Service cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Chocolate cookies?!?! Mmmm, almost makes me want to drive to Utah to get my oil change *lmao*
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You would if you could guarantee bright and sunny days to and from!!!

lol
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys go to honda or acura for service? Would anyone know if there is a price difference between the two?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Chocolate cookies?!?! Mmmm, almost makes me want to drive to Utah to get my oil change *lmao*
Yeah! I have been thinking up reasons to return to the service dept.

Jim
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
nykcrs-depends on the area. around me the honda dealers and the acura dealers labor rate differs maybe $20/hour. other areas might have a larger difference.

personally i go to my acura dealer (and it's out of the way). i've always been treated extremely well, get loaners when i need them, and for me, i don't mind paying a little extra for that warm and fuzzy "family" welcome when many at the dealer know me by name.

a honda dealer can manage most maintenance items at a lesser cost. warranty stuff...go to the dealer (of course).

it's a matter of your comfort level and what it's worth to you. there will be others that will say wrench on your own car and save some money. yeah, i get that, but my time is more valuable, so i pay out the nose 'cause it's worth it to me.

find a place you trust to not mess up the car and be honest with you...i don't like leaving the car at the dealer, but in some instances i don't have much choice.
The following users liked this post:
Jrvtecaccord (08-29-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Yeah! I have been thinking up reasons to return to the service dept.

Jim
how long those cookies been sitting out?

i don't eat the crappy junk that my dealer puts out in the waiting area. my SA always teases me about it too.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Party pooper!
More cookies for me!

Wait, no. Your hubby did say something that stuck. "Bad training gets you a bad race."

On second thought, pass on the cookies.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Sose
Party pooper!
More cookies for me!

Wait, no. Your hubby did say something that stuck. "Bad training gets you a bad race."

On second thought, pass on the cookies.
hubby...not quite, but close. your first oil change (which will probably be at the 1 yr mark at the rate you're going) is free at the dealer you purchased from BTW.

you better get going on your own training...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
hubby...not quite, but close. your first oil change (which will probably be at the 1 yr mark at the rate you're going) is free at the dealer you purchased from BTW.

you better get going on your own training...
At the risk of going off-topic, I'm getting back on track. My buddy pushed me out the door for a 40mi bike ride on Sunday and I intend to keep that going. Your Honda-driving friend's () words struck a good chord in me. Thank him for me, will ya?

Oh and, yes... it'd likely be a year before my first oil change. As of this morning, I'm at 350miles - in two.five weeks.

I'll still pass on the cookies.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Racer

how long those cookies been sitting out?

i don't eat the crappy junk that my dealer puts out in the waiting area. my SA always teases me about it too.
Actually, they are in one of those little glass enclosed heaters. The coffee is from one of those machines that grind the beans and brew a single cup. Starbucks no less.

Anyway, the service was excellent and the oil changes are free as long as I own the car.

I agree with you about using Acura dealers for service. I have used Honda service when Acura service was 150 miles away and they are fully competent for routine service. But, my experience with Acura service has always been excellent and the difference in price has not been excessive.

Regards, Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

much more fancy snacks and coffee^^ nice. we have one of those starbucks grind and brew machines at my office. they also have the otis spunkmeyer cookie oven too...the smell is yummy....the cookies are too but are serious calorie bombs.

my dealer, used to give fresh dunkin donuts, but then opted to go for the even more processed prepackaged pastries . they have the fresh brew coffee machine too, but it's not starbucks. add in the variety of sodas they offer too. guess we can't have it all. smoothie bar would be nice

but back on topic...which some of this is...you pay for what you get when it comes to service. basically, know what to ask for, make nice nice with the service guys, and maybe, just maybe they'll be nice to you when it comes to the bill. oh, and look for the coupons on the dealer website. every little bit helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Racer

but back on topic...which some of this is...you pay for what you get when it comes to service. basically, know what to ask for, make nice nice with the service guys, and maybe, just maybe they'll be nice to you when it comes to the bill. oh, and look for the coupons on the dealer website. every little bit helps.
I don't think making nice nice with the service guys would help me. Maybe making nice nice with the service gals?

Regards, Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^ ok...works for me though.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ ok...works for me though.
9 out of 10 guys are checking you out and the 10th guy is checking out the other 9 guys

End of May I'll need my first service. I'm going to tell them to stick to the Acura factory service list, not interested in any extras as a lessor of the vehicle.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fleuger99
9 out of 10 guys are checking you out and the 10th guy is checking out the other 9 guys

End of May I'll need my first service. I'm going to tell them to stick to the Acura factory service list, not interested in any extras as a lessor of the vehicle.
How many miles do you have on your car? And what percentage is your oil life at?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

apparently, i'm oblivious to this. then again my old SA, who is now a friend, always makes flattering comments to me (and he's married). it's not like i'm dressed in anyway to draw attention to myself.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sose
How many miles do you have on your car? And what percentage is your oil life at?
I'm just shy of 6K miles and oil percentage is at 40%. My commute to work is 96 miles round trip and I drive it 4 days a week during winter. It is 90% highway and 10% backroads.

