Should I buy the 2017 RDX Elite?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I buy the 2017 RDX Elite?

Greetings. Been lurking around here for info and now I've test driven the 17 RDX elite twice and here's my impression.

- Smooth V6 which Honda is known for but not a lot of torque at the low end
- 6 speed tranny is adequate, comparing to my BMW 328 with DCT, it's very noticeably slower and you can feel the gear shift
- Somewhat boat like handling, it doesn't cut corners sharp but as a CUV/SUV, it's OK as a getting around car
- Very good driver assist package (the #1 reason we are considering the RDX as I couldn't live without the blind spot, rear cross traffic alert thingy now).
- Very good price, I've priced out similar Lexus NX and 2017 Audi A4, and those could be $10K more than the RDX

I think it is very likely that I would buy the 2017 RDX Elite based on what it offers for the price. A top end CRV or Rav 4 will only be about $8K less so I think the RDX is the better buy from a price/performance aspect. However, the RDX is neither fish nor fowl by being not overtly luxurious nor exciting to drive.

When I was cross shopping this time, I quickly eliminated the NX but struggled with either paying more for the 2017 Audi A4 or less for the RDX. But I am leaning towards the RDX now as I don't want to be conscious that I'm driving an new Audi albeit a cheaper A4 in the Audi family. Please tell me I'm making the right decision with the RDX Elite.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
What is it that you want - an SUV or a sedan? The a4 is a sedan the last time I looked. I also didn't know that the 328 had a dual clutch transmission. AFAIK, only the M's have the DCT.

Once you've decided that, then you need to prioritize your wants:

Is handling more important than features?
Is price more important than features and handling
etc.

The RDX is excellent value for the money. It is a competent performer with good reliability.

One question you may want to ask yourself is "what did I like/not like about the BMW?"

Oh, and Welcome
Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
What is it that you want - an SUV or a sedan? The a4 is a sedan the last time I looked. I also didn't know that the 328 had a dual clutch transmission. AFAIK, only the M's have the DCT.

Once you've decided that, then you need to prioritize your wants:

Is handling more important than features?
Is price more important than features and handling
etc.

The RDX is excellent value for the money. It is a competent performer with good reliability.

One question you may want to ask yourself is "what did I like/not like about the BMW?"

Oh, and Welcome
The BMW F30 3 series since 2103 has DCT which is silky smooth but the thing I didn't like about it is the 4 cylinder turbo. It was OK at the beginning but at 60K KM is already sounding harsh to me. This time around, I just want a functional and reliable car that I can drive and forget. I decided not to buy out the 328 at lease end just because psychologically German cars are high maintenance even when my 328 has given me 4 years of trouble free driving. The 328 driving dynamic will be hard to beat, even the new Audi A4 doesn't measure up to it. But I'm ready to give it up as most of my driving is during rush hour stop and go traffic. And between juggling jobs and family at this stage of my life, I just want a reliable car that is excellent value for my money.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 RDX Elite...and yah, it is loaded loaded loaded. The V6 is an absolute beauty - mind you, i'm still breaking her in - but i'm coming from a 2013 RDX which had the same engine pretty much.

The jewel eye headlights are extremely white and bright and definitely out perform regular HIDs. The infotainment system is a bit weak but once you're accustomed to it, you wont even think about it.

I would suggest taking one for an 'extended' test drive.. AWAY from the dealer-led path. so you have a clear idea of the suspension.

as for the technologies found in the elite, there's so much packed in there .. so far the only things that I really appreciate is the parking sensors integrated with the rear camera.

still no android auto/apple car play but SIRI eyes free is well integrated.

Should I buy the 2017 RDX Elite?-igvir1l.jpg
Should I buy the 2017 RDX Elite?-t0yorp5.jpg
Old 08-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Acura604
as for the technologies found in the elite, there's so much packed in there .. so far the only things that I really appreciate is the parking sensors integrated with the rear camera.

still no android auto/apple car play but SIRI eyes free is well integrated.
Was thinking of getting just mid trim Tech but the Elite is only $1.5K more with the parking sensors and better rims so Elite makes more sense to us. Funny, I'm thinking about getting the white RDX as well but in the Great White North, it's hopeless to try to keep it clean from snow and slush.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have it and like it. Good value for the money. Has all the features I want. I did look at the CRV Touring, but the lease payment for the RDX Elite was only $60 more a month. It was a no brainer for me, especially when I test drove the CRV. Not bad, but no RDX.

Personally, no German cars for me unless it is only leased for 3-4 years. I demand reliability and reasonable repair costs.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Based on my experience so far(4mths 11k miles) I would not buy another Acura product. Lots of issues that took multiple trips to get taken care of. I think QC at the factory is severely lacking. I would go for a QX50 if I could go back and do it again.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Based on my experience so far(4mths 11k miles) I would not buy another Acura product. Lots of issues that took multiple trips to get taken care of. I think QC at the factory is severely lacking. I would go for a QX50 if I could go back and do it again.
Just as the OP had 4 years of trouble free BMW driving, I had a BMW that went through high pressure fuel pumps like mad - which soured me on BMW in the US.

Your experience with the Acura hasn't been stellar but it also hasn't left you stranded in the middle of a busy intersection like my BMW - but yes, your RDX hasn't been the best - but it also isn't the norm.

I fully agree with the extended test drive (of any car) and then a drive in the exact car you are considering prior to signing on the dotted line.