New to me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New to me...

Wow. What a difference from going from an 05 TL w/ navi to the 14 RDX Tech AWD. And the "wow factor" comes to me not in a good way. It's not the RDX itself; it's just that I didn't get the same giddy, excited feeling when I picked up the RDX, versus in 05 with the TL. Actually, no comparison probably because the TL was exciting at the time and now I'm rolling in something that looks like every other SUV on the road (low end to high).

I've only had the RDX since December 19 and so far it is living up to the reason I purchased it - to drive in inclement weather (and for our golf clubs and Costco trips - LOL). I'm not complaining about my new ride; I'm still trying to get to know it. And I'm sure in time, I will come to love it as I did the TL (or maybe not). At the end of the day, I have always wanted the fully loaded MDX; I just didn't want the price tag that came along with it. And the new (13+) RDX could still provide me with what I wanted, just minus the MDX's dual screen and additional bells and whistles. That could also play a factor as to why I am not that excited about the RDX.

Then probably the worse thing that I could do is read consumer reviews AFTER I purchased the vehicle. So many complaints and dislikes from folks. I personally like the RDX styling (as bland as it is) and interior - it's basically why I've owned Honda's since the 90's.

Having said that - I'd like to know why YOU bought the RDX and what your impression has been since taking ownership (or Lease). I'd appreciate hearing your feedback. Give me reasons to love (not like) the RDX - at least for 60 months! LOL. ;-)

Thanks in advance for your time!v
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
KJW....It is difficult to feel as passionate about an SUV/CUV compared to a sports sedan. As you stated, the RDX is a great vehicle and does alot of things well BUT, it doesn't really excel at anything. That is why many people buy SUVs. Most people aren't passionate about their vehicles and SUV/CUVs cater to those people very well....they are functional.

A TL will stir up emotion, passion, give drivers a rush of adrenaline (especially the new SH-AWD) but they will never give you the cargo capacity, the higher ride, the safer feeling in inclement weather (although the SH-AWD is great, it misses the ground clearing).

For me, the RDX is not my main ride...I have the TL SH-AWD for the passionate drive and that rush I crave while the RDX is the vehicle that is relaxing and enjoyable to drive. The RDX is a GREAT vehicle and as many vehicles, its not perfect but its one of the better ones out there as far as powertrain and reliability. Just don't get upset by what you read online, enjoy the RDX and don't second doubt your purchase. As you said, the more you drive it, the more you will appreciate its virtue and you will find it hard to live without an SUV again....the best way is to have a car and an SUV if you can. Just don't ever think that the RDX will provide you the same rush as the TL....

It would be like trying to compare dating Pamela Anderson versus the girl next door....they both have different purposes *lol* (didn't want to sound sexist here, just put an analogy that guys will understand)
The following users liked this post:
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have owned several Acura vehicles from a 93 Integra; two, 02 TL-S' w/NAV; 07 RL Tech; and now the RDX. They were all good, bad, and different in their own ways, and I try to concentrate on the good of each. I was a bit leery about the RDX's AWD system, compared to the SH-AWD I had in the RL. However, the RDX performs just as well as my RL, and the gas mileage is also better. I, too, was not very excited abut the RDX. It felt like a step down from the RL in many ways. However, after giving it some time, now I appreciate the "pro's" of the RDX.

Give it some time, and if you still don't love it, get rid of it!
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

@Weather: My hubby REALLY wanted to keep the TL as his own, but I needed it for the trade in. We would have loved to keep it in addition to the RDX. LOL re: Pam Anderson dating comparison. ;-)

@Phantom: I feel you on the downgrade comment. That's pretty much how I felt and I too have been trying to focus on the good about the RDX (like for starters, my ride is no longer eight years old, I still have same amount of hp, and I now have AWD). :-) BTW - I really like the color of your RDX!

I've only driven my new RDX, maybe five times since 12/19. LOL. Maybe I'm just not feeling the "connection" because I've barely driven it? Who knows. Nevertheless - - I look forward to driving my RDX all weekend. Need me to pick up your groceries? Drop your neighbor off at the mall? Whatever it takes... I'll be driving! LOL. ;-)

Thanks again! I really do appreciate both of you sharing your feedback; it's nice to hear from owners that actually like their vehicle.

Last edited by KJW73; 01-03-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Too much info! ;-)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I enjoy this car more and more every day, especially after discarding the rear shocks in favor of a noise free pair of aftermarket replacement shocks.
The car (I don't consider it a truck) has a solid confident feel to it under a variety of driving conditions from extreme winter to extreme summer conditions. Starts well, heats up quickly and conversely keeps the interior cool on hot summer days, has a decent stereo and comfortable seats.
What are you complaining for, its' a crossover for Pete's sake, not a sports car! Enjoy it for what it is.
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

@hand-filer - Thank you! Nice car you have, too. ;-)

I do plan to enjoy it, love it and be proud of my purchase. I imagine that I'm just going through a separation anxiety with the TL. LOL. Might sound silly, but dang I loved that car like no other. Have a great weekend!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I enjoy this car more and more every day...
I feel the same way. Right size, smooth, quiet and handles great whether on twisty roads or the highway. I'd change the way some of the features work if I could, but as far as the vehicle itself, it's a winner.

