2013 Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Remote Starter

Does anyone know if there will be an Acura remote starter for the 2013 RDX?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes. the website says avail aug 2013
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks

Thanks!

Where did you find that information on the site? I can't find it...
Old 08-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.acura.ca/rdx#/rdx/accessories
Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by QN52
Funny - it doesn't show up on the USA site...

Thanks for the link!

dmg
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

my dealer installed a 3rd party remote starter, because there wasnt one available by acura
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like the Acura remote start might replace the electronic key FOB since it has lock , unlock and panic buttons so you do not have to carry both. That would be nice.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DMGoldie
Funny - it doesn't show up on the USA site...

Thanks for the link!

dmg
My rep told me October 2012 for USA. He did state a redesign, and single FOB.
Very cool to see the ca link!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Telemonster
Great to hear confirmation it will be a single FOB. The OEM remote start is on my to do list. Just have to wait for it to become available.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Cruisin'

My dealer just emailed me. The remote is out.

http://www.acura.com/Accessories.asp...cId=RDX0013047

dmg
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
this is the way to do it, to have it all in one when you purchase this accessory. Hopefully you can just get in the car and drive away and not have to restart it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear

The description is pretty vague. It doesn't say it activates keyless entry or pushbutton starting. Can anyone confirm this is truly an all in one solution? Hated having separate remotes on our 2009.

• Integrates with your vehicle’s security and immobilizer systems to ensure protection
  • Activates the Auto Climate Control to 72” regardless of last A/C settings
  • The remote includes an LCD display that indicates vehicle and in-cabin temperature status
  • Caution: Never start your Acura in an enclosed area as this may cause carbon monoxide build-up. Not available for manual transmission vehicles.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Unfortunately I think both will be issues.

I asked my dealer about the remote replacing the keyless fob. The answer was no. I also asked about restarting - the answer was yes. He said it was a security issue.

Originally Posted by Vividsi
this is the way to do it, to have it all in one when you purchase this accessory. Hopefully you can just get in the car and drive away and not have to restart it.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm confused, but maybe it's because I've never owned a car with much technology, especially a remote start. I see the complaints of having to restart the car, which I can understand is annoying. However, I would think this is a good thing? I mean, lets say you start remotely and let it warm up... whats preventing someone to just get in and drive away? The restart function prevents this, no?

Again, I've never owned a remote start so I'm not sure how it works. But in the winter, I badly want to start my car up and get it warm, but never can in fear of someone walking up and stealing it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

I used to have a viper remote start system in my RSX, and you would just insert the key, turn the ignition as if you were really starting the car and just drive off, never having to restart. I could see how it would be a little fustrating having to do a restart, but more than have of the time that I used my remote start I would let the timer run down anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
6th Gear

Single FOB not the case!

I just had the remote start installed in my 2013 RDX Adv.

1. Remote start FOB does NOT replace your "keyless start" FOB, to drive, you still need your normal FOB.
2. When you enter vehicle that has been remote started, it will turn off, you will need to restart it per normal.
3. Signal range is limited

I'm not sure what the "redesign" is. The above 3 issues seem consistent among earlier models. (this is my first Acura, and my first remote start, but I read many posts about prior year Acura models)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Racer

Single FOB not the case!

1. Remote start FOB does NOT replace your "keyless start" FOB, to drive, you still need your normal FOB.
2. When you enter vehicle that has been remote started, it will turn off, you will need to restart it per normal.

I'm not sure what the "redesign" is. The above 3 issues seem consistent among earlier models. (this is my first Acura, and my first remote start, but I read many posts about prior year Acura models)
Bummer. Was hoping it would work in place of the standard FOB so you only have to carry one.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DMGoldie
Unfortunately I think both will be issues.

I asked my dealer about the remote replacing the keyless fob. The answer was no. I also asked about restarting - the answer was yes. He said it was a security issue.

I think the answer as to the need to turn off the engine upon entry the vehicle is a "security issue" is a lame excuse.

