RDX vs NX sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by skabei
This is the real issue with the space. I won't be able to fit large blocky objects. If I buy a bathtub or something bulky then I'll likely have to use my Dad's 2002 Forester which fits way more while being much smaller. For me personally, the space is sufficient. I was first looking at hatchbacks anyway.

Give the NX a test drive (F-Sport) and see how it compares to the first gen RDX. I'm curious.
Yeah I think I am going to go this weekend and see if I can test drive one in f-sport guise. I just feel like the local dealer is ultra snobby and I hate getting stuck with an ultra pushy salesman. If I was seriously going to buy the thing, it would take more than a few minute test drive to sell me on a 55k purchase!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Me too; especially with regard to handling. That is what I really love and why I won't yet give up the 1st Gen. They are all fast enough for my taste. Tempted to go test drive an NX, but I might do something reckless if I really love it.

But.....the performance numbers of the NX appear considerably less than the turbo RDX, despite similar engine output. The old RDX is just a fraction of a second slower in the tests against the V6 version, and it's hard to tell. Might be due to the mid-range torque rush versus the much smoother power delivery of the V6.
This is what I find really interesting about the 1G RDX. The numbers really aren't that great on paper. 4000 pounds with a 2.3t with 240hp and 260tq at a pretty high for a turbo 4500 rpm and an old school 5 speed slush box. Yet it still hits 60 in like 6.3. Even with the shawd sapping a huge amount of power. The lincoln mkc also has a 2.3 but it makes 285hp and 305tq at a not bad 2750 rpm (so much more power available much sooner) and to top it off it has a 6 speed auto (so lower first and second gears) and also weighs around 4000 pounds. Yet the mkc takes 7.2 to get to 60. I was totally expecting a high 5 second 0-60 time for the mkc.

So I really don't get why the rdx is as fast as it is (I don't mind though lol). Might be because of the variable geometry turbo? But I can't be certain.

Lol at us 1G rdx guys throwing tomatoes at the 2G rdx all the time.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
So I really don't get why the rdx is as fast as it is (I don't mind though lol). Might be because of the variable geometry turbo? But I can't be certain.

Lol at us 1G rdx guys throwing tomatoes at the 2G rdx all the time.
The 2nd Gen RDX is a great car with great value, and I like it. I'm just whining about the loss of the RDX's sporty side, given there's no clear replacement vehicle in the same price range.

Same thing with the S2000, but that ain't getting replaced!

Last edited by Kaputnik; 01-15-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
This here is the problem! The 2016 loaner I drove around for a few hours felt like a boat,
A boat with a rocket engine!

From the outside, you wouldn't think the RDX is fast at all. The NX felt nimbler, and cramped, but in a straight line the RDX blows it away.

I do mostly highway driving so straight line power for merging and passing is important to me. Assholes around here ride bumper to bumper and will try to block you from passing them. So with the extra power, you blow the asshole away and actually pass the other asshole ahead of him, which he isn't expecting.

Yeah... Toronto drivers are assholes! God forbid you actually merge in front of someone when you get on the highway! The accelerate to block you when they see you coming on the ramp.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive in Toronto and know exactly what you mean.

I let these assholes pass me 99.9% of the time. Sooner than later they will get into a collision with another asshole. It is a matter of when.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

The 2nd Gen RDX is a great car with great value, and I like it. I'm just whining about the loss of the RDX's sporty side, given there's no clear replacement vehicle in the same price range.

Same thing with the S2000, but that ain't getting replaced!
No I totally get it and I agree. Go drive a lincoln mkc, I want to drive one too. I feel it is the closest thing on the market to the 1g rdx while being loaded with tech.

Originally Posted by JACN
A boat with a rocket engine!

From the outside, you wouldn't think the RDX is fast at all. The NX felt nimbler, and cramped, but in a straight line the RDX blows it away.

I do mostly highway driving so straight line power for merging and passing is important to me. Assholes around here ride bumper to bumper and will try to block you from passing them. So with the extra power, you blow the asshole away and actually pass the other asshole ahead of him, which he isn't expecting.

Yeah... Toronto drivers are assholes! God forbid you actually merge in front of someone when you get on the highway! The accelerate to block you when they see you coming on the ramp.
By boat, I meant driving dynamics. The 2016 loaner I had was surprisingly quick (when it was in the right gear and not butchered by a sloppy slush box). Though my rdx feels faster in all gears. Especially in mid range. But the smoothness of the v6 was surprising. Very linear and smooth, also sounded nicer than my I4.

People here aren't as bad on the highway, about an 50/50 chance of getting an asshole when merging!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
^^Maybe the ATLP exhaust helps, but I love how the I4 turbo rockets when merging or passing on a highway. Sometimes it catches me by surprise because it is such a powerful rush. Lot's of smiles for sure.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Suzuka Master

^^Maybe the ATLP exhaust helps, but I love how the I4 turbo rockets when merging or passing on a highway. Sometimes it catches me by surprise because it is such a powerful rush. Lot's of smiles for sure.
Even without the exhaust, mine gives me a smile. The mid range punch is AWESOME!

It even helps in the city when cutting through slow traffic. And Sh-AWD is an absolute beast. It does not care what I am driving on. It even sends power sideways across the rear axle if one wheel is on ice, not only when taking a hard turn. This is very very cool. It is like having a true lsd in the rear!