RDX Shortcomings

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
What's wrong with cashmere carpets? I want cashmere carpets!

The problem with Korean cars is that many of us still remember the Hyundai Excel - a car like the Yugo - that literally fell apart as you were driving it.

That brought us the 10yr 100k mile warranty and a slew of really good cars - but they can't shake the Excel/Pony reputation

Kia has the Rio, Pride and Sephia - all forgettable vehicles that we can't forget.
Nothing! But at roughly 45k you are not getting it! Would be damn cool if Acura made the next gen vehicles luxurious or went back to sport with luxury.

No you are right, I know exactly what you mean. But how hard does the company have to try to get peoples attention? The kia rio (current one at least) is pretty damn cool, you can get things like heated rear seats, cooled driver seat, heated steering wheel, and I think even panoramic sunroof. Thats some serious tech for a car its' price.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
The problem with Korean cars is that many of us still remember the Hyundai Excel - a car like the Yugo - that literally fell apart as you were driving it.

That brought us the 10yr 100k mile warranty and a slew of really good cars - but they can't shake the Excel/Pony reputation

Kia has the Rio, Pride and Sephia - all forgettable vehicles that we can't forget.
But you can conveniently forget about the crap that the Japanese were manufacturing back in the seventies and early eighties.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
How about good old USA manufacturers? Didn't GM openly apologize for the Vega?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
But you can conveniently forget about the crap that the Japanese were manufacturing back in the seventies and early eighties.
While some of the Japanese products were ugly and uninspired (Datsun 510 etc.) and some were toy cars (Subaru 360), almost all were reliable. The Hyundai was horrible and had parts that fell off.

Originally Posted by dirleton
How about good old USA manufacturers? Didn't GM openly apologize for the Vega?
and the Cimarron and...

The Vega and Pinto almost killed the segment and the Cimarron cost Cadillac 1/3 of its market share for early 10 years - but - each US manufacturer had a slew of other cars that were well regarded - at least in the big scheme of things.

The Koreans were trying to break into the US market - with unreliable trash that broke the moment the cars drove off the lot. That is the difference.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
While some of the Japanese products were ugly and uninspired (Datsun 510 etc.)
We had a '72 Datsun 510, in the bright orange color, 4 speed manual. That car was reliable as hell. It was still in great shape when we sold it ten years later.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
We had a '72 Datsun 510, in the bright orange color, 4 speed manual. That car was reliable as hell. It was still in great shape when we sold it ten years later.
And that differentiated the 70's/80's Japanese cars from the Koreans - they were reliable.

When the first Japanese cars showed up in the US the reliability was mostly there but they didn't fit the market. they quickly adapted and created a segment that the US carmakers are only now starting to fill - reliable, small, gas efficient cars that didn't break the bank.

The Koreans tried to enter that segment but with cars that were of abysmal quality and had no redeeming qualities. they are still living with that reputation although they are now some of the most reliable and feature laden cars around.

We'll see the same when the first Chinese cars show up. They'll be cheap and fall apart. They will barely meet any standards and they'll look cheap. Fit and finish will be terrible.

Last edited by ceb; 02-19-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
People (including me) will remember only those companies who took their hard earned money and then threw it away. It will take a long time for me to forget that. The Japanese companies didn't do that to me at least.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
I was tempted to get rdx but settled for tlx

I do want a small suv for next car in late 2017/early 2018 when lease is up

I didn't go rdx due to wanting 8 speed transmission or higher
Old 03-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Bobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=snorf;15681746]I don't think you're crapping on it or speaking with malice at all. You're just giving your honest opinion. When you see everyday midsize and/or compacts offering features not even available on the top of the line RDX (a so-called premium car) it makes you think a bit. (It makes me realize I bought a $43k Honda, but I'm okay with that.) It obviously is missing things that are readily available in (standard, non-premium) midsize and compact cars. As to crapping on it or speaking with malice? LOL! That's funny. I can tell you that after 35 years of marriage my wife and I have things that we could say about each other - without malice - but are very accurate. Example? My wife (a retired dentist) has absolutely no business in a kitchen and I don't clean the showers as well as she'd like to have them cleaned. We don't consider it trash talk, but merely stating our opinions.[/QUOTE

