MDX and RDX price difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I programmed an address into my RDX today while driving to another state for a funeral using voice commands for the first time. With absolutely no clue how to do it I muddled through and found that it was fairly easy to do. Wasn't real fast but, hey, I was driving 200 miles on an expressway so I had plenty of time.
Second day in a row DW tried to enter an address and the nav wouldn't allow the checked-a-bunch-of-times number and street to be entered(manually). Wasn't a case of north-or-south wherever...it just wouldn't allow the correct address. It's also oddly inconsistent on multiple-location businesses, listing some locations of restaurants or retail stores and not listing others in the same area(for many years...not new locations). Not sure whose 'fault' it is; but the Volvo nav doesn't have the same limitations(has plenty of others, however).
Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by de-pro
I am going to compare apples to apples. First off, Nissan's reliability and long term value does not even come close to an Acura. As a matter of fact, not even an Infiniti does.
I had leased for 4 years my 05 Nissan Maxima. I tell you it was a fun car to drive with the 6 speed stick, however during the 4 years, I had quite a few issues with it as well as several recalls. I used to hate taking the car to the dealership due to the lousy customer service they were providing. Remind you, they were treating their Infiniti customers much better. They even had a separate service desk for those Infiniti customers which was always my biggest pet peeve.
I chose to replace that leased car with my 09 TL. Initially I was going to go with an 09 G35 however the lease payments ended up much higher for the vehicle that was identical in price to my TL. Do you want to know why? The TL had much higher buy back value after the 4 years lease term than the G35, which helped drop my lease price.
Nissan's and Infiniti's do not hold their values like Honda and Acura's do.
During the 4 years I had my TL, I never had any issues with the car and only took it to the dealer for the regular maintenance visits. As of today, the TL was one of the most reliable cars I ever owned. That's one of the main reasons I decided to stay with Acura when I needed an SUV and spending a few dollars more for it, is worth minimizing the long term aggravation factor.
Makes sense!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, even if the typing was ok, I think that the styling of the RDX is exceptionally BORING with a capital B. Acura has done a very poor job with this. And no blind spot monitoring system? Huge omission in a car of this class, even the Mazda CX-5 has this and it costs $10,000 less. And did I mention rain sensing wipers? Well, the CX-5 has it as well and the RDX doesn't. Oh must I mention that the CX-5 tows 2000 lbs despite being a 185 hp 4-cylinder and the RDX only tows 1500 lbs...another huge mistake.

I'm sure there are plenty that will find the RDX a good buy, for me I think it just doesn't cut it for the asking price and class of vehicles.

While I did find the interior of the Acura RDX pleasant, it is not adequate for the $38,000-40,000 price tag. It was rather cheap looking and did not have the upscale feel of the MDX interior. Where are the wood accents? What's up with that cheap looking aluminum like it was pulled from a Civic? Are they trying to push off the RDX as some kind of budget vehicle while they reserve the luxury interior for the MDX? The RDX should've had the same MDX type interior just in smaller dimensions. Look at a BMW, all BMWs have the same great interior theme... whether it is the X1 or the X5.

Last edited by thejavagod; 04-19-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thejavagod
well, even if the typing was ok, I think that the styling of the RDX is exceptionally BORING with a capital B. Acura has done a very poor job with this. And no blind spot monitoring system? Huge omission in a car of this class, even the Mazda CX-5 has this and it costs $10,000 less. And did I mention rain sensing wipers? Well, the CX-5 has it as well and the RDX doesn't. Oh must I mention that the CX-5 tows 2000 lbs despite being a 185 hp 4-cylinder and the RDX only tows 1500 lbs...another huge mistake.

I'm sure there are plenty that will find the RDX a good buy, for me I think it just doesn't cut it for the asking price and class of vehicles.

