Wood grain interior trim kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012 | 07:11 AM
Cruisin'

Wood grain interior trim kit

Has anyone added this kit to your RDX purchase? Thoughts and pictures welcomed. My dog scratched up the passenger dash panel and this got me thinking..

http://www.acura.com/Accessories.asp...cId=RDX0013018
Old 07-01-2012 | 10:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Surfer88
Has anyone added this kit to your RDX purchase? Thoughts and pictures welcomed. My dog scratched up the passenger dash panel and this got me thinking..

http://www.acura.com/Accessories.asp...cId=RDX0013018
Some photos here show the base wood trim, no shift knob or steering wheel.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-photograph-gallery-408/2013-rdx-awd-tech-silver-moon-w-ebony-leather-857811/

Good luck, Jim
Old 07-01-2012 | 12:33 PM
Racer

I added this to my Basque Red with Parchment interior that is on order. Sales guy went to the parts department and pulled the steering wheel and shifter for me to see, is darker as some have noted, think it looks good and should compliment the parchment, hard to ultimately say until it is installed.
Old 07-01-2012 | 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

Looks good, stands out more than I thought it would. I look forward to the pictures with the parchment interior as that is the color I have.
Old 07-01-2012 | 09:03 PM
Drifting

These pictures show the full wood package with the parchment interior. They were posted in the photograph gallery sub-forum by user mpd210 :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5631755...oto_7168251665
Old 07-01-2012 | 09:14 PM
10th Gear

I have Amber Brownstone with parchment interior and wood trim, steering wheel, and shift knob, which I really like. Here is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain interior trim kit-acura-ext-1.jpg   Wood grain interior trim kit-interior-wood-trim.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012 | 10:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Looks pretty good. It is darker than the Acura pics show. They look more reddish tone. I checked out the shift knob at my dealer...it was darker than their pics. They didn't have the other pieces.
The steering wheel cost is too rich for me. I could see doing the dash/door trim and the shift knob. Still would look good with parchment, even without the steering wheel.

Thanks for the pics!! I like the Amber Brownstone. Mine is Diamond White Pearl.....my wife's choice!
I also like the Forged Silver Met. color with parchment interior. Oh well. It's kinda her ride anyway.
Old 07-01-2012 | 11:07 PM
10th Gear

The only reason I didn't get the Diamond White Pearl was that I'd had a white car (2001 Lexus RX300) for the past 11 years and wanted to try something different. I am washing it more often as I am at a stable every day and the dust shows up more on this color than it did on my white one.

The dealer wouldn't budge off of MSRP but would negotiate accessories. I wasn't going to get the wood trim steering wheel due to cost but they ended up giving it to me and I paid a total of $1000 for the wood trim, shift knob, body side molding, cargo liner, and cargo cover including installation.

I'm up to 1500 miles and love the car!
Old 07-01-2012 | 11:23 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Well, in your case, it's all about "jumbling the numbers around." You paid MSRP....wow! I got 1500 off. I tried to negotiate accessories....was told 20% off and full cost for installs. I declined on the accessories. Did my own thing.

Actually I have favored white over the years. Have had many of them. But, also am open to interesting colors when they come along. White does hide some dusting and light dirt.
But, this white pearl seems to show it more than standard white colors. I currently have a white Accord Cpe. and it seems to hide the dirt better than the pearl.

This is only my second pearl white car. I really didn't want it since doing touch ups and repaints of bumber covers, etc.....are way too hard to get a good color match. Found that out on my first pearl white.
Old 12-20-2012 | 03:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sculldog3
I added this to my Basque Red with Parchment interior that is on order. Sales guy went to the parts department and pulled the steering wheel and shifter for me to see, is darker as some have noted, think it looks good and should compliment the parchment, hard to ultimately say until it is installed.
Wow, that is my car exactly
Old 12-20-2012 | 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Some photos here show the base wood trim, no shift knob or steering wheel.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857811
Good luck, Jim
Yeah I have the base wood trim DIY installed. Got them online for $200 shipped.
My RDX is black exterior with parchment interior which the wood trim really gives a classy look.

I've got to say that the pics in the link above has the passenger dash side improperly installed; the edges should not stick out like that. Mine are nicely tucked under the upper dash.

Only trouble I had was the driver door trim. I tried as much as I can but the piece didn't sit with a flush surface around the door pocket opening. Not noticable by sight, but can be felt.

Color wise, like everyone has said, is darker than the pics and not as reddish, IMO just about the right color. The grain pattern is a bit outdated, but the matte finish still gives off a modern look.
Old 12-21-2012 | 01:44 PM
Advanced

I can't decide on adding the wood grain options. But I do have a few questions for you guys. Here are the options that I am aware of:

Steering wheel - $550
Knob $150
Interior trim $280

Questions:
  1. Are these just plastic replacement parts or just a "stick on" type adhesive product?
  2. Has anyone installed these themselves?
  3. How difficult was it?
  4. Does anyone have a scanned copy of the installation instructions?
  5. If you had it installed by the dealer, how much was it?

I've seen a few pics here with the parchment and wood, feel free to post more of them. I think it would help my decision.

Thanks

Last edited by Lanman; 12-21-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2012 | 02:33 PM
Racer

check this out

http://www.handa-accessories.com/rdx13.html
The following users liked this post:
Lanman (12-21-2012)
Old 12-21-2012 | 02:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vividsi
Thanks Vividsi!

