mid July..90 degrees...let's talk winter tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
mid July..90 degrees...let's talk winter tires...

Odd time for this thread, but I'd noticed some service specials at my dealer on free mounting and balancing if you buy four new tires. I got the accessory wheels, so I have a second set of rims...and the plan had been to do snow tires later in the year...so I've started looking into snow tires a little early..

Looked at Tire Rack, Blizzak DM-V1's are available in our size, and Michelin Lattitude Z-Ice Xi2's are also available, which the Tire Rack folks said is a new model. $165 and 199 respectively. Had always heard good things on Blizzaks, wondering if folks have general experiences, (know it is vry unlikely anyone is running a 2013 with snow tires yet...), good or bad, with either brand or model. Also curious since the price differential is not insubstantial -- an extra $140 for the Michelin's.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 186 Posts
I've owned no less than six sets of Blizzaks over the years and have always found them to be exceptional performers in the white stuff. I'm currently running WS-70's on my Forester and while performance is impressive, the ride is a little rougher than I'd like. They also feel a little squirmy on dry roads, which isn't all that unusual for winter treads. So when shopping for winters for our Q5 last year I decided to try something different. I narrowed my choices down to the Michelin Latitude Alpin, Michelin X-Ice, or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV. After extensive research, I decided to roll the dice on the Hakkas. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of them, but I was very pleased with my choice. The Hakkas simply work in the snow and don't give up as much as I expected in the dry and wet. They're classified as low rolling resistance tires, although I did notice a small drop in fuel economy. (More likely colder temps than the tires.) Inventories tend to be lean, so if you're considering them don't wait too late to purchase.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta+R+SUV

Last edited by HotRodW; 07-25-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Odd time for this thread, but I'd noticed some service specials at my dealer on free mounting and balancing if you buy four new tires. I got the accessory wheels, so I have a second set of rims...and the plan had been to do snow tires later in the year...so I've started looking into snow tires a little early..

Looked at Tire Rack, Blizzak DM-V1's are available in our size, and Michelin Lattitude Z-Ice Xi2's are also available, which the Tire Rack folks said is a new model. $165 and 199 respectively. Had always heard good things on Blizzaks, wondering if folks have general experiences, (know it is vry unlikely anyone is running a 2013 with snow tires yet...), good or bad, with either brand or model. Also curious since the price differential is not insubstantial -- an extra $140 for the Michelin's.
Scully, I rather talk about how the RDX's A/C could be a bit better to combat this 100 degree weather we have and why there aren't any rear air vents. Alas, winter is still too far away. Sorry, I am afraid that I have done little to answer your query.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the RDX know how to "learn" a new set of TPMS sensors when you swap in a new set of wheels? Or do you have to go to the dealer to program them back and forth?

Following Acura philosophy, it will probably freak out lights up everything and lock out the transmission when it couldn't find the previous TPMS sensors
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MGP999
Scully, I rather talk about how the RDX's A/C could be a bit better to combat this 100 degree weather we have and why there aren't any rear air vents. Alas, winter is still too far away. Sorry, I am afraid that I have done little to answer your query.
Have you checked if there are vents under the front seats blowing at the back at all?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXAWD
Does the RDX know how to "learn" a new set of TPMS sensors when you swap in a new set of wheels? Or do you have to go to the dealer to program them back and forth?

Following Acura philosophy, it will probably freak out lights up everything and lock out the transmission when it couldn't find the previous TPMS sensors
The 2013 RDX will recognize the new sensors without any intervention. The way all cars should be.
The following users liked this post:
Sculldog3 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Racer

Actually wondered what would happen, planning on doing the swaps in my driveway year to year. Good to hear the system will adjust automatically! On a related note, what do folks recommend in terms of a lug nut socket? Have seen some online that have a plastic coating on the outside to prevent accidental dings to the rims, what about for the lug nuts themselves?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Actually wondered what would happen, planning on doing the swaps in my driveway year to year. Good to hear the system will adjust automatically! On a related note, what do folks recommend in terms of a lug nut socket? Have seen some online that have a plastic coating on the outside to prevent accidental dings to the rims, what about for the lug nuts themselves?
You are right, all cars should do this but some cars need the dealer computer to reprogram. Some people just put up with the warning over winter.

You would only need the special lug nut socket if you are using an impact wrench. If you are scratching up your rims using hand tools, step away from your vehicle.

It's about $30 from Habor freight and it comes in various sizes.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXAWD
Have you checked if there are vents under the front seats blowing at the back at all?
I wasn't aware of the front seat vents, I will have to check when it pick it up tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For winter tires the narrower the tire the better. I've never used anything above a 17" wheel for snow tires. 18" snow tires are also significantly more pricy than 17" or 16" snow tires.

