Parchment vs. Black interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013 | 09:22 AM
Advanced

Parchment vs. Black interior

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and purchase a new RDX in the next week or so. I've got some questions that I haven't seen address on the forum yet (or maybe I missed?) so I'm sorry if you see a lot of new threads being opened by me.

I'm torn on the interiors.

For one the parchment interior looks like it would scuff easily.

On another hand, the black interiors looks like they would get real hot when summer's in full swing.

Any thoughts on this? What do you, as owners, think of these two interiors?

I wish they had a grey option!
Old 04-10-2013 | 09:49 AM
Intermediate

I went with the Black interior, but that's because I have dogs and do a lot of DIY home improvement things. Looking back, I think I could have gone with Parchment, but then would have needed to get the cargo liner (which does cover the side cargo areas) and all weather mats, which do a better job of lining the carpeting.

The only other issue with Parchment is time. I don't think I've ever seen an old car with light colored leather that wasn't dirty looking. Black obviously helps to hide that. It would have been nice if they offered other color choices, like a Saddle or brownish color.

I've also had a black leather car before and never had any major issues with heat. I don't see it being a problem for me now since I have a garage and usually park in a garage at work also.
Old 04-10-2013 | 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Black always looks better imo
Old 04-10-2013 | 10:25 AM
Advanced

Black all the way. If it's 97 degrees outside, your interior's going to be hot regardless of what color it is. Also, tan stains easily. Your jeans could even leave marks. Stretch marks and creases also stand out more on a tan car and make the car look older than it is.

EVERY car I've owned has had black interiors. I would have it no other way...
Old 04-10-2013 | 10:37 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

black hides dirt better. if you have kids or pets, this is the way to go. granted pet hair will stand out more, but with regular vacuuming that should be under control (or a blanket to cover the interior).

light colored interiors will show EVERYTHING. they are notorious for staining with jeans or leather jackets.

the other thing i DON'T like about the lighter interiors is the faux wood trim in the car . Black interior all the way, but that's my personal preference.
Old 04-10-2013 | 10:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
black hides dirt better. if you have kids or pets, this is the way to go. granted pet hair will stand out more, but with regular vacuuming that should be under control (or a blanket to cover the interior).

light colored interiors will show EVERYTHING. they are notorious for staining with jeans or leather jackets.

the other thing i DON'T like about the lighter interiors is the faux wood trim in the car . Black interior all the way, but that's my personal preference.
Different strokes, I reckon. Our '04 V70 and '07 XC70 had 'off black' interiors; but all three C70s had cream and our XC60, RX330, Tribute and now RDX had/have sandstone/parchment.
Old 04-10-2013 | 01:52 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yeah some people like light colored interiors. come to think of it...i'm not really into light colors in general. it's just a matter of what you like. then take the good with the bad. i had a light colored interior in one of my previous cars, and i wasn't really fan. OP- just go with whatever you like, just know what you might be getting yourself into. better yet go sit in one with a black interior then go sit in one with the parchment. which one would you rather stare at while sitting in the car for road trips and commuting?

it's like getting a black exterior. it's gorgeous when it's freshly detailed...once the dust and dirt starts to gather...ugh. not to mention swirls and scratches. yeah, i'm anal like that.
Old 04-10-2013 | 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Let me also add my name to the Black interior preference. A light color can look nice but the one I took for a test drive when I bought showed many scuffs etc. And as others have said, nothing worse than seeing the dye from your jeans transfer to your seats.

That being said, you may not have much choice...Acura has made a decision for you that if you chose certain exterior color, you will get such interior color. For me, I love a white vehicle (and I am even more anal than ^^) but in the US, I couldn't one with a back interior. For me, a white exterior is a must so if I was American, I'd be stuck driving a TAN interior (unless I switched brand of course)
Old 04-10-2013 | 06:57 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback folks. I know this is really a personal choice but I am happy to have read your opinions. Black it will be.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013 | 07:44 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by weather
Let me also add my name to the Black interior preference. A light color can look nice but the one I took for a test drive when I bought showed many scuffs etc. And as others have said, nothing worse than seeing the dye from your jeans transfer to your seats.

