Tire Rotation Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Tire Rotation Question...

How can I perform a tire rotation? Do I jack up the driver's side (or passenger's) and simply switch the tires? Is there a jack point for the hydraulic jack? I know of the two jack points for the jack stands (one behind the front wheel and one in front of the rear wheel)...

Is there also a specific PSI the tires should be at?

Sorry for the noob questions...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Tire rotation can be beneficial in several ways. When done at the recommended times, it can preserve balanced handling and traction and even out tire wear. Tire rotation can even provide performance advantages.
Many tire mileage warranties require tire rotation to keep the warranty valid. When should tires be rotated? We recommend that tires be rotated every 3,000 to 5,000 miles even if they don't show signs of wear. Tire rotation can often be done with oil change intervals while the vehicle is off the ground. This can also be a good time to have your tires rebalanced. It's also a good time to inspect the tires for any damage, remove stones or debris from the tire treads, check for uneven wear by checking the tire tread depth and of course, checking your tire pressure.
Tire rotation helps even out tire wear by allowing each tire to serve in as many of the vehicle’s wheel positions as possible. Remember, tire rotation can’t correct wear problems due to worn mechanical parts or incorrect inflation pressures.
While vehicles are typically equipped with four tires, usually the tires on the front axle need to accomplish very different tasks than the tires on the rear axle. The tasks encountered on a front-wheel drive vehicle are considerably different than those of a rear-wheel drive vehicle. Tire wear experienced on a performance vehicle will usually be more severe than that of a family sedan. Each wheel position can cause different wear rates and different types of tire wear.
It is an advantage when all four tires wear together because as wear reduces a tire’s tread depth, it allows all four tires to respond to the driver’s input more quickly, maintains the handling and helps increase the tire’s cornering traction.
When your tires wear out together, you can get a new set of tires without being forced to buy pairs. If you replace tires in sets of four, you will maintain the original handling balance. In addition, our suppliers constantly introduce new tires, each of which improves upon their past product’s performance. If you replace your tires in sets of four, it allows you to experience today’s technology, instead of being forced to match yesterday’s.

Four (4) Tire Rotation

What tire rotation pattern should be followed? The Tire & Rim Association has identified three traditional rotation patterns covering most vehicles (equipped with non-directional tires and wheels which are the same size and offset). The first being the "Rearward Cross" (Figure A); the second being the "Forward Cross" (Figure C); and the third is the "X-Pattern" (Figure B). The X-Pattern can be used as an alternative to A or C.

Tire pressure is indicated on the placard inside your drivers door.
usually 32-34psi

and you can use any jacking point you wish.
the sides by the tires, or the front/rear jacking point

Last edited by justnspace; 05-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dajonx (05-21-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Thank you for the information!

Oh shoot... I didn't know there was an "X" in the process. It makes sense though...

So in order to do this, I basically need to put all four tires in the air, huh? Rats...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by dajonx
Thank you for the information!

Oh shoot... I didn't know there was an "X" in the process. It makes sense though...

So in order to do this, I basically need to put all four tires in the air, huh? Rats...
No - you can do it without a lift even if you don't have a shop jack. Just use the emergency jack that came with the car if you must, although I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know what rotation pattern Acura recommends, but let's assume it's the rearward cross. Start by removing the driver side front (DF) wheel and replace it with the spare tire assembly. Replace the passenger rear (PR) with the DF. Move the PR to the PF, then the PF to DR. Finish by removing the spare and installing the DR on the DF. A jack stand can be used in lieu of the spare to save time. Snug the lugs before you drop the vehicle, then hand torque to the appropriate rating. Re-torque after driving about 50 miles. Some recommend anti-seize compound on the hubs to prevent sticking. It's also a good time to check the pressure of the spare - something most people don't remember to do. Make sure you chock your wheels and engage the parking brake.

Last edited by HotRodW; 05-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
dajonx (05-21-2013), weather (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
The manual calls for the "Forward Cross" method shown above.

There is a lot of disagreement on the proper way to rotate - even among tire manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer just does a front-to-rear swap.

By the way, OP - if there's a Discount Tire store anywhere near you, go there. They rotate tires for free.
dajonx (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Ahh, that's a good idea using the spare!

No, there's no Discount Tire stores around me...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Dajonx - your avatar looks like a penis at first glance, lol
dajonx (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
Hahaha!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
^^ Not just at first glance!! *lol* And a hairy one at that too I might add.
dajonx (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Not just at first glance!! *lol* And a hairy one at that too I might add.
Hahaha!