Anyone know if 17" wheels will fit on the RDX? I had a VW R32 and 17" was as small as could fit over the beefy brake calipers.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Racer

Hmmm...problem is that I have the original rims that came with the car, and the stock tires are now mounted on the accessory rims. Wheel wells in fact look almost a little empty even with the 18"'ers, so not sure how this would look with 17"s...nor do I want to get a third set of rims.

Appears per Tire Rack that a 225/60R18 is an alternative size, slightly narrower, guessing that would still mount ok on the stock rims? Odd though that the tires available change - Michelin Xi2 vs Xi3, and no Blizzak DM-V1. I understand that narrower is better on the tires in snow conditions, I think for me the value of the dedicated winter tires is shorter distances and more confidence in stopping on potentially slick/icy/slushy roads, not so much powering through deep snow. Had four dedicated winter tires on my last FWD car, and they did seem to help in this area. Although if last winter is any indication of things to come, maybe none of us will need winter tires or AWD!!

In any event, lots of time to consider options!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 186 Posts
Hmmm...problem is that I have the original rims that came with the car, and the stock tires are now mounted on the accessory rims. Wheel wells in fact look almost a little empty even with the 18"'ers, so not sure how this would look with 17"s...nor do I want to get a third set of rims.

Appears per Tire Rack that a 225/60R18 is an alternative size, slightly narrower, guessing that would still mount ok on the stock rims? Odd though that the tires available change - Michelin Xi2 vs Xi3, and no Blizzak DM-V1. I understand that narrower is better on the tires in snow conditions, I think for me the value of the dedicated winter tires is shorter distances and more confidence in stopping on potentially slick/icy/slushy roads, not so much powering through deep snow. Had four dedicated winter tires on my last FWD car, and they did seem to help in this area. Although if last winter is any indication of things to come, maybe none of us will need winter tires or AWD!!

In any event, lots of time to consider options!
I agree that it wouldn't make sense to change wheel diameters since you already have the standard 18" wheels available. Just buy winter tires with the attributes you're looking for in the stock size and forget about it. The 225/60/18's you mentioned above would work, but the overall tire diameter would be smaller causing your speedometer to read incorrectly. 17" tires would be less expensive, and they'd provide the added benefit of weighing less. But depending on the tire size the width may not change much. As a rule, downsizing wheel diameters will result in a better ride, but will do so at the expense of dry handling and braking.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I have a set of the Blizzak's DM-V1 that I used on my Rav4 that will fit on the RDX (only used 1 winter on the RAV4)....they are the 17 inches but don't have the exact size in front of me at the moment. I'll provide later but I had checked with the dealer and they will fit on the RDX and so will the steel rims they gave me (and the TPMS) sensors.....

I will say this...these Blizzak were AMAZING on the RAV, extremely grippy while providing a great ride quality, not rough, not loud or anything! Now Although I will use them this winter, it will mainly be for the dry winter roads and just preserve my rims from the powered salt as I am not planning on subjecting the RDX to the element like the RAV4 was (although originally, that was the plan)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I have a set of the Blizzak's DM-V1 that I used on my Rav4 that will fit on the RDX (only used 1 winter on the RAV4)....they are the 17 inches but don't have the exact size in front of me at the moment. I'll provide later but I had checked with the dealer and they will fit on the RDX and so will the steel rims they gave me (and the TPMS) sensors.....

I will say this...these Blizzak were AMAZING on the RAV, extremely grippy while providing a great ride quality, not rough, not loud or anything! Now Although I will use them this winter, it will mainly be for the dry winter roads and just preserve my rims from the powered salt as I am not planning on subjecting the RDX to the element like the RAV4 was (although originally, that was the plan)
To clarify, you are saying you are using the winter set of Blizzak DM-V1 tires from the RAV4 only and steel 17" wheels and TPMS sensors supplied by your Acura dealer, correct?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Suzuka Master

GRDX...That is correct...the dealership supplied me with 4 Acura steel rims (with tpms) and I have kept the Blizzak DM-V1 that were mounted on the 17 inches steel rims from Toyota. When I got rid of my RAV4, I also got rid of the Toyota steel rims. I will now mount the rubber on the Acura rims (with their sensors) onto the RDX in the fall/early winter.