That being said, you may not have much choice...Acura has made a decision for you that if you chose certain exterior color, you will get such interior color. For me, I love a white vehicle (and I am even more anal than ^^) but in the US, I couldn't one with a back interior. For me, a white exterior is a must so if I was American, I'd be stuck driving a TAN interior (unless I switched brand of course)
yeah...weather is anal...he's about a notch above me since i won't go diving under the car to scrub the undercarriage.

folks in the US can get white on black...as a special order.
Old 04-10-2013 | 07:52 PM
Racer

Do you know how to get a special order placed? I was told by three different dealerships that they tried and it cannot be done.
Old 04-10-2013 | 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

WHAT?!?!? Really? I thought you could not a White exterior with a black interior...period What is a special order? You mean just as a custom order....but given how many would like that combo, if its orderable (if that is a word) then why not do it?

...and as far as my anal'ness....I concede and admit my OCD.
Old 04-10-2013 | 07:56 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^i'm not sure. i know randomly when i was shopping around for my MDX a few years ago...the white on black was not available. the sales guy sent me a link to the white on black combo...completely configured to what i wanted. of course then i decided to go used vs new at the time. even in the 3G TLs the combo was not available until later, but i believe there were a few that had been special ordered that way.

i may have to ask some of the guys at my dealer...just out of my own curiosity, next time i'm over there.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-10-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2013 | 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ That is interesting.....I am just curious if these would be "rejects" sort of things, maybe cars that accidentally got configured incorrectly and rather than trashing them, they offer them as a "special" package? Anyway, I would love to hear what the delaer would say...I know you have a great rapport with them and I am sure they could shed some light on the matter Keep us posted
Old 04-11-2013 | 06:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^perhaps they just take them from canada?
Old 04-11-2013 | 06:54 AM
Advanced

^^perhaps they just take them from canada?
Somehow the song "Blame Canada" has gotten into my head and refuses to leave.

lol
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^
Old 04-11-2013 | 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah...weather is anal...he's about a notch above me since i won't go diving under the car to scrub the undercarriage.

Diving under the car to scrub the undercarriage is anal? Since when?
Old 04-11-2013 | 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sose
Somehow the song "Blame Canada" has gotten into my head and refuses to leave.

I though we only got blamed on the shitty weather.....

lol
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Diving under the car to scrub the undercarriage is anal? Since when?
I am glad to see I am not the one sliding under a car to give it a good scrubbing *lol* Or maybe its a Canadian eh?! TLtrigirl knows and we have a good rapport, she likes to give me a hard about my anal'ness but its all in good fun. She and I both know that she has her own obsessions...right TLtrigirl
Old 04-11-2013 | 06:26 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^ maybe it is a canadian thing...
Old 05-31-2013 | 09:44 AM
Advanced

I'm coming in late, but having owned 3 other newer Acuras (2011s & 2012s) with black interiors I thought the black interior on the RDX looked "cheaper" and "not as nice" as the RDX with parchment. It persuaded us to purchase our first car ever with a tan interior.
Old 05-31-2013 | 10:26 AM
Advanced

As long as you clean the parchment on a regular basis, you won't get the ground in dirt, that makes it look prematurely old, maintenance is the key on light leather.
Old 05-31-2013 | 10:30 AM
Advanced

I tend to like the look of parchment better, especially if it has the wood trim, however, living in Chicago with all of the salt and snow and mud, anything but black tends to be unmaintainable.
Old 05-31-2013 | 11:01 AM
Advanced

I have used Leatherique with great success on leather interiors, it consists of a rejuvenator Oil and Pristene clean. The key is to do it frequently before the dirt gets ground into the leather.
Old 05-31-2013 | 11:55 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I've never had as much issue with the actual leather as with the carpet. Even with all weather mats some of the gunk invariably ends up on the carpet, and it's tough to get out even if you attend to it quickly in my experience.
Old 05-31-2013 | 01:00 PM
Instructor

Our white RDX has the parchment interior and it's the first non black interior car I have owned. It makes the car feel more open than all black. We'll see how it holds up. So far it have a whopping 700 miles on the car and it all looks good so far!
Old 06-01-2013 | 11:57 AM
Instructor

After 14 months, the parchment still looks new. Dark jeans do have a tendency to transfer color, but it comes right off with regular cleaning and conditioning. The tan Weathertech mats make the cockpit feel very light and airy, and keep the carpets underneath well protected.

