Quick! Talk me off the ledge about to trade in new RDX . . . !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick! Talk me off the ledge about to trade in new RDX . . . !!!

I know I'm crazy but after having my new RDX Tech AWD for a couple months, I'm very disappointed and am about to trade it in for a 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35 . . .

There is so much I love about the RDX, but after driving it for a while, I've reached the conclusion that for me, it's just not FUN to drive. The way Acura tuned the car there is very little power until 3K RPM and then no real power until 4.5K+ RPM so for 90% of my normal commute driving, it feels sluggish to me. If I get it up to the 5K range, it's fantastic, but by then I'm already exceeding the speed limit . . . . no fun is everyday traffic.

I also don't know what it is with Acura's but they all seem to resist down shifting and stutter . . . when down shifting hard . . . .seems like it takes a while to settle in before power really comes on strong . . . maybe some combination of the downshift and vtec kicking in at once . . . not really sure . . . .but it results in occasional long pauses before the power comes on strong . . ..

I'm sure most people would never notice this but for me . . . argh!!!

A couple other things driving me crazy are the navigation. I can seriously not believe that a 40K car has such a HORRIBLE navigation system. You can't use it when you drive . . . eh!? It's a car . . . what's the point if I can't use it while driving . . . . okay, . . . try to enter the address with voice . . . that takes 20 MINUTES to get it right and I'm so much more distracted from the road than if my passenger or myself could have just put the address in. Also just little things like as you enter an address the letters/numbers that are no longer available are gray'ed out . . . that's great but then when you scroll, it doesn't skip them! What?! Did anyone actually try to use this navigation system after it was designed . . . .?

The last thing bothering me (though not quite as much), is the suspension is NOISY. I noticed it during the test drive but didn't think it would bother me much but dang it's noisy. The suspension soaks up the bumps perfectly and has the pefect balance between supple and firm but why does it need to be so loud while doing it . . . . And I drove two different RDX's so I know it's nothing wrong with mine but just normal . . . .

There is still a ton I love about the car too . . . . just not sure it's enough since driving experience is first and foremost for myself. I love the interior design fit and finish . . . keyless entry and ignition . . . big bright backup camera screen, comfortable ride . . . I think it's a great looking car, etc, etc.

Please somebody . . . talk some since into me!!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are they going to give you for your RDX. What did you pay for it just the car before taxes and fee's?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
8th Gear

paid 38,200 I think (plus roof rack and a couple other things). They are offering 34K . . . .
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

for example I paid 35,200 for mines Tech FWD back in Dec, then I traded for same car just a color change and got 31,500 for mines and paid 35,500 for the new one thats a 4k loss in 3months in my case but bad overall if I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time. So 34K for your's considering is an AWD it's a reasonable price you're losing 4k same as me. Now it all depends if what you're buying like the 2011BMW is at a good price and mileage and etc
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

I meant not bad overall if planning on keeping car for a long time but still it's a 4k hit. But I said to my self I'ts better to lose a little bit now and be happy than lose all later and not be happy and end up getting less for the car
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
8th Gear

2011 bmw x3, 28K miles xdrive35, $39.8K. It doesn't have every option but it has a lot and considering there are only 4 or 5 used ones in the ENTIRE west coast, I think it's a pretty good deal. Still has 2 years on warranty and maintenance.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

Price is very steep a 2013 cost 40,000 to 40,435 invoice price and a 2011 retail price is 37,900 is what you should pay for a 2011 28k miles
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't enjoy it that early after a purchase I would say dump it. I am not a fan of the whole X-drive system with BMW, but if it works for you go for it.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by aalvarez2929
Price is very steep a 2013 cost 40,000 to 40,435 invoice price and a 2011 retail price is 37,900 is what you should pay for a 2011 28k miles
Not sure where you are getting your numbers but they are pretty far off. A new x3 xdrive35i is more like 54K after options are added. Base price on BMW's means nothing. Options often add 12K+ easily to the base price. Most 2011's are going for 44k-49k. So I think it's a reasonable deal.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
climbbike...I am sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying the RDX. A 4K loss is not the end of the world if you aren't happy with the vehicle and really want to get the BMW. Myself, I am always a bit worried about the reliability factor of the BMW but I know they are also much better than they were.

My best advice is life is short....drive what makes you happy. If you can afford the 4K loss, then go for it but don't get yourself in a financial bind just because you want something different. And make sure you really want the BMW because if you get that one and realize after you buy it (as you did with your RDX) that there are things you don't like, it will be another expensive mistake.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
climbbike...I am sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying the RDX. A 4K loss is not the end of the world if you aren't happy with the vehicle and really want to get the BMW. Myself, I am always a bit worried about the reliability factor of the BMW but I know they are also much better than they were.

