2013 RDX and Phones

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 RDX and Phones

So I am ready for an upgrade to my phone and looking at either the iphone5 or Galaxy s3. I will be getting the RDX in a few months, but well after the phone. Question to everyone out there who owns... I know there is an iphone jack in the car, what about other phones like Droids (specifically Galaxy here)? I am leaning towards the Galaxy, but if its not compatible with the RDX (or iphone is more compatible) then that will change my decision.

I've never had a car with tech in it (my RSX has no tech in it whatsoever), so this would be my first experience; therefore this is probably a "duh" type question
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you don't get a better response, check http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx to compare the Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5.
The following users liked this post:
RDX Cruizer (06-26-2013)
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To be honest, I would recommend using the Bluetooth connection for either phone, and use the USB plug for charging. I believe you get more information if you play your iPhone through the USB cable, but the Bluetooth connection is so much more convenient.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I am getting a Galaxy S 3 next week. I'll let you know once I test it out. Right now my HTC Sensation works okay with a minor annoyances. It seems my HTC has an intermittent bug that causes distortion in my streaming audio. The only thing that seems to fix it is turning off the car and turning it back on. Hopefully switching phones fixes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Might I suggest getting a Galaxy Nexus? The S3 is newer hardware and you wouldn't go wrong with it, but the Nexus will keep you up to date on a current operating system and has developer support if you decide to root the phone. You might wish to ask this question on XDA and see what they suggest.

I currently use a Galaxy Nexus. I'm running without root access, OS version 4.1.2. The phone connects flawlessly, and I can stream music via Pandora or the google music app. I normally use google music (Play Music). If I select AUX for bluetooth audio in the RDX it connects automatically and begins to play. The track skip controls and volume work from the steering wheel buttons. I don't get track information listed on the display, but as a minimalist I have the display turned "off" anyway because I think it's a distraction. When a call comes in, the music mutes and pauses. Hang up the call and the music resumes.
Want more awesome? When you use google maps for turn by turn navigation the music pauses and mutes, the directions are spoken over the stereo speakers, and then the music resumes. Who needs in car built in nav?

A new Nexus (maybe a few new ones) are due to be announced at month end. If you can wait to see what's coming it's reasonable to think it will raise the android smartphone bar further.

Not an iphone fan. Never cared for their business model. That doesn't mean the iphone doesn't have some perks like the ability of the RDX to read your text messages to you and get full track listings on the display when plugged in. Maybe that floats your boat too.
RDX Cruizer (06-26-2013)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I know there is an iphone jack in the car
That's not actually true. It's a USB port - which is incredibly smart considering the iPhone 5 doesn't use the old iphone/ipod connection. You just plug the appropriate USB-to-Device cord in and roll.

And I agree that the bluetooth audio is fantastic and I have a blackberry.

Edit: And of course the RDX has an AUX jack. I don't even think about that but it's handy if you have some random device you want to play through.

Last edited by BlackDogRDX; 10-19-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
My HTC reads text messages too. I wasn't aware the Nexus isn't compatible with that feature.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by wizardjjr
My HTC reads text messages too. I wasn't aware the Nexus isn't compatible with that feature.
Nope, the programming to allow it is intentionally left out by google, apparently it allows some kind of security breach to be possible.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by AmberB
I currently use a Galaxy Nexus. I'm running without root access, OS version 4.1.2. The phone connects flawlessly.
Does the RDX's Handsfreelink data connection work with your Galaxy Nexus (via Bluetooth)? If so, did you do anything special to make it work?

I too have a Galaxy Nexus (and would recommend it to anybody, not quite cutting edge hardware, but a very smooth, capable phone, with reasonably decent battery life) but cannot get the data connection to our RDX to work no matter what I try!

Phone, audio and text work perfectly, but I just can't get data to connect...

Last edited by PaulH2; 10-19-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PaulH2
Does the RDX's Handsfreelink data connection work with your Galaxy Nexus (via Bluetooth)? If so, did you do anything special to make it work?

I too have a Galaxy Nexus (and would recommend it to anybody, not quite cutting edge hardware, but a very smooth, capable phone, with reasonably decent battery life) but cannot get the data connection to our RDX to work no matter what I try!