While I did find the interior of the Acura RDX pleasant, it is not adequate for the $38,000-40,000 price tag. It was rather cheap looking and did not have the upscale feel of the MDX interior. Where are the wood accents? What's up with that cheap looking aluminum like it was pulled from a Civic? Are they trying to push off the RDX as some kind of budget vehicle while they reserve the luxury interior for the MDX? The RDX should've had the same MDX type interior just in smaller dimensions. Look at a BMW, all BMWs have the same great interior theme... whether it is the X1 or the X5.
I'm thinking that based on what you value you might not buy the new RDX.
The following users liked this post:
Sculldog3 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but seriously ask yourself why so many people have cross-shop the RDX vs other 38-40K crossovers and decided to buy. i've been in the interior of the latest X3, RX, Q5 and to me it's not worth the extra 5-10K to my eyes. Throw in the expected reliability factor and its a hard combination to beat. My 150K RSX with a "weak" 2.0 engine still looks great and drives like a beast after 10 years. I fully expect the RDX to follow suit so I can overlook the lack of wood trim and "cheap" accents. did I mention the "cheap" RDX interior was recently awarded one of the 10 best new interiors by Wards Auto?

Last edited by rsx2rdx; 04-19-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Sculldog3 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

well, to clarify, I am not saying the RDX is a *bad* vehicle, what I am saying is that I expect a lot more from a brand like Acura. What I expected from the RDX is a mini-MDX but it's not quite. I really love the MDX but it's too big for me, I don't want to drive such a big vehicle... I was hoping the RDX would be an MDX in a smaller version but alas it isn't at all.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Instructor

well, to clarify, I am not saying the RDX is a *bad* vehicle, what I am saying is that I expect a lot more from a brand like Acura. What I expected from the RDX is a mini-MDX but it's not quite. I really love the MDX but it's too big for me, I don't want to drive such a big vehicle... I was hoping the RDX would be an MDX in a smaller version but alas it isn't at all.
Stylewise, it already looks like a baby MDX from the exterior which is attractive enough to interest buyers. hopefully they make a few tweaks in the next refresh for you. I think they have room for one more trim and personally would have been willing to pay 2k more for the BSM, rear vents and height adjust passenger seat.. It's not a difficult problem for Acura solve. I think they needed to sell some cars first which they are obviously succeeding at with this model.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Style, design, accessories, what's luxury, what's not.....these are all subjective..period. So, if you don't like it don't buy it. Those of us that own one....love them for what they are and for Acura's reputation for quality and resale value. Other makes haven't made it there yet...or may never quite make it.

There is a reason that so many different sources rate the MDX as one of THE leading larger SUV's made. The RDX is made using the same thought processes. It may not be everything to everybody......but, it's just right for what I was looking for...and apparently many others.
The sales of Gen 2 vs Gen 1 is over double.
They did something right and it's a niche market.

The RDX is not trying to be like the MDX....if so the price would be much higher!

For thejavagod.....how did you manage to have 11,300 posts and have zero thanks and thanked zero times in zero posts?? Amazing! Just asking...no disrespect at all.

Buy your BMW and tell us how it is holding up for you at the 6 mo, 1 yr, 2yr, 3 yr points. I've known way too many people who've owned a BMW...any model.....and regretted the numerous mechanical issues....repair costs, service costs, etc. They still like other things about them....they just are way too pricey to keep and drive. Mercedes the same thing. Read up on both of them...on their customer satisfaction....their reliability. It's in the tank!!!
Sculldog3 (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Last few posts are dead on, thanks for saying what I'd say, and have said, in this and other threads. I truly feel that the RDX hits a particular sweet spot of features, performance, luxury, style and reliability that is hard to beat. Add the fact that it is a niche product, and not one you see that often on the road, and I couldn't be happier my purchase decision.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bottom line is sales numbers speaks volumes. Other SUV's are selling better.

Only being able to tow 1500 pounds tells me that the weak link is the transmission. Almost every SUV on the road is able to do that with a base 4 cylinder.

Last edited by DeMAN; 04-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DeMAN

Only being able to tow 1500 pounds tells me that the weak link is the transmission. Almost every SUV on the road is able to do that with a base 4 cylinder.
What sales numbers would you be referring to?

March 2013 Sales
Lexus RX = 9,072
RDX = 3875 (about twice the Gen1 sales)
Audi Q5 = 3,099
BMW X3 = 3,031
Lincoln MKX = 2354

Plus the RDX had more sales than the Infiniti JX and EX combined of 2,779!

So just what sales do you mean?
H_CAR (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Racer

What sales numbers would you be referring to?

March 2013 Sales
Lexus RX = 9,072
RDX = 3875 (about twice the Gen1 sales)
Audi Q5 = 3,099
BMW X3 = 3,031
Lincoln MKX = 2354

Plus the RDX had more sales than the Infiniti JX and EX combined of 2,779!