Most after market "remote start" does not turn off your car upon entry...nor does it requires you to restart the engine. I just install a CompuStar Remote Start in the family Toyota Van last week and it does not turn of the engine when you open the door...

It does this:
1) The door can be locked or unlocked it does not matter. You can insert the key and turn it to position II (not start the car since it already on). Depress the brake and voila you drive away.

2) If you do not insert the key and step on the brake to shift, it turn off. Since you cannot shift without stepping on the brake... the thief have no key so it a no starter for the bad guy.

I don't need it in my RDX but if I do... I 'll get the after market.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
When I bought my old '07 RDX, the Acura dealer had installed a remote start for me (actually I think they sent it somewhere else). The way it worked is my stock remote would start the car by hitting the lock button 3 or 4 times (3 times the doors unlocked, 4times the doors would be locked). When I got in, the car would stay on and I would have to insert and turn the key to go. If I didnt turn the key, the car would stall once I hit the brake.

I want to get the a remote start for my '13 RDX too. It would be disappointing to have two remotes, and to restart the car after getting in. I understand things are different because of the keyless entry and push button start, but they need to think of a better way. For example, when you enter the car it should just be that you push and hold the start button, then press the brake, similar to how you would normally start the car. If you hit the brake without holding the start button, the car should stall.

Come on Acura....do I have to think of everything?!?!?!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ottoman101
When I bought my old '07 RDX, the Acura dealer had installed a remote start for me (actually I think they sent it somewhere else). The way it worked is my stock remote would start the car by hitting the lock button 3 or 4 times (3 times the doors unlocked, 4times the doors would be locked). When I got in, the car would stay on and I would have to insert and turn the key to go. If I didnt turn the key, the car would stall once I hit the brake.

I want to get the a remote start for my '13 RDX too. It would be disappointing to have two remotes, and to restart the car after getting in. I understand things are different because of the keyless entry and push button start, but they need to think of a better way. For example, when you enter the car it should just be that you push and hold the start button, then press the brake, similar to how you would normally start the car. If you hit the brake without holding the start button, the car should stall.

Well, better yet...since the RDX has a 'smart' key, wouldn't it be better if the remote start function be incorporated into the 'smart key' fob (let's say click unlock button 3x to remote start) and the the car would just stay on once you enter the vehicle with your smart key in your pocket or purse?

After all, how smart is the key if it is not smart enough to communicate with the car's electronic???

C'mon Acura .
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcpc08161992
Well, better yet...since the RDX has a 'smart' key, wouldn't it be better if the remote start function be incorporated into the 'smart key' fob (let's say click unlock button 3x to remote start) and the the car would just stay on once you enter the vehicle with your smart key in your pocket or purse?

After all, how smart is the key if it is not smart enough to communicate with the car's electronic???

C'mon Acura .
I like your idea better.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Instructor

I just had my dealer install a remote start on my 2013 RDX. They programmed the stock keyless entry remote to start the car by pressing the lock button 3 times (no extra remotes). The doors are locked when it starts, and they unlock when I touch the door handle, however the car stalls when I open the door.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to disable the open door cutoff feature. The remote start user manual they gave me doesnt mention anything about the car stalling when the door is opened, so it might be something the dealer did themselves for security.

The dealer charged me $495.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

The factory remote start for the 2013 RDX became available this past November. It uses a new multi-function remote. I scheduled to have mine installed but cancelled once the dealer showed me the instruction manual. Like the factory unit on the 2012 MDX, you must shut the engine down to enter..in fact it automatically shuts the engine down once a front door is opened. I've used remote starts for over fifteen years and find this unacceptable. I had a friend who owns an Auto accessory business install a Code Alarm (Audiovox) remote start. Audiovox techs have yet to find a work around to shutting down the engine to enter the vehicle. I just found the Code Alarm to be more versatile and less expensive. One problem is if I start the car too quickly after opening a door, it triggers a Acuralink warning message. Found if I wait 15-30 seconds to start the car, message is not triggered. As a side note, my friend who does installations for numerous car dealers told me some Honda dealers no longer install the Honda Factory system because of customer complaints. Not only will a good remote start not kill the engine in order to start the car , but has a way to keep the car running and lock the doors for short stops, i.e. get out of the car to mail a letter, etc. (as long as you turn on the ignition prior to stepping on the brake pedal to place the car in gear).
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcpc08161992

I think the answer as to the need to turn off the engine upon entry the vehicle is a "security issue" is a lame excuse.

