Who hates new gear shifter buttons??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who hates new gear shifter buttons??

I started a petition. i know it's probably will not help but let's try anyway

Petition Bring Back Gear Shifter Stick to Acura!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Though I don't have that feature,I think I'd like it.Console looks better with it.I'd prefer the buttons over the dial in the Jag and RR Evoque.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
Though I don't have that feature,I think I'd like it.Console looks better with it.I'd prefer the buttons over the dial in the Jag and RR Evoque.
I agree, I prefer buttons over the stupid dial any day of the week. But I VASTLY prefer a traditional shifter over any of these fancy gizmos.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Hey.......Chrysler had them in the 50's and 60's. Eventually everything comes back in style.
Attached Thumbnails Who hates new gear shifter buttons??-images.jpeg   Who hates new gear shifter buttons??-64-chry-tranny-buttons.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rosen39
Hey.......Chrysler had them in the 50's and 60's. Eventually everything comes back in style.
How neat is it that they had this tech WAY BACK
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have it in my MDX, it doesn't bother me.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:07 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
How neat is it that they had this tech WAY BACK
I used tinting the same thing, but it's not really all that complicated...

Just have the button operate an electronic switch that pulls the transmission cable into that gear...

But I think it's tacky, who drives an RDX to feel like they're in a spaceship or somthing...

It's just weird really...
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Enlighten those of us with the older models...what buttons are you talking about?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by markAZ
Enlighten those of us with the older models...what buttons are you talking about?
He is stating that if Acura puts the 9 speed in the next generation rdx, they are also very likely to also install the button shifter. So he's saying that it would feel stupid to be pressing buttons in an rdx to change gears.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
Enlighten those with newer models too.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Enlighten those with newer models too.
I attempted to enlighten you all. Please let me know if you have now been enlightened
Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I am enlightened,but I really don't care,buttons,knobs,shift lever.Meh!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I attempted to enlighten you all. Please let me know if you have now been enlightened
The OP is assuming that the push button is coming to the RDX. He phrased his post as if it was a done deal.

Quite frankly, with the FCA/Jeep shifter issues, I'd suspect that manufacturers are scrambling to figure out what their next idiot proof shifter will be.

If this post had been posted in the MDX forum then it would have made sense. Here it doesn't. In addition, the "petition" is a poorly written rant that makes the poster sound like an imbecile troll. "fan's"? c'mon. Is it really that hard to write a grammatically correct sentence? This "petition" isn't some random internet forum post where you type stuff and don't worry about grammar, but it is a document that should be written to convince someone to do something. This "petition" convinces me that the OP is a troll.

Last edited by ceb; 07-04-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
The OP is assuming that the push button is coming to the RDX. He phrased his post as if it was a done deal.

Quite frankly, with the FCA/Jeep shifter issues, I'd suspect that manufacturers are scrambling to figure out what their next idiot proof shifter will be.

If this post had been posted in the MDX forum then it would have made sense. Here it doesn't. In addition, the "petition" is a poorly written rant that makes the poster sound like an imbecile troll. "fan's"? c'mon. Is it really that hard to write a grammatically correct sentence? This "petition" isn't some random internet forum post where you type stuff and don't worry about grammar, but it is a document that should be written to convince someone to do something. This "petition" convinces me that the OP is a troll.
To be honest, I never read the petition. The latest Acura products are not at the top of enthusiasts lists and therefore VERY few people who own Acura's even frequent the forum. I would say that 90% of the members on here own older generations if Acura products as it is. So with that point being said, even if every single member on this forum were to sign the "petition", it is like a piece of gravel thrown into a lake, practically zero effect.

I don't see Acura installing the 9-speed in the rdx myself. I think they will either keep the 6-speed or install one of their new dual clutch transmissions. The 9-speed has been somewhat of a nightmare across multiple brands with every possible failure occurring from valve bodies to sensors to...etc. I think Honda only used it because it was available asap and gave them a leap forward.

So with that being said, I agree that the buttons are probably going to be out and normal shifter returned. There are currentky pictures of the refresh grand cherokee interior circling around and it no longer has a funny shifter. Oh and to note, I currently have a 2015 dodge charger rental and that weird partial electronic partial normal shifter is awful and I always have to double check it is in park because it doesn't guve much feed back.

Oh and one last thing, judging by OP's grammar even in this post, I highly doubt english is his first language.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

To be honest, I never read the petition. The latest Acura products are not at the top of enthusiasts lists and therefore VERY few people who own Acura's even frequent the forum. I would say that 90% of the members on here own older generations if Acura products as it is. So with that point being said, even if every single member on this forum were to sign the "petition", it is like a piece of gravel thrown into a lake, practically zero effect.