Phone, audio and text work perfectly, but I just can't get data to connect...
I have a base model AWD version. I think I need the tech package before I have any need for a data connection. No?

How did you get text to work? Are you running a Custom ROM? I think you need either CM or AOKP based ROM before this will work right.
What is the point of the data connection? Just to communicate with Acura for service reminders and stuff?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AmberB
I have a base model AWD version. I think I need the tech package before I have any need for a data connection. No?

How did you get text to work? Are you running a Custom ROM? I think you need either CM or AOKP based ROM before this will work right.
What is the point of the data connection? Just to communicate with Acura for service reminders and stuff?
Could be that its part of the tech package, I'm not sure.

Yes, I'm running AOKP (JB build 3 currently).

I assume that's all the data connection does, just be nice to know from first hand experience !
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
iPhone5 and Acura 2013 HandFreeLink

I have a iPhone5 and it does not work 100% well with the Acura 2013 HandFreeLink. Ougoing is great but whenever I receive an incoming call, I must hit the <TRANSFER> twice to get it to the car speaker. If I don't do that, I hear nothing and the caller also hears nothing. I hit <TRANSFTER> once, it transfers to handset, hit <TRANSFER> again and it will transfer to the car speaker.

I tried all kind of combination of setting and I got the same result with iPhone5.

I tried my wife's Galaxy SIII and it works flawlessly on both incoming and outgoing calls. So, it has to be the iPhone5 that did not work well with the Acura.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Napoleon
So I am ready for an upgrade to my phone and looking at either the iphone5 or Galaxy s3. I will be getting the RDX in a few months, but well after the phone. Question to everyone out there who owns... I know there is an iphone jack in the car, what about other phones like Droids (specifically Galaxy here)? I am leaning towards the Galaxy, but if its not compatible with the RDX (or iphone is more compatible) then that will change my decision.

I've never had a car with tech in it (my RSX has no tech in it whatsoever), so this would be my first experience; therefore this is probably a "duh" type question

OK, I just went throught the whole process of testing the iPhone5 and the Samsun Galaxy SIII. The Galaxy SIII works much better with the Acura 2013 RDX then the Iphone5 does... Here is the detail of my test:

"iPhone5 and Acura 2013 HandFreeLink
I have a iPhone5 and it does not work 100% well with the Acura 2013 HandFreeLink. Ougoing is great but whenever I receive an incoming call, I must hit the <TRANSFER> twice to get it to the car speaker. If I don't do that, I hear nothing and the caller also hears nothing. I hit <TRANSFTER> once, it transfers to handset, hit <TRANSFER> again and it will transfer to the car speaker.

I tried all kind of combination of setting and I got the same result with iPhone5.

I tried my wife's Galaxy SIII and it works flawlessly on both incoming and outgoing calls. So, it has to be the iPhone5 that did not work well with the Acura."
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Motorola Droid Bionic which is a year old and it works flawlessly with bluetooth. When I plug into the USB port, it is mounted as a storage device and I can play any music that is on the phone internal memory. However, USB streaming is more convenient since I can play other things like Audible audiobooks or cloud streaming my music collection from Amazon or Google music.

Text messaging also works with the Bionic.

