GPS position off by a half-mile

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GPS position off by a half-mile

Happy new year, all. Seems I'm having some issues with my less-than-a-week-old RDX Advance... found this morning that the Nav is saying my car is about a half-mile northweat from where it actually is, so I'm "driving" across open terrain and non-digitized roads according to the Nav. Could this be a potential New Year's GPS glitch, or is my car freaking out and I need to take it back to the dealer? I've also been having some other issues (that unfortunately can't seem to be replicated at the dealer) with the radio where Sirius XM presets won't show up on the readout correctly, and the LKAS lines need to be turned on every time I start the car.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Sorry for displaying my noob tendencies... first time with a high-end car that has all these bells and whistles! (I graduated to my RDX from a 2006 Honda Accord where the smartest thing in the vehicle was the driver... now that's no longer the case with the RDX.) I looked it up in the manual when I got home and found out how to correct the position using the on-board menu. Just thought it was odd that the vehicle positioning would shift so radically and suddenly, but it looks like something I can correct myself.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Okay, not trying to bump my own thread, I promise... Stopped on my way home from work last night to fill up my gas tank, and when I got back in the car, the GPS was off-kilter again and I had to correct the vehicle position. My wife's 2014 RAV4 has on-board nav and she's never had to correct her vehicle position, but now I've had to update mine twice in a week. The dealer says "this happens sometimes" and went into the hidden menu to do a diagnostic (which said the GPS was fine), but I'm wondering how often this happens to some of you.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
It's never happened to me!
The following users liked this post:
RockTheGlobe (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Took the car back to the dealer, who verified there was an issue... At one point yesterday, the Nav showed me driving across the runway of an airport 3/4 mile away from where I actually was. Dealer said they have to coordinate with Acura, but likely the nav unit is bad and will need to be replaced. Weird that it would happen on a brand new car.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just brought a new RDX Avanced too. I have a similar problem as yours. I noticed the vehicle position in my navigation is incorrect and i had continually adjusted the vehicle position. Normally, I think it should automatically place the vehicle in the correct location when the system reacquires a GPS signal or the vehicle moves/drives.

I went to dealership to have them check the gps and the result of diagnosis mentioned no issue. So they fixed the location by manually adjusted the vehicle position. The navigation worked fine for a few days days and now the current location on gps is wrong again.

I contacted them again about the issue. they said they will order a new gps antenna and will let me know when they have the part in. Not sure if this wI'll solve the issue...
Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

In some ways, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this issue, although I'm sorry your GPS isn't working. The dealer verified I was experiencing an issue and the tech reset the GPS system, so it's working for now. That said, the dealer documented it so there's a record of the issue, and if I start experiencing GPS drift again, they'll consult with Acura to see about next steps, be it reloading the software or replacing the nav unit.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

Updated: My GPS is working. Apparently it has nothing to do with the GPS antenna. They found sub hardness to be routed very tight in some areas and overlapping/interfering with each other. So they changed routing to reduce strain on hardness and to avoid to many cable overlaps/twists.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, my dealer also brought my RDX in over the weekend and adjusted the wiring harness in the dashboard. So far so good... I'm cautiously optimistic. They said Acura is aware of the problem and it is not an isolated incident, but the harness itself on back order indefinitely so they came up with the workaround to fix the harness rather than replace it.

TL,DR: GPS is fixed for me as well.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

Mine is doing the same thing. I've had it into the acura dealer twice. and they say nothing is wrong. Do you know what the Part # is, so that I can give my service consultant something to go on?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Unfortunately, I don't -- I just was told it's the wiring harness. My service consultant said that their technicians saw the issue listed on some Acura technical message boards that the dealer mechanics use. If you want to PM me, I can give you my service consultant's name so you can either reach out or have your dealer contact him.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RockTheGlobe
Unfortunately, I don't -- I just was told it's the wiring harness. My service consultant said that their technicians saw the issue listed on some Acura technical message boards that the dealer mechanics use. If you want to PM me, I can give you my service consultant's name so you can either reach out or have your dealer contact him.
Rock,
I just sent you a PM. Not sure if it went through since I'm so new. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Thanks,
Mike