My best advice is life is short....drive what makes you happy. If you can afford the 4K loss, then go for it but don't get yourself in a financial bind just because you want something different. And make sure you really want the BMW because if you get that one and realize after you buy it (as you did with your RDX) that there are things you don't like, it will be another expensive mistake.
This pretty well sums it up. If you can take the loss, then go for whatever makes you grin. Life is short, so drive what you want.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM
8th Gear

You guys are not doing a good job at talking me off the ledge. :-) I think I am going to do it. I drove the X3 for over an hour yesterday on roads on my normal commute to get a good feel for it. I think my mistake with the RDX was not driving it longer on the test drive and I, especially, should have driven on roads/conditions that I'm used to.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

** LMAO ** I believe in being honest and not making people hear what they want to hear, so sorry but I will be the first one to push you off the edge. You seem to want it, so do it.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Some years ago when I lived in the beach cities in Los Angeles I bought an E46 coupe. Heck it was the thing to do there! Had to keep up with the Jones' Spend more then I should have on a car and live in a tiny apartment. But I loved every minute of driving that car. Whether I was going to work, or the grocery store, or having some fun on the mountain roads, even making myself car sick.... that car was always fun to drive. When I moved to TX and had different financial commitments, and when the extended warranty was about up, I had to sell it. It was a sad day, but the TSX I bought has been a great car in terms of a balance between fun, cost effectiveness, and reliability. It was the right car at the right time.

So if you like the X3 that way then go for it. As Weather said 'life is short' so you might as well enjoy it. My suggestion is to look into the extended maintenance period. You may or may not get your money's worth out of it but it gives peace of mind. Also shop around, you can get it from any dealer and find it at a lower price. BMW service was pretty good, I just needed more of it than I wanted! It spent more time in the shop than all my other cars combined, but the fun made up for it. And because of the maintenance period it didn't cost me a dime. Also, be prepared to sell it when the warranty is up. You don't want to own it out of warranty.

Tuesday the wife and I get an extended test drive in a new 328. It is part of a promotion, they will give me a certificate for $1K off a new car. The timing isn't right for me to buy just yet, but I want to see if the F30 is as much fun as the E46. From everything I've read it may not be but I'm willing to give it a shot. I have more money now to spend on a car, but there is new competition out there too.

Good luck with the X3.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
If you don't like it, options are out there.

In all the 2013 RDX's I drive daily, I've yet to encounter one with noisy suspension or any issues with lack of power/sluggish shifting. Versus other vehicles, this 3.5L with the 6-speed is actually nicely aggressive and will burn the road up but get great mileage.

Not for everyone, but it depends on your frame of reference and what you like the most. Make sure of the history and condition of the BMW. Is it Certified? Otherwise, watch out. BMW's are to be leased or purchased Certified and then traded when the warranty ends. One month at Acura, we took in (3) 5-series models as their CPO warranties were ending. Oddly enough all 3 people purchased new RDX's, and not a different model.

$34k is a GREAT value for a used 2013. There has to be enough of a price differential to re-sell yours between it and brand new with special rates, etc. so if I needed to get out and someone was giving me that much, I would take it. Thankful for Acura resale value, aren't you? That they will always have
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Get rid of it, if it nags you now, it will forever. Doesnt sound like $ is a big issue, so make the jump!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
8th Gear

Ok, I did it. Got the x3 I was looking at. It has two years maintenance and warranty left. During that time, I'll decide if I want to buy the extended warranty or not. I ended up getting 34K trade-in on the RDX.

And thanks for the PUSH! :-)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Congrats!! Make sure you still come and spend time here with us and provide updates on the X3 and whether this was a good decision or not. The X3 is a fine looking vehicle and I hope things will work out. We are all car fanatics here on these forums and we don't see our vehicles as appliances but as something that provides us with driving enjoyment. If the RDX wasn't giving you the thrills the RDX gives us, it makes perfect sense you jumped ship.

All the best and keep us posted
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

Beach109. How much would you say an acura RDX TECH FWD 2013 with 1,300 miles trade in value would be?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels. I'm a little late to this game

I did the same as you with my crappy Subaru. Decided to go cheaper and after 3 months I couldn't take it anymore. I started shopping and after only 6 months I traded it in on my RDX, which is a good fit for me and my needs. One has to do what makes them happy provide they can afford it. I took a $4800 hit but was happy to be rid of the Subaru.

If you'd bought CPO then your warranty would have been 7 years or 100K I believe. It costs the dealer about $1500 to CPO a used car but its worth it on your end.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by climbbike
Ok, I did it. Got the x3 I was looking at. It has two years maintenance and warranty left. During that time, I'll decide if I want to buy the extended warranty or not. I ended up getting 34K trade-in on the RDX.

And thanks for the PUSH! :-)
WOW! You sound like me....40 years ago.