I believe the one thing that you can do with iPod/iPhone which is not available to Android devices is give voice commands to search for music, like "Play Album xxxxx".
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Galaxy SII isn't wonderful on my 13 RDX base AWD. I can synch up the phone book no problem, but the car doesn't let you use that phonebook to call anyone when you're moving. It seems that the only thing the voice prompt is good for is selecting a voice dial shortcut that you program into the car. It can't even be used to say "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" to call a number. Pretty lame, and NOT what the salesman said was available when we were deciding on the vehicle. I don't know if it would have changed our selection, but it's pretty ridiculous to have voice recognition technology and only be able to use it for a single purpose. Somehow, responding to texts by using one of six preprogrammed responses via the rotary knob while moving is considered safe, but using that rotary dial to pick a phonebook entry or allowing voice prompts to call a phonebook entry or a number isn't. STUPID! Or perhaps it is me that is stupid and can't figure out how to work it, but so far, the salesman, the owner's manual and the internet have provided no answers to my questions.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gzvette61
My Galaxy SII isn't wonderful on my 13 RDX base AWD. I can synch up the phone book no problem, but the car doesn't let you use that phonebook to call anyone when you're moving. It seems that the only thing the voice prompt is good for is selecting a voice dial shortcut that you program into the car. It can't even be used to say "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" to call a number. Pretty lame, and NOT what the salesman said was available when we were deciding on the vehicle. I don't know if it would have changed our selection, but it's pretty ridiculous to have voice recognition technology and only be able to use it for a single purpose. Somehow, responding to texts by using one of six preprogrammed responses via the rotary knob while moving is considered safe, but using that rotary dial to pick a phonebook entry or allowing voice prompts to call a phonebook entry or a number isn't. STUPID! Or perhaps it is me that is stupid and can't figure out how to work it, but so far, the salesman, the owner's manual and the internet have provided no answers to my questions.
I agreed it is a little backward system. However, you can pre-program the phone numbers and names (It is called VOICE TAG) and then use that. Once you program the voice tags you can then says 'DIAL BY VOICE TAG'...then after the beep say 'JOHN SMITH'. Toyota/Lexus is miles ahead on this phone dial feature than the Honda/Acura systems. I think you can program up to 20 voice tags to chose your fiends carefully if you have more than 20 .
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
This may sound like a dumb question but if you guys had to get a BlackBerry, which device seems to work best with your RDX? I can't get an IPhone because work is supplying the phone, BB is the device of choice, but I can chose which style I get (Torch, Bold etc).

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Galaxy s III and the phone book issue was problem parts of the phone book would upload and some not. I went to the dealer but while they did their best it still did not upload, other phone Motorola and Iphone did not have the problem. The solution was an android app for $1.95 and you should search for an app "pbap" forget the test just pay your money and download and it immediately corrected the problem. I have had 4 Acuras MDX, TL, 2008 RDX, now 2013 RDX both all were basic models. The degrading of the HFL giving less features that in previous Honda and Acura models is unfortunate for a "premium" model even if they call it basic. Fact is that they can expand the voice tags simply by a software upgrade should be done as well as allowing entering and saving numbers while driving. They should at least match the competition. I did not choose the tech package as I feel the enhancements are hardly worth the price tag when a GPS can be gotten with lifetime updates cheaply with more features. If you need the enhancements they all seem to work. However this is a great leap forward and I love the car with that exception and its ride, comfort, room, handling and quiet ride are superior to previous models and the dealer is superior and service is excellent. I hope Acura would allow an upgrade to the HFL module so it could work as the tech package does or better than that. The speech engine is already there all they have to do is software upgrades. I wrote to Acura and they said only the tech package had the features they stripped out of the basic system.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

iPhone 5 and Verizon

I've had my RDX (AWD w/tech) for a couple of weeks and my Verizon iPhone 5 since it was launched last year. Bluetooth works fine for me. No issues placingor accepting calls via handsfreelink. However, I prefer Siri to voice commands on the RDX so I keep the phone nearby to launch Siri. I'll be an early adopter when Acura offers the aftermarket Siri button upgrade later this summer. Bluetooth works great for playing music or podcasts. Starts up automatically after starting the car. Much easier to use than my parent's Ford Sync. I use the USB port to charge on longer trips. When plugged in I'll listen to content in the "iPod" mode or Pandora mode. When plugged in, you'll see album and track info for music and thumbs up, track info for Pandora. I use Downcast app for podcasts and even that track info shows up on the display. You don't see this info when using Bluetooth model

Only issues I have so far are that I can't seem to get the AcuraLink to use the data connection on my phone but it sounds like most people can't. Also, I'm supposed to be able to hear text messages but frankly, I prefer Siri for that, too.

