Service cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service cost

I wonder how much did you paid for the first RDX service (A1).

My dealer (Radley Acura in Fairfax) offered me 4 years of free oil change when I bought the car. 2 weeks ago I went back for the first A1 service and the service guy told be the free oil change deal is not on paper and directed me to the sale department. After discussing with the sale guy they accepted to give me a free oil change.
Now it comes the strange part. Even with a free oil change they charged me 82$. They said the oil change is free for regular oil but my RDX uses some kind of synthetic oil that's more expensive. I was also charged for tire rotation.
82$ for an A1 service with "free" oil change seems too much for me. Should I change the dealer?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
My A1 service was roughly the same price and was also synthetic oil.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Dedalus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds very shady. If they promise you a free oil change, they should give it to you. It's part of their job to know what type of oil it takes.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Cruisin'

Totally agree on that.
The sale person was telling me that they offered me an "aggressive price" for the car as that had anything to do with the promised free oil change.
The initial price for the A1 service was 125$ and it dropped to 82$ after applying the "free" oil change. 82$ for synthetic oil difference, labor and tire rotation. That's pretty expensive to me.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine was $73 (synthetic oil, filter, tire rotation) and I had a $10 coupon so it was $63 total. It is true that synthetic oil is more expensive but not $15 to $20 a quart. More like $3 a quart. I would go elsewhere for service, or better yet DIY for ~$30 total if circumstances permit. Why fight with the sales/service department every time you want your oil changed for the next 4 years only to get overcharged.

Last edited by Dorsey; 02-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Factory recommended oil is NOT synthetic oil. That is an option. NOT necessary. IF the dealer is "pushing it" that's because they can make a lot of extra money on the oil change....if they can convince the owner it "needs" synthetic. Read the Owner's Manual. Again...synthetic is optional...period.

You can buy synthetic at Auto Parts stores for approx. $10 a quart...maybe less depending on the brand. Acura dealers will mark it WAY up. IF you can find quality synthetic oil for $3 a quart....you better by out the store and set up a "stand" on the corner and mark it up and make some money!! LOL!

My oil changes will be done by my old Honda dealer...accomplished by the one tech that was the only....is the only one to work on my vehicles. My oil change, inspection, etc. will cost less than $30. He will measure brake pad wear, measure tire wear and rotate if I want. All info will be printed out, the Service "book" that came with our vehicles will be annotated, signed, stamped, etc. He has access to Acura's maint. site to find out all applicable info. concerning the '13 RDX also. He will check and top off all fluids too if necessary. Yes, I get a little bit of a discount due to my past association with the dealer, the Serv. Mgr, etc.....but, it would still be under $40 for sure....and they have oil change promotions often. No need to pay Acura prices to do oil changes and checks....if you have a Honda dealer you know close by.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 02-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
AF guy. Read closely, $3 more per quart. 5 qts of mobil 1 0-20W is ~$27 at local wal mart. 5 qts of valvoline dino is around $15. Difference is less than $3 per quart.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I don't do Synthetic either....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd take my business to another dealer. If they promised you something, maybe show them the definition of promise, and don't deliver they are dishonest and I don't do business with anyone dishonest.

Personally, only had my RDX for a month now and I have 1570 miles on it. I'm going to switch to full synthetic after 10K miles. Just my personal preference.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
$125 for an LOFR is absolutely insane. I believe I've paid around $70-75 each for an oil change at Smithtown Acura using the 0W-20 and including a car wash and loaner for the day. I've had a '12 RDX with Tech and a '12 TL SH-AWD. I'm not suggesting $70 for an oil change is cheap but I've been very impressed with the quality of service.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Single Sailor