I say winter because now the temps are above 32F I'll be splitting half the commute week on my motorcycle. Saves mileage on the RDX and I get 50mpg on my bike, not to mention enjoying the ride to work.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radley has always been known for screwing people over thats why we only go their to get stuff done to our TL thats under warranty and i rather go to Honda to get oil changes
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLBoi22
Radley has always been known for screwing people over thats why we only go their to get stuff done to our TL thats under warranty and i rather go to Honda to get oil changes
Have you heard anything about Pohanka?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ That is the dealer that TLtrigirl takes her Acura's and she seems to be saying amazing good stuff about them. She is pretty picky (as I am too - no offense intended TLtrigirl) so if she has great trust and confidence in them, I would too I'd consider driving my babies there just on her good experience and her credibility here. Mind you, lets all keep in mind that dealer experience is a TWO way street....you can't expect to walk into a dealership, treat the people like crap and expect to be treated as a king....regardless of this "customer is always right bull crap". But overall, treat your service people well, understand their limitations and the fact they don't build or design the cars and they should treat you well in return, if not, then they are morons and then you should take your business elsewhere.

From my interactions with TLtrigirl, I would say that she is a reliable source and would think there is a reason she would take her vehicle to Pohanka Acura
clawber (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Yea Pohanka is good but Radley has seemed to give me a better deal on a vehicle purchase which is why I thought Radley would be good for service too.

I will try Pohanka next time
clawber (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clawber
Pohanka Acura have good ratings online, you can give them a try if you live in the Northern Va area and also Criswell Acura have good ratings
clawber (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by clawber
dealerrater has glowing marks on them. on a more personal note, i've been going to pohanka for years now and have always been treated well (sales and service side). and no, i have no affiliation to the dealership other than being a customer there. you will read the few bad experiences that people have vented about, but those instances seem to be more the exception than the norm (and they occurred over 5+ yrs ago, when things may have been a little eh...but it seems they have weeded out the folks that don't give a hoot about the quality of the work). overall, they will not play games with you and if you know what is needed for your car prior to going in for service, then you won't be "upsold" on the additional services. you need to be smart about how you say things to the service advisor. i've had a nice working relationship with several SAs over the years and they have always taken care of me and my car when it's there. and as a female, i have NEVER been taken advantage of in terms of getting pushed into other services. i know better, and they know this about me.

^^ That is the dealer that TLtrigirl takes her Acura's and she seems to be saying amazing good stuff about them. She is pretty picky (as I am too - no offense intended TLtrigirl) so if she has great trust and confidence in them, I would too I'd consider driving my babies there just on her good experience and her credibility here. Mind you, lets all keep in mind that dealer experience is a TWO way street....you can't expect to walk into a dealership, treat the people like crap and expect to be treated as a king....regardless of this "customer is always right bull crap". But overall, treat your service people well, understand their limitations and the fact they don't build or design the cars and they should treat you well in return, if not, then they are morons and then you should take your business elsewhere.

From my interactions with TLtrigirl, I would say that she is a reliable source and would think there is a reason she would take her vehicle to Pohanka Acura
no offense taken weather. it's actually a compliment. i trust few people with my cars. i refuse to go to big box shops b/c of prior BAD experiences. there are a few places i take my cars, the dealer, a local tuner shop, my brother, or perhaps another trusted enthusiast. my TL is my baby and i'm extremely particular about who handles that car. and yes, weather is correct, it is a two way street. if you show them some respect and work with them, they'll treat you the same way. act like an ass, then don't expect them to really want to go out of their way to help you out if something goes awry with your car.

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
Yea Pohanka is good but Radley has seemed to give me a better deal on a vehicle purchase which is why I thought Radley would be good for service too.

I will try Pohanka next time
i've had horrible sales experiences at radley and i have heard other stories similar to mine from people that have either attempted to purchase or have purchased cars from radley. it just reflects upon their service dept (again, reading some of the shady stories from others) which turns me off. there are a few members on here that will attest to radley's good side of the service dept, but i personally (despite being closer in proximity to me) i WILL NOT take my car to radley or have anything to do with them b/c of these bad experiences.

