GPS Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GPS Rant

This is a great car!
The only blemish is the GPS system. This is my wife's car that I recently started to drive while she recovered from a broken leg. Who designed this GPS?

It is glacially slow, uses far too many key strokes, does a poor job of routing and is difficult to use. I have a 2017 so the data is fairly old and discovered the update cost is $150. No big deal for a quality product but this embarrassment to the Acura brand is not worth it. I've used Garmin products for years and (of course) Google Maps on a handset. (The small screen and need for cellular coverage make the Garmin solution more appealing to me) They are about equivalent and far, far superior to the Acura product. At $150 for a data update I'm strongly considering adding another $100 to get a Garmin product and velcro ing it to the existing screen.

To some extent is a matter of what you are used to. I'm used to snappy response, intuitive operation, fewer keystrokes, customization of screen info (I find elevation, and arrival time at destination very useful) and free bi-annual updates very compelling.

I hope Acura would make the effort to get a new GPS provider or upgrade the existing.
End of Rant.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
charlie65 (04-11-2023)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
No arguments about the GPS system but here is something to consider in defense of Acura.

The technology for this generation navigation system is from 2015. And remember that Acura is not a technology company like Garmin, Apple, Android, etc. They did not design this system to be upgradable like a computer. The focus was to build a good car. I knew this when I bought my used 2017 Technology back in September. I did update the navigation system and it does improve the responsiveness of the system. It will never approach what you are used to for Garmin or your cell phone. But it is a good option for longer trips.
justnspace (08-09-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 03:29 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No automotive manufacturer makes their own GPS. They are all rebranded versions of some major GPS vendor. Did some searching. As it turns out the NSX does use a Garmin system and it has 5 years of free updates. As far as I can tell all other models use the inferior Alpine system.
It is what it is. If I find I need the GPS (long trip or relocation), I'll just get a Garmin and attach it in front of the Acura GPS.
A dropped ball on Acura's part.

Ron
Old 05-27-2021, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
+2 for the upgrade disc(s). Got mine for $99, so keep watching the web site for a reduction in price. It did improve the NAV in my wife's 2017.
Ron206 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by fjpthree
Got mine for $99
Every year for the last few years, Acura advertises the new update for $150, then routinely follows up a few months later with a "sale" price of $99. So it pays to wait. Remember however that these are map data updates, not operating system updates.
wsw (08-09-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Al Dente
Every year for the last few years, Acura advertises the new update for $150, then routinely follows up a few months later with a "sale" price of $99. So it pays to wait. Remember however that these are map data updates, not operating system updates.
I got my update in October for $99 (bought used in September). What they send you is based on your system. Looking at the 2 DVDs I received, it was definitely more than a map update. The DVDs had my name on it!. I'm assuming the original owner did not update the navigation system and mine was the first update.

If I were to update it this year, I would likely get just map and Gracenote updates. But t won't do that.....
Old 05-31-2021, 10:41 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dtownfb
I got my update in October for $99 (bought used in September). What they send you is based on your system. Looking at the 2 DVDs I received, it was definitely more than a map update. The DVDs had my name on it!. I'm assuming the original owner did not update the navigation system and mine was the first update.

If I were to update it this year, I would likely get just map and Gracenote updates. But t won't do that.....
Would you please elaborate what exactly was improved in addition to the map data? Also, what year is your car? I'm still deciding whether to get an update or not.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:33 PM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
-1 on the map update. I don't think it will make using it any faster or easier.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:19 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is awkward to use compared to google maps on the phone. I wish that there were a way to use Android Auto/Carplay on my 2017 RDX.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in agreement. I come to the Acura brand from Ford. My trade in was an Escape.
Lower quality vehicle, but the maps and the Ford pass system all updated and services were free.
Just connect to my home wifi and update.
Acura link and maps update are way behind Ford.
Mike
Old 08-17-2021, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MrColin
It is awkward to use compared to google maps on the phone. I wish that there were a way to use Android Auto/Carplay on my 2017 RDX.
Has anyone here installed Grom system?
https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/ho...n-upgrade.html
Old 08-18-2021, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike Kal
The Grom system does look good as far as documentation goes. I had already purchased and just installed a device from Navtool in order to get Android Auto/Apple Carplay on my 2017 RDX.

