Driver1/Driver2

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver1/Driver2

On several occasions, I've had the system think I was Driver 2 when I only entered the car with a Driver 1 remote. Not only will it say "Welcome Driver 2", but my audio presets would also be partially erased. My 7-series would also do this and its damn annoying. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry I have not. Maybe your battery in remote is low?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a 3 week old car... the battery better not be dead!!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Yes, ours does it too sometimes when my wife & I go to get in the car and we both have our key fobs. It will sometimes set it to hers (Driver2) even tho I'm (Driver 1) opening the drivers side door. Not sure why it would do that. Could be the location of the sensor or some difference in the fobs or who knows? It's kind of annoying but also kind of humorous...not really a big deal to us. It could have something to do with the fob batteries even tho they're new (to you...who knows how old they actually are?).
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, this happens. There is info in the manual on it, but if you lock/unlock the car using your fob before you enter it, it will recognize your fob for all preferences. You only need to do this if your wife was the most recent driver and her fob preferences are currently in the system. If you just climb in with your fob and no locking/unlocking was necessary (say in your garage) it will maintain her preferences. Of course, you can override the seating position by using the button on the door, but the system preferences (including radio presets) will remain with the last fob to lock/unlock the car. So if you know she was the last one to drive the car and used her fob with her preferences, use your fob to lock/unlock the car before you get in it and it will recognize your fob and preferences.

Hopefully that makes sense...if not, look in your manual.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Pro

That's not exactly the way it seems to work. It doesn't have to be a lock/unlock, just a door opening. The scenario we see is that it's set for me (Driver 1) from when we parked it last in the garage. We both walk out into the garage and when I open the driver side door it resets it to her settings (Driver 2). I can either press the button on the door or close the door, wait a few seconds, and then open the door and it will reset it to my settings. My wife says it's because it likes her better.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver 1/2 Issue

WOW, and here it is 2017, and I have a 2017 RDX which has the same issue regarding Driver1 and Driver2. It is annoying to have my wife's settings on the screen when I'm driving. I guess my question is whether there is any way to change between Driver1 and Driver2 once you have started the car and are driving?

gmorlitz
Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Pro

Don't know about the 2017 but on our 2014 there are buttons on the driver door near the mirror adjustment switch labelled 1 and 2. You can select which driver you want and it will go to those settings, overriding the fob. I don't know if if will work if you're moving. I think you can select the driver on the screen too but I don't remember how...have to RTFM.

I'm quite a bit taller than my wife (I'm 6'5"). I can hardly even get in the car if it's set to her setting so it's pretty obvious if it's not set correctly.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks. I tried the door buttons while moving. I will try them with the car stopped. I couldn't find anything on the screen or in the owner's manual. It seems like a pretty common issue with spouses getting into the car together and the driver ending up with settings he/she doesn't want.

gmorlitz
Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Pro

Be sure you have different settings for each driver. Otherwise it will appear to not be working (my wife accidentally set both the same one time).

If you have a tech model with navigation it has a set of destinations for each driver. It will display a welcome message on the nav screen when you start up that will tell you which driver's settings it's using. By default it will show the set for the current driver but you can change to the other set. I think it's the same with the radio presets. However, changing the driver in the nav does not change the seat settings.

It has to have some algorithm to determine which fob it will respond to when both are in range. I once had both fobs in my pocket when I opened it up and it set the seats to driver 2 (my wife). Based on our experience it seems to favor driver 2. That could be some quirk in the fobs, perhaps one battery is stronger than the other. Or maybe my wife is right...it just likes her better?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Yea you can usually switch it using the two buttons depending on which setting you want. I experience that as well in the 2015 rdx
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I had this issue on my '15 TLX. I'd open the door and the seat would go to the crush-me position (Think Christine movie) to suit my short wife. Apparently my wife walking by my car with TLX fob in her purse to get to her RDX occasionally made it happen.

The dealer said to lock the car in the garage. In the garage. No problems since.