So just what sales do you mean?

Nice group except today that list has grown. SUV's of today are equipped the same way or better than any in this group. You also left the Cadillac SRX in the list which sold 4368. BMW also has X1 to compete with that takes some of the X3 business.

You load any of those up with all the options and most would be almost $7-10k higher than the loaded RDX.

Buyers of today's SUV's that was fertile ground for the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura is now ripe picking for other SUV's large and small.

Buick Enclave, Chevy Treverse, GMC Acadia take market from Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura (MDX).

The Korean Pair Santa Fe/Sorento are in this also, matching and exceeding options available in the RDX.

Resale value always keeping popping up, but when choosing whether to buy used when you can get the latest bells and whistles for equal or less, more are choosing.....

For me, the 2013 Touring loaded Accord over the RDX and day of the week. Yes I know it a car, but I'm getting more for my money and it has you know, great resale value

I could go on but hopefully you are getting the picture.

Last edited by DeMAN; 04-21-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Racer

Nice group except today that list has grown. SUV's of today are equipped the same way or better than any in this group. You also left the Cadillac SRX in the list which sold 4368. BMW also has X1 to compete with that takes some of the X3 business.

You load any of those up with all the options and most would be almost $7-10k higher than the loaded RDX.

Buyers of today's SUV's that was fertile ground for the likes of Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura is now ripe picking for other SUV's large and small.

Buick Enclave, Chevy Treverse, GMC Acadia take market from Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura (MDX).

The Korean Pair Santa Fe/Sorento are in this also, matching and exceeding options available in the RDX.

Resale value always keeping popping up, but when choosing whether to buy used when you can get the latest bells and whistles for equal or less, more are choosing.....

For me, the 2013 Touring loaded Accord over the RDX and day of the week. Yes I know it a car, but I'm getting more for my money and it has you know, great resale value

I could go on but hopefully you are getting the picture.
I get the picture you're trying to paint but it's a mess. Again, if you can't tell a Kia from Lexus or a Chevy from an Acura than there just is no point in discussion. You know if helps to actually sit in and drive these cars versus looking at columns of equipment and seeing that one has heated rear seats and the other doesn't. Most people could really care less about that stuff and care more about how the car drives, will it have decent resale, will I be stranded or in the shop a lot, etc. Little electronic trinkets are entrancing and people say "oh, look, I have a heated steering wheel, this Kia has more than than an Acura" so therefore it is better. LOL.

And no, I believe SMART people that buy used tend to buy quality cars with good resale because they figure they can get quite a few more fairly trouble free years out of them. The reasons the others are so cheap used is because SMART people won't pay top dollar for them, bells and whistles not withstanding. In fact, most people would rather have a good quality car with less cheap bells and whistles to break down the road.

Since you seem to just want cars, are you just in here to bash Acura suvs in general or what? I really don't get your motives unless you just have nothing better to do.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Burning Brakes

I drove 3 SUVs today back to back:

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/Tech pkg. 184hp, 185 lbft torque
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 240hp, 270 lbft torque
2013 Acura RDX 273hp, 251 lbft torque

My observations:
Acura RDX had the nicest interior but the Ford Escape was close behind. The CX-5 left a bit to be desired. Some fit and finish miscues on the Ford but nothing major. Ford Escape had a MUCH nicer Sony sound system than the Acura ELS - I was just shocked by this. I'm very particular about sound in my vehicle and I was surprised that the ELS didn't sound too good at all (I know it won awards etc. but it did not sound good to me despite trying to fiddle around with the settings) - I was listening to radio though. The CX-5's BOSE sound system was ok, but a notch below the ELS IMO.

Ford Escape had the best driving dynamics, it felt much more nimble and fun to drive, acceleration felt a bit quicker than the RDX and there was no noticable turbo lag that I felt. The RDX felt heavy and vague in it's steering unlike both the Escape and CX-5 that felt more precise.

The Ford MyTouch system was very confusing to use. Acura's system was way simpler. However, after I figured out the Ford it was not too big of a deal.

Acura was a bit more luxurious than both of the others but it's almost $10,000 more as well!!!

I really liked the blind spot monitoring on the CX-5 and Escape. The Acura did not have this feature.