Most after market "remote start" does not turn off your car upon entry...nor does it requires you to restart the engine. I just install a CompuStar Remote Start in the family Toyota Van last week and it does not turn of the engine when you open the door...

It does this:
1) The door can be locked or unlocked it does not matter. You can insert the key and turn it to position II (not start the car since it already on). Depress the brake and voila you drive away.

2) If you do not insert the key and step on the brake to shift, it turn off. Since you cannot shift without stepping on the brake... the thief have no key so it a no starter for the bad guy.

I don't need it in my RDX but if I do... I 'll get the after market.
What makes me nervous about aftermarket is if anything funny happens like windows going down, etc. I thought I read about instances like that happened.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Instructor

I just had my dealer install a remote start on my 2013 RDX. They programmed the stock keyless entry remote to start the car by pressing the lock button 3 times (no extra remotes). The doors are locked when it starts, and they unlock when I touch the door handle, however the car stalls when I open the door.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to disable the open door cutoff feature. The remote start user manual they gave me doesnt mention anything about the car stalling when the door is opened, so it might be something the dealer did themselves for security.

The dealer charged me $495.
I should also add, the brand of remote starter the dealer installed is an Auto Mate model AM6.2. Incase anyone cares.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

Single FOB not the case!

[/SIZE][/I]
To say the range is limited is an understatement. I got the ACURA remote start on my 2013 RDX and am very disappointed with the range. According to the manual, the range is only 400 feet! Other systems have remotes that reach 2000, 4000, and even 6000 feet. Many also have smart phone apps to make the range unlimited. What is the point of starting the car in the last 30 seconds of my walk through the parking lot? I love everything else about my Acura, but the remote start is embarrassing.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
i personally think the acura remote start is a rip off...if you have to restart the car after you get in and the range is only 400 feet.

i plan on getting a viper (security w/ remote start) installed within a month. Pay a little more, better range, dont have to restart the car, more features, and it can work with your smart phone (module required)

Last edited by dc5k20z1; 12-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
i personally think the acura remote start is a rip off...if you have to restart the car after you get in and the range is only 400 feet.

i plan on getting a viper (security w/ remote start) installed within a month. Pay a little more, better range, dont have to restart the car, more features, and it can work with your smart phone (module required)
to my comment about restarting the car.... this is true for most new cars that are equipped with push button start even the 2010 ZDX, the new camry etc.. apparently there is no workaround this issue. it sounds like the car itself is not equipped with engine takeover. ive done a google search, asked a buddy of mine who installs for a living, and emailed a couple car audio shops and they all have come back with the same info.

I dont know if I want remote start now because you have to restart the car before driving away. That just means that over time the starter on the car itself will just be working twice as much and will probably be the first thing to fail on the car.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~133055~PN~1
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
to my comment about restarting the car.... this is true for most new cars that are equipped with push button start even the 2010 ZDX, the new camry etc.. apparently there is no workaround this issue. it sounds like the car itself is not equipped with engine takeover. ive done a google search, asked a buddy of mine who installs for a living, and emailed a couple car audio shops and they all have come back with the same info.

I dont know if I want remote start now because you have to restart the car before driving away. That just means that over time the starter on the car itself will just be working twice as much and will probably be the first thing to fail on the car.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~133055~PN~1
I'm guessing I start my RDX at least 10 times a day on average. I wouldn't think one or two extra starts per day would make a big difference.

I have to say my life is much simpler not having to worry about remote start capability or whether album cover art shows up on the media screen. I'm a lucky guy!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'm guessing I start my RDX at least 10 times a day on average. I wouldn't think one or two extra starts per day would make a big difference.

