Who's buying their off-lease RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Who's buying their off-lease RDX?

In eight short months, we will be at the end of our 36-month lease on the '13 RDX FWD Tech. Mileage will be close, but likely a couple thousand over. DW scraped the right front bumper pretty good along with some paint damage to the hatch and right rear door-guard-molding. In other words, unless we lease another Acura and enjoy some 'forgiveness', we will probably be out some $$$ if we turn in the RDX. I'm thinking we might buy it for the residual and hang on for an extra year or so until we find something(maybe another RDX?) else. Could be we keep it much longer; but that's not our MO for the last 14 years of car purchasing.

I know we have the option of continuing our lease as well; but with used car rates ~2% as a guess, we might finance the balance and see what comes along, rather than continue 'renting' and still having to deal with the ding at the time of turn-in.

Hmmm...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
In eight short months, we will be at the end of our 36-month lease on the '13 RDX FWD Tech. Mileage will be close, but likely a couple thousand over. DW scraped the right front bumper pretty good along with some paint damage to the hatch and right rear door-guard-molding. In other words, unless we lease another Acura and enjoy some 'forgiveness', we will probably be out some $$$ if we turn in the RDX. I'm thinking we might buy it for the residual and hang on for an extra year or so until we find something(maybe another RDX?) else. Could be we keep it much longer; but that's not our MO for the last 14 years of car purchasing.

I know we have the option of continuing our lease as well; but with used car rates ~2% as a guess, we might finance the balance and see what comes along, rather than continue 'renting' and still having to deal with the ding at the time of turn-in.

Hmmm...
Compare your residual to the car's value. You may have some negotiating room there. You should also get a quote for the paint work.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
By then the 2016 will be out, perhaps you can turn in the old one and lease the 2016 for 3 years.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
yeah, lease the 2016 if you like it at that time
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
By then the 2016 will be out, perhaps you can turn in the old one and lease the 2016 for 3 years.
Originally Posted by kareshi
yeah, lease the 2016 if you like it at that time
Honestly not sure I like it enough to get another one that will likely be almost identical. Nothing wrong with it; but we could go smaller and be OK...along the lines of the NX...or cheaper like the CRV or similar.

Just wondering if anyone was so smitten that they purchased at lease end.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Honestly not sure I like it enough to get another one that will likely be almost identical. Nothing wrong with it; but we could go smaller and be OK...along the lines of the NX...or cheaper like the CRV or similar.

Just wondering if anyone was so smitten that they purchased at lease end.
I'm a first-time leaser with my TLX so my experience is zilch, but if you bought your RDX at the end of the lease, wouldn't you have to pay sales tax on the ultimate sales price? This could make a difference in your buy/walk-away decision.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CanTex
I'm a first-time leaser with my TLX so my experience is zilch, but if you bought your RDX at the end of the lease, wouldn't you have to pay sales tax on the ultimate sales price? This could make a difference in your buy/walk-away decision.
You and I have been paying sales tax already. Factored into the lease payment. Would seem reasonable to pay tax on the residual...just as another buyer would pay on the balance. No free lunch as they say.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Pro

I'll give this thread a little bump, if you don't mind...now that more of us are approaching the end of our 3-year leases of the '13 RDX. The more I hear about potential new entries into the market AND the potential of a significant change to the RDX, the more I feel a need to do 'something' for a few months after our lease is up in August. That 'something' could be to extend our lease for a few months OR buy the RDX outright in anticipation of trading toward something brand new. There is still the possibility that we would purchase the RDX for long term(although we have not driven a new vehicle significantly out of warranty in over a 14 years of new car purchases).

A few factors are at play...A) DW customized the front bumper by dragging it along the garage door framing, resulting in a likely significant penalty at lease turn-in...not something I'm compelled to restore IF we end up buying the vehicle as it is strictly cosmetic. 2) We will likely be 2-3k miles over our lease terms at the scheduled turn-in. I'm guessing Acura would overlook that IF we re-lease and some of it would be forgiven any way. C) We could very well do with a smaller CUV-type vehicle for the next go-round...we are the perfect target customer for the newest generation of cute-utes, given that the back seats are used about twice a year and most 'hauling' is limited to a single bicycle. Fuel economy is a minor concern as I don't anticipate finding something with decent performance that will return much more than the 23-25mpg overall that we've gotten with the RDX. 4) Things get a little more interesting upkeep-wise as we pass the 36K mile mark and head toward ~50K miles in the next year or so...tires are a concern, as would any significant scheduled maintenance AND the expiration of the factory warranty...all factors to consider.

