin (or the wife's iPhone) is far more functional.

YMMV

Last edited by davisinla; 08-31-2014 at 06:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hawkeye62 (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Because we take frequent road trips, perhaps I expect more from my GPS than you do. Having to pull over whenever I want to use it to find something that I hadn't pre-programmed (restaurants, coffee, etc.) would be like having to find a phone booth whenever I wanted to call someone who wasn't in my cell phone's address book.

I'll agree that the RDX's GPS is great if you can enter all destinations ahead of time. But for use "on the fly" it positively sucks to the point of being useless. Potential buyers should try it and judge for themselves. But my eight year old Garmin (or the wife's iPhone) is far more functional.

YMMV
Spot on! Acura should hire a couple of Garmin engineers and design a useful GPS.

Jim
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm going to duct tape my ten year old Garmin in front of my RDX GPS. Then , park in front of the stealer ship with signs (NFG!) and lemons hung all over the car.....

I'll call the six o'clock TV news before I do it. I have a relative that works for the station.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Having to pull over whenever I want to use it to find something that I hadn't pre-programmed (restaurants, coffee, etc.) would be like having to find a phone booth whenever I wanted to call someone who wasn't in my cell phone's address book.
I agree it is inconvenient.

YMMV
Again, I agree, on the fly use sucks, voice command is a pain in the neck and Acura needs to improve that for sure.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
There are currently no regs requiring voice control while the car is in motion. There is a requirement for the lawyer nag screen.

What boggles the mind is that Acura would implement an obviously flawed voice control when they have a perfectly fine nav system in the TSX that can be operated by the passenger while the car is in motion or by (the same flawed) voice control.

I'm not sure who is supplying the nav (it used to be Alpine) but that company needs to buy a copy of DragonDictate - or just ride in any modern Mercedes that has a clunky manual interface but the voice control works with whole words and has good prompts.

Suzuki used a Garmin as the built in nav a few years ago and I'm not sure why the manufacturers don't team up with a real nav maker.

I'd be happy to pay a grand or so for a built in Garmin with lifetime map and POI updates that is nicely integrated with a large'ish screen.

And why does Acura get their traffic data from Sirius when they could get it from Clearchannel for free like Honda?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
And why does Acura get their traffic data from Sirius when they could get it from Clearchannel for free like Honda?

As grandpa would say "Just follow the money!"
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by mdfree

As grandpa would say "Just follow the money!"
Of course but why do Clearchannel for one and Sirius traffic for the other when both makes have Sirius.

I wonder how much Sirius pays Honda to peddle their crap.
qwxilvr (10-18-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
AcuraLink,,,,

I have ZERO complaints with the Navigation System. My insurance company gave me a big discount since I drive an Acura, lots of safety features,,,, many on this blog want to get around. So, I have AcuraLink, I enter my destinations either on my home computer, or my wife does it on her smart phone wit the AcuraLink APP. Then I PUSH the map info to the Navigation System, and than I just go to the destination all while the car is in motion. Plus I am one of those who memorized almost all the voice commands. For me and my wife and family it is all about safety. I should mention I drive a 2015 MDX, not a RDX
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSLTSX09XMNAVWX that's great for your MDX ... but AcuraLink doesn't work for many of us in our RDX (I'm on Verizon and my husband is on Sprint - it's refuses to link to either). The RDX doesn't have the same push from phone functionality, and our voice recog. SUCKS, plain and simple.

Siri and Google Now are at least 5x more accurate, and that's really not a ringing endorsement of either of those technologies but a depressing observation of how bad Acura voice recog. is!

If I'm going to have to use a smartphone app to find a destination and push that to the car nav ... why wouldn't I just use the smartphone app?

I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 6+ and with a screen nearly as big as the built-in, I think I'm just going to be using that 100% of the time.
Fyrewerx (10-31-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MJ-bos
RSLTSX09XMNAVWX that's great for your MDX ... but AcuraLink doesn't work for many of us in our RDX (I'm on Verizon and my husband is on Sprint - it's refuses to link to either). The RDX doesn't have the same push from phone functionality, and our voice recog. SUCKS, plain and simple.

Siri and Google Now are at least 5x more accurate, and that's really not a ringing endorsement of either of those technologies but a depressing observation of how bad Acura voice recog. is!

If I'm going to have to use a smartphone app to find a destination and push that to the car nav ... why wouldn't I just use the smartphone app?

I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 6+ and with a screen nearly as big as the built-in, I think I'm just going to be using that 100% of the time.
My Mistake as you have a RDX, I was thinking RLX, The RLX, TLX and MDX all have these advanced features, but these are not on the RDX. I can't speak for the RDX, but you would think it should pair up? My wife has a 2009 TSX and everything pairs up to her car, Apple, Samsung all work as they did on my past 2010-TL.. Hope it can be resolved with a software update??
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Racer

My Bad,,,

Yes, I think that could be considered a somewhat significant piece of information when addressing a room full of RDX owners in an RDX forum having an issue with their RDX.

-
I did a Search over all forums to see if anyone was having a issue, and forgot to see what forum I was actually in. I was thinking RLX, not RDX... Sorry for the confusion...
Old 10-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
I did a Search over all forums to see if anyone was having a issue, and forgot to see what forum I was actually in. I was thinking RLX, not RDX... Sorry for the confusion...
No worries.

Actually, I thought my reply sounded a little "snippy." That's why I had deleted it shortly after posting. Didn't realize you had already replied.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redd
Stump, I'm a newb here and have no idea if Acura did something clever to make Real Damn Sure the car was parked, like using GPS speed data.

But AFAIK every nav unit on the planet is set up the same way: Cheap and simple. There is a dedicated wire that is used as a "parking sensor" which connects to the transmission switch (i.e. "P" position) and when that lead is grounded, the nav unit knows you are in park. Remove the ground, and it knows you are not.

Simple, cheap, reliable. And if you can confirm that from the wiring diagram for the nav unit, the solution is even simpler: Cut the wire. No wire, no ground, the nav unit knows it is never in park and you can take control back into human hands.

On some units you may need to force a ground, or a hot, but it always comes down to pretty much the same thing: One wire, connect or disconnect, and the nav unit's "park" function gets a lobotomy.

That can usually be unplugged from the pack connector, too, so it is fully reversible with no sign it has been done.

No one at the dealership will be allowed to comment on this, since it involves liability with a "safety" system. But if you can get hold of a schematic, I'll bet you find one wire that goes to the transmission's indicator switch from the nav unit. That's always the one.

To the best of my limited knowledge, the only smarter nav system is on the Nissan GT-R. On the Japanese domestic market models, it is connected to a speed limiter in the ECU, and it will not let the car exceed a set speed UNLESS the GPS has determined that the car is on one of the eight legal racing tracks in Japan.
Why post something so patently false? You can certainly program in Drive mode so long as the car is stopped.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by techman707
What there is REALLY no excuse for on a car costing $40,000, let alone one claiming to be a "luxury" car, is mirrors that don't fold electrically. Had I been aware of it before I purchased my 2014 RDX, I wouldn't have bought it. Now, before I can go into my garage, I have to get out and fold the passenger side mirror. So much for the worthless HOMELINK.
I agree. The 2014 MDX Elite comes with powered foldable mirrors and 360 view cameras in Canada, so why not in the US?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
still no Navi bypass yet?!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO, love the IQ statement.