Originally Posted by mdc26

My dealer (Radley Acura in Fairfax) offered me 4 years of free oil change when I bought the car. 2 weeks ago I went back for the first A1 service and the service guy told be the free oil change deal is not on paper and directed me to the sale department. After discussing with the sale guy they accepted to give me a free oil change.
Now it comes the strange part. Even with a free oil change they charged me 82$. They said the oil change is free for regular oil but my RDX uses some kind of synthetic oil that's more expensive. I was also charged for tire rotation.
82$ for an A1 service with "free" oil change seems too much for me. Should I change the dealer?
I'm really surprised by the fact that the dealer charged you at all. A tire rotation costs the dealer $0.00 to complete. My first service was free of charge as well from the dealer I purchased my RDX from, and they did an oil change with a synthetic blend oil and rotated my tires all for free as they had promised. I would definitely take my business elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
$125 for an LOFR is absolutely insane. I believe I've paid around $70-75 each for an oil change at Smithtown Acura using the 0W-20 and including a car wash and loaner for the day. I've had a '12 RDX with Tech and a '12 TL SH-AWD. I'm not suggesting $70 for an oil change is cheap but I've been very impressed with the quality of service.
I don't recall actual numbers, but I believe I've spent at most $60 or so for A1 service, sometimes less. Like other car makes, Acura typically sends coupons in the mail. Often, I will time the service on my wife's '06 TL before the expiration of the coupon. I like the coupons that include the oil change, tire rotation and multipoint check, and of course car wash. BTW, we've stuck with the standard-issue synthetic blend that the Acura dealer uses.

Incidentally, I'm taking my '06 Ridgeline tomorrow for exactly the same service (oil, tire rotation, checkup) to a local Honda dealer with a $24.88 coupon. Granted, it's normal oil (not synth).
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are there any negative short term effects for using cheap/inexpensive oil? I lease my cars, so I could care less if having a $30 oil change isn't great for the engine in the long term, but would I notice an immediate decrease in performance? My wife and I are leasing VWs currently, so oil changes are free at the dealer. When I leased my '06 RSX-S, I took it to a 10-minute oil change place, which charged around $30. I didn't want to pay >$50 at Acura.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks all for replying. Will take my RDX to a Honda dealer from now on and will use Acura dealers only for fixing warranty problems.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you might want ot double check whether the 2G RDX actually requires synthetic. the 1G RDX did due to the turbo engine.

this just adds into the reasons why i dont' like that particular dealer (which is actually in falls church not fairfax, BTW).

a synthetic oil change is $70, the tire rotation is around $25-30. regular dino will cost around $45.

here's a helpful hint for you for future services...when the car codes an A1 service...don't tell the SA "A1 service". ask for an oil change and a tire rotation. there WILL be a price difference. A1= $150, oil change and tire rotation will be half that price. bring in your own oil and you pay $25 for labor for them to change the oil. B service is a glorified oil change. price difference $180 vs a $45 oil change (or $70 for synthetic).

if they promised 4 yrs worth of oil changes they should give you the oil changes for free as stated at the time of sale as the car requires (synthetic vs dino). you need to look over your sales paperwork and find out what it says if it says anything. if possible take it up the food chain a little. sales manager, GM, service manager....they offer this free oil change stuff all the time for new car purchases. sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one on you.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
you might want ot double check whether the 2G RDX actually requires synthetic. the 1G RDX did due to the turbo engine.

this just adds into the reasons why i dont' like that particular dealer (which is actually in falls church not fairfax, BTW).

a synthetic oil change is $70, the tire rotation is around $25-30. regular dino will cost around $45.

here's a helpful hint for you for future services...when the car codes an A1 service...don't tell the SA "A1 service". ask for an oil change and a tire rotation. there WILL be a price difference. A1= $150, oil change and tire rotation will be half that price. bring in your own oil and you pay $25 for labor for them to change the oil. B service is a glorified oil change. price difference $180 vs a $45 oil change (or $70 for synthetic).