I'm a bit disappointed with the navigation package. I three weeks, the traffic rerouting hasn't rerouted me once though Waze app on the iPhone has helped me avoid traffic numerous times. I doubt I'll renew the traffic feature. Sure would like to beam the navigation on the phone to the screen in the car! I probably won't renew XM either opting instead to use the monthly fee to buy more data on my LTE plan in order to listen to more Pandora.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waxwing1
I've had my RDX (AWD w/tech) for a couple of weeks and my Verizon iPhone 5 since it was launched last year. Bluetooth works fine for me. No issues placingor accepting calls via handsfreelink. However, I prefer Siri to voice commands on the RDX so I keep the phone nearby to launch Siri. I'll be an early adopter when Acura offers the aftermarket Siri button upgrade later this summer. Bluetooth works great for playing music or podcasts. Starts up automatically after starting the car. Much easier to use than my parent's Ford Sync. I use the USB port to charge on longer trips. When plugged in I'll listen to content in the "iPod" mode or Pandora mode. When plugged in, you'll see album and track info for music and thumbs up, track info for Pandora. I use Downcast app for podcasts and even that track info shows up on the display. You don't see this info when using Bluetooth model

Only issues I have so far are that I can't seem to get the AcuraLink to use the data connection on my phone but it sounds like most people can't. Also, I'm supposed to be able to hear text messages but frankly, I prefer Siri for that, too.

I'm a bit disappointed with the navigation package. I three weeks, the traffic rerouting hasn't rerouted me once though Waze app on the iPhone has helped me avoid traffic numerous times. I doubt I'll renew the traffic feature. Sure would like to beam the navigation on the phone to the screen in the car! I probably won't renew XM either opting instead to use the monthly fee to buy more data on my LTE plan in order to listen to more Pandora.

Hope that helps.
Do you have some kind of documentation or link to information regarding this aftermarket Siri button that you mentioned on this post?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waxwing1
I've had my RDX (AWD w/tech) for a couple of weeks and my Verizon iPhone 5 since it was launched last year.

.......Only issues I have so far are that I can't seem to get the AcuraLink to use the data connection on my phone but it sounds like most people can't..........
I have a '14 AWD w/Tech and use a Blackberry Torch 9800, which appears to support every feature EXCEPT DATA to connect to AcuraLink Server. Like you say, most people can't.

When checking http://www.acura.com/HandsFreeLink.aspx to see what phones support data, which is necessary to connect to the AcuraLink servers, it appears that of all the Blackberry phones listed as "compatible", just 2, the Blackberry 9360 Curve and 9860 Torch are the ONLY ones that support data. Then I checked ALL the I-Phones and NONE OF THEM are listed as supporting data. Are they kidding?

I was also wondering, does anyone know if on a phone that DOES support data and you didn't have a data contract, but were able to use a data when connected through WIFI, if it's possible to access the AcuraLink servers? They don't provide much technical detail about the HFL system requirements.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have upgraded to Iphone 5, cannot receive/read incoming text messages, this feature worked fine with my IPhone 4. At dealer today, they told me problem is with the new phone, anyone have any solution?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an iPhone 5 and it works for me. You have to turn on "Show Notifications" in the Bluetooth settings on the phone.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ill give it a try!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Driod Issues

I recently switched the bluetooth over from my AT&T Blackberry (which never gave me any issues) to my Verizon Motorola RAZR MAXX. Texting and phonebook are not giving me any issues. The two problems I have are:
1. I added someone to my speeddial w/o a voice tag and don't know how to add it after the fact or how to delete the speed dial so that I can re-add the number with the tag.

2. When using the bluetooth for conversation, it works fine for about 3 minutes of the conversation and then the people on the other end of the call can suddenly barely hear me.

Looking for any suggestions on either. Acura says my phone/carrier is compatible with my 2013 RDX w/o tech package.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sportschicfla
....When using the bluetooth for conversation, it works fine for about 3 minutes of the conversation and then the people on the other end of the call can suddenly barely hear me.....
Is that problem consistent and never varying in the amount of time before the problem occurs and is it with EVERY person you talk to?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by techman707
Is that problem consistent and never varying in the amount of time before the problem occurs and is it with EVERY person you talk to?
It happens every time no matter who I talk to and usually about the same amount of time into the call.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced

It happens every time no matter who I talk to and usually about the same amount of time into the call.
The reason I asked is because I have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and haven't noticed (or have been told by anyone I'm talking to) a problem. However, my calls aren't normally very long. The only complaints I've gotten, on occasion, is when I'm driving on the highway going around 70mph. That problem is apparently caused from "wind noise" that must be getting picked up by the microphone.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