Escape can tow a phenomenal 3500 lbs, thanks to the 270lb-ft of torque (more than the RDX despite it's 4 cyl) mated to a capable tranny, the CX-5 can tow 2000 lbs and the Acura comes in last at 1500 lbs. I wish the fans would quit making excuses for this glaring omission. The word "Utility" in Sport *Utility* vehicle means that it needs to have more towing than a car!

Road noise at 80mph:
Acura RDX and Ford Escape - tie : Both were very quiet, I expected this level of refinement in the Acura but was pleasantly surprised at the stellar job Ford has done in this regard!
Mazda CX-5 - significant road noise at 80mph

Fuel economy - Ford Escape wins, CX-5 second and last is Acura RDX due to it's V6.

The Escape comes with a Panorama sunroof which is pretty nice, the CX-5 doesn't, nor does the Acura.

Last edited by thejavagod; 04-22-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Burning Brakes

pretty sharp looking with 19" wheels
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Racer

I drove 3 SUVs today back to back:

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/Tech pkg. 184hp, 185 lbft torque
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 240hp, 270 lbft torque
2013 Acura RDX 273hp, 251 lbft torque

My observations:
Acura RDX had the nicest interior but the Ford Escape was close behind. The CX-5 left a bit to be desired. Some fit and finish miscues on the Ford but nothing major. Ford Escape had a MUCH nicer Sony sound system than the Acura ELS - I was just shocked by this. I'm very particular about sound in my vehicle and I was surprised that the ELS didn't sound too good at all (I know it won awards etc. but it did not sound good to me despite trying to fiddle around with the settings) - I was listening to radio though. The CX-5's BOSE sound system was ok, but a notch below the ELS IMO.

Ford Escape had the best driving dynamics, it felt much more nimble and fun to drive, acceleration felt a bit quicker than the RDX and there was no noticable turbo lag that I felt. The RDX felt heavy and vague in it's steering unlike both the Escape and CX-5 that felt more precise.

The Ford MyTouch system was very confusing to use. Acura's system was way simpler. However, after I figured out the Ford it was not too big of a deal.

Acura was a bit more luxurious than both of the others but it's almost $10,000 more as well!!!

I really liked the blind spot monitoring on the CX-5 and Escape. The Acura did not have this feature.

Road noise at 80mph:
Acura RDX and Ford Escape - tie : Both were very quiet, I expected this level of refinement in the Acura but was pleasantly surprised at the stellar job Ford has done in this regard!
Mazda CX-5 - significant road noise at 80mph

Fuel economy - Ford Escape wins, CX-5 second and last is Acura RDX due to it's V6.

The Escape comes with a Panorama sunroof which is pretty nice, the CX-5 doesn't, nor does the Acura.
I forgot to mention the Ford Escape. Its also worth noting thats its second in the world sales only to the Honda CRV.

Great comment also:

Escape can tow a phenomenal 3500 lbs, thanks to the 270lb-ft of torque (more than the RDX despite it's 4 cyl) mated to a capable tranny, the CX-5 can tow 2000 lbs and the Acura comes in last at 1500 lbs. I wish the fans would quit making excuses for this glaring omission. The word "Utility" in Sport *Utility* vehicle means that it needs to have more towing than a car!
Their has to be a misprint on towing capability. The 4 Cylinder CRV can tow 1500 pounds.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
My father in law seems to be under the impression that his 2012 Kia Optima is every bit the car that my 2010 AWD TL is, and we have this very debate all the time. His kia has nav and a back up camera but the screen has terrible resolution and a tiny screen that's the size of my iPhone. He just "checks the box" under has nav and backup camera, and sees that his door sills light up and my TL's don't. Ultimately it's all about personal preference and while the screens may have the same durability quality, they don't have anywhere close to the same visual and usability quality.
Additionally, I rent 3-4 cars a month with National and drive a host of SUV's that are fully loaded (or close) and none of them have the overall quality of the Acura lineup. That being said, I'm typically driving the Traverse, Enclave, Escapes, and Explorers, and not the higher end Audi or BMW products.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

There is no doubt that the RDX has a more refined interior than the Escape and that the RDX also has better fit and finish, but it's also $10,000 should I remind you and the RDX aims to be a luxury car while the Escape does not. That said the Escape is not far behind in luxury and comfort and I feel technically it is every bit as good as the RDX and in some aspects better.