Plenty to think about over the next few months, I reckon
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You might want to go to a good bodyshop and get a quote on the repair. You might be surprised and that might increase your negotiating power with Acura on lease turn in. I recently had some similar damage repaired on my mom's RX300 and a full bumper respray (including a bit of filler) was $300. I can't tell the difference and neither will your dealer as you can't paint meter a plastic bumper.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Compare your residual to the car's value. You may have some negotiating room there. You should also get a quote for the paint work.
There's no such thing, and you cannot negotiate a residual in any way shape or form, especially if you leased properly through Acura Financial Services and not a 3rd party bank.

The point of a residual is to be fixed, not vary. With your RDX, you should be in a good spot, and be able to buy your car still for less than its current market value.

If you're not ready for something new, buy it out and then you can still trade it when the time comes you do want something...best of both worlds.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by beach109
There's no such thing, and you cannot negotiate a residual in any way shape or form, especially if you leased properly through Acura Financial Services and not a 3rd party bank.

The point of a residual is to be fixed, not vary. With your RDX, you should be in a good spot, and be able to buy your car still for less than its current market value.

If you're not ready for something new, buy it out and then you can still trade it when the time comes you do want something...best of both worlds.
While you cannot "negotiate the residual" (I never said you could - I said "Compare your residual to the car's value. You may have some negotiating room there") you can certainly negotiate the amount of money that you pay for the car at lease end. Acura would much rather have a quick sale than a car that they need to prep and resell.

While "Acura doesn't do that" may be the rule, I've successfully negotiated a better price on lease turn-in with Acura twice.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb

While "Acura doesn't do that" may be the rule, I've successfully negotiated a better price on lease turn-in with Acura twice.
Interesting...I've never purchased a vehicle at lease-end. Never really considered a negotiation position. More to think about before summer!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Interesting...I've never purchased a vehicle at lease-end. Never really considered a negotiation position. More to think about before summer!
IF the car is worth more at lease end than the residual, then it will be hard to negotiate, but if the car is worth less, then your in a better position.

Not getting the damage repaired "might" be an advantage in negotiation but you'll need to know exactly what the repair will cost you.

Acura wants a car that they can turn around quickly. You can make that easier for them.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
IF the car is worth more at lease end than the residual, then it will be hard to negotiate, but if the car is worth less, then your in a better position.

Not getting the damage repaired "might" be an advantage in negotiation but you'll need to know exactly what the repair will cost you.

Acura wants a car that they can turn around quickly. You can make that easier for them.
Interesting call today...from a new sales guy at the dealership(the two fellows with whom I worked my current RDX deal are no longer with the dealer). I reckon he was just fishing, since he didn't have any offer to make for an early check-out. He did say they expect the first '16 RDX in 2-3 weeks...naturally to be made available for inspection. We shall see.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Interesting call today...from a new sales guy at the dealership(the two fellows with whom I worked my current RDX deal are no longer with the dealer). I reckon he was just fishing, since he didn't have any offer to make for an early check-out. He did say they expect the first '16 RDX in 2-3 weeks...naturally to be made available for inspection. We shall see.
That's great news because it means that spring starts early
Old 07-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Pro

Well, we are down to the wire...made the last payment on the 3 year lease on the '13 RDX FWD Tech and it's time to decide...
For $23,350, I can own 'my' RDX outright...Depending on which site you use, that's about the trade value of the vehicle and a bit less than it would go for on a lot...in other words, a decent price for what it is...not spectacular, but I have to consider the 'dings' I would take if I just turn it in...needs about $700 worth of body repair to take care of the 'customizing' my DW performed on the right front bumper cover. Also, we are just under 3000 miles over our allotment at the mid-August turn-in date. SO.....to turn it in would cost a bit...to re-lease with Acura, I reckon all would be forgiven. Problem is...Acura doesn't have a vehicle for us...we really want to go cheaper and smaller, BUT still with the elevated ride height and electronic gizmos for My Darling. Enter the CRV or CX5...I don't relish the idea of leaving 80-100 horsepower on the table; but from all accounts, those two 4cyl drivetrains are pretty cool and economical to boot.