Originally Posted by KJW73
I imagine that I'm just going through a separation anxiety...
I know what you mean. I traded a trusty old Highlander with almost 200,000 miles - it fit like a glove.

But there is no doubt I traded up.

Last edited by davisinla; 01-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
The TL is a classic, no doubt; but I don't think I could fit my Cannondale 29er(size Med) in it without removing the front wheel! I CAN do that with the RDX...and move along briskly...and get decent gas mileage...AND hear how DW loves the sound system, heated seats, visibility, etc., etc.

It's a horrible place to be in...leaving one near luxury vehicle for a new one. Since 2000, we've owned over a half dozen really nice Volvos, a Lexus RX and now the RDX...didn't DISlike any of them; but the RDX is not a 'better' vehicle...just different. IF you don't take advantage of the utility of the RDX, it may well be a lasting disappointment. However, I have a feeling there will be many, many times you think to yourself..."I couldn't do 'this' in the TL". Also, think of those shiny new tires and all that warranty you have surrounding you now
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I came from a 10 TL - SH-AWD- Tech, and I am much happier with the RDX for room and height. I do not miss the TL one bit. It was small, limited space, especially the trunk and back seat, but man it motored. That said, the RDX is plenty fast and way better on gas.
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I dunno I drive a CL-S and I drove the '14 model earlier this year when they fixed my car and to me at least it was a blast to drive. The V6 makes all the difference in the world. Compared to the old RDX, it is much nicer and rides a lot better (read not so harsh) Don't be worried about missing your TL too much, put your foot down and then you will know why this small SUV is fun. Keep your foot out of it and you will enjoy similar mileage to your TL
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I've owned many Acuras and the new RDX is the best so far. I traded a 2011 RDX with the intent of buying a "car" and after considering the ATS and CTS and the TL, it took one ride in the 2014 RDX to change my mind. It's fast (same 0-60 time as the Regal GS I also considered) and comfortable and relatively smooth riding. Give it a chance, according to Consumer Reports almost 75% of RDX owners would buy it again.
KJW73 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
I've owned many Acuras and the new RDX is the best so far. I traded a 2011 RDX with the intent of buying a "car" and after considering the ATS and CTS and the TL, it took one ride in the 2014 RDX to change my mind. It's fast (same 0-60 time as the Regal GS I also considered) and comfortable and relatively smooth riding. Give it a chance, according to Consumer Reports almost 75% of RDX owners would buy it again.
Interesting. My Wife has a 2011 RDX which I really like and wanted to keep it for 10 years. That said, the 14 is so much better I am seriously thinking of trading it in. But 2 RDXs may be too much.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Thought that I would post an update after a few more drives in the RDX. It is definitely growing on me and I really, really do like it. I really do. And overall - based on the whole 610 miles that I have on it - all is good in the hood, under the hood, and is clearly serving its purpose. The first Costco trip was concluded with ease; love, love, love the cargo space and entry. And it seems to roll through the snow and slush with ease, also.

Only downside for me is that I wish that I could drive it as a daily commuter, but I have a work vehicle (so the RDX sits pretty in my driveway). It just doesn't make much sense to drive the RDX to work, only to have it inevitably dinged by another driver in the parking garage (...doesn't matter if I'd park on the top floor, in the most undesirable spot... the "dingers" will find me! LOL). So, to this point the RDX has been a weekend or evening driver; other than a few inclement weather days that my husband drove it to work.

And lastly, as bizarre as this might sound... I also think that I'm feeling better about the RDX knowing that my TL is no longer listed on the dealers website for sale (it was listed for two weeks) - so it's now someone else's "baby". And funny enough, my coworker cannot understand my attachment to the TL (actually she doesn't understand/grasp the attachment to a car at all - she doesn't get it - and that is ok. LOL). I was freaking in love with that car. I babied it. I loved it. Okay, I get it though - enough about the TL and time to give my RDX the same kind of lovin'.

And speaking of the TL... So long, huh? Hellooooooooooooooo TLX.

Again, thanks for the shared insight posts above.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Thought that I would post an update after a few more drives in the RDX. It is definitely growing on me and I really, really do like it. I really do. And overall - based on the whole 610 miles that I have on it - all is good in the hood, under the hood, and is clearly serving its purpose. The first Costco trip was concluded with ease; love, love, love the cargo space and entry. And it seems to roll through the snow and slush with ease, also.

Only downside for me is that I wish that I could drive it as a daily commuter, but I have a work vehicle (so the RDX sits pretty in my driveway). It just doesn't make much sense to drive the RDX to work, only to have it inevitably dinged by another driver in the parking garage (...doesn't matter if I'd park on the top floor, in the most undesirable spot... the "dingers" will find me! LOL). So, to this point the RDX has been a weekend or evening driver; other than a few inclement weather days that my husband drove it to work.