I have to say my life is much simpler not having to worry about remote start capability or whether album cover art shows up on the media screen. I'm a lucky guy!
i should have added it depends on how oftern you remote start the car; so that probably wouldnt matter but once you have had remote start for the past 8 years it almost becomes routine to remote start your car every time you go for a drive.

with having to restart your car with this new push button technology it becomes annoying and cumbersome. I guess if we want remote start then we just have to adjust to it

Last edited by dc5k20z1; 12-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Clara The Car

Does anyone have a link to the booklet for the 2013 Acura RDX remote start? I keep getting a weird diagram and the remote start wont work but I can't figure out what it is telling me!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LeeArm1
Does anyone have a link to the booklet for the 2013 Acura RDX remote start? I keep getting a weird diagram and the remote start wont work but I can't figure out what it is telling me!!
If you bought the Acura RDX Remote Starter the dealer should have given you an Accessory User’s Information Manual and a Quick Start Guide. Check your owners manual folder they may have put them in there. I attached a copy of the installation instructions to this message. It may help.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by GRDX:
LeeArm1 (01-01-2013), rdxm (01-10-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LeeArm1
What does the weird diagram look like?

Push the engine button followed by the lock button within 2 seconds and the car should start.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
4th Gear

Great car.......questionable remote start.

Recently bought a 2013 RDX with Tech. and also remote start. It is not combined with original key fob from what I've been told. So far I am trying to find out why it will start the car and as soon as I open the door it stops the engine. I just started the car, am standing next to the car with manufacturer's key fob in hand (so all the right signals should be going to car), and the second I touch the handle the engines stops. If this is how they intended it to be it seems rather useless to me. If I am doing something wrong can someone please advise. I have the one page booklet that came with it, or should I call it a quick reference card, but there is nothing on there that explains this. Other than this hickup I love this car. It is fantastic.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 PM
4th Gear

I couldn't agree more. Why have a remote start if the car stops as soon as you touch the handle to enter. Any new information on this that could help? I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TxAcuraOwner
I couldn't agree more. Why have a remote start if the car stops as soon as you touch the handle to enter. Any new information on this that could help? I'd appreciate it.
Wow! This is quick. After talking to my better half, it is her car after all, she says she was told the engine would stop once the person who used the remote start tried to access the car. Apparently I was not paying attention when they told her this or I probably would have skipped it. Seems kinda useless but oh well. The car is awesome and she loves it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Racer

It is overkill but Honda and Acura do it that way for safety and security reasons. If the engine turns off when you reach for the door handle while in possession of the "key transmitter" that is actually a step forward. Other Honda and Acura vehicles will not allow you to use the standard remote FOB to unlock the door while the engine is running on remote start until you first use the remote start FOB to shut it off. You end up fumbling with two remotes.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by GRDX
It is overkill but Honda and Acura do it that way for safety and security reasons. If the engine turns off when you reach for the door handle while in possession of the "key transmitter" that is actually a step forward. Other Honda and Acura vehicles will not allow you to use the standard remote FOB to unlock the door while the engine is running on remote start until you first use the remote start FOB to shut it off. You end up fumbling with two remotes.
I can see the safety concerns but my concern is unnecessary wear on the engine. Starting, stopping, and starting again within seconds can't be good for the engine. I was thinking maybe they should program the transmission to not engage a gear until the ignition button is activated or the brake pedal is depressed, or even waiting until there is 100 lbs in the driver seat. Maybe even all three.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
6th Gear

RDX push start can be done without losing a key/remote and also programmed using your factory remotes - if distance is needed longer than factory settings then you can always upgrade to phone app feat that will give you lock/unlock/remote start
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM
me3
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just recently bought 2013 RDX w/tech and looking forward to installing the factory remote start, but after reading about how the engine cuts off and having to restart the car is pointless. I have a 2011 Dodge Durango RT that has factory remote start with push button start, and it never cuts off or need to restart the ignition once inside... you just step on the brake and push the start button and drive.

This is a 2013 ACURA with TECH Package and they can't even design a remote start w/o having it stalled.....thumbs down on this part!!!

Quick Reply: 2013 Remote Starter