ACURA RDX 2016-2017 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI (navtool.com)

So far so good. There really isn't any documentation that came with it. They do have a Youtube vid that's helpful. Thanks to Gadgetjq on this site who also provided a Youtube video; I found that to be helpful.

It looks like there's an additional module needed to make it wireless. For now I'll be connecting my phone via a USB cable.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Kal
I just installed the GROM Vline2 unit on my 2015 Acura TLX SW-AWD and am BEYOND happy with it! I previously had the Navtool installed on it for close to 3 years and it was pretty good overall, but the customer support was non-existent for a majority of the time, and just recently, my Navtool unit stopped working and started draining my battery (i had to recharge my battery every 2 days otherwise it would not start at all. I tried emailing Navtool customer service 3 times within 3 weeks and did not get a single response....i decided to scrap my navtool unit and looked around and found the GROM Vline2 unit and ordered it...i installed it this past weekend and it is FAR superior to navtool from my limited time with it...the best part? Vline2 has WIRELESS android auto AND you can use your steering wheel controls to cycle through music songs...Navtool DID NOT allow you to sue your steering wheel controls and you had to only rely on the knob to control everything...so far, i would HIGHLY recommend Grom Vline over Navtool...not even close! Hit me up if you need more info, but installation was simpler because you don't have to tap into the upper screen (Navtool required removing it and plugging into one of the harnesses from the upper unit), and only have to plug in 3 harnesses into the radio unit, and then tap one wire to get the reverse camera working on the upper screen even if you have the Grom unit installed.

I am not completely trashing Navtool because it did work as expected for close to 3 years for me, but tech support is near non existent (they will claim on a bunch of forums they are a big company with hundreds of employees, but in reality it's one or two guys that build the units as they are ordered), and if you email after the warranty is expired, good luck getting any response at all...that was my problem, and that's why i dumped my navtool unit. Grom on the otherhand, have an active development team and update the firmware fairly regularly based on user feedback (that's why they incorporated wireless android auto and other features)...so far it is a great unit (it has it's hiccups, but you can at least be somewhat comforted knowing they are ACTIVELY trying to address any issues people run into so they can continue to provide a better overall product! Really wish Navtool would have at least half-assed some development over the past few years because they could have been the top dog in aftermarket android auto and carplay options, but they got too arrogant or whatever and now they are left with poor reviews on BBB and every website that mentions them....
wusty23jd (01-03-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m considering getting a 2018 RDX advance. I heard there is more of operating system update that can help but only dealer installs… curious if anyone heard of that? If so, did they charge for it? I heard it was to make up for the massive lag from the system.

if not- anyone who did a map update- did the operating system improve or input of an address? If so, please describe. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:51 AM
Instructor

I did the map and system update in October 2020. There was a little improvement in the operation but don't expect Google Maps/Waze level of speed. Remember this system was designed in late 2015 for the 2016 model year. I paid $99 for the discs. The instructions are pretty easy to follow. It does take about 4 hours to fully update the navigation system; the majority is done while you are driving. The initial system update takes about 35-40 minutes, the rest will be done while driving.

Here's a link to where you can order the update: https://acuranavi.navigation.com/pro...US/AcuraNA/USD
Old 08-18-2024, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

GPS rant is warranted

I have the same issue. Two of my friends also purchased Acura suvs in the same 2-3 yrs and feel like Acura’s handling of the navigation deficiencies was disappointing. They’ve both purchased other non Acura suvs. I’d like to find a solution and it isn’t upgrading the mapping to similarly deficient maps. Just returned from a trip and the nav wouldn’t even let me put in 3 of the addresses. I joined the platform hoping to find a reasonable solution. There are many things I like about the RDX and even a few of the nav features like the ability to see the next turn right in front of me on the main dash and the car.