It would be interesting if Honda Finance would treat me as a continuing customer and apply the 'Forgiveness' I would receive if swapping for another Acura. I'd be most interested in a completely loaded FWD CRV. Sure would reduce headaches if I didn't have to deal with the repairs to the RDX(of course, I can wait IF I decide to purchase it outright); but I'm not interested in a loaded RDX...still thinking smaller and cheaper and more efficient. We could make a mid-August swap for the CRV and I could whimper about the horsepower later(remember, the other vehicle is the Volvo C70, so plenty of 'fun' still in the garage). As we get older, perhaps my desire for extra horsepower will wane. The CRV is no slug; but I surely do enjoy the couple times a day I put my foot into the RDX throttle .

Dang, this being on a budget stuff is for the birds!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Well, we are down to the wire...made the last payment on the 3 year lease on the '13 RDX FWD Tech and it's time to decide...
For $23,350, I can own 'my' RDX outright...Depending on which site you use, that's about the trade value of the vehicle and a bit less than it would go for on a lot...in other words, a decent price for what it is...not spectacular, but I have to consider the 'dings' I would take if I just turn it in...needs about $700 worth of body repair to take care of the 'customizing' my DW performed on the right front bumper cover. Also, we are just under 3000 miles over our allotment at the mid-August turn-in date. SO.....to turn it in would cost a bit...to re-lease with Acura, I reckon all would be forgiven. Problem is...Acura doesn't have a vehicle for us...we really want to go cheaper and smaller, BUT still with the elevated ride height and electronic gizmos for My Darling. Enter the CRV or CX5...I don't relish the idea of leaving 80-100 horsepower on the table; but from all accounts, those two 4cyl drivetrains are pretty cool and economical to boot.

It would be interesting if Honda Finance would treat me as a continuing customer and apply the 'Forgiveness' I would receive if swapping for another Acura. I'd be most interested in a completely loaded FWD CRV. Sure would reduce headaches if I didn't have to deal with the repairs to the RDX(of course, I can wait IF I decide to purchase it outright); but I'm not interested in a loaded RDX...still thinking smaller and cheaper and more efficient. We could make a mid-August swap for the CRV and I could whimper about the horsepower later(remember, the other vehicle is the Volvo C70, so plenty of 'fun' still in the garage). As we get older, perhaps my desire for extra horsepower will wane. The CRV is no slug; but I surely do enjoy the couple times a day I put my foot into the RDX throttle .

Dang, this being on a budget stuff is for the birds!!!
Is there a local Honda dealership that also owns an Acura dealership? That is the only way you "might" be able to lease a CRV but it depends on how hot used RDXs are selling in your area. If the dealer thinks he can make a quick profit then he'll do you a deal.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
Is there a local Honda dealership that also owns an Acura dealership? That is the only way you "might" be able to lease a CRV but it depends on how hot used RDXs are selling in your area. If the dealer thinks he can make a quick profit then he'll do you a deal.
Spoke with a Honda rep on Friday...says there is no bridge between the two marques from a consumer finance perspective. I'm sure they would trade my RDX toward a CRV; but the huge dealer I went to is selling every one they get in(often in advance) at full sticker...zero discount. Not promising, especially considering these are 2015 models(with the 2016 a few weeks out). Interestingly, the HRV is even hotter according to sales dude...pretty sure NONE have even hit the sales floor!

I need to spend a bit of time in the CX5 before I get too frisky about paying full boat for a CRV. Seems the CRV and CX5 have some trade-offs with neither having a distinct advantage over the other(that isn't balanced by some DISadvantage ). I'm thinking I should just buy the RDX and drive it until I find a fair deal on something more compact(actually the CRV and CX5 don't offer a giant step in that direction except for MPG and perhaps handling...the darned footprints are near the same ).

Perhaps, eventually, the sub-compact Acura will make it to market in the US or MAYBE the Volvo XC40 with the 240-ish HP engine.

I have no doubt that the Acura dealer would shoot me a deal to stay in the family...it's just that the commitment to a NEW RDX with the bells and whistles we want just beats the heck out of the budget...by a good $8-10K .

Dang!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Spoke with a Honda rep on Friday...says there is no bridge between the two marques from a consumer finance perspective. I'm sure they would trade my RDX toward a CRV; but the huge dealer I went to is selling every one they get in(often in advance) at full sticker...zero discount. Not promising, especially considering these are 2015 models(with the 2016 a few weeks out). Interestingly, the HRV is even hotter according to sales dude...pretty sure NONE have even hit the sales floor!

