Please help! Can I get my money back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help! Can I get my money back?

My husband and I are foreigners in the US, and we purchased our first brand new Acura RDX 2 weeks ago. We were in the shop for almost 5 hours (from 4PM-9PM). We came in around 4PM and decided to purchase the car in one hour. The rest of 4 hours were waiting to get the paperwork done. I didn't understand why it could take much long time, but we were there waiting with our hungry stomach.

We told our salesman that we didn't want any package or accessories, and we believed that his manager should know this when the manager prepared the vehicle order agreement.

Today when I went through the documents and papers, I noticed that a $799 vehicle protection was added to the final price. The protection plan covers exterior paint and interior leather for five years. I was very shocked to see this because my husband and I clearly mentioned that we didn't want this protection plan.

I feel so angry right now. I understand I should have read the contracts more carefully before I signed it. But with an empty stomach, my brain didn't function very well at the end of the day.

Is there any way I can get the $799 back? I feel I was scammed to buy a protection plan I didn't need. Can car dealer refund the money?

BTW, My credit score is around 780, and this is my first time pulling out the loan. My rate is 3.57%. Is this rate reasonable in Midwest?

Thank you for reading my question. I appreciate your suggestion.

Have a good one~
Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes you can. there is a 30 day period. it will be refunded or credited depending if you financed or payed cash.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you weren't cheated, maybe just a misunderstanding. they do not get any commission for that. most of the time its a 3rd party company that covers those parts and paint not honda. look for you contract on that company, call the number. and the 799 should be refunded no questions asked.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Call the Finance manager of that dealership. Tell them you specifically did NOT want that additional equipment. Do this as soon as possible!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

Jbelite82 and Ken1997TL Thank you soooo much!!! I will call the manager tomorrow. I feel much relieved now. Thanks so much!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your debacle. Oh and congrats on your new car!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
The person handling the paperwork does receive a commission for selling any warranty or maintenance. I have had a person at Honda, who handled, our paperwork tell me that they make $1, 500 off the $3, 000 that the extended warranty costs, so I would assume that'd apply to everything else. They told me this because one of my friends is a salesperson at that location and he was hooking me up.

I hope you get your refund.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will be refunded or credited depending if you financed or payed cash.

------------------------------
Standing Upon the Peak of All DVDs --- one tree hill season 9 dvd,Earth Shaking with this Movie
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
RDXing

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have gotten a refund on an overpriced extended warranty from sneaky dealership before. Just do it asap.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jiaowo
My husband and I are foreigners in the US, and we purchased our first brand new Acura RDX 2 weeks ago. We were in the shop for almost 5 hours (from 4PM-9PM). We came in around 4PM and decided to purchase the car in one hour. The rest of 4 hours were waiting to get the paperwork done. I didn't understand why it could take much long time, but we were there waiting with our hungry stomach.

We told our salesman that we didn't want any package or accessories, and we believed that his manager should know this when the manager prepared the vehicle order agreement.

Today when I went through the documents and papers, I noticed that a $799 vehicle protection was added to the final price. The protection plan covers exterior paint and interior leather for five years. I was very shocked to see this because my husband and I clearly mentioned that we didn't want this protection plan.

I feel so angry right now. I understand I should have read the contracts more carefully before I signed it. But with an empty stomach, my brain didn't function very well at the end of the day.

Is there any way I can get the $799 back? I feel I was scammed to buy a protection plan I didn't need. Can car dealer refund the money?

BTW, My credit score is around 780, and this is my first time pulling out the loan. My rate is 3.57%. Is this rate reasonable in Midwest?

Thank you for reading my question. I appreciate your suggestion.

Have a good one~
That's their dirty strategy,they will make you wait long and before the end of the day you will just sign any paper and never ask questions coz u just wanna go home with your new car....
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you all the replies. I emailed the general manager, business manager and our salesman this morning and requested the refund. One hour after I sent out the email, our salesman called my husband and mentioned the $ 799 was a built in price, and he could't refund the money because we the total price was a discount price. We felt very furious to hear this and planned to take some legal action. However, few hours later, their general manager called and promised to refund the money. They want us to bring the original copy of protection plan back to the shop, and they will send us a check.

We have to drive 1 hour to get there. We don't want to be fooled again. Is there anything we need to aware before we go?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
All you need to know is that whatever they say regarding no refund is a lie. Make sure you get some kind of receipt noting that you'll be credited that amount.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you're going to sign a new contract, make sure the term and your monthly payment will be the same if they will cut you a refund check....If they will just deduct the protection plan on your financing make sure you're monthly payment is lower...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 203 Posts
We have to drive 1 hour to get there. We don't want to be fooled again. Is there anything we need to aware before we go?
If you have an attorney, you might want to have one of his business cards with you. Just flashing it can have a dramatic effect, and it won't cost you a penny.

I don't know what questions Acura puts on their surveys these days, but there will certainly be several regarding the dealership experience. Luxury manufacturers tend to hold their dealerships to a pretty high standard. The very threat of a really negative survey can bring a GM to his/her knees. I say "can" because I know firsthand that the threat of a bad rating doesn't always have the desired effect. Regardless of how this turns out, you need to make Acura aware of your experience.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Nail them in the survey
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
My advice is to go to your current bank or local credit union before you go to the dealer's finance guy and ask for their lowest rate possible. Then your dealer has a lower base line to beat in order to secure the financing. Your credit score is great. With a little more ground work you can get that rate down a ways. Even if you have to run your credit a couple of extra times, it can save you alot of money in the long term.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jbelite82
they do not get any commission for that. most of the time its a 3rd party company that covers those parts and paint not honda.
Seriously doubt that. Dealer markup is probably 100% so they can pocket their $400.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes

you can get your 799 back as long as it hasn't been 30 days since you've purchased the car. Your best bet is to call the finance manager of the dealership and have them help you sort it out.