The main area of concern with the Escape that it is powered by Microsoft Reliability is also a big issue. I have to do some research on this.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Racer

There is no doubt that the RDX has a more refined interior than the Escape and that the RDX also has better fit and finish, but it's also $10,000 should I remind you and the RDX aims to be a luxury car while the Escape does not. That said the Escape is not far behind in luxury and comfort and I feel technically it is every bit as good as the RDX and in some aspects better.

The main area of concern with the Escape that it is powered by Microsoft Reliability is also a big issue. I have to do some research on this.
I'm sorry, but in making your case you have exaggerated greatly on the price difference. The Escape Titanium 2.0T MSRP is about $32,015. The RDX base which is equipped similarly to the Titanium is $35,615. A difference of $3600, NOT $10,000. Add in that the RDX has full leather seating which is an upgrade on the Escape and a 4yr warranty and the price difference is minimal. I'll still take the RDX.

I looked at an Escape and I felt the interior was a little cramped(98cu ft vs. 103cu ft on the RDX) and there wasn't anywhere to put stuff around the driver position. Also the rear end was just ugly to me. Every time I see one on the road and see if from behind I just say God, that rear end is butt ugly. By the time I optioned it the same as the RDX it was pretty close in price and after a couple of Ford dealership experiences in my past I'm not about to pay the same for something with less warranty and a shoddy service dept which feels less luxurious in the first place and is not a premium or luxury car with associated dealer experience.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Further to what your saying, and this is my opinion, I find that the interior of the Acura is so much better than that of the Escape. Ford's interior is too "a la Focus" and is no where near as refined as that of the RDX. Lets revisit the interior of the Escape in 5 years now and lets see which one has aged better? I saw a 2006 White TSX the other day and despite being 7 years old, its design language was simply gorgeous, very few cars can pull that off.

Again, this is just my opinion and only expressing my views to strengthen your argument. I am with you on that one
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
You guys that are so "taken" with the Escape...do me/us a favor.....go buy it! And at the 2 or 3 yr point let's compare notes....and % wise the value of yours vs our RDX's. Oh, and how many re-calls...and TSB's to fix things, etc, etc. What looks good on paper and a tiny little bit on what you view in person just does not hold up in the long haul. Bet my RDX title on that!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry, but in making your case you have exaggerated greatly on the price difference. The Escape Titanium 2.0T MSRP is about $32,015. The RDX base which is equipped similarly to the Titanium is $35,615. A difference of $3600, NOT $10,000.
There is a $2k factory rebate on the Escape and the RDX AWD with Tech package is more like $39,000 not $35k like you claimed. I am comparing the two cars with the options I want, it's $31k for the Titanium AWD with panorama roof, nav and the rest of the gizmos which is similar to the RDX AWD with Tech package. And what am I getting for putting premium gas and lower fuel economy in the RDX? Pretty much just burning my money for nothing - it can't even tow more than 1500 lbs and the performance is pretty much no different than several other Turbo 4 SUVs.

One of the negative points of the RDX was it's lackluster styling - read any of the multitude of the reviews and that will be a common theme.

Last edited by thejavagod; 04-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Further to what your saying, and this is my opinion, I find that the interior of the Acura is so much better than that of the Escape. Ford's interior is too "a la Focus" and is no where near as refined as that of the RDX. Lets revisit the interior of the Escape in 5 years now and lets see which one has aged better? I saw a 2006 White TSX the other day and despite being 7 years old, its design language was simply gorgeous, very few cars can pull that off.

Again, this is just my opinion and only expressing my views to strengthen your argument. I am with you on that one
Excuse me? design language??? HAHAHA! that's surely got to be a joke. Acura and Lexus vehicles are some of the most boring styled vehicles I have seen. Perhaps they resonate with some audiences who prefer that kind of thing but personally I like the bold look ala Audi Q5 and even the Volkswagen Tiguan/Tuoareg or the Range Rover Evoque.

Actually if Acura had refined the Turbo 4 and styled the RDX along the lines of the previous model it would've been infinitely better but they converted the RDX into a minivan which is regrettable. All about sales I guess. The previous RDX was much more fun to drive and looked great as well, this current iteration not at all.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

2014 AWD RDX with tech package at carsdirect.com is $40,515, that's a lot of money for a vehicle with so many shortcomings and omissions.