if they promised 4 yrs worth of oil changes they should give you the oil changes for free as stated at the time of sale as the car requires (synthetic vs dino). you need to look over your sales paperwork and find out what it says if it says anything. if possible take it up the food chain a little. sales manager, GM, service manager....they offer this free oil change stuff all the time for new car purchases. sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one on you.
I owned a 2008 RDX and I used to service it to Radley. I always bought the oil from Costco (same as Acura recommended one) and I felt the dealer was not happy at all with that. Instead of doing the service in an hour I used to stay there for 2 or more. They always gave me excuses for not washing my car either (something is broke in the car wash, too many cars in the line ... ).
I know I can argue with them about the free oil change and about the usage of a synthetic oil that's recommended but not required but I don't want to spend my energy dealing with their service department anymore. Prefer to pay 40$ to a honest Honda service.
I got a great price on my 2013 RDX and that keeps me for being angry on this dealer. Rosenthal Acura (Gaithersburg) service department is better but things are different with their sales guys.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This is all interesting. Our last three Volvos have had the service 'paid for' by Volvo for the first three or four years. Pretty good deal since their basic oil change service w/syn blend runs over $100.

I bought the three-year service package from the Acura dealer. It was presented as 'covers your scheduled maintenance for three years/36k miles'. I'm due for the first service in a month or so...we'll see what they cover and what they might want to charge for.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I owned a 2008 RDX and I used to service it to Radley. I always bought the oil from Costco (same as Acura recommended one) and I felt the dealer was not happy at all with that. Instead of doing the service in an hour I used to stay there for 2 or more. They always gave me excuses for not washing my car either (something is broke in the car wash, too many cars in the line ... ).
I know I can argue with them about the free oil change and about the usage of a synthetic oil that's recommended but not required but I don't want to spend my energy dealing with their service department anymore. Prefer to pay 40$ to a honest Honda service.
I got a great price on my 2013 RDX and that keeps me for being angry on this dealer. Rosenthal Acura (Gaithersburg) service department is better but things are different with their sales guys.
like i said before...more reasons why i don't like radley. i go to pohanka in chantilly. i've NEVER had an issue with their service dept when i've brought my own parts in for install. i won't let them wash my cars (and they comply with my adamant anal requests) and they never make me wait unnecessarily. if they can't get to it right away or it's going to take longer than 2 hrs, i get the loaner of my choice if it's available. their sales dept is also good. they don't play games and get straight to it on YOUR terms when you are ready to buy. no, i am not affiliated with them, but i have been a long time customer with nothing but good experiences with pohanka. radley...all my encounters (thankfully have been few and very far between) have not been positive. if you need a dealer to go to...give pohanka a try if you are willing.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

I intend to install fog lights on my base RDX and I'll give Pohanka a call to see how much they charge for the installation. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^they are going to give you the "book" time which will be stupid $$$$. no possibility of a DIY?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks all for replying. Will take my RDX to a Honda dealer from now on and will use Acura dealers only for fixing warranty problems.
yes, for maintenance take your RDX to a Honda dealer.. Don't go to the rip off Acura dealer (only go for warranty repairs) oil change is almost half the price of Acura. $35 vs $70? First make sure your Honda dealer will work on the RDX.. mine will.. and saves me a lot of $$ vs Acura.
The following users liked this post:
Destynee (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question, when you say "Radley Acura in Fairfax, VA" are you referring to the one in Falls Church? I Just bought a 2013 RDX and one of the selling points for me on the car was the fact that I will no longer have to pay the $50 each time I take it in for an oil change because it no longer requires the synthetic oil since the new model does not have the turbo. I had a 2011 RDX and hated that I had to pay for the synthetic oil each time I took it in (I got them to also throw in the "free oil change" when I bought that car BUT had to pay for the synthetic oil). I take it to the Radley Acura off of Columbia Pike in Falls Church and they are great (Ask for Jimmy or the Greek guy --I forget his name! The night manager, Jose is also great), I also took it to the Karen Radley shop in Woodbridge and got an even lower rate for the synthetic oil.