You did the right thing (assuming you could afford it). There's NOTHING WORSE than driving a car YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH. People used to laugh at me trading in cars after 3 or 6 months and losing $500 or $1,000. Of course cars were much cheaper back then. I bought a Lincoln Town Car for $7,000 and traded in after 2 months because it had rattles, on a BMW 2002 loaded for $4500 and I got some change. These days, with the price of cars, I keep them a little longer.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by thericker
I am not a fan of the whole X-drive system with BMW, but if it works for you go for it.
Care to elaborate? I have plenty of things to criticize about BMW's myself, but xDrive is not one of them. The system is at least on par with SH-AWD, and far superior to the the RDX's system.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Jump! Jump! Jump!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Care to elaborate? I have plenty of things to criticize about BMW's myself, but xDrive is not one of them. The system is at least on par with SH-AWD, and far superior to the the RDX's system.
Does the xDrive on the X3 have DPC ?
Without DPC (like on the X6) isn't xDrive just like the AWD on the 2G RDX (no torque vectoring)?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by ipribadi
Does the xDrive on the X3 have DPC ?
Without DPC (like on the X6) isn't xDrive just like the AWD on the 2G RDX (no torque vectoring)?
I believe all xDrives have DPC standard. Power transfers not just front and rear, but also side-to-side as needed to improve handling in all conditions. I might be an RDX owner today if Acura had offered the SH-AWD on the 2nd gen model. I'm still hoping there will be a TLX wagon with the V6 and SH-AWD, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by climbbike
I know I'm crazy but after having my new RDX Tech AWD for a couple months, I'm very disappointed and am about to trade it in for a 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35 . . .

There is so much I love about the RDX, but after driving it for a while, I've reached the conclusion that for me, it's just not FUN to drive. The way Acura tuned the car there is very little power until 3K RPM and then no real power until 4.5K+ RPM so for 90% of my normal commute driving, it feels sluggish to me. If I get it up to the 5K range, it's fantastic, but by then I'm already exceeding the speed limit . . . . no fun is everyday traffic.

I also don't know what it is with Acura's but they all seem to resist down shifting and stutter . . . when down shifting hard . . . .seems like it takes a while to settle in before power really comes on strong . . . maybe some combination of the downshift and vtec kicking in at once . . . not really sure . . . .but it results in occasional long pauses before the power comes on strong . . ..

I'm sure most people would never notice this but for me . . . argh!!!

A couple other things driving me crazy are the navigation. I can seriously not believe that a 40K car has such a HORRIBLE navigation system. You can't use it when you drive . . . eh!? It's a car . . . what's the point if I can't use it while driving . . . . okay, . . . try to enter the address with voice . . . that takes 20 MINUTES to get it right and I'm so much more distracted from the road than if my passenger or myself could have just put the address in. Also just little things like as you enter an address the letters/numbers that are no longer available are gray'ed out . . . that's great but then when you scroll, it doesn't skip them! What?! Did anyone actually try to use this navigation system after it was designed . . . .?

The last thing bothering me (though not quite as much), is the suspension is NOISY. I noticed it during the test drive but didn't think it would bother me much but dang it's noisy. The suspension soaks up the bumps perfectly and has the pefect balance between supple and firm but why does it need to be so loud while doing it . . . . And I drove two different RDX's so I know it's nothing wrong with mine but just normal . . . .

There is still a ton I love about the car too . . . . just not sure it's enough since driving experience is first and foremost for myself. I love the interior design fit and finish . . . keyless entry and ignition . . . big bright backup camera screen, comfortable ride . . . I think it's a great looking car, etc, etc.

Please somebody . . . talk some since into me!!
A few things.. keep in mind you are trading a new car for a used 2011 and the 2013 RDX is not sluggish by any means. Most magazines have it tested at 6.2 to 6.3 0-60mph range. Yes, the BMW is faster, rated around 5.5 seconds. There must be something wrong with your RDX if there is no power till 3k rpm. I honestly find the RDX barely average, because I'm used to my modified GTO performance.

Acura is not the only mfg that doesn't allow you to change the GPS while driving. There are Land Rovers that are $100k plus that don't allow it either. You do realize you can change GPS/input at any time with voice commands.

Good luck with the BMW... it will drive/handle better. Personally I wouldn't trade a new car in on a 2 yr old one.. but to each their own.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by techman707
WOW! You sound like me....40 years ago.

You did the right thing (assuming you could afford it). There's NOTHING WORSE than driving a car YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH. People used to laugh at me trading in cars after 3 or 6 months and losing $500 or $1,000. Of course cars were much cheaper back then. I bought a Lincoln Town Car for $7,000 and traded in after 2 months because it had rattles, on a BMW 2002 loaded for $4500 and I got some change. These days, with the price of cars, I keep them a little longer.
Agreed, with in reason. But in the OP case he is trading a new car in on a used one that is 2 yrs older, LOL!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Why does a $40K Acura have suspension noise like an old civic with coilovers?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Because all Acuras are just Civics with expensive seats (being sarcastic) - Sorry, couldn't resist *lol*
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
luckily I havent had any major problems like bad shocks but what does annoy me is hearing rattling from the head liner on a brand new MDX and RDX. Does anybody actually drive these cars for a couple of weeks before they decide to start selling them to "premium buyers"?