While the 16 RDX doesn't have every option, it is plenty loaded for the money compared to their Euro competition. The biggest plus is a real V6 vs. the turbo 4's on the Audi and X3 and Discovery Sport. The biggest minus on the RDX is the antiquated navigation which is very surprising given Acura's time to bring this up-to-speed. The dealership did a good job in my case in disguising the drawbacks, which I didn't catch until after I purchased my RDX. But that hapens with most vehicles. None are perfect.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
[QUOTE=Bobzmcishl;15698129]
Originally Posted by snorf
I don't think you're crapping on it or speaking with malice at all. You're just giving your honest opinion. When you see everyday midsize and/or compacts offering features not even available on the top of the line RDX (a so-called premium car) it makes you think a bit. (It makes me realize I bought a $43k Honda, but I'm okay with that.) It obviously is missing things that are readily available in (standard, non-premium) midsize and compact cars. As to crapping on it or speaking with malice? LOL! That's funny. I can tell you that after 35 years of marriage my wife and I have things that we could say about each other - without malice - but are very accurate. Example? My wife (a retired dentist) has absolutely no business in a kitchen and I don't clean the showers as well as she'd like to have them cleaned. We don't consider it trash talk, but merely stating our opinions.[/QUOTE

While the 16 RDX doesn't have every option, it is plenty loaded for the money compared to their Euro competition. The biggest plus is a real V6 vs. the turbo 4's on the Audi and X3 and Discovery Sport. The biggest minus on the RDX is the antiquated navigation which is very surprising given Acura's time to bring this up-to-speed. The dealership did a good job in my case in disguising the drawbacks, which I didn't catch until after I purchased my RDX. But that hapens with most vehicles. None are perfect.
I won't even consider another European car and won't go into that. And I don't care that much about the "features" as I'm more interested in the driving experience. But I think that acura is a follower (several years behind) in technology, certainly not a leader. Take a look at what manufacturers are offering in mainstream (not luxury or performance) sedans - heated steering wheels in many of them; heated/cooled rear seats (used to be in the RDX); multiple USB ports (Kia has 2 of them available for the rear seat passengers); record to HDD via USB or mp3 (even in Chrysler products!); new to the 2016 RDX is rear vents (our 2010 Toyota, like many other cars, had them); apple carplay is in the 2016 civic (not to mention elantra, etc), digital speedometer in the basic version of the 2015 civic, and on and on. I'm not trying to knock the RDX, but am being realistic. Even the drivetrain is basically an accord engine minus direct inject (i.e. old accord-like technology). The VCM may be great for gas mileage, but I feel mine kicking in and out all the time. Our 6 cyl venza was far smoother (car magazines referred to it as butter smooth).