The reason I asked is because I have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and haven't noticed (or have been told by anyone I'm talking to) a problem. However, my calls aren't normally very long. The only complaints I've gotten, on occasion, is when I'm driving on the highway going around 70mph. That problem is apparently caused from "wind noise" that must be getting picked up by the microphone.
Yeah like I said, never an issues with the Blackberry. Just when I changed my primary phone to the RAZR MAXX. Looking for any suggestions.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Yeah like I said, never an issues with the Blackberry. Just when I changed my primary phone to the RAZR MAXX. Looking for any suggestions.
If it' a phone issue, I can't imagine WHY it would only go bad after 3 minutes. And I'm sure if you asked Motorola, they would dismiss it as an Acura issue. Could it be a power management setting on the phone?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Cruisin'

If it' a phone issue, I can't imagine WHY it would only go bad after 3 minutes. And I'm sure if you asked Motorola, they would dismiss it as an Acura issue. Could it be a power management setting on the phone?
Last time I had this phone as the primary I didn't have any issues with it. Haven't changed any phone settings but did have the recall done on my car and I think they might have updated my software then too because some other things have changed on the car. At a loss as to what to try next.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

Just got my galaxy s4 and i tried pairing it to the rdx. It connects for 5 seconds than disconnects. Anyway to fix this? Had a galaxy II and worked without a problem.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Even tried re-pairing it with no success. Ideas?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Even tried re-pairing it with no success. Ideas?
The Hands Free Link software update is supposed to address the problem you are having. You said the dealer "may" have done the update. I recently had mine done too. Problem is I don't know for sure what version the update is supposed to be. I should have checked the version number before going in, oh well. Anyway a member posted in another thread that v1.05 was the original, v1.06 the update, and v1.08 the iPhone Siri beta by invitation only, however, I spoke to Acura tech and was told v1.05 is the update. That is what I have after the update. I was concerned that update did not finalize so, if you can check what version you have and a few other members post what they have and whether or not they had the update done along with if it is a 2013 or 2014 maybe we can figure out if you and I actually have the update and what version numbers they are and confirm the original version number.
Also I suspect the 2014 has the update version so lets find out.

Here are the instructions on how to check your HFL software version:

This is for Base models only. Once I figure it out I will post instructions for Tech models in a follow-up post.

With the car running or on accessory mode, turn off the radio, press and hold the 1, keep holding then press and hold the 6, keep holding then press and hold Vol/Power.

You should see A-Diag DIAG
Press the Phone button and hold about five seconds until you see the screen change then press the 2 once or if needed a few times until you see something like A-Diag 1.05.0 that is the HFL software version number. Don't press the 2 past the A-Diag UPDATE screen. You can exit by pushing the radio power button. Start over if needed.

Hopefully we will get enough participation in this to confirm what numbers the software versions actually are.

All who do this remember post the year and if you had the update done or not.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Racer

For those who have a Tech model and want to check the HFL software version the attached PDF should be able to help you figure it out. I don't have a Tech model to confirm.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tech.pdf (701.3 KB, 427 views)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Racer

I can now confirm my HFL was updated successfully with version 1.05.0 as I have not experienced any problems since and also found another streaming problem was fixed at the same time. I have a music list on my iPhone 5 that played properly connected with the cable but did not advance to the next song instead starting the same song over again when using Bluetooth. That was before the update. With the update the songs now advance to the next with the Bluetooth just like it was connected with the cable.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

I looked mine up and I don't have the latest version. Is this something that the dealer has to do?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced

I looked mine up and I don't have the latest version. Is this something that the dealer has to do?
Yes.
Sportschicfla (09-23-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Cruisin'

Yes.
Oddly enough they had to order parts to upgrade my 2013 RDX software. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Oddly enough they had to order parts to upgrade my 2013 RDX software. Anyone else have this happen?
Unless they refer to firmware as "parts", I wonder what part they had to order? I also wonder when or if they corrected the problem on later cars?

Quick Reply: 2013 RDX and Phones