I don't see Acura installing the 9-speed in the rdx myself. I think they will either keep the 6-speed or install one of their new dual clutch transmissions. The 9-speed has been somewhat of a nightmare across multiple brands with every possible failure occurring from valve bodies to sensors to...etc. I think Honda only used it because it was available asap and gave them a leap forward.

So with that being said, I agree that the buttons are probably going to be out and normal shifter returned. There are currentky pictures of the refresh grand cherokee interior circling around and it no longer has a funny shifter. Oh and to note, I currently have a 2015 dodge charger rental and that weird partial electronic partial normal shifter is awful and I always have to double check it is in park because it doesn't guve much feed back.

Oh and one last thing, judging by OP's grammar even in this post, I highly doubt english is his first language.
There is a difference between having English as your first language and being to write a coherent "petition". This "thing" doesn't make sense. Here it is with my comments in bold:"The new gear selector buttons are just awful, Where is the proper intro?it's confusing true, it's no longer ergonomic What?, super uncomfortable,What x2? my hand kept sliding out of hand rest What hand rest?- just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display.Huh? What is wrong with Acura designers?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would they do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it!!Newsflash - people are buying Acura Please bring the shifter stick BACK!!! Even if ESL, most languages capitalize AFTER punctuation. you are making us (fan's on Acura) leave to another brands." What is the deal with "fan's"? and the plural of brands?

If I were writing a petition in Chinese then I would find someone who spoke Chinese to write it. The problem here is that the OP seems unable to properly form thoughts in any language.Maybe it is the internet generation but people need to learn how to formulate a proper complaint.

Last edited by ceb; 07-04-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro

We will soon be returning to "gated" type shifters so the driver will have to think what mode he/she is putting the car into.
Attached Thumbnails Who hates new gear shifter buttons??-images.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Pro

How about the new Audis with the "Park" button built into the shifter. You may sometimes think moving the handle forward is putting the car in "Park", but you will be in "Reverse". Why to they do these things?
Attached Thumbnails Who hates new gear shifter buttons??-images.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
There is a difference between having English as your first language and being to write a coherent "petition". This "thing" doesn't make sense. Here it is with my comments in bold:"The new gear selector buttons are just awful, Where is the proper intro?it's confusing true, it's no longer ergonomic What?, super uncomfortable,What x2? my hand kept sliding out of hand rest What hand rest?- just HORRIBLE! I used my gear shifter as a palm rest to control the central display.Huh? What is wrong with Acura designers?? are they not thinking at all??? Why would they do something that WILL NOT attract new people, BUT WILL REPEL your current clients???? This change can only make people NOT to buy it!!Newsflash - people are buying Acura Please bring the shifter stick BACK!!! Even if ESL, most languages capitalize AFTER punctuation. you are making us (fan's on Acura) leave to another brands." What is the deal with "fan's"? and the plural of brands?

If I were writing a petition in Chinese then I would find someone who spoke Chinese to write it. The problem here is that the OP seems unable to properly form thoughts in any language.Maybe it is the internet generation but people need to learn how to formulate a proper complaint.
I hear you man, and I agree completely.

We will soon be returning to "gated" type shifters so the driver will have to think what mode he/she is putting the car into.
I hope not, I find the straight down shifters to be much classier and smoother in operation.

How about the new Audis with the "Park" button built into the shifter. You may sometimes think moving the handle forward is putting the car in "Park", but you will be in "Reverse". Why to they do these things?
While I like that the shifter is so chunky and gives you something to hold onto rather than buttons or a silly little joy stick. It is so damn counter intuitive to have the reverse be forward and park being a button. Why re-invent the wheel?
Old 07-04-2016, 06:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

...While I like that the shifter is so chunky and gives you something to hold onto rather than buttons or a silly little joy stick. It is so damn counter intuitive to have the reverse be forward and park being a button. Why re-invent the wheel?
True. When the posters on the MDX forum raised this a year or so ago, I had the same comment - why fix something that isn't broken. This was just as there were rumors of the NHTSA investigation into the Jeep shifters. What are the advantages of the "push button" shifters that make them superior and have benefits that far outweigh the requirement for the entire driving population to re-learn how shifters work?

While there may be a technical reason for the change, the only advantage for the driver that I can think of is a bit more real estate and the ability to relocate cup holders and re-shape center consoles.

I believe that the Jeep death will cause the entire industry to re-think the push button/resetting shifter designs.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
True. When the posters on the MDX forum raised this a year or so ago, I had the same comment - why fix something that isn't broken. This was just as there were rumors of the NHTSA investigation into the Jeep shifters. What are the advantages of the "push button" shifters that make them superior and have benefits that far outweigh the requirement for the entire driving population to re-learn how shifters work?