Now all I need it the steering wheel instructions.
Old 12-23-2012 | 07:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lanman
Now all I need it the steering wheel instructions.
Here you go (see attached PDF).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BII13465.pdf (540.1 KB, 246 views)
Lanman (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012 | 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GRDX
Here you go (see attached PDF).
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012 | 02:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Lanman
I can't decide on adding the wood grain options. But I do have a few questions for you guys. Here are the options that I am aware of:

Steering wheel - $550
Knob $150
Interior trim $280

Questions:
  1. Are these just plastic replacement parts or just a "stick on" type adhesive product?
  2. Has anyone installed these themselves?
  3. How difficult was it?
  4. Does anyone have a scanned copy of the installation instructions?
  5. If you had it installed by the dealer, how much was it?
I've seen a few pics here with the parchment and wood, feel free to post more of them. I think it would help my decision.

Thanks
I did the shifter knob and the interior parts. Steering wheel...to me...not necessary and is too costly. I did the install myself. They are stick on "plastic" that goes over the existing trim. The install instructions can be downloaded from Bernardis'. To me the coloring of the "wood" was OK so that was the determining factor to buy.

My best advice...take your time...read the instructions....and know that the dash pieces have to be fitted up and under the soft dash panel....if not...and you stop short, then the "wood piece" will be too far down and look stupid. I saw this on someone else's pics. It's NOT easy getting those dash pieces "pushed up" to be under the edge and thus properly positioned. Doing this makes it difficult removing the plastic backing that covers the "sticky tape." I practiced placing the pieces and just visualizing what the "problmes" might be with all the pieces before doing anything else. You have to plan how to place the pieces, especially on the door switch panels.

If you are not particularly "handy" at doing this kind of work...I would have an accessory install guy do it....and if possible check his previous work on this kit. Or if that is not possible, have him talk you through how he does it. Especially how he plans on getting the wood trim "tucked up" under the dash soft overhang....so when stuck in place the....ends will look right. It is curved. If NOT tucked up in the center area, then the ends will "hang down low" and look stupid. Trust me on this!!!
Lanman (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012 | 10:31 PM
Advanced

Thanks Colorado guy. I will be deciding soon.
Old 12-28-2012 | 01:31 PM
Instructor

Totally agree with Co guy AF Ret.
I did the interior trim pieces only, was quite easy once you get a hang of it. 20 mins tops.

What I did:
- Dry fit them first to see exactly how they fit
- I didn't bother with the masking tape method used by the instructions, I just took all the backing tape off
- Make sure you get all of the tape off. Some pieces have transparent backing tape so it's hard to see if you had already peeled them or not.
- Do the rear seats first, they're the easiest
- Do the front dash and driver door last, those are the hardest

For the front dash what I did was remove all the backing tape (after dry fit) and just jabbed the center portion of the trim piece into and under the soft dash as much as I can.

So far I think I did a great job, better than the link in post #2 above.
Wood trim steering wheel was too $$ and kinda old fashioned looking IMO.
Old 12-31-2012 | 02:18 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Installing wood kit

I agree that it was easier not using the masking tape "method" for most of the pieces. I did use it for some. The harder to install ones, like the dash was hard enough without having to deal with the removal of the masking tape holding the thin backing strips.

Make sure you use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the area before applying the pieces. You want a solid sticking "performance" after you have pushed down each piece for permanent install....hopefully!

Mine has held up well....no issues with not staying where I put them, etc. Overall it looks better....but, real wood would be nice too. But, no regrets. The shift knob was expensive, for sure, but, I do like the looks with it compared to the standard leather one.
Old 12-31-2012 | 02:38 PM
Racer

One possible word of caution for anyone trying to do the wheel install as a DIY. I had the dealer do the wheel when I bought the car new. Not sure if it's related, but I also had several instances of the wheel locking up, and refusing to budge, with the net effect of stranding me in the car. Car wouldn't start, couldn't shift, and wheel moved barely a half inch in the locked mode, with wheel at 12:00-12:05 position. Thankfully all happened in the driveway, but annoying for a new car. They ultimately replaced some sort of pin in the wheel that wasn't releasing the wheel, and I wonder if in the course of pulling the old wheel, removing the airbag, reattaching with the new, that something got disturbed along the way. Could be unrelated, but just seemed unusual that what failed was in the wheel ...and the wheel had been touched post factory build -- will look to pull the paperwork, can't recall what exactly they replaced.
I do like the look the wheel, feels nicer and with parchment, think it's a good look.
Old 01-16-2013 | 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Just had the wood trim installed on mine, all three packages. It looks really nice. I'll upload pics when I can.

I have the 2013 RDX FWD Tech Pkg Forged Silver Metallic (and love it!)
Old 01-21-2013 | 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Here is a piic of the kit installed on mine... It really made the trim good looking... It was very plain before (especially compared to the GLK whose interiors I love...)
Attached Thumbnails Wood grain interior trim kit-wp_20130104_006-1-copy.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013 | 06:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by minothor
Here is a piic of the kit installed on mine... It really made the trim good looking... It was very plain before (especially compared to the GLK whose interiors I love...)
Did you have this done? How much was the total with the kit? Had not been thinking of doing this, but I have the partchment and you pic looks great!
Old 01-23-2013 | 06:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
Did you have this done? How much was the total with the kit? Had not been thinking of doing this, but I have the partchment and you pic looks great!
I'm curious too.
Old 01-28-2013 | 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
I had this done by the dealer at the time of purchase and I negotiated the total price including accessories, so I do not recall how much the trim alone cost. Sorry

I'd recommend talking to your dealer and get a quote for parts+labor and labor only then comparison shop for parts at Ebay or Bernandi... If you are savvy enough to install them yourselves, then even better (they are only stick on parts on top of the existing trim, so nothing to remove...)