My 2013 RDX is Home

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't understand why Acura can't just put a thicker steering wheel on the car standard? I had to upgrade the wheel on my '05 RL and it was well worth it.

I totally agree with Napoleon on the accessory wood trim. Just doesn't have the quality matching the price and it looks out of place on the RDX.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Different strokes for different folks I guess...The wood looks great and isn't too glossy. My favorite wood option is the shift knob.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the wood on the steering wheel get hot in the summer? I would think that the sun beating down on the wheel, the wood trim would get hotter to the touch than the leather.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
It's so hot down here in South Texas everyone uses windshield shades. I doubt I'll ever experience the wood trim on the steering wheel heating up.

I have been considering doing Lumar Air 80 ceramic film on the windshield and back windows to help mitigate the heat and protect from UV rays. I already have the front windows tinted with Lumar ceramic tint and it does a great job at reducing the heat.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
There are actually three wood trim options. Simple wood trim, which I have, steering wheel trim and shift knob trim. I thought the steering wheel and shift knob were a little over done.

Regards, Jim
Hawkeye,

I also live in Utah (Park City) and bought my RDX from JW down in SLC. Is that where you bought your wood package and if so, can I ask what it cost? I like your idea of leaving the steering wheel and shifter OEM.

I've heard pros and cons of real wood? You must be comfortable with the real wood decision. Actually don't take delivery until next week sometime so I might just ask them to do the woody before I take the car home.

Regards...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by TBC787
Hawkeye,

I also live in Utah (Park City) and bought my RDX from JW down in SLC. Is that where you bought your wood package and if so, can I ask what it cost? I like your idea of leaving the steering wheel and shifter OEM.

I've heard pros and cons of real wood? You must be comfortable with the real wood decision. Actually don't take delivery until next week sometime so I might just ask them to do the woody before I take the car home.

Regards...
It is not real wood. It is a simulated wood grain appliqué made of plastic. It is high quality and will wear as good as the trim it covers up so if you like the look and don't mind paying the cost go for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TBC787
Hawkeye,

Regards...
Yes, I bought my RDX from JW in SLC. I paid $317 last May when all dealers were charging full retail. You should be able to get it for less now. I really like the trim. I think it finishes off the interior very nicely.

Good luck, Jim
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks great! Congrats!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardjjr
It's so hot down here in South Texas everyone uses windshield shades. I doubt I'll ever experience the wood trim on the steering wheel heating up.

I have been considering doing Lumar Air 80 ceramic film on the windshield and back windows to help mitigate the heat and protect from UV rays. I already have the front windows tinted with Lumar ceramic tint and it does a great job at reducing the heat.
I have Llumar Air Blue 80 on my windshield and it does help. It cuts down on the heat and glare. I just recently had the car inspected and it was no problem. They did damage the tint slightly when they removed the old sticker. I need to take a razor to it and clean it up. Just have the installer cut out the drivers bottom corner to allow for the inspection and registration sticker. I also had to replace my TXTag. The old one was damaged and could not be reused. But the new one works just fine through the tint. I will do this with my next new car and save a few years of sun damage to the inside. Llumar has a new UV film for car windows that is clear. The Air Blue 80 is very very slightly tinted but you can hardly tell it is there. But if you want completely clear, now you can get that too.

http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoUltravioletProtection.aspx
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a white/taupe 2013 RDX with Tech Pkg and had the wood trim installed. It looks great IMO. I was advised against doing it myself because of the high tack adhesive can get you in trouble pretty fast. I did buy the wood shift knob on eBay and installed it ..... simple. They have directions on publication BLL 13461 that gives more detail than needed. Love the car. It is a giant leap from our 2009 RDX.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I am in the final stages of purchasing a '14 with parchment interior and wood (basic) ..above the glove box, somewhere around the shifter, and below the instrument panel....it looks amazing with the parchment, not overdone, just right, it's what sealed the deal for me. I wasn't even sure I was going to buy a newer vehicle, until I saw it and kinda fell in love. Maybe will post pics once its in my driveway.
Sorry to reply on a very old thread.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to the RDX world fellow GTA owner!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey thanks fellow GTA dweller. Sealed the deal this afternoon at Sherway Acura. While the sales guy was "talking to the manager" during the negotiation process, (they were probably just talking about my hair or something) some guy in the waiting area was telling me all about his son who has a '16 RDX with all sorts of problems...ugh...I quickly decided, in order to preserve my sanity, to assume his son just got a lemon, I already know most RDX owners are happy, thanks to forums like this) I should have it in my driveway this Saturday. Now, to sell my 11 year old Murano. I will be sad to see it go, I really liked that buggy.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
some guy in the waiting area was telling me all about his son who has a '16 RDX with all sorts of problems...ugh...I quickly decided, in order to preserve my sanity, to assume his son just got a lemon, I already know most RDX owners are happy, thanks to forums like this) I should have it in my driveway this Saturday.
CR just came out and still has the recommended check next to the RDX (and the MDX, the only two Acuras on the list). Overall, better than average reliability and owner satisfaction. I'd agree that that guy's son either got a lemon, or it was one of those bizarre issues that cause people to complain a lot, even though it may come down to one issue. You never know. Amazing when you go to forums and read about vehicles. Very few people complaining about the RDX, versus what you see on other vehicles, and the RDX is the second best Acura seller, just behind the MDX. Tells me that they are overall quite well made and reliable.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobiewah
CR just came out and still has the recommended check next to the RDX (and the MDX, the only two Acuras on the list). Overall, better than average reliability and owner satisfaction. I'd agree that that guy's son either got a lemon, or it was one of those bizarre issues that cause people to complain a lot, even though it may come down to one issue. You never know. Amazing when you go to forums and read about vehicles. Very few people complaining about the RDX, versus what you see on other vehicles, and the RDX is the second best Acura seller, just behind the MDX. Tells me that they are overall quite well made and reliable.
I was one of those people as the first couple of months were pretty bad with my '16 Advance. It is doing much better now other than the glitchy touch door handles which seem to have a mind of their own.