The only thing I've noticed is the kick panel and door panel get scuffed by shoes, but again, regular cleaning and conditioning take care of it.
Old 06-01-2013 | 09:48 PM
Advanced

I wanted to get a black interior but it depends upon the color of the exterior. I didn't have a choice in the interior color with the Kona Coffee Metallic, but I couldn't imagine anything darker in the car. Graphite Luster Metallic comes in both interior colors, but the black interior just looked cheap as Cagilber stated.
Old 06-01-2013 | 10:01 PM
Drifting

To me the black interior is the only one I would consider. It is just richer looking. Again a personal preference.
Old 06-01-2013 | 11:23 PM
Instructor

Parchment for me!
But yes it's more maintenance.
I wish they had an amber or chocolate color.

It's not the lightness makes the tan look good (IMO), it's the two tone color scheme. I have all weather mats and the two tone (plus wood accents in my case) makes things look really rich.
The all black interior looks sleek, but it's a bit too monotone sea of black for me, especially in the back seats.
Old 06-02-2013 | 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

We just got a 2014 RDX, white with Parchment. I would have to agree the two tone color scheme is great. I also have the all weather mats. I think the black is to dark There is no contrast...
Old 06-07-2013 | 11:15 AM
Intermediate

If you like to wear jeans then stay away from parchment because your seats will turn blue. i tried everything on my TL including dealer cleaning and could never get them back to looking like new. i got ride of the car after a year and half becuase i was so frustrated. I have black on black now and love it.
Old 06-08-2013 | 05:46 PM
Advanced

Don't wear jeans much and am over one year with my parchment. Am very happy with it. Still looks new.
Old 06-17-2013 | 12:07 PM
10th Gear

Well, you can always get seat covers. But I have read where Americans are notorious for not maintaining leather seats. Just need to use a good cleaner and conditioner every few months. Black to me is much too monochromatic and makes the interior look cramped. The light color opens up the entire cabin. I do agree that Acura should offer more options, perhaps at an add-on price, for the interior colors. BMW lets you build their cars with lots of color combinations. I just spec'd out a 2014 320i with a light blue exterior and red leather interior, special order, built in Germany, for $31K. So, it is pretty obvious that Acura could offer more at $40K.
Old 06-19-2013 | 12:51 AM
Summer is Coming

Acura needs a camel color leather. Black is way too hot here in this part of the country. I've had a grey leather interior for 7 years now and no blue transfer from my jeans.

Originally Posted by weather
I am glad to see I am not the one sliding under a car to give it a good scrubbing *lol* Or maybe its a Canadian eh?! TLtrigirl knows and we have a good rapport, she likes to give me a hard about my anal'ness but its all in good fun. She and I both know that she has her own obsessions...right TLtrigirl
Aren't you building in-ground under body sprayers into your new garage?
Old 06-19-2013 | 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ That is not a bad idea although using the hoist will enable me easy access to the underbody
Old 06-25-2013 | 11:21 AM
Intermediate

My 2005 Acura TSX has Quartz interior (silver/gray). I really like it because it doesn't get hot in the summer but it's not too light. Parchment though seems too light. I'll have to go to black but not looking forward to burnt legs in the summer..
Old 06-25-2013 | 08:50 PM
Intermediate

As others mentioned, the all black interior doesn't feel as "luxury" as the two-tone. I agree though that with the tan you'll just have to keep up with it. I'm notoriously bad about that so I will need to change.
Old 06-25-2013 | 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Can anyone recommend a good leather treatment and cleaner product that isn't harsh?