WeatherTech Cargo Mat

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
WeatherTech Cargo Mat

Ordered the WeatherTech Trim-to-Fit Universal Cargo Mat from Amazon, and it arrived today (Saturday delivery, no less!). Shipping was free, but I had to pay Texas sales tax, so the total came to $60 and a few cents. MUCH less than the Acura mat, and it isn't black!

The color is what they call "tan", and while it's not an exact match to my Parchment, it's a lot better IMO than a stark black mat.

As the name implies, it is a cut-to-fit mat, so you have to go Scissorhands on it. I used the cardboard box it came in to make a template, which I then traced onto the mat and cut it with some heavy-duty scissors. It took a little adjusting and trimming, but I finally got it like I want it. And a little "Goof-Off" took care of the black marker ink I got on it.

Here's the finished product:

I think it looks nice and it covers the whole cargo area. The mat is made of pretty heavy, thick rubber, and it lays down nicely with no curl or or other misbehavior. And the nubs on the back side keep it from wandering around. It ain't going nowhere!

I can give this mat a thumbs up and my recommendation. Just know that you'll have to trim it yourself.

Last edited by Mike_TX; 03-16-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They don't measure and cut it for you?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

The original post is the universal cut to fit liner. They also make a very nice custom fit cargo liner for the RDX. It does cost a bit more, but fits perfectly.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Nice job of trimming and photography . I went even cheaper and hit the 'bay for a generic tan mat for about half that price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trimmable-Vinyl-Trunk-Liner-Cargo-Mat-Black-/251043825778?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7360c872&vxp=mtr
Rather than trim to fit flat with the seatbacks up, I left the 'excess' to roll up on the sides and extend over the junction of the seatbacks and floor(I have my cargo area flat 90% of the time).

I expected some nasty off-gassing with such an inexpensive product; but the cargo mat barely had any 'new car' smell at all.

Just another option if you're looking to save $ or maybe want a beater mat for yucky cargo.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Nice job of trimming and photography . I went even cheaper and hit the 'bay for a generic tan mat for about half that price.
Trimmable Vinyl Trunk Liner Cargo Mat Black | eBay

Rather than trim to fit flat with the seatbacks up, I left the 'excess' to roll up on the sides and extend over the junction of the seatbacks and floor(I have my cargo area flat 90% of the time).

I expected some nasty off-gassing with such an inexpensive product; but the cargo mat barely had any 'new car' smell at all.

Just another option if you're looking to save $ or maybe want a beater mat for yucky cargo.
Hmmm .... I didn't see that one. It looks like it comes only in black and grey, though, and I wanted a tan color to better match my Parchment interior.

Good find, though!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Instructor

http://www.weathertech.ca/acura/2013/rdx/cargo-liner/

They have a tan colour here - if it's the same tan as the digital fit floor liners, it's almost a perfect match.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by MSU Spartan

They don't measure and cut it for you?

The original post is the universal cut to fit liner. They also make a very nice custom fit cargo liner for the RDX. It does cost a bit more, but fits perfectly.
The fitted mat is $119, and I found the cut-to-fit one for $55 on Amazon with free shipping. I cheaped out and went for the $55 one.

The fitted one has some benefits, like the raised "rim" around the perimeter, but I don't plan to have sloppy wet stuff inside my RDX anyway. All WeatherTech stuff is heavy-duty, though, so I knew the cheaper one would more than get the job done for me.

Cutting it to fit wasn't a big deal - I probably spent 30 or 40 minutes getting it like I wanted it, including making the template. And I'm fussy with things like this.

Now when I toss a couple bags of fertilizer or some luggage in the back I won't worry about messing up the stock liner.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by QN52
http://www.weathertech.ca/acura/2013/rdx/cargo-liner/

They have a tan colour here - if it's the same tan as the digital fit floor liners, it's almost a perfect match.
Yep, that's the fitted one. I'm told the color of the one I got is the same as the fitted one.

The picture above doesn't show the colors perfectly, and there is a small difference in color between what they call "tan" and what Acura calls "Parchment". Not enough to bother me, though. And I doubt anyone except maybe Acura makes a mat that matches any better.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Hmmm .... I didn't see that one. It looks like it comes only in black and grey, though, and I wanted a tan color to better match my Parchment interior.

Good find, though!
I'm pretty sure this is the model that WAS available in tan a few months ago. 'My' tan is a pretty good match like yours.

For those looking for a truly generic mat, Home Depot had some black mats similar to a steroid infused tool chest liner. Free-standing display called them 'cargo liners' and they looked pretty stout. Marketing guy that I was, I'd suggest they have a swatch attached to the display, so folks could feel the texture and weight. A bit of an odd item for HD, so look for in on sale or clearance soon .
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM
AcurAdmirer

I discovered today just how "sticky" the Weathertech mat is. We took a big birthday cake across town for a kid's birthday party ... it was in the usual thin white cardboard cake box, and if it had been sitting on the OEM mouse fur cargo surface, it would have slid around and crashed into the sides of the cargo area as I veered around construction sites and turned corners. But no - it was as if the mat had super glue on it. In fact, it wouldn't even slide enough to get it out easily - I had to pick it up to move it laterally.

I was amazed and pleased. I think Weathertech has embedded some nano suction cups in the rubber or something, but I really approve. Good job, Weathertech!