I need to spend a bit of time in the CX5 before I get too frisky about paying full boat for a CRV. Seems the CRV and CX5 have some trade-offs with neither having a distinct advantage over the other(that isn't balanced by some DISadvantage ). I'm thinking I should just buy the RDX and drive it until I find a fair deal on something more compact(actually the CRV and CX5 don't offer a giant step in that direction except for MPG and perhaps handling...the darned footprints are near the same ).

Perhaps, eventually, the sub-compact Acura will make it to market in the US or MAYBE the Volvo XC40 with the 240-ish HP engine.

I have no doubt that the Acura dealer would shoot me a deal to stay in the family...it's just that the commitment to a NEW RDX with the bells and whistles we want just beats the heck out of the budget...by a good $8-10K .

Dang!
True, there is no official "bridge" between the two companies but if a parent dealership sells both marques then they have a bit more leeway - you buy out your lease and they give you more money than you paid - then they move it to the Acura lot and sell it for even more profit.

One of our "mistakes" when we look at replacing cars is comparing apples to oranges. We compare the price of our current car to the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles and are surprised at the $$ difference. Try comparing your current car to the new one with similar options and that price gap gets narrower.

You'll also want to look at resale when looking at other cars. There is a reason why the Honda/Acura family holds the values and why the command close to list.

I get new car fever every couple of years but recently have been pretty good at getting over it. I ask myself "what am I getting with the new car?" Often the answer is "very little" and the trade-offs are often pretty huge. I've invested in winter tires on wheels, OptiCoat and a clear bra, an extended warranty and routine maintenance package, mats, liners and a bunch of other stuff. There is nothing wrong with my car so why do I want another car? That usually talks me off the ledge for a half year or so.

Ask yourself what you really want in a new car. Do you really want or need those new features? Ever since I learned to adjust my mirrors properly I never had any "blind spot close calls" so that feature is probably more annoying than useful. An upgraded nav? My co-pilot uses the cell phone to identify POI and the nav finds them. No current built in system (with the exception of the Google based system in Tesla)can update POI as quickly as they change. Apple's CarPlay and the Android equivalent may one day do that but right now neither system really works.

Is your new car going to be as reliable as the RDX? We complain about minor issues but nothing that leaves you stranded.

Make a list and check it twice. Then decide.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb

I get new car fever every couple of years but recently have been pretty good at getting over it. I ask myself "what am I getting with the new car?" Often the answer is "very little" and the trade-offs are often pretty huge. I've invested in winter tires on wheels, OptiCoat and a clear bra, an extended warranty and routine maintenance package, mats, liners and a bunch of other stuff. There is nothing wrong with my car so why do I want another car? That usually talks me off the ledge for a half year or so..
Dang...bringing up LOGIC in this emotional discussion!
It HAS been tough to leave one very nicely appointed vehicle just to get something new and shiny...ever since we started doing so around 2002. Lots of Volvos in the mix, all turbos and all great road cars...some appointed with real wood trim, beautiful leather, killer paint and seats that can't be beat! Guess we're a little spoiled, a far cry from the 1991 Miata with manual windows, no brake or steering assist and manual tranny.

As much as I don't care for the 'nanny gizmos' we had on the XC60 and will be available on the CRV, DW is perhaps a bit more 'confident' with those little helpers in place...so we are likely to include them on the next vehicle...our RDX has none save the back up camera. Right now, she has come out of retirement and re-joined the workforce, unfortunately with a 50-mile round trip commute. I'd like for her to be as safe and comfy as possible, short of my driving her to work each day! I know she shouldn't rely on gizmos to keep her safe; but if BLIS or lane-holding goodies will make her commute less stressful, then I reckon that's why they include them.

Thanks for your very reasonable response...I doubt I'll "miss out" on any major deals if I cool my jets for a few weeks/months until something outstanding comes along. I'd love to find something like the $13K I got off sticker when I got the last blue C70 I could find a couple of years ago! I'm not expecting to catch that sort of break this time!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Dang...bringing up LOGIC in this emotional discussion!
It HAS been tough to leave one very nicely appointed vehicle just to get something new and shiny...ever since we started doing so around 2002. Lots of Volvos in the mix, all turbos and all great road cars...some appointed with real wood trim, beautiful leather, killer paint and seats that can't be beat! Guess we're a little spoiled, a far cry from the 1991 Miata with manual windows, no brake or steering assist and manual tranny.