Thanks for the clarification...I should try and re-read my posts before hitting the submit button *lol*

Last edited by weather; 07-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know of 18" steel rims that will fit?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've not seen an 18" steelie before. But, I have seen cheap 18" alloy rims on Tire Rack for $100/rim (clearance).
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Yeah. Would rather steel for Winter due to the salt eating the alloy. Haven't seen them either yet.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Now, I've seen 16 and 17 steelies. Maybe that could be a possibility for you?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Steel wheels are getting harder to find. The best thing is to just order them from Tirerack. I have always ordered my winter wheel packages from them. I always get a narrow tire. The Blizzaks are the winter tires in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Instructor

They don't have 18" on tire rack.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree with jspagna1....I have 17" steel rims with the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 for the upcoming winter. These DM-V1 are simply amazing....A great thread pattern that gives wicked snow and slush traction but also provides an exceptionally smooth and quiet ride.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Racer

Waiting to get more details on the Michelin X-ice Xi3's that came out this year and will be available in September per TireRack. These actually come with a tire warranty of 40,000 miles, and are supposed to be Michelin's latest and greatest effort on the snow tire front. Would run $178 each for 225/60R18's, while Blizzak DM-V1's were $165 each for 235/60R18's but no longer show as available on the TireRack website. A tread warranty is pretty unusual for winter tire's, and with that rating these would last me years...anyone with insight on the previous generation of Michelin's (Xi2) or insider knowledge of the Xi3's?

Per TireRack:
The X-Ice Xi3 is Michelin's third-generation Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans, family vans and small crossover vehicles that are looking for ice and snow traction along with predictable handling in cold, dry and wet wintry conditions. Meeting Michelin's Green X standard* for low rolling resistance confirms the X-Ice Xi3's contribution to reducing vehicle fuel consumption and emissions of CO2 gases. The X-Ice Xi3 is designed to take on ice and snow while it provides lasting winter performance.

Michelin's FleX-Ice silica-based winter tread rubber compound (offers firmness at higher temperatures for wet and dry road stability while it remains flexible at lower temperatures to enhance packed snow and ice traction) is molded into a directional tread design that helps evacuate water and slush to improve hydroplaning resistance. Independent shoulder and intermediate tread blocks feature a combination of multiple micro-pumps and variable angle Cross Z Sipes to deliver traction on ice- and snow-covered roads. Additionally, the Cross Z Sipes increase tread and shoulder block stability to provide the lateral and longitudinal stiffness that enhances treadwear and driving precision on dry and wet roads. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by a spirally wound nylon to optimize the tire profile while enhancing high-speed capability. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter / snow tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Racer

Michelin is also offering a $70 rebate on a set of four, knocks the Xi3's down to $160.50 each....rebate ends in September...tempting...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have always run Blizzaks in the winter and wouldn't drive in the winter without them. Once you experience snow tires you will always run them in the winter.

I'm looking at the ws-70s for my RDX plus a set of rims for about $600 additional. This can be steep, but I have found that I would spend $150-$200/yr switching tires, so in just a few years the rims are paid for. Plus, all that salt doesn't eat away at my summer rims.

If you are in a snowy region, I highly suggest the winter tires, even with AWD.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Racer

Went and ordered the Michelin X-Ice Xi3's through Tire Rack. $178 each, but they have a $70 promotion from Michelin good through 9/3, and a $50 program they just added for buying a set of 4 tires good through sometime in Oct. Drops cost down to $148 each, for a premium winter tire with a 40,000 mile tread warranty.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ What size did you go with? The 225/60R18? And type of rims?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Racer

225/60R18, they only sell the 235/60R18 in the Xi2. For rims, using the original one's from the RDX for winter, I bought the accessory wheels and I'm using those for the summer.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Sculldog...That is a smart decision! In retrospect, I should have done something similar and buy accessory wheels and use the OEM wheels as a winter rim. I love the accessory wheels from the MDX and likely would have been the way I would have gone but where they threw in the steelies and TPMS, and already had some 17 inches blizzak, this is the most economical way for me to proceed. Thanks for the clarification....
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reno Acura is recommending Blizzak 235/60R18. If purchased there, they will mount the winter tires and store the stock set for a one time fee. Then in Spring, will take the Blizzaks off, re-mount originals, and store the winter treads. Sounds like a great deal as we can switch/store tires twice a year with no expiration date attached.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Sculldog3, this is an educational thread - it's September in Idaho, and I'm thinking of winter tires now for a '13 RDX.

The best winter tires for my neck of the woods would be narrower than 235mm - for more downward pressure - and something taller than the '60' profile - adding more ground clearance for deep snow.

In a perfect world, I'd buy a set of 225/70R18s.

There are options in OEM 235/60R18 and in 235/65R18, but I haven't found any in 225/70R18 or even 235/70R18. Has anyone else?

thanks in advance.