But again, with the 2013, you should not have to continue to pay for the synthetic oil.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I just had my car at Radley Acura in Falls Church, I was not pleased. I ended up waiting 3 hours for A1 service, and I thought the price was nuts. I will probably go to Honda for future service or do oil changes and tire rotations myself. Heres my receipt. Just for the record, I did not request synthetic oil. I just told them I was there for my first service

Last edited by dc5k20z1; 04-18-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused

OK, I'm confused and would like to hear others suggestions.
Took delivery on 2013 RDX and it was a smooth, professional and overall good experience, however I am very confused on the offer of the Extended Service program which has been presented as $400 for what we thought was 4yr/50K of service and was promoted as about a 40% savings overall by the closing agent. At the time I thought it covered oil (synthetic) change, tire rotations, and fluid changes, but I may have mis-understood the latter as being included.
Yesterday, I asked Service Mgr, and he said I was
mis-informed that it was really like a 4th "free" service on just oil and tire rotation and not based on time/mileage.
Can anyone help me here before I make our decision?
Thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Based on just about everyone's posts on service threads, don't ever get a service package or service plan unless everything is in writing. And even then take it with a grain of salt. You're better off finding a reputable dealer for service, whether Honda, Acura, or yourself!

I may be the exception to the rule but I take my RDX to the dealer that sold it to me but their A1 service price seems fair and they've given me a loaner every time I've brought it in. *edit* To be clear I pay every time I bring it in.

Last edited by BlackDogRDX; 04-19-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Add'l Info
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow dc5k. That's not what I would've expected to pay either!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
I just had my car at Radley Acura in Falls Church, I was not pleased. I ended up waiting 3 hours for A1 service, and I thought the price was nuts. I will probably go to Honda for future service or do oil changes and tire rotations myself. Heres my receipt. Just for the record, I did not request synthetic oil. I just told them I was there for my first service
Did you buy your car from them? If so, where is the "free" oil change discount on the invoice?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wow.....that bill for an A1 service is outrageous.
How does $29.99 sound to you??? Yes, that is what I paid and I got more than what you got....basically.

I have my service done at my Honda dealer...who I know very well. They will match any other Honda dealer's specials.

The oil you got was a full synthetic...possibly Mobil 1....but, NOT NECESSARY. But, they make more profit that way.

I use the Honda Motor Corp. "blended synthetic" that is made for them by Conoco. And, yes we are talking 00W20 weight oil. Better oil than the organic oil we've all used in yrs past...or not so past.
I got tires rotated, brake pads measured for wear, full inspection, all fluids topped off as needed, tire tread depth measured....all recorded in my Acura Service Records book...and officially "stamped" etc. Also my rear shocks were checked to see if they were leaking. Oh, by the way, I was there the whole time. I'm one of the very few that is allowed in the service area....and I have only 1 person...the same one...work on my RDX or my TSX. He's the shop foreman and the highest rated Honda Tech there.

So, find a Honda dealer, talk with them and save some money. Most Honda dealers have "blended synthetic" or "full synthetic" to offer you. I was offered either one.
Acura dealers tend to stock ONLY full synthetic....why......so they can have a bigger profit margin. And that is OBVIOUS with that bill I just saw here.

So, I got the same thing done...and a little more actually....for $29.99!!
Now I realize that in some parts of the country that might not be quite possible....but, even the "normal price" was $39.99 at this Honda dealer. Far cry from what was paid here. I have 2 Honda dealers in town and I can get that lower price from the other one also.
I would never ever go to a "quick lube" place again. So, I suggest don't do that!! Stopped doing that years ago after too many stripped oil pan drain plugs...or other mistakes made. And they cost more than the specials at the Honda dealer!!!