2013 (2014 is not out yet) Escape Titanium AWD with Nav/Panorama roof is $31.5k after rebates

Note that the Escape comes with 19" wheels and other options that the RDX does not even offer. The $3.5k price difference is a gross exaggeration.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Racer

There is a $2k factory rebate on the Escape and the RDX AWD with Tech package is more like $39,000 not $35k like you claimed. Get me an RDX AWD with Tech package for $35,000 and i'll buy it tomorrow! And what am I getting for putting premium gas and lower fuel economy in the RDX? Pretty much just burning my money for nothing - it can't even tow more than 1500 lbs and the performance is pretty much no different than several other Turbo 4 SUVs.

One of the negative points of the RDX was it's lackluster styling - read any of the multitude of the reviews and that will be a common theme.
Like I said, the base RDX is very similar equipped to the Escape Titanium. You don't even get a back up camera or full leather seats on the Escape at the price I quoted. Or a 4 year warranty. I wonder why Ford is offering $2000 rebates on a brand new, redesigned vehicle if it's so great. Nobody pays MSRP on the RDX either. It sounds like you love the Escape or anything other than a RDX. You really should buy, find their forums and be with other happy campers instead of just bashing Acura. I really don't understand why people come in here and do that. Do they have a chip on their shoulder or something. I have never went into other forums and argued that my RDX is better than the Escape or any other SUV out there. It just seems kind of silly.

My numbers were right off cars.com MSRP prices. You should do some research of your own and actually provide some facts. There is no reason to compare the Tech package RDX to the Titianium as you have to add another $3000 to the Escape as well and the difference is still about $3000. So if you want a Ford for $3000 cheaper than an Acura and a car that will depreciate more and give you more problems over the long run than I will never come on your Escape forum and tell you it was a bad decision. Trust me!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

geocord, your math if off. Carsdirect.com is what I used...listed at $40,515, selling for MSRP no discounts.

I fully equipped an Acura RDX with Tech package, why should I use a base Acura and compare it with a fully loaded Escape? That is what you are trying to do and it makes no sense whatsoever.

Escape Titanium AWD with Panorama sunroof and Nav - the same tech in the Acura with the Tech package.

The reason you do not want to add the Acura tech package is that it is overpriced at almost $4000 - ELS surround audio, Nav system, GPS linked climate control, power tailgate, Xenon headlights...

On the Escape Titanium power tailgate is standard and so is high end audio and HIDs. Nav is $750. Panorama sunroof (which is unavailable on the RDX) is $1300 more which I added. With both Nav and sunroof it's $31.5k and this includes more equipment than the RDX with Tech package (except for that GPS linked climate control which I have no use for!) - 19 inch wheels, blind spot monitoring system - both also unavailable on the RDX.

Last edited by thejavagod; 04-22-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Instructor

geocord, your math if off. Carsdirect.com is what I used...listed at $40,515, selling for MSRP no discounts.

I fully equipped an Acura RDX with Tech package, why should I use a base Acura and compare it with a fully loaded Escape? That is what you are trying to do and it makes no sense whatsoever.

Escape Titanium AWD with Panorama sunroof and Nav - the same withtech in the Acura with the Tech package.

The reason you do not want to add the Acura tech package is that it is overpriced at almost $4000 - ELS surround audio, Nav system, GPS linked climate control, power tailgate, Xenon headlights...

On the Escape Titanium power tailgate is standard and so is high end audio and HIDs. Nav is $750. Panorama sunroof (which is unavailable on the RDX) is $1300 more which I added. With both Nav and sunroof it's $31.5k and this includes more equipment than the RDX with Tech package (except for that GPS linked climate control which I have no use for!) - 19 inch wheels, blind spot monitoring system - both also unavailable on the RDX.
That is like comparing a Ford Explorer with a Toyota Landcruiser. Buttons and tech crap is one thing but build quality is something else. If you are only going to own it while it is under warranty and have a lot of time to take it to the dealer get the Ford. Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Racer

