Accessory Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Accessory Mode

When parked, how can I turn off the engine while keeping the accessory mode on to keep on listening to the radio? I've found some old threads on this topic but nothing current. The common suggestion is to shut off the engine while the transmission is in neutral but on my 2018 the radio stays on when I turn off the engine from neutral but it shuts off as soon as I slide the transmission to park. They surely don't expect you to leave the car in neutral, do they?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Instructor

I found my answer. Did you know that in addition to our Owner's Guide, Acura also has an Owner's Manual online? The Owner's Manual has this nifty diagram which confirms that, for US models at least, putting the car in Park while in accessory mode will turn off the radio. The Owner's Guide doesn't have that information. Canadians might get to enjoy their radio while in Park, I don't know.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
The owner's guide has the information in text form under the heading "Changing the Power Mode". There are two modes available without the engine running: "Accessory" and "On". It's unfortunate the car takes so long to boot up when cycling the power. Acura should have installed more processor resources.

There is a 3rd manual available for the Nav system. All 3 are downloadable online.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
MH,

With my '17 RDX the owner's manual (along with the nav manual and owner's guide) are on a CD that was included in a leather bound info packet provided by the dealer. In addition, original owners of Acura vehicles can order a hard copy of all manuals and, of course, we can download .pdf copies of all the above. The full manuals offer a 'lot' of information you won't find in the quick start guide.

Owners really should spend some time sitting in the vehicle with the full manual going through it page by page to identify (otherwise hidden) features.

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
MH,

With my '17 RDX the owner's manual (along with the nav manual and owner's guide) are on a CD that was included in a leather bound info packet provided by the dealer.
That's odd, the CD included with mine is titled "2018 Warranty Information" and that's all it has on it, no manuals.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Try pressing and holding shift lever release button when pressing the start/stop button when transmission is in park. This works on my 17 RDX and 14 MDX

Last edited by Kirill; 12-04-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Kirill
Try pressing and holding shift lever release button when pressing the start/stop button when transmission is in park. This works on my 17 RDX and 14 MDX
With the engine running or turned off? All it does for me with the engine running is give me the fast beep error message. With the engine off - and not applying the brake - it goes into accessory mode.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Instructor

It works as long as I keep holding the shift lever release button when stopping the engine but radio shuts off as soon as I let go of it so I guess it doesn't really work on the '18 models.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:56 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by MHarnois
It works as long as I keep holding the shift lever release button when stopping the engine but radio shuts off as soon as I let go of it so I guess it doesn't really work on the '18 models.
That's the way it works on the '16 models and probably the '17 models, too. It would be nice to be able to shut the engine off without going through the tedious reboot cycle to get the accessories going again.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcross1231
With the engine running or turned off? All it does for me with the engine running is give me the fast beep error message. With the engine off - and not applying the brake - it goes into accessory mode.
With engine running, transmission in park and release button pressed when I hit start/stop button my 17 RDX goes to accessory mode without losing Bluetooth connection or radio. Just tested again yesterday and works with foot on the brake and without. The car doesn't shut off when I let go release button, stays in accessory mode.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
With engine running, transmission in park and release button pressed when I hit start/stop button my 17 RDX goes to accessory mode without losing Bluetooth connection or radio. Just tested again yesterday and works with foot on the brake and without. The car doesn't shut off when I let go release button, stays in accessory mode.
Thanks for that tip. Up to now I had been turning off the engine while still in drive, and then moving to park, but your method is much better.

I am in Canada, and I was wondering if you were as well. The section of the owners manual in post #2 shows a notation that US vehicles behave differently.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Touring

I just double checked this again several times. On my '16 Advance, accessories shut off when the release button is let go. Hmmm...
Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Thanks for that tip. Up to now I had been turning off the engine while still in drive, and then moving to park, but your method is much better.

I am in Canada, and I was wondering if you were as well. The section of the owners manual in post #2 shows a notation that US vehicles behave differently.
Yes, I'm in Canada as well, I missed the part in the manual that US cars behave different. Maybe this is the reason that it doesn't work for them. But this works exactly the same on my 17 RDX and 14 MDX, both base models Canadian editions.

Last edited by Kirill; 12-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Yes, I'm in Canada as well, I missed the part in the manual that US cars behave different. Maybe this is the reason that it doesn't work for them. But this works exactly the same on my 17 RDX and 14 MDX, both base models Canadian editions.
That pretty much settles it then. Canadian cars can use the shift lever button trick but U.S. cars can't.
The following users liked this post:
jcross1231 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by MHarnois
That pretty much settles it then. Canadian cars can use the shift lever button trick but U.S. cars can't.
Wonder why the differentiation? The Canadian method is a lot more convenient. I just re-confirmed on my '16 US Advance that the system dies when you release the shift lock after shutdown.