RDX vs. Other SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by SM05
So, I keep going back and force between 3 choices at the moment: RDX (wish it was smaller just a bit like last gen + extra cameras tech), new Nissan Rogue SL (great package but reliability in general is a concern, and add first year redesigned model to that), and Subaru CrossTrek Hybrid (better reliability than Nissan but not as good as Acura's, 1st year hybrid model; no spare tire ).

I'm about to part with my Lexus so I figure anything short of Acura is gonna be a downhill quality / reliability for me. My 10 year old Lexus's been the most trouble-free and dependable car I've ever had.

Anyways, I'm going crazy over-analyzing it here. Hehe.
I assume you're looking to make a decision soon? Lexus will be launching the new NX crossover sometime next summer if you're willing/able to wait. The LF-NX concept, which Lexus says is surprisingly close to the production car, sports aggressive styling (too aggressive for my taste), but maybe you'd be OK with that. Engine choices are expected to be a 2.0 liter turbo 4-cylinder (NX200T) or hybrid (NX300H).

Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I assume you're looking to make a decision soon?
Was just thinking about it earlier today. My Lexus gets picked up by its new owner next week (I partially regret selling it actually - not a thing wrong with the car, it's just starting to show signs of age). We live in the city and both use metro to commute to work. Car used to be used on weekends only. So, I'm thinking ZipCar for a while until I make up my mind.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Lexus will be launching the new NX crossover sometime next summer if you're willing/able to wait. The LF-NX concept, which Lexus says is surprisingly close to the production car, sports aggressive styling (too aggressive for my taste)
Don't care much for NX looks tbhwy. I also would like to stay under 35K + TTL, think base RDX. I don't think what I'm looking for exists : small(er) CUV, high ground clearance good AWD for me to take to the mountains, 170+ hp (an exception is being made for CrossTrek), reliable and well built, nice(er) interior with more tech other than backup camera. What comes close is Buick Encore, but it's too small and under-powered IMHO.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
About the only thing besides the RDX that fits your criteria almost to a T is the Forester. But if you rule those out the new Lexus NX will not look anywhere near the radical design in that picture. That is a concept and all concepts have radical design elements like huge rims, sliver like side mirrors, etc. Lexus is fairly conservative and while it may be a lot less conservative than they have been in the past, it will be much toned down from that concept IMO. But, even in base version I would doubt it would hit anywhere near the $35k mark. Probably more like $37 to start and with the tech you're talking about would push it way past the RDX Tech version I'm sure.
The following users liked this post:
SM05 (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by geocord
About the only thing besides the RDX that fits your criteria almost to a T is the Forester. But if you rule those out the new Lexus NX will not look anywhere near the radical design in that picture. That is a concept and all concepts have radical design elements like huge rims, sliver like side mirrors, etc. Lexus is fairly conservative and while it may be a lot less conservative than they have been in the past, it will be much toned down from that concept IMO. But, even in base version I would doubt it would hit anywhere near the $35k mark. Probably more like $37 to start and with the tech you're talking about would push it way past the RDX Tech version I'm sure.
Thanks! I'm gonna take a look at 2015 Forester changes when it's announced, provided I can convince my wife to give it another chance, and that's a big if. I'll also wait to see what's in store for 2015 RDX on tech side. And I'll keep an eye on 2014 Rogue reviews and driver forums feedback. I suspect that I can sit on it until about mid spring but past that I most likely will have my hand forced to get something.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Forester is a very impressive vehicle except for the seat. I've test driven them and never got comfortable in the seat no matter how it was adjusted. The 2.5 is a bit strained but the 2.0 turbo is really good. Overall they are pretty good although not as nice as an RDX.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Overall they are pretty good although not as nice as an RDX.
Yeah, that's my impression as well. TBHWY, Forester's interior isn't that great and I'd qualify it as spartan. Leather, or "pleather" as I understand it, used is meh with leather being just the middle part. Exterior is just, ..., well not for everybody. It doesn't bother me but wife dislikes it passionately (she calls it Fuglister ). And top of the line XT is $$$ close to RDX + package, which is a lot for a Subaru. It's a well built and performing car, but not in the same class as RDX though.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimcorner
Purchased our 2013 w/Tech in April.

Cross-shopped X3, Q5, CX5, SantaFe Sport.

X3 and Q5 quickly dropped out because of price. Also rear seat room was tighter than the RDX. CX5 drove AWESOME but it's got a crappy and laggy nav and has pretty high road noise. I would say about the same volume knee wise in the CX5 as the RDX. RDX has more shoulder room up front by quite a bit. SantaFe was cheaper and not too bad, great rear leg room and cargo volume, however build quality was sub-par (try pushing on their fog lights, they feel like they will just pop out) and the steering was horrible (very large on-center dead spot no mater what mode it was on)

In the end wife was ok with the premium over a SantaFe/CX5 to get the RDX w/Tech. Q5 would have been about $5k more (possibly more) with similar features to the RDX. We are happy with it, I'm averaging about 25mpg mixed. On road trips I can hit 28-30mpg.
Make a choice based on what you want vs. this being better than the other. We liked the Santa Fe at first site. I would have missed out if I had settled on first drive. I would have also missed out on my TL had it been based on the same. Both ended up being the best purchase at the time of purchase. And yes the new RDX was available at the time I purchased the Santa Fe Turbo.

Last edited by DeMAN; 12-11-2013 at 05:09 PM.