Escape Titanium AWD with Panorama sunroof and Nav - the same tech in the Acura with the Tech package.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand English. AS I HAVE SAID for the third time, I compare the base RDX to the Escape Titanium because they are the equipped about the SAME! I know what the MSRP is for the RDX AWD w/Tech as that is what I have. The Titanium does not come standard with full leather seats($895 upgrade), does not come standard with NAV($795 upgrade), does not come standard with a backup camera(technology pkg or whatever it's called). That is why I used the base RDX for comparison. If you add all that to the Escape it is around $35k. So with the RDX awd w/tech is about $5000 more than a comparably equipped Ford. While I admit it is more than I originally said, it is not close to the $10,000 difference you were saying several times to make a point. Again, what is your point? If you think the Escape is a better deal and a better vehicle....buy it. I don't like the Escape for the reasons stated and wouldn't buy it if it WAS $10k cheaper like you seem to think. Maybe I'll check out of this thread and go over to the Audi Q5 thread and tell all those people how much of a better deal the RDX is but what would my point in doing that really be?

I'm done with this conversation. You'll have to find someone else to argue with are try to convince a Ford is as good as an Acura just because it's comparably equipped and a little cheaper. It is what it is.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Javagod, I'm not going to try convince you on RDX since you've already formed an opinion, but you seem to be a pretty tech savvy guy so I'll use this analogy..

Acura is like Apple and Ford/Hyundai/Mazda are more like HP or Dell. Apple can charge a premium on there stuff and people are willing to pay because Apple stuff has a good reputation and just works well. If you liked the iPhone 4, it worked so well you traded it in for the iPhone 5. Of course, sometimes it's frustrating because Apple gives you less (iPad mini, where's the HD???) but you'll still end up buying it because you don't want to deal with the headache of the alternative and associated viruses, malware, blue screen of death, etc.. Not that Ford doesn't currently make some interesting product and market it even better, but if you've been burned badly once, you might not want to waste your time looking.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Excuse me? design language??? HAHAHA! that's surely got to be a joke. Acura and Lexus vehicles are some of the most boring styled vehicles I have seen. Perhaps they resonate with some audiences who prefer that kind of thing but personally I like the bold look ala Audi Q5 and even the Volkswagen Tiguan/Tuoareg or the Range Rover Evoque.
I accept your opinion and certainly not trying to sway you in any way, but for me, as much as I find Audi's and Range Rover nice when they come out, they age poorly, as with Hyundai. Acura tend to be bland at first but with time, they age so much better than most. Look on how many people are still found of the Legend...how many talk about the old Poney?! Even the 4G TL which was severly bashed at first, people are now loving its design and appreciate their look, and even many the 3G owners are coming around.

Again, this is just my opinion and I respect your view and hopefully, even though you can respectfully disagree with me, you can also respect my view
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
It's all about personal experiences and preferences. I have owned 2 Fords and they were both completely crap cars that constantly had issues. I currently own 2 Acura's and they only require routine maintenance. Additionally, they've held their value far better than the Ford products and my TL managed to protect my pregnant wife in an accident which is priceless. I've never wrecked a Ford, but my personal experience leads me to never want another brand of vehicle ever again. I'm sure you'll each have your own.....
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ ...and we all know about the Pinto and their amazing safety rating (lol)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Racer

Even the 4G TL which was severly bashed at first, people are now loving its design and appreciate their look, and even many the 3G owners are coming around.
Not. I get a 4G model now when my 06 is in for service. The 3G's still stand tall. It will also stand tall against the 5G.

The Escape in the Ford family is not the match for the RDX. That would be the Edge. The prices between those two are actually fairly close (RDX and Edge)

Great point have been made back and forth. My point on this is while I know Acura will be Acura, others have joined and offer options that were left to the Likes of Acura, Lexus and Infiniti. They just didn't exsist 4 years ago.

You had to choose the Acura mainly along with Infiniti and Lexus to get those option at a somewhat reasonable price. That's all changed

Is Acura at the next level above a Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, Kia; I would say yes. However, now those option that were available on Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are now on all but the Rio in the Kia family.

Hyundai/Kia sales and Acura were about dead even 04-06 time frame here in the US. Thats changed with styling and options. Acura, Lexus and Infiniti would still have that margin had H/K not started to put options on their vehicles.

BMW has now created a 1 series. MB now with the 250 series coming soon. All of this is an attempt to keep their buyers in the fold. Same when for Lexus with the I series which I think is their best looking car.