My two biggest complaints are the ridiculous wind noise (a Honda/acura trait for many years that remains to this very day) that I can live with and the recording to the HDD being so outdated and time consuming. The other stuff... nav, Bluetooth, etc, I don't even use. But we enjoy the car. It is as advertised - a premium Honda. In this case, a premium CR-V.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
All you need to do is move to Canada to get all three of these. And as a bonus your windshield washer reservoir is also twice the size.
Has anyone checked to see if the Canadian version tank will bolt to the same spot in the US version RDX? Might be a fun upgrade if it's a direct fit.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX is a great vehicle but it stands in the middle of other great if not greater vehicles that offer better value or just flat out more features. If the RDX is what you want just based on feelings, it's still a very good choice. But you have to go into it knowing what you are giving up and what you will be getting. My fiancee came from an old Altima so everything on the RDX was special except the push start which the Altima also had.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I really wish the remote start wasn't so expensive, seems pretty stupid to me, and would have loved to have the option of rear heated seats on my "tech pkg".
Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FoffCEB
RDX is a great vehicle but it stands in the middle of other great if not greater vehicles that offer better value or just flat out more features. If the RDX is what you want just based on feelings, it's still a very good choice. But you have to go into it knowing what you are giving up and what you will be getting. My fiancee came from an old Altima so everything on the RDX was special except the push start which the Altima also had.
Hats off to you sir for your choice of username.
The following users liked this post:
FoffCEB (03-11-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Hats off to you sir for your choice of username.
Wow just looked and holy crap.....someone must have been unhappy.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX10
Wow just looked and holy crap.....someone must have been unhappy.
Someone just calling it as they see it IMHO
Old 03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Someone just calling it as they see it IMHO
I personally think he's a good guy. So no further comment on my part.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Bobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We looked at the RDX competition and all of them were more expensive (Audi, BMW, Volvo, Cadillac, and Lexus) especially if you factored in a six cylinder engine. The BMW dealer didn't even have a 6 cylinder X3's in stock, they are so expensive. We traded in a BMW, so we were very familiar with what high maintenance costs mean, also. We now have three Honda products (91 Accord, 04 TL, and 16 RDX), because we like the reliability factor. I am positive Audi and BMW handle better and have nicer leather, but I wasn't going to ante up at least 10k extra for that.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:38 AM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I just got a 2013 RDX, so far 3 things bug me, parking brake won't disengage when shifting from park, always have to push the button for the nav for the acknowledgement B.S., third, cargo lights are on top, not in the cargo area, cargo lights are there to light up the cargo area not the top of your head, crap is dumb, and the cargo area has no compartments to put small stuff in, just a plain flat floor, might as well drive a pick up truck.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
So --- why did you buy it?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
So --- why did you buy it?
Because I like it, genius, doesn't mean it's perfect, it's like getting a woman who's a 9.5, what you gonna do, dump her after one date because she's not a 10?🙄
Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
I just got a 2013 RDX, so far 3 things bug me, parking brake won't disengage when shifting from park, always have to push the button for the nav for the acknowledgement B.S., third, cargo lights are on top, not in the cargo area, cargo lights are there to light up the cargo area not the top of your head, crap is dumb, and the cargo area has no compartments to put small stuff in, just a plain flat floor, might as well drive a pick up truck.
They must have updated the NAV on the newer ones. On my '17, the screen comes up and then goes away pretty quickly so I don't have to acknowledge it....I had that on an older car and thought it kinda stupid; however, they must have had some court somewhere say that the screen appearing was enough to get rid of the liability.....so they made it auto-disappear.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You might consider me oblivious or easy to please, but the only thing that bugs me is the auto door lock feature when the car moves more than about ten mph. Like others, the strong V6, value, reliability, and build quality make the RDX a strong choice.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You might consider me oblivious or easy to please, but the only thing that bugs me is the auto door lock feature when the car moves more than about ten mph. Like others, the strong V6, value, reliability, and build quality make the RDX a strong choice.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Froid
You might consider me oblivious or easy to please, but the only thing that bugs me is the auto door lock feature when the car moves more than about ten mph..
If that bothers you, you can disable automatic door locking all together, or set it to lock automatically when you move the gear selector out of the park position,

You can also change when the doors unlock, either when the drivers door is opened. or when switching to park, or when turning off the ignition.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Because I like it, genius, doesn't mean it's perfect, it's like getting a woman who's a 9.5, what you gonna do, dump her after one date because she's not a 10?🙄
i married a 10, so yeah, pretty much.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
LOL...Alberta girls are the best...oh, wait, I bet you scooped her from Ontario...... all you pain-in-the-ass married dudes have taken all the good ones off the market, leaving behind ...well, this is why I'm currently single......but I'm happy so all you flirts can just relax.

Last edited by Skidoor; 12-03-2016 at 10:14 AM.