And lastly, as bizarre as this might sound... I also think that I'm feeling better about the RDX knowing that my TL is no longer listed on the dealers website for sale (it was listed for two weeks) - so it's now someone else's "baby". And funny enough, my coworker cannot understand my attachment to the TL (actually she doesn't understand/grasp the attachment to a car at all - she doesn't get it - and that is ok. LOL). I was freaking in love with that car. I babied it. I loved it. Okay, I get it though - enough about the TL and time to give my RDX the same kind of lovin'.

And speaking of the TL... So long, huh? Hellooooooooooooooo TLX.

Again, thanks for the shared insight posts above.
Glad you gave it a chance and now love it!
KJW73 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Please don't misunderstand me… Like I've been saying, I really do like my RDX. But, after reading this...

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/blo...for-tl-tsx.htm

…I realize that the feeling I get thinking about this car, is the one I was looking for with the RDX. I know I won't trade in ANY time soon (heck - I haven't even made the first payment yet! LOL)… but I guarantee that it'll be my next car. ;-)
Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like driving the RDX a lot..but in hindsight I think if I had purchased the Audi Q5 or BMW X3, I probably would have a better 5 yr residual. sure higher price..

I don't know why but so many people I talk to just say Acura's are glorified Hondas..whereas they won't say the same about Lexus
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I am sure you can get a nice V8 in a Lexus, something Honda refuses to do for Acura... IMHO that has a lot to do with it. (GS 460 for example has a 301hp V8 with a nice healthy application of torque at 329ft/lb). While V6 are smooth as butter, they got nothing on the sweet silky smoothness of a V8...
Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by DealsAllTheWay
I like driving the RDX a lot..but in hindsight I think if I had purchased the Audi Q5 or BMW X3, I probably would have a better 5 yr residual. sure higher price..

I don't know why but so many people I talk to just say Acura's are glorified Hondas..whereas they won't say the same about Lexus
I doubt the Q5 or X3 will have a higher residual than an RDX.

Acura is a glorified Honda because there's a very blurred line separating the two brands. The price point also further blur the difference because it's not as a great of a gap as the Lexus/Toyota.

Unless brand and status is a top priority to you, and you like you don't like your Acura, there's no reason to worry about what people say about Acura being a glorified Honda. Matte of fact, I think I am going to tell people I dive a Honda instead of Acura. :wink:
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

^If they offered a V6 in a CRV, I'd hit it
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
^If they offered a V6 in a CRV, I'd hit it
They do, it's called the RDX. :wink:
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thephantom
They do, it's called the RDX. :wink:
yes I know what an rdx is....
Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by thephantom
I doubt the Q5 or X3 will have a higher residual than an RDX.

Acura is a glorified Honda because there's a very blurred line separating the two brands. The price point also further blur the difference because it's not as a great of a gap as the Lexus/Toyota.

Unless brand and status is a top priority to you, and you like you don't like your Acura, there's no reason to worry about what people say about Acura being a glorified Honda. Matte of fact, I think I am going to tell people I dive a Honda instead of Acura. :wink:
LOL and so true.

It does bring up a funny topic, though. Thinking about it, I have friends that drive MB, Infinity, BMW, etc. (I'd also like to include Toyota, Ford,Hyundai....), most, if not all are around the RDX fully loaded price range -- yet, even though they may like my Acura(s), I don't think my ride is ever considered by any of them as a "threat" (or whatever you want to call it). I really don't care what anyone thinks of my Acura; it IS a glorified Honda and I'm all good with that. I can say that every "Honda" I have owned (including my first which was a used del Sol) were all reliable and I never had any mechanical issues (and now I hope I didn't jinx myself!). That's why I upgraded to Acura from Honda. Guess you could call me a Honda kinda gal.

Love it for what it is or don't buy it (is my philosophy)...

Last edited by KJW73; 01-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Drifting

LOL and so true.

It does bring up a funny topic, though. Thinking about it, I have friends that drive MB, Infinity, BMW, etc. (I'd also like to include Toyota, Ford,Hyundai....), most, if not all are around the RDX fully loaded price range -- yet, even though they may like my Acura(s), I don't think my ride is ever considered by any of them as a "threat" (or whatever you want to call it). I really don't care what anyone thinks of my Acura; it IS a glorified Honda and I'm all good with that. I can say that every "Honda" I have owned (including my first which was a used del Sol) were all reliable and I never had any mechanical issues (and now I hope I didn't jinx myself!). That's why I upgraded to Acura from Honda. Guess you could call me a Honda kinda gal.

Love it for what it is or don't buy it (is my philosophy)...
I think you will find for the same content level, a MB,BMW and Audi would be much more costly, but not in the same class. For instance my friend has a Q5, and it is much more upscale than my RDX, but for the $10K Canadian cost difference with a much rougher turbo I4, The Acura is for me.
KJW73 (01-17-2014)