Acura is changing the names on all their models to get people to take a second look. The ILX has the Buick Verano, and Cadillac ATS which Acura would have had all to itself. (The Verano (Excelle) is the #1 selling car now in China.) You will see entries from Hyundai and Kia in that market soon. All of those I might add are being made to operate on 87 octane fuel.

Will Acura, Lexus and Infiniti hold their resale value better going forward? Sure, because they will be rare.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Racer

I think everyone is so hung up on "bells and whistles options" that they forget the basic quality engineering, dependablility, resale value, dealer experience, warranty, driving experience, etc. If one just wants bells and whistles they can buy any car today. But you still have to pay a bit more for a real quality vehicle. Has the gap narrowed some? Sure, and so have the prices.

2013 RDX AWD w/Tech = $40,315
2013 Edge Ltd. AWD 3.5L = $39,800
2013 Escape Titanium AWD = $36,345

These are pretty much loaded MSRPs and discounting will take place across the board as nobody pays MSRP. Actually there was another pkg on the Edge you can get(driving nanny stuff) which would have put it well above the RDX but since the RDX doesn't offer(heaven forbid) that stuff I didn't add that pkg in. But I think, relatively speaking and for comparison sake, MSRPs are what you have to go with. Ten years ago would anyone have believed that a comparable Ford would cost just $500 or so less than an Acura??? I think Acura has held the line on prices fairly well while many of the mainstream brands have greatly increased their prices. Guess what the base price on a Toyota, yes I said Toyota, Land Cruiser is. $79,550!

Last edited by geocord; 04-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Not. I get a 4G model now when my 06 is in for service. The 3G's still stand tall. It will also stand tall against the 5G.
I hope I didn't imply that ALL 3G owners now love the 4G....I even said "many of the 3G owners..." as I know that the 3G owners have a fine looking vehicle. Again though, it supports my claim that despite being a 2004-2008 model life, look on how well this vehicle has aged. Can you say the same about a Ford model between 2004-2008, or a Hyundai?

I am not trying to convince everyone, and quite frankly, I am not 100% on board with the design decisions made by Acura these days as well, but that being said, they still offer a very good product and as many have said, offering all the goodies does not make the car better....Best example...Why are stoves, fridges and most everything else now not as good as they were back in the days? Because they are being outsourced to cheaper market where quality is not the priority but the bottom profit. I would love for Acura to throw in a few extra features in their car because I also feels its lacking a few perks....I'd love a HUD, a heated steering, power telescopic steering and power steering feel adjustable but looking at some of the Ford's interior makes me appreciate the elegance of the Acura and it will age much better than that of the Ford Escape ... IMO .... with the emphasis on the M ... (my)
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Racer

I'd love a HUD, a heated steering, power telescopic steering and power steering feel adjustable but looking at some of the Ford's interior makes me appreciate the elegance of the Acura and it will age much better than that of the Ford Escape ... IMO .... with the emphasis on the M ... (my)
I would actually rank the New Hyundai Santa Fe interior to be closer to the RDX than any of the value base SUV's. The Bells and whistles are comfortable to the RDX.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I would never tow with my vehicle and cannot recall the last time if ever that I saw an RDX towing anything, so who cares. If you need a vehicle to tow, get a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I would never tow with my vehicle and cannot recall the last time if ever that I saw an RDX towing anything, so who cares. If you need a vehicle to tow, get a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi.
I'm speaking of a couple Jet Ski's. Come down south and you will see several things being towed.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I would like to think we are all adults here and are each entitled to our own opinions. If you are reading this post, that tells me you are an educated consumer that either does research before purchasing something or an educated consumer looking to share the joy of your purchase with others and learn something along the way.

While I don't agree with everyone's points (it'd be a pretty interesting debate in my head wouldn't it? lol) I think some good points have been expressed.

To reiterate, you are the only person that can really determine whether vehicle X is better than vehicle Y to YOU. Value is, in my opinion, an emotion and a very personal one at that.

I personally chose my RDX because to me it had the best value for the money based on the options I wanted and was looking for.

That being said, Java - which vehicle are you leaning towards now?
I never did look at the Ford ones since I didn't like the outside, but what else are you considering?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have never towed anything with any of my vehicles but I'm not going to lie - I wish my RDX could tow more than it does. Will I need it or use it? I'll never know until I need to.

If I needed to... I'd call my father in law to loan me his 2004 MDX!

LOL

Quick Reply: MDX and RDX price difference