RDX lacks much safety tech...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Agree in part, but then why would Airbus and the Europeans still prefer the electronics over Pilots? They know no matter how much training and how much skill the human is far more likely to make a mistake. And use electronics can fail, but with the redundancy and such it is less likely. You can test drivers every year and I don't think it would matter, they will do what they need for the test and then go back to their habits. What you need is more personal liability in cases where it was clear there was a distracted driver. See how much texting you will do if you insurance company can walk away if they can prove you were texting while driving and you are fully liable. The problem is people do not feel they will be accountable for their actions. Hell in my state (GA) they won't even pass a hands free law so people are leaning on their phones, dialing their phones and such. The Feds are so eager for backup cameras, they should mandate BT and BT voice commands in every can and then states should pass hands free laws. Yes it is still a distraction to be talking even hands free, but far less.
I can point to multiple airbus crashes that were a direct result of the electronics not giving the pilots enough feedback to avoid collision with the ground... air france flight 447 being the most recent
Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I can point to multiple airbus crashes that were a direct result of the electronics not giving the pilots enough feedback to avoid collision with the ground... air france flight 447 being the most recent
I don't think that a Boeing would have provided much more in the way of feedback, inasmuch as the clues to situational awareness are absent in a cockpit at 40,000 feet at night. In either a Boeing or a 'bus the pilots were dependent upon their instruments, which for the most part were working as designed (except for the temporary loss of airspeed information, which resulted from an issue with a pitot tube which is used in all aircraft).

But you're half right. The tragedy was that Airbus had progressed so far in making a plane that could fly itself that the captain was comfortable taking a nap and leaving the craft in the hands of two guys who actually didn't know very much about flying airplanes, such that when the electronics failed... even briefly... they were completely overwhelmed and did all of the wrong things.

I'm not sure what the automotive analogy would be... except that it is possible that someone who had done all of their driving in a car with all of the tech goodies might be at a bit of a disadvantage if they found themselves in a '55 Plymouth with drum brakes and bias-ply tires. And a clutch.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Agreed, never said it was not potential, and the pilots relied too heavily on the instruments and mis judged their speed.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Acura brand started with the purpose of making cars with the most advanced technologies ahead of its competitions in the earlier day. But then they slack off and is no longer motivated to pursue technologies nor to compete with other similar brands. We all notice that even the Honda Accord and Honda Fit has technologies that the Acura RDX is lack of. I know many of you will say "Don't buy an Acura then if you don't like it" or "Who cares about technologies because I got brain". The facts is I like the size and the V6 that it comes with... but I can see the trend for Acura ~ they even remove the LED and Dual Exhaust off from their top of the line MDX ...go figure.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by another oldguy
I don't think that a Boeing would have provided much more in the way of feedback, inasmuch as the clues to situational awareness are absent in a cockpit at 40,000 feet at night. In either a Boeing or a 'bus the pilots were dependent upon their instruments, which for the most part were working as designed (except for the temporary loss of airspeed information, which resulted from an issue with a pitot tube which is used in all aircraft).

But you're half right. The tragedy was that Airbus had progressed so far in making a plane that could fly itself that the captain was comfortable taking a nap and leaving the craft in the hands of two guys who actually didn't know very much about flying airplanes, such that when the electronics failed... even briefly... they were completely overwhelmed and did all of the wrong things.

I'm not sure what the automotive analogy would be... except that it is possible that someone who had done all of their driving in a car with all of the tech goodies might be at a bit of a disadvantage if they found themselves in a '55 Plymouth with drum brakes and bias-ply tires. And a clutch.
hate to burst your bubble but there is NO WAY that the circumstances that brought down AF 447 could have happened in a Boeing. When one pilot pulls back on the stick, both yokes move. This is not the case with the Airbus design. Having listened to the CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) you can hear the airplane stay STALL no less than 57 times as the whole time the inexperienced pilot has the joystick pulled all the way back....
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
and you know that how?
It has been discussed on AZ, why do you think it won't happen? If Acura doesn't step up the tech at MMY change for the RDX they have lost me as a customer.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
It has been discussed on AZ, why do you think it won't happen? If Acura doesn't step up the tech at MMY change for the RDX they have lost me as a customer.
There is a difference in expecting a manufacturer to "step up the tech" and to make a statement specifically stating what a manufacturer will do two years out.