While there may be a technical reason for the change, the only advantage for the driver that I can think of is a bit more real estate and the ability to relocate cup holders and re-shape center consoles.

I believe that the Jeep death will cause the entire industry to re-think the push button/resetting shifter designs.
The only benefit I can see is the freeing of a 1-2x4-5" air space in the front. The cup holders are still in the same spot as they were before in the mdx when it still had the normal shifter. I can understand why Honda put the buttons though, every other luxury brand seems to have some form of interesting shifter and Honda wanted to seem modern.

I just think there was a ton of things they could have otherwise done and left the standard shifter.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:01 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
It's got two signatures finally. So may be Acura will bring the shifter stick back. Oops.... The RDX never lost it. So what's the point. Damn... I just wasted my time.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
It's got two signatures finally. So may be Acura will bring the shifter stick back. Oops.... The RDX never lost it. So what's the point. Damn... I just wasted my time.
no need to be an asshole. you like the buttons? good for you! I hate them and I haaaaate 9 speed tranny. the MDX now drives and feels (with those buttons) like a Lexus RX350 - women's car. Only Lexus understood that they made a mistake and trying soooo hard now to change it and attract "the man" back to it. Acura should've learn something from it.

p.s. Too many bullies here
Old 07-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^oh the irony.....
but you blast women... GTFOH
Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 AM

what a fucking douche bag.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
what a fucking douche bag.
thank you for proving my point about people in this forum
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by bell2
thank you for proving my point about people in this forum
you started it with the comment about women.
you need to take a long look in the mirror, sir.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I believe the Jeep issue is the set up is tricky.People think they put the Jeep in Park but that wasn't the case in some instances.One instance killing the actor..A shifter or button that says Park is easy vs the tricky set ups in a Jeep,Benz,BMW and others..
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by bell2
no need to be an asshole. you like the buttons? good for you! I hate them and I haaaaate 9 speed tranny. the MDX now drives and feels (with those buttons) like a Lexus RX350 - women's car. Only Lexus understood that they made a mistake and trying soooo hard now to change it and attract "the man" back to it. Acura should've learn something from it.
p.s. Too many bullies here
If you haven't got it yet. .... There isn't anyone bullying you here. The "rant" like petition would provoke only light hearted responses. If you are serious about the petition, then write a new one in a more mature way. BTW, I haven't even driven the MDX with button shifter, so don't know how I feel about it. For now I would prefer a stick shifter too.
There was some study published a while ago which stated that in future more and more women would make car buying decisions in household.
No wonder the automakers are looking in that direction.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM

also, last time i checked, vehicles are unisex...
Old 07-05-2016, 09:31 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by justnspace
also, last time i checked, vehicles are unisex...
Ha ha. That's true, but the women are the targets for automakers. So they try to advertise it as feminine / family / comfortable (or wild and messy ).... Whatever works for them.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM

dunno about ya'll but I like pretty designs.
glad we got away from the spartan "man" interiors of the '90s
Old 07-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Null and proud of it

What about this?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
What about that?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by TacoBello
What about that?
Would it be weird if the MDX and RDX go to a column type shifter? I sat in a 2003 Honda Pilot a little while ago, love that column shifter...

Clears up console space, and easy to use...
Old 07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
What about this?
That would be a chick Magnet for sure. Ha ha.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Would it be weird if the MDX and RDX go to a column type shifter? I sat in a 2003 Honda Pilot a little while ago, love that column shifter...

Clears up console space, and easy to use...
Yes it would. I hate column mounted shifters with a passion, so much so that I automatically cut a car off my list if it has that. A long time ago I almost bought a pilot, when I seen where the shifter was I walked away.
The following users liked this post:
SirJOW (07-16-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Not gonna lie, RDX10, but that is an absolutely retarded reason for not buying a car
Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Not gonna lie, RDX10, but that is an absolutely retarded reason for not buying a car
I know it is, I agree. But on the other hand, besides some pickups and mercedes models, almost nobody uses a column mounted shifter so it doesn't really limit me at all. It is just one of those things I can't stand.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I know it is, I agree. But on the other hand, besides some pickups and mercedes models, almost nobody uses a column mounted shifter so it doesn't really limit me at all. It is just one of those things I can't stand.
I prefer floor mounted shift lever too but Mercedes cars have that column shifter executed very nicely.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
I prefer floor mounted shift lever too but Mercedes cars have that column shifter executed very nicely.
Had a 2015/2016 Mercedes e400 loaner for a few days and I could not get used to the shifter no matter how hard I tried. I hated it.

Quick Reply: Who hates new gear shifter buttons??