As much as I don't care for the 'nanny gizmos' we had on the XC60 and will be available on the CRV, DW is perhaps a bit more 'confident' with those little helpers in place...so we are likely to include them on the next vehicle...our RDX has none save the back up camera. Right now, she has come out of retirement and re-joined the workforce, unfortunately with a 50-mile round trip commute. I'd like for her to be as safe and comfy as possible, short of my driving her to work each day! I know she shouldn't rely on gizmos to keep her safe; but if BLIS or lane-holding goodies will make her commute less stressful, then I reckon that's why they include them.

Thanks for your very reasonable response...I doubt I'll "miss out" on any major deals if I cool my jets for a few weeks/months until something outstanding comes along. I'd love to find something like the $13K I got off sticker when I got the last blue C70 I could find a couple of years ago! I'm not expecting to catch that sort of break this time!
Makes sense - so - here's what I would do.

Go to a dealer where you have no intention of buying a car and pick out what DW wants.

Then, whichever of you is the better negotiator, go alone to the dealer of your choice making clear that you've got plenty of time but are willing to buy now at the right price. This only works if you know exactly what you want, the dealer has it, you know what you are willing to pay and are ready to walk away.

Why go alone? It is easier to stay emotionally detached and you can aways say "I have to check with XYZ".
Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

CRV demand may have been relatively high, but it's recently taken a nose dive. I think it probably has to do with the 2016 Hyundai Tucson getting ready to be released. You can get a fully loaded CRV for $3K off MSRP in my area (Atlanta, GA).

Between the CRV, CX-5 and Hyundai Tucson, the Tucson would be an easy choice for me.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by yeoyes
CRV demand may have been relatively high, but it's recently taken a nose dive. I think it probably has to do with the 2016 Hyundai Tucson getting ready to be released. You can get a fully loaded CRV for $3K off MSRP in my area (Atlanta, GA).

Between the CRV, CX-5 and Hyundai Tucson, the Tucson would be an easy choice for me.
Ah, Atlanta...the southeastern automobile headquarters!!! Yep, spent 25 years there. When looking for a Camry for Mom, I found THIRTEEN Toyota dealers in the metro area!!! FOUR Volvo dealers and as many(or more now) Lexus dealers! Made finding a buying a vehicle much easier, even before instant internet information. Even the Lexus dealer spotted me $6K when we got our RX330 back in '06. Not quite as easy out here...Deepinthehearta, Texas; although, I'm willing to work a bit to make sure I don't get hammered on a deal. It doesn't have to be fantastic, just fair.

I'll dig a bit more for performance info on the Tucson...looks like it would be $33.5K with FWD and most of the bells and whistles. What would draw you to it over the Honda or Mazda, given no real price advantage?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Ah, Atlanta...the southeastern automobile headquarters!!! Yep, spent 25 years there. When looking for a Camry for Mom, I found THIRTEEN Toyota dealers in the metro area!!! FOUR Volvo dealers and as many(or more now) Lexus dealers! Made finding a buying a vehicle much easier, even before instant internet information. Even the Lexus dealer spotted me $6K when we got our RX330 back in '06. Not quite as easy out here...Deepinthehearta, Texas; although, I'm willing to work a bit to make sure I don't get hammered on a deal. It doesn't have to be fantastic, just fair.

I'll dig a bit more for performance info on the Tucson...looks like it would be $33.5K with FWD and most of the bells and whistles. What would draw you to it over the Honda or Mazda, given no real price advantage?
Exterior styling: Tucson wins. I like the CRV except the huge tumor growing out of its back. The CX-5 is nice, but I've driven the Mazda3 hatchback for the last 5 years. I just feel like I'd be driving the same car on stilts. Tucson has a fresh new design which attracts my attention.

Interior styling: CX-5 (see above). I like the interior of the CRV, but it's a close 2nd to the Tucson. Of course, I haven't seen the Hyundai in person, so I'll have to go to a dealership and actually see and feel the craftsmanship. Based on the reviews, I'm leaning towards the Tucson again.

Engine: Honda CRV dead last due to the CVT engine and rattling/vibrating issues. Toss up between CX-5 and the Tucson. Again, I'd have to test drive it.

Goodies: I think this is where the Tucson is going to be one of its selling points. I don't think any other model in its class offers ventilated front seats or heated rear seats. The Tucson has both. The Tucson will also have Android Auto compatibility. Huge bonus. I think the Tucson has a couple of other features not available from the competition, but the ventilated front seats and Android Auto would be a huge selling point for me.