Had the poster said "in order to stay competitive, Acura should include XYZ in the next change" then it would have been correct, but to say "Acura will include XYZ in 2016" is pure conjecture stated as fact.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by ceb
There is a difference in expecting a manufacturer to "step up the tech" and to make a statement specifically stating what a manufacturer will do two years out.

Had the poster said "in order to stay competitive, Acura should include XYZ in the next change" then it would have been correct, but to say "Acura will include XYZ in 2016" is pure conjecture stated as fact.
You are splitting hairs here. A Acura employee who has received training on the TLX from corporate HQ has stated that Acura will indeed make an advance model RDX for 2016 MMY change. Maybe you missed that discussion in the TLX forum a while back?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You are splitting hairs here. A Acura employee who has received training on the TLX from corporate HQ has stated that Acura will indeed make an advance model RDX for 2016 MMY change. Maybe you missed that discussion in the TLX forum a while back?
No splitting of hairs here. We know that Honda doesn't release information early and the employee who received training on a particular model may have heard incorrectly, the person providing the training may have wanted to make himself feel more important or the employee flat made it up.

In no way does anyone in the US have any information about plans for the 2016 MY.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Let's assume they do release an Advance, the RDX based on the old head unit and tech, not sure how much they would add that would not require updating the head unit.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
No splitting of hairs here. We know that Honda doesn't release information early and the employee who received training on a particular model may have heard incorrectly, the person providing the training may have wanted to make himself feel more important or the employee flat made it up.

In no way does anyone in the US have any information about plans for the 2016 MY.
Whatever

Let's see who is correct in about 1 year
Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

the RDX sells well because of it's perceived value and having what people want in a SUV The older crowd that buys this isn't really interested in all of the BS that makes the car balloon in price

CR-V = record setting sales as if June 30th
2013 145,763
2014 154,962
up 5.94%

RDX is up 1.5% over last year so far as of June 30th
2013 22,000
2014 22,349

based upon my local Acura dealer's inventory I would say that BY FAR the most popular model is Base AWD
Old 07-16-2014, 02:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

the RDX sells well because of it's perceived value and having what people want in a SUV The older crowd that buys this isn't really interested in all of the BS that makes the car balloon in price

CR-V = record setting sales as if June 30th
2013 145,763
2014 154,962
up 5.94%

RDX is up 1.5% over last year so far as of June 30th
2013 22,000
2014 22,349

based upon my local Acura dealer's inventory I would say that BY FAR the most popular model is Base AWD
Based on what he has or what he doesn't have in stock?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

What he does have in stock... They move through a large number of Base AWD vehicles.....and keep a large assortment of them.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

What he does have in stock... They move through a large number of Base AWD vehicles.....and keep a large assortment of them.
Maybe that means that he can't keep techs in stock.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol okay....if it lets you sleep better at night...
Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I search every day, some days twice on the net. For a 2013 RDX white with tan interior. In my search, I have noted that 75% of the vehicles for sale are tech cars. I would presume due to that they were the most sold?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I would bet the FWD Tech is the most popular model in central Texas.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Cool

Originally Posted by CoachRick

It certainly is in Florida.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Cool

Originally Posted by ceb
Maybe that means that he can't keep techs in stock.

For once.... I agree with you..., frightening.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ARascal
For once.... I agree with you..., frightening.
naw what that means (since companies have to pay inventory tax in a lot of places) is that he is not selling many of them.... and since he does not want to pay excessive tax, keeping a few around works... you can see this at ANY car dealer where the base models typically outnumber the premium ones...unless the premium ones are selling better...in which case they will keep more of them around.

Originally Posted by CoachRick
does it snow by the foot in Texas? I think not so FWD would suffice...