Just to make sure to all.....our RDX's DO NOT REQUIRE Mobil 1 or any other full synthetic oil.
The very early RDX's that left the factory did leave with Mobil 1....but for about a year now they are leaving the factory with.............Conoco "blended synthetic" 00W20 weight oil. What does that tell you??? That came from an Acura insider source I have.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

dck5- you waited THREE hours for an oil change? all the more reason i drive to the other dealer despite my proximity to radley.

i bring my own synthetic oil in for my TL and just pay the dealer for labor. i'll DIY my tire rotations if have the time. honestly if i've EVER had to wait for an oil change, it's only been an hour wait AT MOST. if i have more stuff that needs to be taken care of on the car...i get a loaner.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm about to do my first A1 maintenance within the next two months, and seeing dc5k20z1's bill got me thinking: I wonder if they did the synthetic oil change because the dealer thought the 2G RDX still requires it?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by C0rrion
I'm about to do my first A1 maintenance within the next two months, and seeing dc5k20z1's bill got me thinking: I wonder if they did the synthetic oil change because the dealer thought the 2G RDX still requires it?
The '13 RDX does NOT require full synthetic! I've talked about this earlier here. My own dealer said HE made the choice to offer only full synthetic. He and I both know why....greater profit.

He could have chosen to have the Conoco blended synthetic also.....just like the Honda dealers have...or both mine do for sure.....but, he didn't.

And, just because Acura put full synthetic in the first few RDX's made....it wasn't mandatory. That's why they changed...mainly due to cost.

Many Acura dealers will tell you "we use only full synthetic oil," but, they don't say and won't say it's mandatory....'cause it's not.

Hope this clears this up.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My dealer promised free oil changes for as long as I own the car. This promise had no impact on my decision to buy from this dealer. I was skeptical of such a promise from the get go. I figured they would load up oil changes with other "necessary" stuff. Anyway, my one year service date comes due on May 2nd. (I have about 5,800 miles and 30% left on oil life.) I will give them one chance to make good on the promise. If they fail, there is another Acura dealer in town and a couple of Honda dealers.

Regards, Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Racer

wow, 5800 miles in a year?

<-------- Jealous

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
My dealer promised free oil changes for as long as I own the car. This promise had no impact on my decision to buy from this dealer. I was skeptical of such a promise from the get go. I figured they would load up oil changes with other "necessary" stuff. Anyway, my one year service date comes due on May 2nd. (I have about 5,800 miles and 30% left on oil life.) I will give them one chance to make good on the promise. If they fail, there is another Acura dealer in town and a couple of Honda dealers.

Regards, Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

<-------- Jealous
I've had mine for 7 months and have 3300 miles on it. I have a Tundra that sits in the driveway and not in the garage that I drive whenever it rains or the roads are yucky. I'm retired so there are many days where neither vehicle gets started. Everybody is in a different situation. 6 years ago I was driving about 18k a year.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer

<-------- Jealous
You too can have 5,800 miles per year if you RETIRE early.

LOL, Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by geocord
I've had mine for 7 months and have 3300 miles on it. I have a Tundra that sits in the driveway and not in the garage that I drive whenever it rains or the roads are yucky. I'm retired so there are many days where neither vehicle gets started. Everybody is in a different situation. 6 years ago I was driving about 18k a year.

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
You too can have 5,800 miles per year if you RETIRE early.

LOL, Jim

I need to retire early OR get a beater. I've already got 6,000 miles and had the car 4 months
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 5,500 in two months!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm at 5870 miles in three months but its 80% highway miles and my oil life is at 40%. I should be able to get 8K miles before my service is due.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts

I need to retire early OR get a beater. I've already got 6,000 miles and had the car 4 months
Do the beater thing...Its the best thing ever!! I have low mileage on both my TL and RDX and enables me to not drive them when the weather is shitty!!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Racer

I just returned home from my first service. Oil change, labor, misc parts, hand wash and interior vacuum, dressing on tires. Total cost $0.00. Invoice shows $59.95 charge with a $59.95 credit. Took less than one hour. My dealer uses a synthetic/dino blend. Single cup brewed coffee medium, dark roast or 50/50, chocolate chip cookies,and soft drinks available in the waiting room.

I am very pleased with this dealer.

Regards, Jim

Quick Reply: Service cost