That being said, I'm a little torn between the 2016 RDX Advance and the Tucson. The V6 smooth engine, exterior styling, and premium interior on the RDX are the selling points for me. Even though it'll cost $8K+ more than the Tucson, I'm still leaning heavily on the RDX. It'll take one hell of a test drive to sway me towards the Hyundai Tucson.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yeoyes
Exterior styling: Tucson wins. I like the CRV except the huge tumor growing out of its back. The CX-5 is nice, but I've driven the Mazda3 hatchback for the last 5 years. I just feel like I'd be driving the same car on stilts. Tucson has a fresh new design which attracts my attention.

Interior styling: CX-5 (see above). I like the interior of the CRV, but it's a close 2nd to the Tucson. Of course, I haven't seen the Hyundai in person, so I'll have to go to a dealership and actually see and feel the craftsmanship. Based on the reviews, I'm leaning towards the Tucson again.

Engine: Honda CRV dead last due to the CVT engine and rattling/vibrating issues. Toss up between CX-5 and the Tucson. Again, I'd have to test drive it.

Goodies: I think this is where the Tucson is going to be one of its selling points. I don't think any other model in its class offers ventilated front seats or heated rear seats. The Tucson has both. The Tucson will also have Android Auto compatibility. Huge bonus. I think the Tucson has a couple of other features not available from the competition, but the ventilated front seats and Android Auto would be a huge selling point for me.

That being said, I'm a little torn between the 2016 RDX Advance and the Tucson. The V6 smooth engine, exterior styling, and premium interior on the RDX are the selling points for me. Even though it'll cost $8K+ more than the Tucson, I'm still leaning heavily on the RDX. It'll take one hell of a test drive to sway me towards the Hyundai Tucson.
Great way to recommend a car.

Hyundai's main problem remains perception and resale value. Both are very subjective and hopefully that will continue to change since the quality of the cars are quite good. They are also good value for money new and great value on the secondary market.

You may want to consider shopping in a larger Metro area where there is more competition.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
one of the big differences for me is the 182HP engine in the Tuscon vs the 279HP in the 2016 RDX. I haven't driven the Tuscon but I expect that the difference is noticeable.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by computer_man
one of the big differences for me is the 182HP engine in the Tuscon vs the 279HP in the 2016 RDX. I haven't driven the Tuscon but I expect that the difference is noticeable.
Certainly 80-100 fewer/less horsepower(s) is noticeable; but most of the vehicles mentioned are a few hundred pounds lighter. That 180hp in the three thousand pound Fiat 500X could be interesting!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Advanced

True. the Tuscon is 3439 lbs while the RDX is 3852 lbs.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Great way to recommend a car.
Kind of hard to test drive it when it's finally starting to appear at Hyundai dealers literally this week.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Pro

Well, kids...we can lock this thread! We went so far off the reservation, our vehicle transaction yesterday is leaving most of us scratching our heads.

We now own a brand spanking new FIAT 500L(that's the little wagon for those not keeping score). My Darling loves it, realizes the tiny little engine will be tougher to drive...BUT, she really likes the smaller foot print, the BEATS sound system, the visibility and so far...all the quirks. (I don't mind the 29mpg so far)

Don't expect to keep this more than a year or two...unless she still loves it for her 50 mile/day commute(2-4 days a week) and we get used to driving a vehicle that cost us $23K(vs the $27K ++ sticker). By then, maybe Acura will have their sub-compact ute and the Volvo XC40 might hit our shores.

We shall see how good that 4yr/48K mile warranty is.(Hope not )

Told you we are scratching our heads . Guess I'll be driving the Volvo C70 more and more!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced

WOW. That is a big difference from the RDX. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by computer_man
WOW. That is a big difference from the RDX. Good luck with your purchase.
Quite the difference! But, that's what we wanted...smaller footprint, fairly tall seating position, decent room, better mpg. I considered all the bells and whistle models from the CRV to the CX5 and even smaller; but it was much easier spending $23K vs the $30K ++ for the others. Had the Volvo XC40 been here with the 250hp engine, I would be all over it. Will certainly consider the Acura entry into the tiny ute race IF it has better than average power.

One of the quirks is the key...It HAS a key
We've had keyless, no button pushing entry and keyless start for at least the last six vehicles. I actually have to insert the key into the ignition and TURN IT !!! Talk about RETRO !!!