Originally Posted by TLBoi22
Pohanka Acura have good ratings online, you can give them a try if you live in the Northern Va area and also Criswell Acura have good ratings
clawber (05-08-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have my Lexus LX serviced at the Toyota dealership across the street from the Lexus dealership. Less then half the price the Lexus dealer charges, plus they use Lexus certified techs to do the work. But the Lexus LX is just a deluxe Landcruiser. My Acura dealer gives me free car washes anytime I want one. Tried it out one Saturday morning, took about 30 minutes and got free donuts and coffee while I waited. They were very nice and said comeback anytime. I get my first service free and the normal service with tire rotation is $59 out the door. This is Findley Acura in Henderson Nevada.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Most importantly, how were the Donuts? *lol*
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
^^ Most importantly, how were the Donuts? *lol*
Fresh dunkin donuts
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I had my oil & filter changed today. $61 taxes in and with full synthetic oil.
Less expensive than the Ford dealer across the street where I bought my Mustang.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Instructor

I just scheduled my first service for Sat june 8th. I'm at 7861 miles and 20% oil reading. I also asked them to check my rotors due to the heavy vibration when braking at 70Mph our higher. They said they'd take a look.

Should I suggest they only perform the factory recommended service to keep the costs down from uneccesary extras?

Tomorrow I'm taking my BMW R1200R bike in for its 12K mile service, which is the BIG one. I was told it would be in the high $600's
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

it'll probably code A1...ask for an oil change and tire rotation, that's all it really is. they will usually do a courtesy inspection anyway.
fleuger99 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Should I suggest they only perform the factory recommended service to keep the costs down from uneccesary extras?
I'd go with TLtrigirl's suggestion.

Last edited by hand-filer; 05-29-2013 at 08:18 PM.
fleuger99 (05-29-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is shady. If the "dealer" that made the promise now refuses to honor the promise, I would take it to the manager. And if they do not honor the promise of free oil change, let the know that you will make a complaint to the better business bureau.
As well, I am told that Turbo engine requires synthetic... Not what I'm reading on this forum. I am beginning to like my dealer/ service station less & less.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the 1G RDX requires synthetic. the 2G RDX, most likely uses a semi synthetic (ie dino) anyway if you go to the dealer while there will be some that will opt to go with full synthetic.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Destynee
Just a question, when you say "Radley Acura in Fairfax, VA" are you referring to the one in Falls Church? I Just bought a 2013 RDX and one of the selling points for me on the car was the fact that I will no longer have to pay the $50 each time I take it in for an oil change because it no longer requires the synthetic oil since the new model does not have the turbo. I had a 2011 RDX and hated that I had to pay for the synthetic oil each time I took it in (I got them to also throw in the "free oil change" when I bought that car BUT had to pay for the synthetic oil). I take it to the Radley Acura off of Columbia Pike in Falls Church and they are great (Ask for Jimmy or the Greek guy --I forget his name! The night manager, Jose is also great), I also took it to the Karen Radley shop in Woodbridge and got an even lower rate for the synthetic oil.

But again, with the 2013, you should not have to continue to pay for the synthetic oil.
Now, this interest me as I live not far from Radley Acura in Columbia Pike. You said you paid a lower price... how much is it? I am at 25% of the oil life (it would be the first oil change).
Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't buy my car from Radley but they did offer me a free oil change. Subsequent changes cost $83.35. Radley claims that the 0W20 that the RDX requires is a "synthetic blend" and they charge synthetic prices for it.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Just did my 1st change the other day. Valvoline Synpower was about 30, Royal Purple Filter about 13 on Amazon. No dealer hassle, better parts/fluid, half the cost at least, and its easy to do.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ericok
I didn't buy my car from Radley but they did offer me a free oil change. Subsequent changes cost $83.35. Radley claims that the 0W20 that the RDX requires is a "synthetic blend" and they charge synthetic prices for it.
wow...all the more reason to stay away from them. what a bunch of crap.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitbull11
I have my Lexus LX serviced at the Toyota dealership across the street from the Lexus dealership. Less then half the price the Lexus dealer charges, plus they use Lexus certified techs to do the work. But the Lexus LX is just a deluxe Landcruiser. My Acura dealer gives me free car washes anytime I want one. Tried it out one Saturday morning, took about 30 minutes and got free donuts and coffee while I waited. They were very nice and said comeback anytime. I get my first service free and the normal service with tire rotation is $59 out the door. This is Findley Acura in Henderson Nevada.
There are Honda dealers that give a free wash/vacuum service with free food as well, depends on the dealer, and their service is cheaper $ than Acura and just as good.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why are you guys not buying your own oil and filter and let the dealer do the change. I take my own synthetic oil $22 at walmart and Purolator pure one synthetic filter $5 and the dealer does the work for $14. About $40 bucks and they still wash/vacuum my ride.